PDA

View Full Version : New to F1 & Mini Z>>>

Phil Burr
2006.11.28, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone!! Just got the wife and myself a couple of F1's, these things are too cool!! Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the great site, lots of good stuff here. Now I just have to find a track in Arkansas??

Phil

wwwes
2006.11.28, 10:35 AM
Where in Arkansas are ya?????

Spoon
2006.11.28, 10:35 AM
Now I just have to find a track in Arkansas??

Welcome to the Z's...Where in Arkansas are you? There are a couple of racers in your state. Check out the map and add your location if you so desire.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=showmap2&mapid=2584898

wwwes
2006.11.28, 10:37 AM
No Really,

We Race F1 in the southwest corner of Arkansas on the Texas and Arkansas border. We have a 3 L rcp track with an expansion and a core system. Let me know where you are and if you would like to visit sometime.

briankstan
2006.11.28, 11:17 AM
No Really,

We Race F1 in the southwest corner of Arkansas on the Texas and Arkansas border. We have a 3 L rcp track with an expansion and a core system. Let me know where you are and if you would like to visit sometime.

Why are you guys not participating in the HFAY racing series. sounds like you have everything you would need...

www.howfastareyou.com

wwwes
2006.11.28, 11:41 AM
Why are you guys not participating in the HFAY racing series. sounds like you have everything you would need...

www.howfastareyou.com

Brian,

This is Wes Sp****r we have e mailed back and forth on a lot of mini z stuff. I have the packet and at our next meeting we will come up with a club name. Still pretty new to the club scene. We are just getting our feet under us to start getting serious about racing.

briankstan
2006.11.28, 12:27 PM
Brian,

This is Wes Sp****r we have e mailed back and forth on a lot of mini z stuff. I have the packet and at our next meeting we will come up with a club name. Still pretty new to the club scene. We are just getting our feet under us to start getting serious about racing.

Hi Wes... I didn't know your MZR Id.

let me know if you need anything. I'll do the best I can to help out.

Phil Burr
2006.11.28, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!! I live in Springdale AR the northwest corner. There used to be some tracks around but they all died out. May have to buy my own. Would just like to find someone close that's interested in this scale. Thanks again everyone for the welcome.

Phil

HammerZ
2006.11.29, 10:47 AM
No Really,

We Race F1 in the southwest corner of Arkansas on the Texas and Arkansas border.

Are you in Texarkana by any chance? I live about an hours drive away. About the only Mini Z I don't have is the F1 cars.

wwwes
2006.11.29, 11:22 AM
Are you in Texarkana by any chance? I live about an hours drive away. About the only Mini Z I don't have is the F1 cars.

Yes We are in Texarkana. We only race F1's but anyone is welcome.

HammerZ
2006.11.29, 11:37 AM
Cool, I may have to come down sometime. May need a little more info, like what hours and where in Texarkana. I have some RCP jumps that I may bring with me.

fastXracer24
2006.12.02, 07:05 PM
Hey all I am in Rogers Arkansas. Just thought I'd let you guys know becuase I am looking for a track in Arkansas as well. Preferably between Rogers and Fayettville. Phil would know where I am talking about.

Phil Burr
2006.12.02, 09:19 PM
Sweet man!! I am thinking about getting an RCP track an if I do I'll start holding some informal races at my house.....

Phil

imxlr8ed
2006.12.04, 08:45 AM
Please join HFAY...

Please join HFAY...

Please join HFAY...

Please join HFAY...

Please join HFAY...

Please join HFAY...

Please join HFAY...

:D

Phil Burr
2006.12.04, 02:42 PM
Hi guys!!!! Been driving my new F1 for awhile now and am having problems hooking up. I am driving on my concrete driveway and the only way to keep from swapping ends is to drive @ 1/4 throttle :eek: Everything is stock except SS kingpins, ceramic bearings, 30* front tires and 10* rear tires. Any help would be appreciated, I love the car but not impressed with the handling thus far.

Phil

briankstan
2006.12.04, 02:48 PM
if you are driving on concrete (driveway) you would be better off with the stock tires. the 20* fronts and 30* rears is the setup for RCP track. The stocks work best on the rough concrete.

Now if you are talking smooth concrete, like in a garage or basement then you are in a whole different situations, because you won't get much grip with any tire.

Phil Burr
2006.12.04, 03:50 PM
It did the same thing with the stock tires... It is rough concrete my driveway. I just don't get it? I thought for sure softer compound tires would do the trick but nadda.

Thanks for tha help!!

Phil

fastXracer24
2006.12.04, 05:09 PM
I think that different surfaces effect how a car handles. Actually it does. :rolleyes: It's like taking a formula one race car and trying to race on a closed off-road course. It is not going to perform like it would on a racing track meant for on-road race cars. What I am saying is that maybe the surface that you are racing on has something to do with your cars poor handling. I have heard from people that have F1 cars say they handle like a dream. Maybe it's the setup...

bolter9
2006.12.04, 05:33 PM
F1s take a bit more work to set up for a particular surface.

My first track used the garage floor as a surface- we had to run soft tires, soft suspension plates and a super loose ball diff to keep the cars from spinning (f1 and racer).

We also used tire traction compound, but that was only good for a couple of laps.

Granted, this was smooth concrete, but should apply to any surface with poor traction.

Is your car spinning in straight line accceleration or just in corners?

Phil Burr
2006.12.04, 07:47 PM
It's only when i'm turning the wheels, in a straight line it goes great!! But as soon as I turn left or right it trades ends. I have a ball diff coming maybe that will help.

Phil

bolter9
2006.12.05, 12:44 AM
It's only when i'm turning the wheels, in a straight line it goes great!! But as soon as I turn left or right it trades ends. I have a ball diff coming maybe that will help.

Phil

cool- the diff should go along ways towards getting your car to turn properly. you may have to do some experimenting to get the right setting- sometimes it just takes micro adjustments to find the sweet spot, but it will certainly help the turning problems.

I'd also recommend some of the carbon suspension side-plates- they offer flexibility wihtout the "bending" nature of plastic- should make a big difference too.

Of course getting the right tires are the most important, but once you have that down, these other things will help quite a bit.

wwwes
2006.12.05, 10:25 AM
cool- the diff should go along ways towards getting your car to turn properly. you may have to do some experimenting to get the right setting- sometimes it just takes micro adjustments to find the sweet spot, but it will certainly help the turning problems.

I'd also recommend some of the carbon suspension side-plates- they offer flexibility wihtout the "bending" nature of plastic- should make a big difference too.

Of course getting the right tires are the most important, but once you have that down, these other things will help quite a bit.

We have found the kyosho tires to have a little more grip than atomics. All of the cars we run have 30 front and 20 rear. Some members have tried 20 front and 10 rear atomics but they seem to have the opposite effect you would expect. They have very limited traction on our rcp surface. On your garage floor if it is polished, you will have problems no matter what tire you use. Even if it is slightly textured concrete it will be pretty slippery at best.

bolter9
2006.12.05, 10:57 AM
We have found the kyosho tires to have a little more grip than atomics. All of the cars we run have 30 front and 20 rear. Some members have tried 20 front and 10 rear atomics but they seem to have the opposite effect you would expect. They have very limited traction on our rcp surface. On your garage floor if it is polished, you will have problems no matter what tire you use. Even if it is slightly textured concrete it will be pretty slippery at best.

yeah the problem with running on concrete, especially garage floors, is that you have to basically de-tune the car in order to keep it from spinning.

The first thing I noticed when I got RCP was how much more responsive the cars were all around.

Even so, a lot of guys starting out in the hobby might not want to dump a bunch of money into a track- with a little effort, you can get a Z set up for concrete and still have a lot of fun!

Oh yeah, one more tip- periodically wipe the concrete down with a damp rag (then let dry). This will get rid of the fine layer of dust that collects, and will give you a lot better traction for a few races.

bolter9
2006.12.05, 11:06 AM
On more thing- check Joe's F1 setup (http://reflexracing.net/rr01.asp) article- it's for RCP, but he gives a good explination as to why softer tires aren't always the best for F1- as wwwes said.

Phil Burr
2006.12.05, 01:34 PM
Thanx so much. Very helpful indeed!!!

Phil

SaiTam
2006.12.05, 01:46 PM
Check my Video here: http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23518

Tires are extremly important to the F1, are you using Kyosho tires or Atomic?

I use Kyosho 30F/20R in the video.

I don't have much mods other than Bearings; Kingpin and a motor. I have never tired running on concrete though.

Hi guys!!!! Been driving my new F1 for awhile now and am having problems hooking up. I am driving on my concrete driveway and the only way to keep from swapping ends is to drive @ 1/4 throttle :eek: Everything is stock except SS kingpins, ceramic bearings, 30* front tires and 10* rear tires. Any help would be appreciated, I love the car but not impressed with the handling thus far.

Phil

Phil Burr
2006.12.05, 02:15 PM
I have Atomic Tires. I've got 10, 20, 30*. I'm gonna switch to 30 front 20 rear and see if that helps. I sometimes mix up some traction compound(sugar water) But I hate cleaning it up aterwards :D I get all kinds of traction with that. I found some interlocking foam squares at my home improvement store gonna try that as my racing surface. Anybody ever used these? Worht a shot they are cheap. Thanks again to everyone for helping the NEWB out.

Phil

briankstan
2006.12.05, 03:04 PM
I have Atomic Tires. I've got 10, 20, 30*. I'm gonna switch to 30 front 20 rear and see if that helps. I sometimes mix up some traction compound(sugar water) But I hate cleaning it up aterwards :D I get all kinds of traction with that. I found some interlocking foam squares at my home improvement store gonna try that as my racing surface. Anybody ever used these? Worht a shot they are cheap. Thanks again to everyone for helping the NEWB out.

Phil

lots of people have had experience with those. they make a nice track. if you do a search on that you will find lots of helpful info.

might want to check pricing as with what you end up spending you might be able to afford some RCP tracks.

Spoon
2006.12.05, 03:19 PM

Phil

RCP has mentioned that the can provide tiles cheaper per sq ft. than the store bought tiles. It may be a little tough to get in touch with him but it's probably worth a shot.

Find out what they cost, how much you want and see if RCP can come close to the price. Then you could just make your own rails and have whatever layout you want.

CedMan
2006.12.07, 12:35 PM
Do you guys find the car doesn't have a balanced steering? like one side is turning quite a bit sharper than the other side? I'm finding the chassis is a bit tweak ... anyone else has the same issue?

briankstan
2006.12.07, 01:35 PM
Do you guys find the car doesn't have a balanced steering? like one side is turning quite a bit sharper than the other side? I'm finding the chassis is a bit tweak ... anyone else has the same issue?

this is pretty common. you can adjust with some small shim washers under the suspension plates.

CedMan
2006.12.08, 02:45 PM
I see, so I should shim between the plates and the motor mount I assume?

-Ced

briankstan
2006.12.08, 02:51 PM
usually on the F1 you shim between the plates and the chassis, if one doesn't work try the other one.

on the MR-02 you shim between the H-Plate and the motor mount.

you can just try removing the second screw on the plate from the chassis. I know several people that run that way.

Phil Burr
2006.12.09, 10:59 AM
IT'S OFFICAL!!!! I LOVE my F1!! I went and bought some faom mats, put 20* grooves up front, 30* grooves in tha back, along with green rear springs, -2* spindles and a 0* tie rod. This thing is AWESOME!! So hooked up and simply flies. O yeah a Kyosho ball diff too. Thanks to everone for the advice and puttin up with a NEWB. Now I just gotta get my wifes "almost" the same way. :D

Phil

CedMan
2006.12.11, 12:34 PM
Cool, I shim between the plate and the motor mount and the problem went away, but the sad thing is I has a bad crash and my plates are broken .. need to wait for parts again ... bummer ...

bolter9
2006.12.11, 02:14 PM
IT'S OFFICAL!!!! I LOVE my F1!! I went and bought some faom mats, put 20* grooves up front, 30* grooves in tha back, along with green rear springs, -2* spindles and a 0* tie rod. This thing is AWESOME!! So hooked up and simply flies. O yeah a Kyosho ball diff too. Thanks to everone for the advice and puttin up with a NEWB. Now I just gotta get my wifes "almost" the same way. :D

Phil

Right on! glad to hear you got it dialed in. I've got a friend who just started racing with us, and after two races, he's going to buy an F1 as his first mini z. He drove a couple of my MR02s, and prefered the F1.

thought that was kinda funny...

Phil Burr
2006.12.15, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the help!! I now have this oversteer to one side problem as described above? When I turn to the left at speed the back end comes around. Which side should I shim on?

Phil

bolter9
2006.12.15, 03:05 PM
Thanks for all the help!! I now have this oversteer to one side problem as described above? When I turn to the left at speed the back end comes around. Which side should I shim on?

Phil

If the back end is coming around, that doesn't necessarily indicate that you're having a problem with oversteering or understeering (from tweak or otherwise). Loss of traction in the rear could result from other problems such as suspension or wire binding, improper diff setting/installation, imbalanced tire wear, etc.

I know a lot of guys here have tweak in their chassis, but in all honesty, I've never had enough tweak in 10 mini Zs (F1 or racers) that it noticeably affected my steering. Same goes for the handful of guys I race with.

Anytime you have steering problems with an F1, one of the first things to check is the front knuckles- if the posts that go into the tie rod get even slightly bent, your steering will go south. Since the knuckles are exposed, this can happen from frequently hitting the walls of your track (as I know ;>)

That's not to say you shouldn't check for tweak though...

Phil Burr
2007.03.08, 09:32 AM
Hate to drag up an old thread but I FINALLY got my F1 to handle decent!! I got a setup board(perfectly flat) so I could get accurate readings, then used the following combo to get rid of the lefthand oversteer problem that so many has had a problem with.

30* Front Left tire
20* Front Right tire
20* Rear tires
Yellow springs on the left side front and rear
Red springs on the right side front and rear
Soft carbon plate on the right side
Stock plate on the left with the second screw removed

I know this is an INSANE setup but the car handles very good now. Before all this tweaking, I checked for tweak and sure enough it had some, too much to shim out. So if you are having this same problem try this setup. Some people have said it's a molding error in the chassis, so I did not want to take a chance on buying a "new" one and it having the same problem. Sorry for the long post just wanted to pass this along. Hope it helps somone.

Phil

Fish
2007.03.08, 12:55 PM
You're right, it is an insane setup, but if it works :p . You said there was too much tweak to shim out, I guess that means something is warped badly?

bolter9
2007.03.08, 01:50 PM
Sounds pretty major if you couldn't tweak it out.

I guess I've been lucky haven't had to tweak any of my chassis (13), and I'm always checking for equal steering.

Glad you got it a good setup!

fastXracer24
2007.03.09, 08:20 PM
I while back I had oversteer on my Mr-02. I found out that the stock bushings were shot so I bought bearings. The best upgrade in the world. In my opinion. :D What I am saying, maybe one of the wheels is a little tight. That is why you had to have the set up that you have.

WHICH IS THE MOST INSANE SET UP I HAVE EVER HEARD OF!!!! lol :p :eek:

Phil Burr
2007.03.09, 10:21 PM
That couldn't have been the case, the day I got the car I put ceramic bearings all the way around. Both of my front wheels spin forever :D

Phil

grymg
2007.03.12, 11:40 AM
Whenever I tighten down the front wheel nuts, the wheels don't spin freely. Is there a mod you can do where you can tighten down the wheel nuts as tight as you want while the wheels still spin?

bolter9
2007.03.12, 01:45 PM
Whenever I tighten down the front wheel nuts, the wheels don't spin freely. Is there a mod you can do where you can tighten down the wheel nuts as tight as you want while the wheels still spin?

No need for a mod, just tighten the nuts all the way, then back them off a turn or so (that's standard procedure). Make sure both front wheels spin freely and equally– if one is tight, the car will pull.

lfisminiz
2007.03.12, 07:37 PM
Does it seem like the Atomic alum knuckle axles should be longer? You dont have much bite with the wheel nuts. I turned the nuts the opposite way to get them on better. Anyone else?

HaCo
2007.07.03, 01:59 PM
Hi,
I have just ordered an F1 chassis. It should be a new one with 3010 FETs (It's the McLaren of J-P Montoya).
I would like to know what tires are stock on this chassis, does somebody know this?

Apart from bearings and king pins, I also ordered the FRP Side plates of Atomic. Does somebody know how they compare to the stock one and to the Carbon ones of Kyosho?

I also ordered the rear shock from Atomic, anyone ever tried that one?

Anyway, hope to recieve my chassis this week and hope to burn some RCP next friday... :D

grymg
2007.07.03, 03:57 PM
I believe the stock tires are Kyosho 50 compound front and rear.

For RCP try Kyosho rear 20 and Kyosho front 30. The fronts last a long time but the rears don't last too long (6 runs). We've tried the rear 30's and they last longer but don't hook up as well. It's the price you pay I guess.