PDA

View Full Version : Setting Diff's

remo10
2006.12.12, 12:06 AM
Ok i have just converted my Mr02RM to a MM,new Diff (PN ti) and PN LCG motor mount with a PN fS motor with a pn dics damper set,soft springs in front and med in the rear . Do i need to set my diff? Every time i come out of a turn and try to speed up it spins out of control! I run on foam mat set-up and am running soft tires all around. I don't recall my RM ever beening this much out of control. I expected that with all the nice upgrades the car would just handle better than stock!

CrashTestJohnny
2006.12.12, 12:46 AM
Ok i have just converted my Mr02RM to a MM,new Diff (PN ti) and PN LCG motor mount with a PN fS motor with a pn dics damper set,soft springs in front and med in the rear . Do i need to set my diff? Every time i come out of a turn and try to speed up it spins out of control! I run on foam mat set-up and am running soft tires all around. I don't recall my RM ever beening this much out of control. I expected that with all the nice upgrades the car would just handle better than stock!

Try loosening the diff varying amounts until you like it. It'll have two effects,

1.) The wheels can spin easier at different rates under turing, so you'l be applying less force to the tires, and hopefully improve you traction.

2.) If the diff is loose enough it will have the effect of a clutch, e.g it will
slip a bit, and keep the wheels from loosing traction. Granted this isn't the best for the life of the ball diff, but it is how I run my AWD with the diff in
the rear.

Also, a taller (larger) pinion might help since it will reduce the amount of torque to the rear wheels which can help to prevent spin out as well as give you a higher top speed.

ph2t
2006.12.12, 07:21 AM
Not to sound like a prick but I would remove all the mods you did at the same time and re-introduce them, one by one. This way you can help minimise the "unknown", ie: what the bloody hell does what! :)

Ninja
2006.12.12, 11:03 AM
when I forst swapped from an RM to a MM I had to go with much harder tires in the front to keep it from whipping around like that. I have since switched back to RM but continue to run 30* fronts on my car.

locwan
2006.12.12, 12:42 PM
What you're discribing is pretty normal. A RM car is more stable coming out of a corner while you're trying to accelerate, as the weight bias in the rear helps keep the rear end planted.

When you switch to MM, especially from 94mm to 98mm, you can first try using tires with slightly less grip up front. As for the setting of your diff, it will depend on the traction you're getting on your racing surface. Too lose, and your tail will wag out when you hit the throttle, and too tight, you will still spin out as the inside tire lose grip completely from spinning too fast. You'll need to experiment by tightening your diff from loose to tighter notch by notch. Good luck!

briankstan
2006.12.12, 01:03 PM
it sounds to me like you have the the springs on your damper set wrong. if they are to tight and don't allow for the movement the rear will loose grip and spin around on you.

as for setting the diff. you want very little slippage when accellerating hard, but you need to be sure that you don't lock the diff. start with it loose, and then tighten a little at a time.

remo10
2006.12.12, 06:18 PM
Thanx for the info guy's!! I will play with different settings and see what happens.

remo10
2006.12.12, 06:20 PM
when I forst swapped from an RM to a MM I had to go with much harder tires in the front to keep it from whipping around like that. I have since switched back to RM but continue to run 30* fronts on my car.
So why did you switch back to RM if you don't mind me asking? it seems that everyone seems too just love MM over RM. I'm thinking about switching back if i can't get it to work for me,I'm a much better driver with it as a RM...

Ninja
2006.12.12, 11:02 PM
at the end of last Mini-Z racing season, (we race 1/10 in the summer) I gave my McLaren F1 to a young boy who had just got into Mini-Zs. He got the Ford GT ready set. Being a new driver he glanced off of the rails alot, and was getting very frustrated b/c every time he glanced off it would peel his front tires off b/c of the rounded nose. I donated the body to him to keep him from being discouraged and quit coming. He has since become a better driver and loves his MCL :D but the reason I switched back is b/c I have always loved the Motul Pitwork GT-R and a friend of mine sold me the Autoscale new in box for a mere $20, and since I didnt have a body to race, I took him up on the offer. besides, switching setups, cars, chassis, and track layout will keep you on your toes, and make a much better all-around driver out of you ;)