PDA

View Full Version : lower isn't always better

funkydog
2002.04.09, 07:48 PM
Before i always thought lowering your car was always an improvement but I guess I was wrong.

My setup was a superlowered setup (the chassis would sometimes scrape against the track), in the front: 3 degree camber, soft springs, and 25 degree gpm tires, in the rear was the stiff springs for both the roll and rear shocks, and those super sticky shimizu tires.

It was great cause it was really easy to turn into a corner, but i had problem getting out of the corner. It would take too long, my back was always taking it's time.

So i unlowered the car, back to stock height, and now my car has enough momentum to swing out of the corner. I guess i was getting to much grip b4. THe sticky back tires changed the whole dynamic of my car.

Just sharing my experiences.

Chow.

diego50
2002.04.09, 08:24 PM
One thing I learned is that lowering the front of the Mini Z increases UNDERSTEER, especially in low speed corners.

Lowering should be done as a TUNING feature, when setting up for a particular track layout. In other words, it really depends on the track. Sometimes, its good to keep the ride height stock, sometimes, a bit of lowering helps.

Wedginator
2002.04.10, 06:27 AM
lower the car just a bit... i wouldn't slam it down cuz that will limit the suspension travel and make everything slow.... just lower it enough to keep the CG low so that it won't flip the car when you're cornering.... remember just a bit.....

MATT TINDELL
2002.04.10, 04:22 PM
Yes it does matter on the track but as Wedginator said to much is not good. On carpet i don't recommend lowering much or a track with lots of bumps or jumps( it slows u down 2 much but turning might be better)

Hope This Helps;)

Strider-
2002.04.10, 05:54 PM
Of course it isn't that good...you said yourself "superlowered" ???
You're like comparing a car with 30degree camber compared to a 2degree...of course it isn't good....extremes are never good.

Alan
2002.04.12, 12:37 AM
I am not sure if you lower the rear of the Z's as well, we have two ways to doing it:

1) Remove the triangle board at the back.

2) Adding washers between Motor mount and 'H' plate.

Either way help especially for high speed car. Hope this help!

PorscheGuy964
2002.04.12, 12:51 AM
I have done somthing alittle different. I haev lowerd the front of my car but not the rear. Since its tilting downward now the weight transfer to the front is more even now. It also gives me better traction on turn in. And since I like to use 2 degrees of toe in I kinda need that extra traction;) . does anybody else use this or similar setup? It is up to your driving style but and preference but its worth a try;)

Alan
2002.04.12, 01:07 AM
PorscheGuy964,

Agreed with you, that everyone get his own driving style, I have tried to use the point 2 (per my message) and believe that the point 2 will have better performance, however, it roll over all the time. I give it up and use the point 1. Roll over wont happen again, what I can say!

FenDer BenDer
2002.04.14, 05:08 PM
I lowered my NSX (in the begining just for looks) but now I can notice a huge diff..a friend of mine just got a NSX and has almost all of the same parts on it as me..so I tried his at normal ride height, it was kinda funny to drive seemed to turn like a bus, then we lowered it and it was alot more stable in the turns and had a better tire path (the relation ship or tracks of the front tires as compared to the rear)..so all the above post are true..everybody is diferent and everyone drive there car different and set-ups are based on tracks and drivers so it is really hard to say "lower your car and it's better" the best thing to do if you wanna lower you car is try it in steps and see what works for you.
also a lower car with poor tires will always lose to a car with higher ride height and better tires..everything is a facture in your car - tires - springs - body style - wheel base - toe in/out - camber - downforce - and these are just the tip of the iceberg..it takes a while to get YOUR car the way YOU like it and the key word is YOU do it for yourself take you time and have FUN..

my 2 cents

Scoobaru
2002.04.14, 06:03 PM
i totally agree with FenDer. i started out with my TT running normal ride height and then with mods here and there, i decided to try and lower it. running a lower front end gave me problems with the body and so forth, so that was a no go. then i lowered the rear and noticed that the grip of the tires was actually enhanced. but the negative to this was that the suspension travel was shortened. i've been running it this way for a few months now and for some odd reason, i tried raising it back to normal height. what i noticed was, the car handled better than lowered with the same tires. and plus, acceleration has improved and i find the rear damper and roll shocks actually perform their duties more now. but i do notice more body roll now. so the next thing i will do is play with the springs and so forth. all in all, what this long boring story is leading to is, have fun with your Z and determine what works for your driving habits. something that's right for me, might be a total disaster for you. hey, tweaking the Z to your liking is sometimes more enjoyable than actually racing it right?.... heeheee.....

scoobaru:D

Redline
2002.06.15, 03:30 AM
I know of a company that makes a Lightweight Aluminum front Bulkhead for the cars, and the thing with this is that the bulkhead has the ability to raise and lower the frond end according to the drivers specs... This is great because it makes for an awesome tuning tool, its very percise and great machining, mine works awesome.. If you have any ?'s about it and maybe want some pics of it seperate and on a car email me!

herman
2002.06.17, 12:03 AM
redline... any pics?