PDA

View Full Version : 2006/2007 Racing Season Announcement

AtlRC
2006.10.31, 01:55 PM
Everyone ready for the new racing season? Well, dust off those cars and letís get racing!

I have a few changes to announce for this season.

First, we have a new location! I have talked with the owner of Hobby Mart on Alpharetta Highway and he (Miguel) has graciously agreed to let us begin racing in his shop. In addition to being a nice location, this will give us the advantage of having a track available for practice all week during the normal business hours. Practice use of the track will be free! We eventually plan to have a complete line of Mini-Z parts and accessories available.

Last year we raced on Sundays. This year we will start out racing on every other Saturday from 1 to 5. The first race will be held on Saturday 11/11/06.

This season, we will be racing on an RCP track (2 wide L's) using the same Core lap counting system as last year. If we have enough room, we may expand the track with another wide L. We may also switch to a custom track later in the season.

We will now start charging a small entry fee of $5.00 to cover some of the costs of racing.

Continue to use these forums to discuss our racing endeavors. Hope to see everyone there again this year.

Let the racing begin!

Here is the address and phone number for Hobby Mart:
11235 Alpharetta Hwy
Roswell, GA 30076
(770) 740-2915

briankstan
2006.10.31, 02:50 PM
hopefully you can fit in HFAY into your schedule now that you will have the RCP tracks and the Core Timing system. :D

wsaenotsock
2006.11.02, 01:58 AM
Hey! I just bought a xmod and looking to race or just mess around on a track with one. I'd love to come out sometime and check out the track. I used to race quite a bit in 1/10th electric and gas touring a few years back at Indian Trail and Sugar Hill. I believe I know Miguel, didn't he used to run his shop off of P'tree Ind.?

I built a tiny track in my kitchen for fun. A couple of pics.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/turbogti8/DSC01844.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/turbogti8/DSC01828.jpg

AtlRC
2006.11.02, 01:13 PM
Hey wsaenotsock,

Yep, same Miguel. He did run the shop off of P'tree Ind.

We'd love to have you come race. I got the layout set up last night and will put rails on in the next day or two, then set up the pits, computer (lap counting), Monitor (for race stats), and sound system (automated race announcements). I'll post some pictures when it's ready.

Do come out and race with us with your X-Mod! I'll let you try a Mini-Z too. It's a very different experience than the X-Mod.

Hope to see you soon,
-Patrick

wsaenotsock
2006.11.02, 01:53 PM
Are the XMods at a big disadvantage? I've only driven mine a few times. It does have the new Evo chassis. I drove a 1st gen Xmod and the Evo steered way better. I plan on doing some upgrades like going from a 4 cell to a 2 cell lithium setup and swapping out to Mini-Z wheels so I can run wider tires. Definitely switch to ball bearings and do a AWD conversion. Hopefully it's competitive.

briankstan
2006.11.02, 02:12 PM
the xmods are at a huge disadvantage when racing against Mini-Z's of any type.

they Xmod EVO's are a great start. I would suggest improving your driving skills prior to spending the money on the Xmod right away. You may find that you like the Mini-Z better.

If you are racing Xmods against Xmods then then you are all set with the EVO, The AWD kit is nice, and the switch to Mini-z wheels is a good start.

the bearings are also a good idea, they will remove some of the slop in the wheels.

good luck and just have fun with it.

Shaun
2006.11.02, 05:02 PM
I got the layout set up last night and will put rails on in the next day or two, then set up the pits, computer (lap counting), Monitor (for race stats), and sound system (automated race announcements). I'll post some pictures when it's ready.

Be sure that the textured side of the RCP Track is facing up before you attach all the rails.

AtlRC
2006.11.02, 06:04 PM
Are the XMods at a big disadvantage? I've only driven mine a few times. It does have the new Evo chassis. I drove a 1st gen Xmod and the Evo steered way better. I plan on doing some upgrades like going from a 4 cell to a 2 cell lithium setup and swapping out to Mini-Z wheels so I can run wider tires. Definitely switch to ball bearings and do a AWD conversion. Hopefully it's competitive.

I agree with brainkstan.

I started with X-Mods. I was thinking that they could be improved enough to compete easily with the Mini-Z's. I did a couple of mini reviews (on another web site) of the old and new style X-Mods as I have both. My final conclusion was that the new X-Mod could be improved in most areas with the exception of the steering. I never found a mod that would improve the steering to what I thought was acceptable to take the car seriously. I felt like the steering's feel, speed, and tracking (centering) was not acceptable and not improveable to an acceptable level. The Mini-Z's steering is great right out of the box! Feels about as good as a good 10th scale car.

Once you drive a Mini-Z, I'm betting that you'll wish you hadn't invested any money for mods for the X-Mod. That's just my opinion, but don't let that stop you from coming out and having a good time. Bring your X-Mod and have some fun, or I have a few extra Mini-Z's if you'd like to race with one!

-Patrick

Shaun
2006.11.02, 06:16 PM
Patrick - Will the track be ready for some practice laps this Saturday?
Me and Chad would like to come out and run some laps and help get everything ready.

TruReaper(Chad)
2006.11.02, 06:31 PM
Yeah its been awhile since i have ran mine...got re set them up and would like to asap cant wait to start racing again or just running them again

wsaenotsock
2006.11.02, 09:02 PM
Good info everyone. I might just skip the mods to the Xmod and just leave it stock for messing around and pick up a Mini-Z for racing.

What about the I-Waver? I just starting reading about them and they seem like a good deal for the price. Anyone here race with one?

hpgod
2006.11.03, 07:11 AM
The trick to make the xmod steer is to raise the rear ride height is to run the rear springs not clicked into the rear spring retainer. especially in the awd setup. I did the at the xmod event at atlanta. and had a chance in the finals til howart nailed me when he was already 2 laps down. 2wd mode it is too much unless grip is way way up. MiniZ out of the box is faster and handles way better and holds up way better over time.

I might bring my nefew out to race with yall, congrat on the new local

Art Shull

wsaenotsock
2006.11.03, 10:12 AM
I like the idea of having AWD so I'm leaning towards the Mini-Z MA-010 chassis. The I-Waver is only available in RWD. If it's anything like 1/10th scale the only way to go is AWD. There were no RWD TC's, there was no point since they couldn't keep up.

AtlRC
2006.11.03, 11:01 AM
Good info everyone. I might just skip the mods to the Xmod and just leave it stock for messing around and pick up a Mini-Z for racing.

What about the I-Waver? I just starting reading about them and they seem like a good deal for the price. Anyone here race with one?

Well, after messing with the X-Mod, I thought the new I-Waver would be a nice alternative to the Mini-Z... nice price and they look nice... once again, no luck for me. I ordered two of them, and tried to get them to behave well to no avail! After all the frustration, I sent them both back. Once again, the steering was not up to par for me... and they were cheaply built. The bodies are actually nice and the radio is not bad, it looks nice and has some nice features, but once again, it's pretty cheap. I believe the Mini-Z is superior to the new I-Wavers and worth the higher price. However, the old I-Wavers that were exact copies of the Mini-Z were pretty darn good! Shaun ran one with us and it seemed to be just as competitive as the Mini-Zs.

Hope this helps.
-Patrick

AtlRC
2006.11.03, 11:14 AM
I like the idea of having AWD so I'm leaning towards the Mini-Z MA-010 chassis. The I-Waver is only available in RWD. If it's anything like 1/10th scale the only way to go is AWD. There were no RWD TC's, there was no point since they couldn't keep up.

Yes, I agree, the AWD Mini-Z is a cool car! The only problem with that right now is that you'd be the only one with one. You might want to come check out what we are racing before making a purchase. Our 2wd Mini-Z's with a few hop-ups and the VDS bodies are really sweet! We'll let you take them for a spin.

It would be fun to eventually get a AWD class started. If you get one now, you could run in our open class with it. We haven't limited that class to 2wd. So you could use it, but be aware that the competition level is a bit higher in the open class.

-Patrick

AtlRC
2006.11.03, 11:21 AM
The trick to make the xmod steer is to raise the rear ride height is to run the rear springs not clicked into the rear spring retainer. especially in the awd setup. I did the at the xmod event at atlanta. and had a chance in the finals til howart nailed me when he was already 2 laps down. 2wd mode it is too much unless grip is way way up. MiniZ out of the box is faster and handles way better and holds up way better over time.

I might bring my nefew out to race with yall, congrat on the new local

Art Shull

Thanks hpgod!

Sounds good! I'll have to try that with my AWD X-Mod. I still think the X-Mod's steering feel, granularity, and centering is not as good as the Mini-Z's, but anything that improves it would be great. Thanks for the tip!

I'd be interested to talk more about the X-Mod tournament with you! That sounded like a lot of fun. I wish I knew it was going on so I could have went.

Hope you guys come out and join us!

-Patrick

hpgod
2006.11.03, 11:54 AM
I agree the xmod steering was not as prcise, I tightened up my steering using epoxy on the steering spindle to reduce the slop. That race was 2 summers ago at the nopi nationals and the grand prize was a $125K acura nsx I walked off with a gift bag with all the xmod upgrades sold at the time and gave them to my nepfew. It was the first time he ever got to race and loved it. If the traction is present 2wd will blow the doors off awd with this size motor IMO.

Arthur Shull

AtlRC
2006.11.03, 12:52 PM
Patrick - Will the track be ready for some practice laps this Saturday?
Me and Chad would like to come out and run some laps and help get everything ready.

I'll be at Hobby Mart Saturday morning around 11:00. The track is setup except for the rails. I'll be bringing another table for pits, chairs, lap counting system and other stuff. If anyone wants to show up to help attach rails and then begin running on the track, that would be great.

I've already talked to Shaun, and it sounds like he and Chad will be there to help setup then run some laps. Anyone can join us, just show up if you'd like.

wsaenotsock
2006.11.03, 04:01 PM
Nice, I might show up and help.

I don't mind running in an open class with AWD. I rather lose and work to get better than get an easy win. I might be the guinea pig and pick one up and see how it does.

AtlRC
2006.11.03, 04:04 PM
Nice, I might show up and help.

I don't mind running in an open class with AWD. I rather lose and work to get better than get an easy win. I might be the guinea pig and pick one up and see how it does.

Cool! Everyone is anxious to see one!

Hope to see you there.