PDA

View Full Version : Radio Recommendation

bemoore
2006.12.05, 07:51 PM
Christmas is coming. I'm thinking of a radio upgrade. I would like to get something not too expensive. According to our rules, it must be AM. I would like one that can be converted for left handed operation. I would like to experiment with using my slot car throttle finger. My steering with my left hand can't be worse than my right hand. I would also like something that is compatible with the simulation software that Patrick has.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

cswarfield
2006.12.05, 09:09 PM
Futaba 3Pk

arch2b
2006.12.05, 09:13 PM
here is the search results for transmitter, http://mini-zracer.com/forums/search.php?searchid=634768

builthatch
2006.12.05, 09:31 PM
I would like to get something not too expensive. According to our rules, it must be AM.

Futaba 3Pk

haha :p :p :p

supafastsupra2
2006.12.05, 11:24 PM
I use the Hitec SRX with the Futaba module, but this tx wont let you change to a left handed steering, but its is cheap ($100+ the module)

bemoore
2006.12.06, 08:04 AM
Futaba 3Pk
$300+. Wow. How do you define "not too expensive"? That's a little out of my price range. Also, how do you define "AM"? This appears to be an FM only transmitter.

bemoore
2006.12.06, 08:05 AM
here is the search results for transmitter, http://mini-zracer.com/forums/search.php?searchid=634768
When I clicked on that link, I got the following message:
"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"

Spoon
2006.12.06, 08:49 AM
It cant be swapped lefty and I don't think that it can be connected to any simulation software but the Futaba 2PL is a great low-cost radio.

soyverde
2006.12.06, 09:17 AM
Rather than complaining about the link, you could always just look for the "search" link above and enter "transmitter" to reproduce the intended results. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I do not think you will be able to find one that fits all your requirements. Specifically the left-handed option (along with "not too expensive"). You can easily find inexpensive AM digital radios (I would recommend the Airtronics MX-A, followed closely by the Futaba 2pl 27mhz), but I haven't seen a left-handed option on a sub $300 AM 27mhz capable radio. Good luck, though.

bolter9
2006.12.06, 01:02 PM
pretty straight forward- 2Pl for under $100, but unfortunately you won't get left-handed compatibility.

My Airtronics M11 can be switched to left hand, but it's a $300 radio. (and you have to buy the AM module like the 3PK).

bemoore
2006.12.06, 01:31 PM
Rather than complaining about the link, you could always just look for the "search" link above and enter "transmitter" to reproduce the intended results. :rolleyes:
I wasn't complaining. Since he is a moderator, I thought he might want to know that his link didn't act as expected. Sorry if I came off that way. I know how to use the search function. The lack of results from a search on left handed transmitters led to my original question.

Unfortunately I do not think you will be able to find one that fits all your requirements. Specifically the left-handed option (along with "not too expensive"). You can easily find inexpensive AM digital radios (I would recommend the Airtronics MX-A, followed closely by the Futaba 2pl 27mhz), but I haven't seen a left-handed option on a sub $300 AM 27mhz capable radio. Good luck, though.
I'm beginning to think you're right. The left hand option seems to add a LOT to the price. I'll probably opt for the MX-A, and then maybe try hacking up my KT-5 for left handed use. Another option I did discover from a search is an alternate way of holding the transmitter. I tried it a little (not controlling a car) and it felt OK. I'll try it at the next race and see.

briankstan
2006.12.06, 02:13 PM
any specific reason that you want a left handed one? I'm left handed and haven't noticed a difference in them.

Oh wait, maybe that's way I'm running mid pack in the OLPS... :p

I guess if you have used one and are use to it, then it might make a difference.

soyverde
2006.12.06, 04:17 PM
I wasn't complaining. Since he is a moderator, I thought he might want to know that his link didn't act as expected. Sorry if I came off that way. I know how to use the search function. The lack of results from a search on left handed transmitters led to my original question.

Sorry, I guess I took it as "that wasn't very useful"...obviously I took it the wrong way (arch was only trying to help, as always).

It's funny, you'd think it would be a no-brainer to create a left-handed version of any of these mid level (digital AM) controllers, as it would probably just require a new plastic mold. I have had one of iwaver's futaba clones apart and though it is a tight fit I imagine it could be reversed with relative ease (i.e. no significant board changes). I guess there is not enough of a market at that level to warrant a separate mold and assembly run? That or it actually would require a different board layout, in which case I'm completely wrong about the cost differences involved.

bolter9
2006.12.06, 05:53 PM
Sorry, I guess I took it as "that wasn't very useful"...obviously I took it the wrong way (arch was only trying to help, as always).

It's funny, you'd think it would be a no-brainer to create a left-handed version of any of these mid level (digital AM) controllers, as it would probably just require a new plastic mold. I have had one of iwaver's futaba clones apart and though it is a tight fit I imagine it could be reversed with relative ease (i.e. no significant board changes). I guess there is not enough of a market at that level to warrant a separate mold and assembly run? That or it actually would require a different board layout, in which case I'm completely wrong about the cost differences involved.

Seems like it would be pretty easy- the orignal xmod controller (of all things) could be switched to left hand.

bemoore
2006.12.07, 08:16 AM
I don't think a company could justify a new mold just for a low volume product like this. A left handed version would be even lower volume. You could, however, justify a design that could be easily converted. As shown by the XMOD transmitter, it doesn't have to be expensive to get this feature. But the manufactures appear to have consciously decided to NOT offer this unless you pony up a lot of $$. I'm having a little difficulty justifying $300+ for a radio for a $100 car. I don't know why. I race slot cars where I have a $200 controller for a $50 (or less) car.

arch2b
2006.12.07, 08:34 AM
if i could make any suggestion, it would be NOT to spend more than your comfortable doing so. if you just looking for a better than stock qaulity, there are plenty that are in the $100 or so range. i personally would NOT reccomend a $300 tranmitter unless you intended on using it alot or it's within your means to do so. otherwise you've just bought something you will end up selling off for about 75% of what you paid for it.

i want to clarify (may have nothing to do with this conversation here) you CAN do very well and be successful with a minimum of spending. there are MANY people that do very well with very stock setups and in some cases using stock transmitters. mini-z racing DOES NOT have to be an expensive hobby.

bolter9
2006.12.07, 12:20 PM
i want to clarify (may have nothing to do with this conversation here) you CAN do very well and be successful with a minimum of spending. there are MANY people that do very well with very stock setups and in some cases using stock transmitters. mini-z racing DOES NOT have to be an expensive hobby.

I think this is a great point. Sure there are nice things about more expensive controllers, but it really comes down to driving skill. The controller can help with tuning, but it doesn't necessarily make you a better driver.

referjohn
2006.12.07, 01:55 PM
if i could make any suggestion, it would be NOT to spend more than your comfortable doing so.

i want to clarify mini-z racing DOES NOT have to be an expensive hobby.

totally agree with the above the above comments from arch

off subject a little, but i got into mini-z's due to cost to repair
ratio is almost nil, plus the support we get from other memebers
like ARCH, BOLTER9, PLUS MANY,MANY OTHERS=YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE
thanks again.

back on subject,please check thread in members only, i started a poll about inexpensive am radios asking user's to post comments.
i am hopeing that this helps you,others and myself to make a good choice
in purchasing a inexpensive am radio

btw, sorry about left handed issues VS> controller
my DAD,lefty,60yrs, drives my cars with no real issues,although
he too,would like a cheap lefty,controller

Ninja
2007.01.10, 01:43 AM
man too bad I tossed all my old KT-5 radios when I moved this last time. I think a simple mod would suffice the steering re-location. I understand the idea that since you use your right hand to control the throttle on your slot cars (no steering needed) so using that hand for throttle on a radio would be a great Idea. I think that since the steering on a KT-5 is a simple pot with a neutral center. you may be able to simply re-locate the potentiometer to the other side of the board, and simply drill a hole for the steering shaft to protrude from. I might try it with another old transmitter of mine (Iwaver KT-2 clone) and see what happens. :D