PDA

View Full Version : Don't get me wrong, I love my RCP, but...

rkk
2006.11.27, 01:09 PM
I kind of miss all the homebrew and DIY track threads. I know I went through at least 3 different designs and materials before I got my RCP track. Now I realize it is unlikely that anyone will design a nicer more useful modular track than the RCP but does anyone else remember latency's track. That thing was a work of art. Almost like a train layout. If anyone is still doing their own thing I'd love to hear about it.

ChrisJuliano12
2006.11.27, 01:19 PM
got a link to latency's track?

rkk
2006.11.27, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately I do not. It was hosted on his page http://www.latencyproject.com but it is not there anymore. I've tried to contact him for some pics but no luck. This site is up to date but my guess is no response = no more pics. Too bad too, I know he moved to RCP later but his original track was great. Someone else must have seen it and can back me up here.

arch2b
2006.11.27, 04:07 PM
i recall it well. it was very nicely done and decorated. he has since moved so i'm not sure what he has or is using anymore. you don't see him post much anymore and if you read his blog he's knee deep in motorcycle racing, work and his new house. not to mention his growing family :)

kevo1036
2006.11.27, 04:47 PM
Here's the link http://www.geekjoan.com/latencyproject.htm

ChrisJuliano12
2006.11.27, 05:33 PM
thats crazy, that must of taken alot of time and work

rkk
2006.11.27, 06:55 PM
Actually he did a lot more work on the track later. More scenery and changed the course layout slightly, but you get the idea.

BTW... If I'm not mistaken Latency was the one that did the "how to" for the laser lap counter refered to frequently here on this site.

overlandbasher
2006.11.27, 07:41 PM
I kind of miss all the homebrew and DIY track threads. I know I went through at least 3 different designs and materials before I got my RCP track. Now I realize it is unlikely that anyone will design a nicer more useful modular track than the RCP but does anyone else remember latency's track. That thing was a work of art. Almost like a train layout. If anyone is still doing their own thing I'd love to hear about it.

I had my garage carpeted with tight nap carpet, It is super grippy. Than bought foam tubbing that fit over half inch pvc,so it's real easy to change set ups. track is 22' X 21' then i picked up a trackmate system cool for racing 6 cars at once. i wish i knew how to upload photos

Ninja
2006.11.27, 11:30 PM
if you want to e-mail me your pics, I will host them and post them here. just e-mail them to me at lamfos(a)msn.com

rkk
2006.11.28, 05:46 PM
It seems like RCP may have completely cornered the market. OK, does anyone have pics of the tracks they raced on before they got RCP? Most of mine are up here in various places. I'll see if I can't find the pics to upload.

For informational purposes here is kind of my progression.

1. Simple PVC barriers on polished concrete. We'd put down a mixture of soda and water and let it dry to help with traction. Worked pretty well but just the opposite of a real track. The "line" would become worn and lose grip. Not to mention the PCV boarders were murder on an autoscale and the 01 servo gears.

2. I got into slot cars and decided I needed to make a modular track. I cut 2x2 squares and 90 degree corners out of plywood and masonite. I then covered these 5 mil (I think) pvc pond liner. It actually worked out pretty well if you were on a flat surface. I cut shims out of the masonite to account for any variance in track height at the joints. I used 1.5” pipe insuslation for the boarders. Problem with the track was the boarders were too short and the surface had too much grip even for stock tires and traction rolls were common. This track was extremely heavy and not very protable.

3. Stemming from my slot car interest I got into Epochs. I was also dealing with a smaller space to run and didn’t have access to any hard surfaces. At this point I bought about 300 square feet of a cheap Pergo rip off and had a simulated hardwood track. I went back to PVC barriers. This track had the opposite problem of my last track in that even the softest tires couldn’t seem to hook up.

4. Back into a place with enough room to run and to onset of the anti-fatigue floor mats. These were great, cheep, decent traction, and light (read easy to move). Ended up with about 80 tiles after raiding all the auto parts stores in my area. Again with the PCV barriers ( I always had to buy new PVC too). This would have actually been my last track had I not gotten a great deal on a bunch of RCP. I really liked this track but again the PVC is killer on a body. Plus the 24” lanes were a nice compromise between standard RCP and the mini96.

bolter9
2006.11.28, 06:19 PM
check my sig for picts of my pre-RCP track. Also there are some pics of my father-in-law's DYI track in the Christmas album. Apparently he's re-done eveyrthing with drywall bead for the barriers and put in more decoration- I'll try to get new pics when I'm there for Christmas.

I love DYI tracks- I thought long and hard about making a real "hobbiest" style track before getting RCP. However, I needed a track that could be taken down and put away easily, so RCP was the answer (and is obviously a very good track).

I still have hopes of building a high-end DYI track someday, complete with scenery and what not. An ideal solution would be to surface it with RCP tiles!

bolter9
2006.11.28, 06:22 PM
by the way, on my first track we lined the inside of the PVC barriers with weather stripping ...made the impact much more auto-scale friendly. Still not as good as RCP rails though.

rkk
2006.11.29, 02:50 AM
That is exactly what I was looking for. I'd love to do a track with "G" scale scenery.

bolter9
2006.11.29, 11:01 AM
check my sig for picts of my pre-RCP track. Also there are some pics of my father-in-law's DYI track in the Christmas album. Apparently he's re-done eveyrthing with drywall bead for the barriers and put in more decoration- I'll try to get new pics when I'm there for Christmas.

I love DYI tracks- I thought long and hard about making a real "hobbiest" style track before getting RCP. However, I needed a track that could be taken down and put away easily, so RCP was the answer (and is obviously a very good track).

I still have hopes of building a high-end DYI track someday, complete with scenery and what not. An ideal solution would be to surface it with RCP tiles!

DYI?? DIY..ooops! that's what I get for posting at work :p

mini raceland
2006.12.04, 11:28 AM
Hi,

First of all this is not advertisement since our company has not been operating for a while.
Please visit our website, still up and running, and hit this link:

mini raceland track (http://www.miniraceland.com/viewpage.php?page_id=1)

I share your feelings regarding RCP tracks. It is a good product and a commercial success. But I guess you, like me, miss a more "real looking track" option. Personally, I am proud of what I have done at mini raceland. The track looks really nice, it is portable (fits in my small Mazda Protege) and it can be assembled by one person in about 30 minutes (3 surface rolls + barriers). The grip is excellent (look for regupol in this forum) and the barriers are very kind with the cars. In addition to this, is the matter that turns are "real turns" in opposition to sharp 90 degrees corners that have many disadvantages.
Again, RCP tracks are fine and have made a big impact on this hobby but I hope that variety survives and people still get inspired by new ideas.

bolter9
2006.12.04, 11:43 AM
Hi,

First of all this is not advertisement since our company has not been operating for a while.
Please visit our website, still up and running, and hit this link:

mini raceland track (http://www.miniraceland.com/viewpage.php?page_id=1)

I share your feelings regarding RCP tracks. It is a good product and a commercial success. But I guess you, like me, miss a more "real looking track" option. Personally, I am proud of what I have done at mini raceland. The track looks really nice, it is portable (fits in my small Mazda Protege) and it can be assembled by one person in about 30 minutes (3 surface rolls + barriers). The grip is excellent (look for regupol in this forum) and the barriers are very kind with the cars. In addition to this, is the matter that turns are "real turns" in opposition to sharp 90 degrees corners that have many disadvantages.
Again, RCP tracks are fine and have made a big impact on this hobby but I hope that variety survives and people still get inspired by new ideas.

Great looking track!

rkk
2006.12.05, 10:20 AM
I agree the Mini Raceland track looks great. I love the idea that there are so many options with just minor updates.