PDA

View Full Version : Single user lap counter

gnehcoel
2006.11.05, 11:15 PM
I have a mini-96 at home ... just wonder if there is a really really cheap single user lap counter that you guys are aware of? If you guys have some DIY ideas ... please let me know

All I need is:
1) pre-set timer (say 5 mins or 8 mins)
2) lap counter results for each lap
3) only needs to count one car (just racing by myself)

thanks in advance...

rharris
2006.11.05, 11:38 PM
Spoon (another user in the forum) has a DIY laser lap counter. It's cheep and easy to build.

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20805

Spoon
2006.11.06, 09:23 AM
I have a mini-96 at home ... just wonder if there is a really really cheap single user lap counter that you guys are aware of? If you guys have some DIY ideas ... please let me know

All I need is:
1) pre-set timer (say 5 mins or 8 mins)
2) lap counter results for each lap
3) only needs to count one car (just racing by myself)

thanks in advance...

The one thing that the lap counter will not do is give you times for each lap. It will count any race from 1-10 minutes (in 10 minute increments) or it will count 1,5,10,25,50, 100, etc laps (I forget the exact breakdown).

It will tell you your single fastest lap though. It's very accurate and could even be used for HFAY solo time trials.

HaCo
2006.11.06, 11:38 AM
There is a laptimer for but racers or something like that, can't find the link right now...

rharris
2006.11.06, 03:47 PM
Ok, Hijack in process...

It's very accurate and could even be used for HFAY solo time trials.

I think someone should market a HFAY race circuit.

2 Wide L's
2 Mini-z MR-02's
1 cheep timer (Laser based time trial only version)

I bet you could get the cost down to around $650 and still make a small profit. Then put the thing in CostCo and Sam's Club all over the country.

Think anyone would buy it?

rharris
2006.11.06, 03:49 PM
Spoon...

Do you think it would be posible to put your laser system into the rails of the RCP track?

That way, you wouldn't need a flag, the car would break the beem.

It would be pretty cool if Kyosho or RCP made a finish line setup with a laser counter built in.

Spoon
2006.11.06, 04:04 PM
Spoon...

Do you think it would be posible to put your laser system into the rails of the RCP track?

You could do it pretty easily I would guess. The only catch is that you would have to make sure the holes lined up perfectly.

Well now that I think about it, if you knock the rail you may upset the beam or receiver. If you cut the rail and mounted the system just outside of the track it would work pretty well I think.

Thinking about it, it's not too bad to use the flag and it's pretty portable. If someone could integrate the stand and the counter into one unit that would be worth while...

rharris
2006.11.06, 04:32 PM
I've been inspired!!!

I just picked up a microsizer lap counter on ebay... $8 shipped.

I'm going to build one of these as a Christmas present for one of our club mentors.

I'll try to build some type of cabinet to hold the timer and the laser. I'll probably use hobby grade ply, or MDF.

I'll post pics when I get it done. Probably not for a few weeks. I'm going to try to get the laser to go through the rails. I may cut the top of the rails (say 1" down and 1" wide?) and have the unit sit one inch away and see if I can get the car to break the beam.

I'll let you know.

cdog4w
2006.11.06, 07:30 PM
Sorry for the link to the cached version, but the real site is 404'ing.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:GJzmReEwkLAJ:www.schumacher.clara.n et/laptimer.htm+laser+lap+timer&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

To give a quick summary tho, find any laser source (laser pointer or something of higher quality) and build a parallel port cable using a phototransistor and use slot car/rc lap timing software. Build one for soloing (LBRC did and built it into his RCP rails as you suggested), or build a tower and use flags at different heights to trigger for different cars. Parts are cheap and all found at radioshack minus cheap laser sources.

rkk
2006.11.08, 06:07 PM
What software are people using these days? The link for the application referenced in the latency project build is dead.

cdog4w
2006.11.08, 06:21 PM
I'm using Laptime 2000 (http://www.gregorybraun.com/LapTimer.html). I've tried one or two others but this one has worked the best for me of the free software.

EDIT: use the google cache link I posted above for now, might be a good idea for someone to snag the page and cache it themselves?

rlc77
2006.11.08, 07:07 PM
What software are people using these days? The link for the application referenced in the latency project build is dead.
http://www.virtualracesystem.co.uk

Hope that's what you were looking for. :)