PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hour LeMans-How would you prepare?

byebye
2006.12.13, 07:01 AM
Okay so I've been asked by Jonny here from the Stafford club to join him and his fiance on a trip to Germany for the annual 12 hour mini-z LeMans in January '07. Sure sounds awesome! Okay so this isn't your typical go meet up with friends and race around on the track for a bit then pit talk. This is the real deal super mini-z race. First thing I ask Jonny, "do we have a strategy?". :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Okay so my question for you all is what would you do to prepare for a 12 hour "open class" race? What parts? What strategy as far as batteries? Oh and Jonny says I need to have lights :o ? Tires? Gearing? Motor? Body? Body setup(aero)?

I believe Jo is Jonny's contact and there will be as many as 30 racers from all around Europe and chances are I'll be the only American.

Thanks for everyones input!

12 hour race info in red
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sodele,

it is at the time again our 12-Stunden-Rennen for Zettis to probably announce - meanwhile also the date stands - 6 January 2007:

Date: 06. January 2007

Beginning of running: 12,00 o'clock

Delivered classes:
Prototypen/GruppeC/CanAm - Karos, which were already driven in the original when long-distance running may participate, so e.g. Porsche 904, 908, the Alfa P33, in addition, the Corvette, the Murcielago, the GTC Ferrari or the viper. There is hard plastic as well as Lexankarosserien certified.
Also the new Atomic Karo is certified, since she exhibits strong similarities to the GruppeC vehicles.
(after arrangement also different Karos becomes certified - the focus should remain however with the prototypes)

The regulation:
The vehicles of the open class may be driven (+ AWD ) - details: here

It 6+ teams in an educated manner to ever 2-3 drivers - the accurate mode is specified, if the number of participants is certain.
Per team only one vehicle is certified. Vehicles may not (or only in arrangement with the rennleitung to be exchanged)

At least 6 driver changes must take place.

Temporarily a darkening will take place - the vehicles should be accordingly equipped

Round counting takes place as used by computers and lasers

Register posts please here for the denominations into the Thread or into www.rcme.de

Announced teams:
- team 6Z (Fovea3D, TeX, Tytooo)
- team Alpia (cooldragon, darkman, MikeC)
- team (carriage return character) I (belzebuth, microsash, spitfire)
- team (carriage return character) II (08-15, place-wait, Sviny)
- team Fusselflitzer (drift Dirk, franc, SVINGO)
- team LRW (jumbo jet, Powerbeetle, wolfi)
- team NL (gerkenz, Guden, Gunnar)
- team Sprocki (tremble, cartman, DanV)
- team CLAY/TONE (Bitschrotty, Kafou, Vortex)
- team drunkenness Brook Racing (Guny, Baumi, Schmiddi)

Venue:
(carriage return character) (Community Racing center) in Oberkirch
Esperantostr. 15b
77704 Oberkirch

Those resounds stands in the yard range of the company Frammelsberger timber construction
20 km von Kehl removes
personal starting sketch

Start approx. 1-1,5h of Stuttgart and/or Heilbronn.

Parking lots are sufficiently present
For that physical well-being one provides in the best way

Keep on racing,

Jo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Byebye

Jonny
2006.12.13, 09:11 AM
Ha ha, this should be a good one. Good post, any ideas welcomed for this event from the MZR members.

And the lights are needed for the night time running (seriously) the course is lit with barrier neons also :D

Jonny

machine
2006.12.13, 09:40 AM
Man that sounds like alot of fun. Too bad it's over an ocean for me...

I'd be looking at having at least 5 set's of wheels and tires ready to go. As well as 2 or 3 motors broken in and if possible already on a motor mount with diff installed as well as rear wheels. You know making pit stops easier.

Are the rules posted for this event? I'd be interested in setting something like that up here in Canada.

Spoon
2006.12.13, 09:48 AM
I'd be looking at having at least 5 set's of wheels and tires ready to go. As well as 2 or 3 motors broken in and if possible already on a motor mount with diff installed as well as rear wheels. You know making pit stops easier.

That does sound like fun. It could get pretty expensive to have a motor mount all setup if ByeBye uses a ball diff.

The tire/wheel swap would be pretty easy with an AWD since you don't have to source bearings for all of the wheelsets. If that's the way you are going and you need some stock AWD wheels, let me know, I have some I could donate to the cause.

LeMans is a team event, no? That could make things easier. Maybe you could choose your gearing conservatively to try and get as much run time out ofyour batteries. If everyone could go for an hour without a battery change, you could just swap drivers every hour.

byebye
2006.12.13, 10:09 AM
babel fished this link: http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=101278435917&startid=1

This was from last year:
Beginning:
free training: 10,00 o'clock
Beginning of running: 14,00 o'clock

Delivered classes:
Route car openly
Classic Cup (Kyosho Classic Karos > 20Jahre)

Tuning freely up to the following restrictions:
- bodies of the mini z class must be used
- in the open classes are max. 4 AAA to cells permits
- the engine must correspond the 130er to size
- is permitted and with the Grip on the course not necessary lubricants of the tires

-Byebye

Ninja
2006.12.13, 10:50 AM
I would say lots of tires and wheels, and lots of batteries, you dont want to cycle your batteries more than twice in a 24 hour period. They could burn upp on you if you do, and in the middle of a race wouldnt be a good time for that to happen. Also with 30 drivers, I would take the strongest body I could find.

referjohn
2006.12.13, 11:36 AM
can you change drivers? if so bring atleast 6 good drivers,alternate
drive shifts

man, sounds like a hell of a event, and bet your arse there will be
very good competion

best of luck to you BYEBYE AND JONNY

JOHN

pchan0
2006.12.13, 12:16 PM
Not sure if this is any help but download Atomic's 12hr race video to see what they did.

http://www.rcatomic.com/main/modules/news/

byebye
2006.12.13, 01:43 PM
I would say lots of tires and wheels, and lots of batteries, you dont want to cycle your batteries more than twice in a 24 hour period. They could burn upp on you if you do, and in the middle of a race wouldnt be a good time for that to happen. Also with 30 drivers, I would take the strongest body I could find.

I figure two extra sets of wheels. An alloy and plastic set already with tires. Tires changes should happen too often unless there is complete failure. I'm going to gear for mid torque and top end so I don't imagine I'll be burning through tires.

Now batteries and battery changes I think are going to be the make or break. I don't think it's possible for me to not cycle through a set twice. Man I cycle through 6 sets about 5 times each on one HFAY night between myself, the wife and kid. I'm thinking of getting a 24 pack of either 850mah or 1000mah from ebay. The 15 min chargers should give me enough time between changes to keep me good on that end.

So Jonny says teams of 3. Not sure if thats 4 hours each. If it is, then thats freakin awesome! We could concentrate on 1 car and have enough hands for helping out in the pits. If not then it's not going to be a great race. I was considering just myself and Jonny and Gina going but I think I'm going to need the wife and kid there to help. I know my son is going to hate it but I need the wife there as a pit boss.

So I'm thinking of running a Mclaren. Jonny says that they would like to have mostly the race car mini-z bodies including the VDS. I'll most likely run old faithful Mclaren F1 LM. I have a white body as well. I'll have to hit up Mini-z for some forum decals.

-Byebye

byebye
2006.12.13, 01:45 PM
can you change drivers? if so bring atleast 6 good drivers,alternate
drive shifts

man, sounds like a hell of a event, and bet your arse there will be
very good competion

best of luck to you BYEBYE AND JONNY

JOHN

Thanks I hope to make this event! I know it will be a tough race :cool: but we shall do our best.

-Byebye

arch2b
2006.12.13, 03:54 PM
do you all share the same car or does each driver for the team have thier own car?

is this event held at the same time each year? i would love to plan for making a trip to germany next year with a team maybe.

byebye
2006.12.13, 04:09 PM
http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=101274194272
babel fish the link above for the most current rules and info on the race.

From what I was able to read was 24 racers with 3 per team and 8 transponders so I assume it's 8 cars max. I've been doing some critical thinking.

I think battery changes in the pit are going to be key to consistent laps per hour.

I did a rough estimate and this is rough rough like not taking pit stops into consideration. 3000 laps in 12 hours=4.1 laps per minute. If I changed batts every 20 minutes that would amount to 3 sets of batteries per hour for a total of 36 sets of batteries. That means if I was going to run a fresh set I would need to have 144 batteries!!! So that means that if I bought the ebay 24 pack of 1000mah rechargable nimh batteries I would run each set 6 times in a 12 hour period. This would leave 100 min. between each run time for each set of batteries. So I could run a set, let it sit for 60 minutes, charge for 15 then sit for 25 min until its turn to run again. Is that confusing anyone

-Byebye

imxlr8ed
2006.12.13, 04:20 PM
Eye drops and a soft barstool would be a good start. :rolleyes:

byebye
2006.12.13, 04:23 PM
Eye drops and a soft barstool would be a good start. :rolleyes:

LMAO!!!!! :eek: :D yeah I was wondering about that too, am I suppose to stand for that long?

-Byebye

arch2b
2006.12.13, 04:24 PM
if i make a gallery for the event, would you guys be willing to upload any images/video to it? could you pass this on to the host as well?

byebye
2006.12.13, 04:42 PM
if i make a gallery for the event, would you guys be willing to upload any images/video to it? could you pass this on to the host as well?

Of course buddy :cool: . I'm working on a battery charging spread sheet right now. I need to get a hold of Jonny so he can contact the event manager on our attendance.

-Byebye

Spoon
2006.12.13, 04:50 PM
is this event held at the same time each year? i would love to plan for making a trip to germany next year with a team maybe.

Hmmm.... I've never been to Germany ;) :rolleyes:

Fovea3d
2006.12.13, 06:28 PM
Byebye and Jonny finaly coming to the 12h race??? Great :) This will be a tremendous event, I'm glad to see you soon guys. I am surprised that no one asked for the 06 edition photos and videos, well here they are:

Slideshow (IE required) (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/ENDURANCE-12H-OBERKIRCH/default.htm)

Video wmv (!!40MB!!) (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/060107-12H-OBERKIRCH.WMV)

Also some pics here on our french spoken (sorry :D ) Board (http://clicbox.tonsite.biz/forum_z/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=628&)

I hope this will give you some hints for setup, lights, pit stops, etc :D
See you soon!
Alain

arch2b
2006.12.13, 06:44 PM
FOV, please feel free to post pictures and video in teh gallery i will setup for the event :)

soyverde
2006.12.13, 09:35 PM
This sounds excellent! I would certainly recommend Duracell 900/1000mah's if you can find them that side of the pond...they have a practically linear drain (stay very consistent), and you will get a lot of time out of them before dumping (probably upwards of 30 minutes on a fresh set). I alternate between 15 min. and one hour chargers with mine and have had no problems. Good luck!

avant
2006.12.14, 02:17 AM
byebye - that's excellent news having a UK/US-team at the event ! This will be our third 12h event and in total we'll have ~ 35 drivers now registered (byebye + team and jonny + team) already included. The drivers of the team have to change at least 6 times.

Here's the cup (http://mitglied.lycos.de/zettiavant1/bit-racer/s70/img_0843-small.jpg) for the winning team. And here you can see the layout (http://people.freenet.de/08-15/CRC-Bau/StreckeDOC.JPG) of the track.

The current Teams:
- Team 6Z (Fovea3D, TeX, Tytooo)
- Team Alpia (cooldragon, darkman, MikeC)
- Team CRC I (belzebuth, microsash, spitfire)
- Team CRC II (08-15, Platzwart, Sviny)
- Team Fusselflitzer (Drift Dirk, Frank, SVINGO)
- Team LRW (Jumbo, Powerbeetle, wolfi)
- Team NL (gerkenz, Guden, Gunnar)
- Team Sprocki (B-e-B, cartman, DanV)
- Team T-O-N (Bitschrotty, Kafou, Vortex)
- Team TRunk Brook Racing (Guny, Baumi, Schmiddi)
- Team byebye
- Team Jonny

CRC ( Community Racing Center ) in Oberkirch
Esperantostr. 15b
77704 Oberkirch

Unfortunately I cannot participate this year as we need a "master of desaster" :D who'll take care for a smooth progress of the event.

We'll have then participants from Austria, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, UK and the US on our track. This will be real fun ! DMAX TV will also be there for a 18min braodcast.

I'm looking forward to picking you up at the airport. Anybody else who'll need a lift to our racing hall ?

As I haven't opened a thread for this here's the link to our thread on the german rc-micro forum:

A VDS is not required - I'd just like to have endurance bodies on the track, so the McLaren is perfectly fine for me.

Concerning a reasonable setup:
- don't choose an agressive setup (preferred a comfortable limousine style)
1° Knuckles - maybe 1° toe-in
- 20° or 30° ATM at the front and 10° ATM or 10° Groove at the rear work best
- concerning the accus - prepare > 10 sets of accus. According to our measurements the Vapex 1100 mAh are really the best for encurance races at it has the lowest resistance and a discharging capacity of 930-970 mAh...
- use no fast charger - max . capacity is most important.

Stay tuned - more infos will follow ...

Cheers,

Jo

Jonny
2006.12.14, 02:32 AM
@ Fovea3D - Can't wait to get rolling on this one, thanks for the extra info. Be good to see you guys and the rest of the European contingent!

Hi Jo,

I spoke to byebye late last night and gave him the same info as our flights - airport, carrier, dates and times needed and he booked his straight away online, so it's a definite go and we'll all arrive together. Still waiting on whether his wife and son will be coming, so will contact you ASAP regarding pickup - thanks again!

Looking forward to a great event and I guess we'll have to race during practice then ;)

Hope you had a good night last night, I'll catch you online later on.

Jonny

avant
2006.12.14, 03:03 AM
I spoke to byebye late last night and gave him the same info as our flights - airport, carrier, dates and times needed and he booked his straight away online, so it's a definite go and we'll all arrive together. Still waiting on whether his wife and son will be coming, so will contact you ASAP regarding pickup - thanks again!
WOW - that's excellent news, Jonny. I'm looking forward to picking you up at the airport !

we'll have to race during practice then ;)
... on Friday there're some hours left for practicing and finding the right setup. Also after the event we keep on racing until Sunday 6:00 pm.

Hope you had a good night last night
Great night, really - I even found home :D
I'll catch you online later on.
As I'm travelling today much later - I'll arrive at home ~ 9:00 pm ...

@all we'll keep you posted during the event, so you can follow, how we're doing ...

Cheers,

Jo

byebye
2006.12.14, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info Fov and Avant :)

Well In regards to the rules. Can you post the rules here? I think there may be other clubs who'd like to host an event like this.

-Byebye

avant
2006.12.14, 02:48 PM
@byebye - as I've already written, I'll open a thread for the 12h endurance races in the CRC - the rules will also be included there ...

In general - as we have now a huge crowd of racers and just 10 GiroZ transponders, it might be possible, that we'll setup teams of 4 drivers. We'll see, how many drivers will arrive Saturday morning.

Cheers,

Jo - who is still in the train ...

byebye
2006.12.14, 02:57 PM
@byebye - as I've already written, I'll open a thread for the 12h endurance races in the CRC - the rules will also be included there ...

In general - as we have now a huge crowd of racers and just 10 GiroZ transponders, it might be possible, that we'll setup teams of 4 drivers. We'll see, how many drivers will arrive Saturday morning.

Cheers,

Jo - who is still in the train ...

Sorry!- here is the rules- http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=101277582281

-Byebye

avant
2006.12.14, 03:25 PM
@byebye - not really - these are the general rules for the various racing categories for our race day the first Saturday of the month ;)
The rules are actually in the posting of the thread I've posted before:

Cheers,

Jo

byebye
2006.12.14, 03:58 PM
@byebye - not really - these are the general rules for the various racing categories for our race day the first Saturday of the month ;)
The rules are actually in the posting of the thread I've posted before:

Cheers,

Jo

Sorry again. I updated the first post.

-Byebye

will3kgt
2006.12.15, 01:02 AM
I wish you the best of luck Bye Bye. I'm sure you'll represent the U.S. well.

byebye
2006.12.15, 12:27 PM
I wish you the best of luck Bye Bye. I'm sure you'll represent the U.S. well.
Thanks Will :D

Well we ordered a 40 pack of bestpower 1000mah batteries yesterday. I'll be testing this weekend and will try and keep a journal. Jonny and I have been chatting nightly. We use MSN messenger and my msn is toffe777@hotmail.com if anyone would like to add and join in on the brainstorming.

I'm going to put in an order for more front tires and get some pre mounted. I figure I'm only gonna need about 3 sets of extra tires. It's not an RCP track so I don't imagine the tires will wear down fast. Our biggest concern is battery consumption. I'll be testing my threories this weekend.

-Byebye

arch2b
2006.12.15, 12:58 PM
i would also have spare tie rods. i don't know what the wall system is but it could take a toll after a couple hours of brushing the guardrails. the upside is, they are easy to change on the 02 and 010.

btw, if you back over here next year, maybe we can plan a full u.s. team for next year?

byebye
2006.12.15, 01:07 PM
i would also have spare tie rods. i don't know what the wall system is but it could take a toll after a couple hours of brushing the guardrails. the upside is, they are easy to change on the 02 and 010.

btw, if you back over here next year, maybe we can plan a full u.s. team for next year?

The walls look to be wood. Thats good and bad. The way the track is layed out the end of the straight is a sweep so any sudden impacts at our level shouldn't(won't say can't). My main concern for the chassis is the front clip snapping and H-plates from any impacts. I'm debating on either an alloy front clip or plastic. Plastic breaks and is less likely to rip the screws out of the holes that hold the front clip on. Any alloy is going to withstand the impact so either the body will break or the screws will pop out.

If I run a 0 offset on a murcielago body then any brushes with the wall shouldn't cause any issues. Now if we run a Mclaren then it will be an issue and the weak link with all alloy up front will be servo and gears, and pot taking a beating.

The Mclaren body is very nimble and on this track I think I'll need to tune for more understeer and dial down the curve a lot.

With a murcialago body it will be very stable and I'll have to run some lower degree tires up front in order to get around the corners as quick as a mclaren. Luckily I have both bodies so I'll be testing those theories this weekend as well.

-Byebye

byebye
2006.12.15, 01:12 PM
Oh and yes arch2b you can bet I'll be racing for arch2b dcgtg crew in any le man races.

-Byebye

nivlacs3z
2006.12.15, 05:43 PM
man that stuff sounds like a LOT of fun... heh bet its kinda expensive too. Ya know what though, the Mclaren body exposes one heck of a lot of tire so thats probably not very advantagous. I'd probably stick with the murcielago, or an enzo with mclaren offsets on the front just for the safty reason. I've heard that Cristian had very bad luck with the Mclaren body and tires coming off during mains at PN world cup. You're going to be racing for 12 hrs with wooden walls, so there's a much higher risk of chassis damage and tire falling off.

Fovea3d
2006.12.15, 09:39 PM
The walls are soft rubber, quite forgiving to the chassis and body but being rubber, contact with them will slow your car down easy and if your tires are exposed they will be teared off often. Double sided tape is a must at that track.

nivlacs3z
2006.12.15, 10:18 PM
Hmm ok nvm about the wooden walls. I know that tires may come off with foam walls and double sided tape, so you should probably prepare with more than just double sided tape. It's a pretty big event, so maybe you should have sets of rims and super glued tires.

avant
2006.12.15, 11:46 PM
@all - we're using as walls some thick, elastic gum material (medium to hard) glued to the wooden "greens" and covered with some fabric tape, so it didn't stop the Mini-Z too much.

@byebye - the experience has tought us, that just one pair of front tires is sufficient for that race (BTW - we have a local sponsor, who sells also parts in our hall - mostly GPM and ATM). But don't forget enough rear tires - last time we've used 6 pairs of rear tires :D
Generally - if specific parts are needed, we drivers share them usually, so there's no need in bringing a whole stock of parts to the hall ;)
On the impact side - just take care for the body. As most of us are experienced racers we try to avoid, that the Mini-Z touch each other. If you want to be on the safe side glue with epoxy such an alloy or graphite part into the front:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/zettiavant1/bit-racer/IMG_1055-small.JPG
Alloy parts are not essential, but also don't hurt ...
The biggest issues we've had was with esc's (some static load in the AD-Band esc :-( ), cables became loose, rims cracked, tires got lost and worn brushes - but that's it ! ...

BTW: here's another overview of the track:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/sebastiansielaff/images/groeennderungimg_3547.jpg

I'm looking forward to picking you up at the airport :)

Cheers,

Jo

byebye
2006.12.16, 02:13 AM
@all - we're using as walls some thick, elastic gum material (medium to hard) glued to the wooden "greens" and covered with some fabric tape, so it didn't stop the Mini-Z too much.

@byebye - the experience has tought us, that just one pair of front tires is sufficient for that race (BTW - we have a local sponsor, who sells also parts in our hall - mostly GPM and ATM). But don't forget enough rear tires - last time we've used 6 pairs of rear tires :D
Generally - if specific parts are needed, we drivers share them usually, so there's no need in bringing a whole stock of parts to the hall ;)
On the impact side - just take care for the body. As most of us are experienced racers we try to avoid, that the Mini-Z touch each other. If you want to be on the safe side glue with epoxy such an alloy or graphite part into the front:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/zettiavant1/bit-racer/IMG_1055-small.JPG
Alloy parts are not essential, but also don't hurt ...
The biggest issues we've had was with esc's (some static load in the AD-Band esc :-( ), cables became loose, rims cracked, tires got lost and worn brushes - but that's it ! ...

BTW: here's another overview of the track:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/sebastiansielaff/images/groeennderungimg_3547.jpg

I'm looking forward to picking you up at the airport :)

Cheers,

Jo

Thanks Jo and Al :)

This is good info for my planning. I wasn't sure which would wear out faster, the front tires or rear. I have plenty of rear tires for the event and I'll be sure to bring my double sided tape for the fronts. I'll be running a murcielago body with +1 front and rear so that should keep the wheels off the walls. The Murcielago is a durable body but anything can happen on the track. I'll ask Jonny to get some epoxy or somthing similar. I have some sheet metal that is pliable and can be cut with kitchen scissors.

What motor are most of you guys running?

Oh and my wife and son will be there as well so 5 of us at the airport :D ;)

-Byebye

avant
2006.12.16, 04:16 AM
I have some sheet metal that is pliable and can be cut with kitchen scissors.
hm - 1mm thick ?
What motor are most of you guys running?
This is the biggest secret of each team.
You can find from ATM Stock, ATM AD Stock to XSpeeds on the track.
But most of them modified for getting more performance or to increase the runtime.
Oh and my wife and son will be there as well so 5 of us at the airport
Jonny told me already, so we're prepared and we'll pick you all 5 up, of course ;)

Cheers,

Jo

byebye
2006.12.16, 05:15 AM
hm - 1mm thick ?

This is the biggest secret of each team.
You can find from ATM Stock, ATM AD Stock to XSpeeds on the track.
But most of them modified for getting more performance or to increase the runtime.

Jonny told me already, so we're prepared and we'll pick you all 5 up, of course ;)

Cheers,

Jo

I figured as much on the motors ;)

Right now Jonny and I have been discussing who will be our third. I know the wife and fiance are skeptical. My wife has a hard time seeing in the dark and driving for extended periods of time. This morning I asked my son(10yrs) if he would drive and he gave an enthusiatic YES! So it's not completely my decision though as to who our 3rd driver will be. I'm going to give my son a preliminary 1 hour run to see if he can do it. He's quite good for his age.

-Byebye

08/15
2006.12.19, 04:40 PM
The walls look to be wood. Thats good and bad.
Hi!
The green in-between-parts of the track are made of wood, but the guard rails are made out of rubber so there will be only little problems after an impact!
The rails are very car-friendly and we had nearly no breaking H-Bars, etc. That problem only caused after accidents with other cars :D
So you don't need a "tank" to drive safely around here ;) , just use your normal setup...
Of course, a few spare-parts could be helpful, but our Team (CRC 2) needed nothing out of our repair-box at the last 12-hours-race!

08/15 - another one of the "CRC-Crew"

Jonny
2006.12.19, 05:22 PM
Hi!
The green in-between-parts of the track are made of wood, but the guard rails are made out of rubber so there will be only little problems after an impact!
The rails are very car-friendly and we had nearly no breaking H-Bars, etc. That problem only caused after accidents with other cars :D
So you don't need a "tank" to drive safely around here ;) , just use your normal setup...
Of course, a few spare-parts could be helpful, but our Team (CRC 2) needed nothing out of our repair-box at the last 12-hours-race!

Hi 08/15,

Thanks for your insight into how the Le Mans race may take it's toll on our race car. That's good to hear that you ran strong last time around, with no replacements needed at all!

We will have a decent spares package available (as I can never pack my bags light!) hopefully we will keep off of the rails and the rest of the cars ;)

Looking forward to meeting and running with you guys!

Jonny

byebye
2006.12.20, 04:22 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the info 08/15 ;)

Yeah we should have plenty of stock. I've been testing the car today and it's running really strong.
Here is a pic of what we will bring-
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=7108&cat=975&page=1

08/15
2006.12.20, 04:29 PM
Jeah, nice car man! :cool:
Show and shine is always nice, because tv is coming to make a report...

08/15 - driving taisan-vds ;)

byebye
2006.12.20, 04:45 PM
Jeah, nice car man! :cool:
Show and shine is always nice, because tv is coming to make a report...

08/15 - driving taisan-vds ;)

Thanks! I've been practicing with it so there are a couple chips here and there and not really from frontal but just from bumping the wall. Nothing dramatic though. I know that all the cars will endure lots and lots of bumps and scrapes.

I heard about some tv show coming. Should be pretty cool. We have what, 6 or 7 different countries competing?

-Byebye

nivlacs3z
2006.12.20, 07:47 PM
Nice car. What wing is that? What motor are you using to compete with?

lfisminiz
2006.12.20, 08:02 PM
Nice cars. The event sounds like a BLAST!! Have fun. :)

avant
2006.12.20, 09:58 PM
Should be pretty cool. We have what, 6 or 7 different countries competing?
Yes, in total 7 different countries: Austria, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, UK and USA ;) (Maybe also Portugal)
So we might nearly call it a world championship ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Ninja
2006.12.20, 11:04 PM
The wing looks like either the Single Atomic wing or one from the NSX bodies.

byebye
2006.12.21, 04:44 AM
Nice car. What wing is that? What motor are you using to compete with?

Its from the hasemi 350z. I had a bad paint accident and the wing was left over so I thought I'd use it. It was orignially on my Mclaren but I pulled it for this car. I've had to rob peter to pay paul on this project. I have two chassis that don't have rear ends and I pulled a Kyosho diff from another car. So it's pieced together but runs really well.

I planned on dropping an x-speed into a bb can. Jonny ordered an atomic stock motor and I've heard that the atomic motors have been the a good choice for the track. Again I've been just using what I have here since there is little time for me to put in orders and stuff. Jo did mention that CRC has a parts shop and is an authorized Atomic dealer so I'll be grabbing spares and most likely shake down with a few different motors.

Thanks guys should be a ton of fun! :p

-Byebye

FrankW1029
2006.12.21, 05:14 AM
sounds like fun...can't wait for pics and videos :D

benmlee
2006.12.22, 12:37 AM
On topic of car preparation, this might make battery change slightly faster. Fasten a ribbon to the chassis, and place the battery over the ribbon when installing batteries. To get battery out, just yank on the ribbon and both batteries comes out immediately. No need for screw driver or pliers. See attached photo.

byebye
2006.12.22, 03:49 AM
On topic of car preparation, this might make battery change slightly faster. Fasten a ribbon to the chassis, and place the battery over the ribbon when installing batteries. To get battery out, just yank on the ribbon and both batteries comes out immediately. No need for screw driver or pliers. See attached photo.

Thats a great suggestion! We may consider this as pit times need to be at a minimum.

-Byebye

Guny
2006.12.22, 03:53 AM

LOL, every time i thought of something that nobody has ,someone else has awlready done it.

A Merry x-mas to all mini-z racers and there Family!

Cant wait to c some of u guys @ the 12 Hour Race !!!

Greets mike aka Guny

avant
2006.12.22, 04:12 AM
@byebye great suggestion - it'll definitely help, but it must be:
- a bullet-proof solution
- thoroughly tested and trained ...
We've had a similar solution at the last 12h race and it didn't work out :-(

Another topic - we'll have two parts shops at the race - one generic (www.rc-tec.de) specifically for Atomic parts (www.atomic-shop.de). So there should be enough spare parts ;). If you have specific needs - send me an email, I'll let them know ;)

Cheers,

Jo

byebye
2006.12.22, 04:16 AM
Well I was gonna keep it a secret but YES we have this modification. Avant is right, it needs to be perfected so it works every time. I have a couple things I have to do but for right now it works really well.

Thanks for the links Avant. I'll bring some extra cash for take homes ;)

-Byebye

avant
2006.12.22, 05:26 AM
... and thanks to Platzwart (Team CRC2) we'll have a nice sticker for each driver (sponsored by atomic-shop):
12h sticker (http://mitglied.lycos.de/speczetti1/bit-racer/12-Sticker_tranparent.png)

Cheers,

Jo

Jonny
2006.12.22, 07:47 AM
Good stuff guys,

Jo, it's even better that there's 2 sources for parts (I'll make sure I have plenty of Euros ;))

Nice to see the sticker that's been produced.

Everything seems to be coming together for you guys. A sterling job has been made at organising the event, congrats!

Can't wait to get going but I suppose we have 'that' other rather important event to enjoy first...

Have a good one everybody and we'll see you in the new year.

Jonny

benmlee
2006.12.22, 02:27 PM
Well I was gonna keep it a secret but YES we have this modification. Avant is right, it needs to be perfected so it works every time. I have a couple things I have to do but for right now it works really well.

-Byebye

If you have it perfected, please post it here. After the race of course :)

byebye
2006.12.22, 05:30 PM
... and thanks to Platzwart (Team CRC2) we'll have a nice sticker for each driver (sponsored by atomic-shop):
12h sticker (http://mitglied.lycos.de/speczetti1/bit-racer/12-Sticker_tranparent.png)

Cheers,

Jo

Thats cool! Is it for the car or for the pitbox? Man I can't wait for the races!

Yeah Jonny Christmas first! :D Got my Stage 2 PCM in the mail yesterday. I'll be installing my chirstmas present this weekend :cool:

-Byebye

Jonny
2006.12.23, 05:49 AM
Thats cool! Is it for the car or for the pitbox? Man I can't wait for the races!

Yeah Jonny Christmas first! :D Got my Stage 2 PCM in the mail yesterday. I'll be installing my chirstmas present this weekend :cool:

-Byebye

Excellent - who's a lucky boy this Christmas then ;) Hold on, you're not allowed that until Monday!

Jonny

byebye
2006.12.23, 08:23 AM
Excellent - who's a lucky boy this Christmas then ;) Hold on, you're not allowed that until Monday!

Jonny

Yeah it was early and I just installed it. It pulls pretty good :p :D .

-Byebye

kafou
2006.12.24, 06:11 AM
Hi,
I'm Kafou, it seems I will run in your team during the 12 hours which would be great.
I allready talked with byebye on MSN, my webmail/msn is kafou007@hotmail.com .
I think we have to talk about a lot of things in order to prepare the race.

byebye
2006.12.24, 06:17 AM
Hi,
I'm Kafou, it seems I will run in your team during the 12 hours which would be great.
I allready talked with byebye on MSN, my webmail/msn is kafou007@hotmail.com .
I think we have to talk about a lot of things in order to prepare the race.

Hey Kafou! Everyone Kafou has been added to our race team. The wives and kid will spectate for Jonny and I. I believe we are to get one more racer for a 4 man total team. Kafou races there at CRC so it will be great to get someone on the team with prior experience on the track.

-Byebye

avant
2006.12.24, 10:05 AM
byebye, Jonny and Kafou - even more important - you need to find a proper name for the team ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Fovea3d
2006.12.24, 10:29 AM
Wow Kafou in your team... I don't know how you guys drive, you must be good but with Kafou we will all have a hard time battling against you :D Kafou often wins local mini-z cup here, good for us when he misses our weekly heats on my track because it means we have a chance to win :rolleyes:

byebye
2006.12.24, 03:18 PM
Wow Kafou in your team... I don't know how you guys drive, you must be good but with Kafou we will all have a hard time battling against you :D Kafou often wins local mini-z cup here, good for us when he misses our weekly heats on my track because it means we have a chance to win :rolleyes:

Well thats good to know. I've been chatting with him on MSN trying to get some insight on the track.

We do need a team name. I just put the Stafford racers decals on there because thats our local club. A team name would be cool.

-Byebye

avant
2006.12.24, 04:13 PM
Below the current list of Teams (according to their confirmation of participation):

- Team 6Z (Fovea3D, TeX, Tytooo)
- Team Alpia (bitschrotty, cooldragon, darkman, MikeC)
- Team CRC I (belzebuth, microsash, spitfire)
- Team CRC II (08-15, Platzwart, Sviny)
- Team Fusselflitzer (Drift Dirk, Frank, SVINGO)
- Team LRW (Jumbo, Powerbeetle, wolfi)
- Team Sprocki (B-e-B, cartman, DanV)
- Team TRunk Brook Racing (Guny, Baumi, Schmiddi)
- Team International (byebye, Jonny, Kafou, Vortex)

I still wait for the confirmation of team NL, but obviously just one driver gave currently his OK.

Cheers,

Jo

BTW: Vortex has also not yet confirmed

tytooo
2006.12.26, 07:47 AM
Hello guys

I am very happy to meet so many world mini-z drivers at this event.
Last year it was a great challenge, this year it can be just better :)
The most important for this race is reliability, and I know what about I speack ;)

Avant, i came perhaps saturday with Fabrice, can you bring the helios with you if you come?

Some pictures from 2006 Edition:

Driving in the dark:
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3471/img0059yc0.jpg

All:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5020/teams6nltd0.jpg

By, TyToO

byebye
2006.12.26, 08:35 AM
Great photos TyToO:). Yeah it will be a packed international event for sure.

-Byebye

avant
2006.12.27, 08:10 AM
@tytoo - I'm not for 100% sure, if I can make Saturday. I'll definitely try ...

There's a little error on the drivers picture, as not all participants are on the photo above. Here's a "more complete" photo:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/zettiavant1/bit-racer/12_Rennen/dsc_0040-small.jpg

The picture from the 12h 2007 will be quite different.

Another interesting picture - the usage of the brushes. The mechanics should take a closer look on this one:

http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/ENDURANCE-12H-OBERKIRCH/images/36.jpg

Cheers,

Jo

tytooo
2006.12.27, 12:33 PM
Cool picture of the team ;)

My Doctor said this morning that I mustn't go out, than i couldn't come this saturday, but I'll be ready for the race. :D

avant
2007.01.02, 03:07 PM
For getting the right picture - a video of the 12h race from 2006 - enjoy !

http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/Les12HdOberkirch2006.wmv

Cheers,

Jo

tytooo
2007.01.02, 03:46 PM
Thanks avant to have post here this video.

I have transmit it to Fovea3d because I can't upload big videos

You can find here (http://clicbox.tonsite.biz/forum_z/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=873&st=0#entry7406) the most videos of our Mini-Z club.

Look at the 12H race summer Edition ;)

+++ TyToO

marc
2007.01.04, 09:25 AM
A lounge chair, a case of soda, and two big pizza's from your favorite restraunt! That's how I'd prepare for a 12 hour race. Oh, and pit stops for bathroom brakes! LOL!

avant
2007.01.04, 02:27 PM
Starting from tomorrow 12:00 CET we'll have our webcam ready - hopefully the internet-access will work reliably. No streaming - just uploading each 5 min a new pic - here's the URL :

http://www.resistance.de/microsizer/webcam.html

Cheers,

Jo

tytooo
2007.01.04, 04:00 PM
Hello Avant!

That's a great Idea :cool:
I hope that the wifi access will be "open" and ready :D
I bring my notebook with me to post news on the different forums, with picks and comments ;)

See you soon

Fovea3d
2007.01.05, 02:23 PM
Hello guys!

The Team Mini-6z is ready, just look our car :cool:

http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/mcl07-01.jpg
http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/mcl07-02.jpg
http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/lumiere.jpg

Tomorow the carpet will BURN :D

TyToO by Fovea3d

marc
2007.01.05, 02:28 PM
Is that Mclaren the Iwaver, or Kyosho? I'm asking cause I noticed it does not have any headlight detail so I'm guessing Iwaver?

Fovea3d
2007.01.05, 02:41 PM
You are alright marc, It is effectively an I-waver body.

Iwaver bodies are not so beautifull as the kyosho, but they are stronger (built on one part)
That's is good for a long race with multiple chocs

TyToO

marc
2007.01.05, 02:51 PM
I've got a dark silver Mclaren that I raced on my GoldMember Mr02 chassis. Was nice and handled well, but I've found that the dark colors are hrad to see on the RCP tracks. I persoanlly don't like yellow cars, but I bet they are easy to spot!
Don't you also have a CRT?

Fovea3d
2007.01.05, 03:27 PM
Hi Marc, its Fov. I also have a dark silver mcl, I like it but yes yellow is easier to spot. No we don't have CRT cars here, it looks nice but I find them overpriced for the few parts included in the kit.

marc
2007.01.05, 03:38 PM
Oh, I thought you posted in the CRT threads about the car. So I had assumed you had one.
Is it just me, or does the dark silver Mcl look more like a brown color? I assumed it was going to be gun-metal grey when I first ordered it from T@y EST.

Fovea3d
2007.01.05, 08:27 PM
I posted on Lit and Epoch but none on CRT ;) Yes maybe due to QC the dark Firelap mcl colour can quite change, in fact my first was brown like yours but the last one I got in dec tend to be blueish (sp?) with the windows almost clear.
In fact we use this
body (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/070105mclarenenduranceoberkirch07/)
because we were pretty happy with our (K) orange F1 LM at the 2006 edition :D This year we are caring more about top speed and lightness, and so is the IW body. Also its plastic is more resilient, with the K you are risking to loose a part of the body in a crash :eek: Most drivers use VDS bodies but we just like our F1 (winner of the real 24h Le Mans race...).
I think this year 12h edition is really a particular event. We already had nice Germany-France competition on that track, now it is even better because there are 7 different nationalities fighting for the cup, we are also glad to meet Byebye and his friend from the UK. There are only missing drivers from Japan or Sweden to have a complete figure of what could be a "Mini-z Championship of the World" :) Its great, I better go charging my packs now, we drive in 9 hours :eek:

avant
2007.01.06, 12:03 AM
All,

just wanted to let you know, that Jonny, byebye and the rest of the crew arrived yesterday and they are doing quite well - we just had to do some adjustments to the setup, that they will run on the right speed level ...

The webcam works quite well and the pics will be updated unregularly

Cheers,

Jo

arch2b
2007.01.06, 10:06 AM
thanks for the update

byebye
2007.01.07, 04:02 PM
Sorry all for not updating. I'll tell ya if the wives weren't there we wouldn't have done so good. Three is not enough. I learned a lot about preperation, setup, durability, strategy, and my own endurance. 12 hours flew by and it was non stop action.

First I want to thanks to Jo, Mark(sp?), and the CRC crew. Also to Jonny and Gina and Kafou and also my wife Sheila and son Andrew. This is the event to be at. The track pics online don't even do it justice. The layout is very fast and easy to manage. The carpet is night and day compared to the RCP and the only preperation you can do for this event at this location is to setup a durable chassis. You really need to get practice on this track before you can even make a good decision about motor and tires. Jo was right there by our side every step of the way helping us make the right decisions when setting up our car. He helped us fine tune the radio to the car and the car to the track. This whole weekend was an unbelievable experience.

On Friday we met Kafou. Our third racer to sum up 'team international'. Kafou races with Alain and the crew in France. From the performance I saw on Saturday I can't believe that he wasn't picked up by another team. In my opinion this guy could do this professionaly. We started with an x-speed in a bb can and 8t pinion. Kyosho 20 rears were useless on the carpet track. We used Atomic AW groove 10deg rears and Atomic 20 aw groove fronts. The x-speed just wasn't giving us the top speed we needed on the straight so we decided to run an atomic stock. We hooked it up and there was zero response. Jonny had a Atomic awd stock and we dropped it in. With that and the 2x2 FET stack w9t pinion we were in great shape. The car would scream down the straight and was very fast through the sweepers.

As much as I'd like to say we came home with the cup, sadly we did not :( . However we did manage to go from last place down by ~50-80 to 8th place to 6th place by the end of the race. Kafou, managed to grab the fastest lap of 10.10sec in the first couple hours and ~4-5 hours later broke his record with a lightning 9.83sec lap. I think only a couple of the local racers have managed to get into the 9's. Base on our over all average had we not had so many problems for the first our we could have easily been some where in the top 5.

We had gremlins 5 min. from race start :eek: . There was no throttle, the damper screws were loose :mad: and after about an hour of fooling around we figured out the atomic motors do not have a good connection to the brushes from the factory. We didn't have any problem during practice on Friday. Once the motor problem was sorted we were smooth sailing and were gaining fast. The first hour was horrible and I was ready to give up. I think at the point of figuring out the motor problem I was at my whits end with this car. Once it survived a couple of hard impacts I knew we had the real problem sorted and we could begin our fight to climb up the ladder.

At the "eleventh hour" we could all see the light at the end of the tunnel. Kafou was first 20min of 11pm with Jonny next and myself finishing the race. It all seemed so sureal. There we were 11 hours later. I never thought I would even be at the event racing with so many great people. With only two more battery changes left I didn't really want it to end.......then the inevitable happened.

A glitch in the timing system ended the race :confused: :eek: . At 11:15 we were stopped. The lap timer was cleared and no laps were showing. Kafou jumped down from the racer stands and quickly grabbed the car to wipe the tires off then poppeda a squat. Then in German, Jo was yelling out somthing and BAM! the race began again. Kafou quickly ran back to the racers stands and started up. In the last 45 min. we managed to finish 3rd with less than 20 laps seperating us and first place. In a way it really I was really glad we got the restart. It showed the true potential of the car and our driving ability with only a full day of practice on the track.

Next year I can only hope that I can attend the event again. I can say that I will know what to do to prepare and would be able to walk on knowing that I would be absolutely sure we would do better.

Pics and video coming soon.

-Byebye

Jonny
2007.01.07, 05:44 PM
Hi Kris and Kafou (and the rest of the CRC Le Mans drivers),

Thanks for the writeup Kris.

I'd like to say a big THANKS to the team, Kris and Kafou you were both top notch throughout the enitre period. Our ladies were also a huge backbone for the event and helped enormously with too many jobs to mention!

We worked really well together, even from the beginning and all our troubles with the race car. We lost an hour performing critical surgery in the pits all together so our 6th place was a fantastic fight back :cool: Kris and I were quite honestly amazed at Kafou's driving ability, super cool and I think he could drive anything well without a second thought...

As you mentioned Kris, so much was learned during the event that can be put to good use for the future, how could we possibly have prepared for the experience we all had?!

I'd like to thank the guys for putting on such a professional and well organised event and Jo, I really appreciate all your help from the very beginning to the very end - you made us so welcome and I only hope that someday we can repay the favour. We owe you and Marc one for being so hospitable during our stay.

This is THE race to be at for sure and we're already planning next year :D

Jonny

Sviny
2007.01.08, 06:26 AM
Hi byeby, Hi Jonny,

this is Sviny from CRC Team. Nice documentation of the race. I'm pretty sure that next time (we all hope the that you join us again next time) to win the race we have to beat Team International ;-)

It was a pleassure to meet you and your families. I hope to you see you again - whenever it is possible.

Best regards and greetings from a rainy germany
Sviny - Pizza translator ;-)

Jonny
2007.01.08, 08:25 AM
Hi byeby, Hi Jonny,

this is Sviny from CRC Team. Nice documentation of the race. I'm pretty sure that next time (we all hope the that you join us again next time) to win the race we have to beat Team International ;-)

It was a pleassure to meet you and your families. I hope to you see you again - whenever it is possible.

Hi Sviny,

It was great to meet you and all of the racers at the CRC - now that we have some experience we hope to not have any major problems next year ;)

And yes, thank goodness for your pizza translation, we really need to learn some new languages for next time! And Gina and Sheila are really glad that they didn't end up with a 'mice' sandwich :D

We will be back as soon as we can for more racing and hopefully we will also go to Fovea3D's meeting around March of this year (and another trip to the CRC!)

It is definitely raining here in the UK also :(

Bye for now,

Jonny

.cooldragon
2007.01.08, 12:50 PM
I guys!

nice to have met and raced you last weekend and happy to see you came safe back home!

Although our team hat pretty bad luck, and lost the 6th place during the last rounds to you, I have to congratulate for the fair race. On top of it on a for you totally new underground!

From my side a bit of too much caos and bad luck , anyway it was tons of fun and that was what I told you it was all about before the race, didnīt I? :D

But, if you arrange for a shorter event around sommer time, I might pop by london for a long weekend - easy jet flys over there for a couple of quids, if we book early enough! and I definitely will get my girlfriend over there for a shopping session (is that an idea?)

Whatsoever, I will be happy to race you again, but beware: I will test my material before the race starts this time :D :D

nice to have met you and your families!

cooldragon AKA Daniel

Jonny
2007.01.08, 01:09 PM
I guys!

nice to have met and raced you last weekend and happy to see you came safe back home!

Although our team hat pretty bad luck, and lost the 6th place during the last rounds to you, I have to congratulate for the fair race. On top of it on a for you totally new underground!

From my side a bit of too much caos and bad luck , anyway it was tons of fun and that was what I told you it was all about before the race, didnīt I? :D

But, if you arrange for a shorter event around sommer time, I might pop by london for a long weekend - easy jet flys over there for a couple of quids, if we book early enough! and I definitely will get my girlfriend over there for a shopping session (is that an idea?)

Whatsoever, I will be happy to race you again, but beware: I will test my material before the race starts this time :D :D

cooldragon AKA Daniel
Hi cooldragon,

It was great to meet you at the weekend and thanks again for the tires!

I understand your problems, we were worried also at the start when we kept losing power and had a lot of catching up when finally the car worked! I'll be worried next time we race together ;)

Yes, you will have to come over this year. We can arrange a long day to run but it will be on RCP track...hope that's OK for you?

As for if shopping is a good idea...your girlfriend will love it but your bank wouldn't :D

Send me an E-Mail if you have MSN or ICQ and we can keep in touch and try to arrange something with all the CRC crew perhaps?

Well great racing like you said no matter where we all placed, can't wait to go back again.

Jonny.

byebye
2007.01.08, 02:11 PM
Hi byeby, Hi Jonny,

Hi Sviny!!!!! Sheila says hello and thanks so much for helping translate. I think both Sheila and Gina didn't expect to enjoy the race but they were immediatly involved with our team and the event. It was a great time for us all!

I guys!

From my side a bit of too much caos and bad luck , anyway it was tons of fun and that was what I told you it was all about before the race, didnīt I?

Whatsoever, I will be happy to race you again, but beware: I will test my material before the race starts this time

cooldragon AKA Daniel

Hi Dan! It was great to meet you and see some of your creations! Well it was a fair race and we too had a troubled start :( . I know now that I will put together a much more solid car that won't be prone to gremlins.

We had a lot of rounds to make up to catch you guys :p . Our car was strong and fast but the motor had connection problems on the brushes. Either way we all had a great time and I am so glad to meet so many great racers.

If you ever come to this area email me or Jonny and we can meet up with you.

-Byebye

Spoon
2007.01.08, 02:46 PM
byebye, that really is a good writeup, I felt like I was there. you should post it to the MZR blog so it gets archived and is a little easier to find.

I have done similar endurance events (12, 18 and 24 mountain bike events) and it really is surreal. You get to the end having had no idea how you were going to make it through. Nice work.

Fovea3d
2007.01.09, 01:04 AM
Hi all!
OK here are the videos
part1/2 (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/070106-12h-oberkirch2007-01.wmv) 32MB
part2/2 (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/070106-12h-oberkirch2007-02.wmv) 36MB
Slowmotion (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/070106-12h-oberkirch2007-slowmotion.wmv) 19MB

Slideshow (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/12h-Oberkirch2007/default.htm)
Slideshow non IE friendly (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/12h-Oberkirch2007/html/0.htm)

My provider server is only allowing 3 connexions at the time and I posted them on 2 other forums so it may be busy for some time. Just try later.

byebye
2007.01.09, 02:10 AM
byebye, that really is a good writeup, I felt like I was there. you should post it to the MZR blog so it gets archived and is a little easier to find.

I have done similar endurance events (12, 18 and 24 mountain bike events) and it really is surreal. You get to the end having had no idea how you were going to make it through. Nice work.

Thanks Spoon. I'll have to do that and post up pics as well. I'll work on that tonight. The whole event hasn't worn off. In fact I'm already planning with other members to come back in 2008. Based on my experience I do believe we can put together a very competative team and car.

@Fov-I'll have to dl those when I get home. Is the slowmo vid my favorite? I hope LOL.

-Byebye

Fovea3d
2007.01.09, 02:22 AM
@Fov-I'll have to dl those when I get home. Is the slowmo vid my favorite? I hope LOL.
-Byebye
This one any many others, particularly when you are chasing my team car :D
Watch for the crash in the straight when your Murcie lost its front wheel :eek:

Jonny
2007.01.09, 04:06 AM
This one any many others, particularly when you are chasing my team car :D
Watch for the crash in the straight when your Murcie lost its front wheel :eek:
Hi Fov,

Thanks very much for getting the video and slideshows running. I really enjoyed watching all of the action again!

You caught some great slo-motions also....although the front wheel incident wasn't as nice to watch again ;)

Jonny

avant
2007.01.09, 05:14 AM
Racers,

finally I manage to write a little summary about the 12h endurance race.

What a weekend - full of nice surprises - Thanks a lot for your participation byebye, Jonny, Gina, Sheila and Drew. We really appreciate your participation in the 12 h race and you've acted as true ambassadors - Thumbs up !

The event has proven again, that the concept "from the community - for the community " works out. We've had so many helpful racers who assisted here and there.

The event has also proven, that not the fastest car wins and that other things are more important than a powerful motor and the right setup. We've had loose screws, bad antennas, breaking bodies, defect light systems non-contacting cables, etc pp. Really basic things that are important.
It was also astonishing for me, that a car just equipped with an XSpeed has ended up 3rd esp. with such good drivers in the other teams - well done 6Z !

Just going fast is also not the right formula - you have to avoid crashes and touching the walls - not an easy task with 9 teams on the track.

The performance of team international was also outstanding as it is really hard in such an environment to gain ground to the next team and team international has won more than 160 laps - really outstanding !
Next time with more experience you'll count as one of the top teams, that's for sure.
Not to forget the best laptime of the race with a 9.83 s which is not too far from our best lap time ever - 9.48 s ...

Unfortunately two of the transponders failed so we had to track the missed laps manually. The transponder of another team went extremely hot and we've had to enter the laps manually in the software. After entering the 25-30th lap in the counting system unfortunately the application died unexpectedly at 11:10 h so we had to restart the system.
Luckily the support of GiroZ is excellent so I've sent a report to the developers and they're already working on it. The benefit of OpenSource development ;)

The official results::

3393 L - Team CRC1
3291 L - Team Fusselflitzer
3137 L - Team 6Z
3082 L - Team CRC2
3035 L - Team LRW
2843 L - Team International
2768 L - Team Alpia
2592 L - Team Sprocki
2576 L - Team Trunk Brook Racing

We've had a great time and I'm looking forward to see you soon guys either in France, UK, US or Germany

Keep on racing !

Cheers,

Jo

Fovea3d
2007.01.09, 10:53 AM
And yet another video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/iblob/video/xyb67_miniz-12h-oberkirch-2007
Sorry for the lack of subtitles at the end, suddenly my team mates started to speak french! :eek: :D

kafou
2007.01.09, 12:14 PM
Hi everybody,
This race was wonderful ! It was my first endurance and it's really something you have to do in your life ! As byebye said, this was sometimes not real, because it's very long, but the hours goes very fast...especially when you must do your after an horrible start...

First I wanted to thank Johny and Kris, they were very kind, they listenned to me when I suggested something, and they prepared a very very fast car, that had also a good handling ! The ambiance in the team was very good and their wives ( or girlfriends..) also helped us a lot.

We had a lot of trouble with our car, maybe because too much parts were new, and because we had to set up just the day before the race. Hence we lost much time repairing ( or just gluing :D ) the car.
Actually I really enjoyed driving during that race, though we didn't win :o ... And we learned a lot from this race and maybe next time the car would have less problem !

I also want to thank Jo who did great job, because it must be difficult to organize such a race.

Fovea's vids are great, and th slow motion are so good :-) !!!

byebye
2007.01.09, 12:54 PM
Great report Jo:). You and the CRC crew did a great job of organizing such an awesome event.

Fov great videos! Our teams looked very fast. Lots of concentration on the racers faces. I can't wait to see what the tv show will put together.

A big thanks to you Kafou for being such a great teammate on such short notice. We were really given a ringer for the event. I hope that kafou will round out team international next year.

-Byebye

.cooldragon
2007.01.09, 01:40 PM
keep an eye on this thread

http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=101273162855

there will be a few dozens of pictures from 08/15 in there... he is just loading them ;)

byebye
2007.01.09, 02:34 PM
Those are some great photos!!! The vids are awesome as well. What an event. I wish everyone was as lucky as I for sure ;).

-Byebye

08/15
2007.01.09, 02:55 PM
Those are some great photos!!!
Thank you byebye...

I think everybody can see on the photos very well, whats the big matter in the CRC: Community and fun!

08/15 - man with the cam ;)

byebye
2007.01.09, 03:16 PM
Thank you byebye...

I think everybody can see on the photos very well, whats the big matter in the CRC: Community and fun!

08/15 - man with the cam ;)

Sebastian??? :confused: :D

08/15
2007.01.09, 03:28 PM
Sebastian??? :confused: :D
Jeah ;) :D

08/15 - It was a pleasure to meet you guys :)

.cooldragon
2007.01.09, 03:37 PM
Thank you byebye...

Holymoly, and I thought we were there because of the Pizza Service...
:D

Jonny
2007.01.09, 03:59 PM
@ 08/15 - They are great pics! Very nice to see the days unfold and the fun moments that we all had together :D

I should have guessed you would have an entire gallery of photos Sebastian - you and your camera were shooting every time I looked up from what I was doing!

And great job creating your Taisan VDS ;)

Excellent stuff!

@ cooldragon - With that HUGE stack of pizza boxes, you could easily come to that conclusion!

Jonny

byebye
2007.01.11, 12:11 PM
Here are the pics we took-
Enjoy!
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=980&ppuser=

-Byebye

Ninja
2007.01.11, 12:17 PM
man that off-road course looks amazing. I also like the pic of the Lancia Delta. I usually hat the way the Delta looks, but something about that one really sets it off. It may be those deep dish wheels ;)

benmlee
2007.01.11, 03:16 PM
Curious how the night running works. From the pictures, the place looks pretty dark. Can you see the car well enought to drive, or are you running using headlights only. That seems pretty difficult to do that.

Jonny
2007.01.11, 03:20 PM
Curious how the night running works. From the pictures, the place looks pretty dark. Can you see the car well enought to drive, or are you running using headlights only. That seems pretty difficult to do that.
Hi, it is indeed quite dark. You can't really make the car out too easily and the lights are imperative to drive!

And yes, it is difficult but it was my first night stage so was a strange experience- the other guys seem used to it and got on fine!

Other 12 hour racers, please post your views - byebye, Kafou?

Jonny

byebye
2007.01.11, 04:23 PM
Well as much as I thought it wouldn't be too necissary to have good lighting I was wrong. Our light kit wasn't powerful enough and was malfunctioning. Luckily we had ~80+ laps on our nearest competitor so when I drove I just tried to stay off the walls. Of course off all the times to throw a tire I think we threw tires about 6 different times and two or three times we couldn't recover the tires because it was too dark.

When I do it again Arch2b will do up some nice light coverage. The rules in the race don't restrict you to one body so I think out plan for next year will be to have another body specifically for the night run.

Battery drainage is not bad at all. We were running roughly 20min. per charge and the night run was only for 1 hour since the lighting was chem lights.

When the lights out our huge lead nearly went out. Other teams seem to not worry too much but of course they had lots of prior experience.

-Byebye

Jonny
2007.01.11, 04:52 PM
Well as much as I thought it wouldn't be too necissary to have good lighting I was wrong. Our light kit wasn't powerful enough and was malfunctioning. Luckily we had ~80+ laps on our nearest competitor so when I drove I just tried to stay off the walls. Of course off all the times to throw a tire I think we threw tires about 6 different times and two or three times we couldn't recover the tires because it was too dark.

That's an excellent point, I forgot that was happening and yes I'd like to see someone find one in the dark!

I think some small lamps at intermittent points around the track, like floodlights at a race track would still make a nice night stage, look the part and also help in actually viewing the car in low light conditions.

When I do it again Arch2b will do up some nice light coverage. The rules in the race don't restrict you to one body so I think out plan for next year will be to have another body specifically for the night run.

True, that's another way entirely to do it. And hard wired connections.

Battery drainage is not bad at all. We were running roughly 20min. per charge and the night run was only for 1 hour since the lighting was chem lights.

Before we went over to Germany, I thought the LED's would hit our consumption and cause us to drop off early but they weren't too bad in my testing before the race. However, we needn't have worried during the race...can you say maglite? :rolleyes:

When the lights out our huge lead nearly went out. Other teams seem to not worry too much but of course they had lots of prior experience.

I'd like to get some more running done in the dark but of course the conditions are difficult to replicate. Overall we'll be happier with preperation before the next 12 hour.

Jonny

byebye
2007.01.12, 12:50 AM
man that off-road course looks amazing. I also like the pic of the Lancia Delta. I usually hat the way the Delta looks, but something about that one really sets it off. It may be those deep dish wheels ;)

The off road course was pretty cool. Lots of work put into it. It was unfinished according to Jo but it was still usable. I pulled the Lancia off the shelf. I don't know whos car it was but thought it would look cool around that bend.

-Byebye

08/15
2007.01.12, 04:34 AM
I don't know whos car it was but thought it would look cool around that bend
That should be the Car of Spitfire (Manuel)...
He has the smaller Tagu-Wheels and added a small front spoiler to make the Lancia more "sportive".

During the 12h, I also made a picture of Marcs white Lancia at nearly the same Location:

http://www.rc-micromodellbau.de/ftp/0815/12h/Lancia.JPG

08/15 - hope you like it

Fovea3d
2007.01.12, 04:39 AM
Nice pictures Byebye! BTW its me with the cowboy hat LOL... We use to wear hats or wigs at races not only for fun... it is also good to spot a teammate in a crowdy environment in case of problem :D

Here is an interesting video from Oberkirch:
First you will see a "classic" race with standard Kyosho motor and car bodies from +25 years.
Then you see some crawlers on the off road course. And least Avant's AWD Jota and Fly truck on the race track :eek:
Video 16MB (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/061104CRC.wmv)
BTW red Delta is Spitfires's

tytooo
2007.01.12, 03:27 PM
Hello Guys

Here is TyToO, you know? Yes the man with blue hairs :rolleyes:

This event was a big sucess, congratulation for Avant and his friends for the organisation . It was very cool to met so many driver from different country.

I am very happy to have met you byebye and johnny, and i hope we will see you again, for the Rallye perhaps ;)

TyToO

byebye
2007.01.12, 04:49 PM
Yeah if you guys can get it organized I think Jonny and I can get it together to get out there. Maybe hit up CRC again ;).

I really enjoyed meeting so many different personalities in the min-z world. Hope you guys liked the pics.

-Byebye

Jonny
2007.01.12, 04:56 PM
Hello Guys

Here is TyToO, you know? Yes the man with blue hairs :rolleyes:

This event was a big sucess, congratulation for Avant and his friends for the organisation . It was very cool to met so many driver from different country.

I am very happy to have met you byebye and johnny, and i hope we will see you again, for the Rallye perhaps ;)

TyToO
How are you? Great to meet you too, it was very nice to race against all the talented International drivers :D

And I think we should make the Rallye this year and the CRC again, so we can drive some more!

Jonny

.cooldragon
2007.01.12, 05:01 PM
regarding the night driving and the making out of the cars in the dark, we talked a couple of minutes about that on friday and I told you what you needed: someting you can identify. 9 cars, all with white and red lights? And you thing you will know which one is yours, wenn they are all together at any point?

Thats why we used a underglow in the car. might sound fun, but if you take a closer look at the night pichtures, you will easyly identify which car ours is... look for blue lines ;o)

unfortunately, one of the main cables got broken in an accident we were involved. **** happens, so we had to tape 2 of the light-sticks onto the car, like some others...

was fun, I really enjoyed nightdrivng this time

Jonny
2007.01.12, 05:52 PM
Hi cooldragon,

Yes you are correct about the lights! I remember our talk and your comments on the field of red and white lights, your car made a nice difference and it's s shame the neons failed too. We also had the glowsticks at one point and then a maglite on the roof!

It was very interesting but I need more practice (and a better lighting system!)

Jonny

avant
2007.01.13, 02:04 AM
... again - it's all about preparation and reliability ;) (and experience, of course)

Cheers,

Jo

byebye
2007.01.13, 04:00 AM
regarding the night driving and the making out of the cars in the dark, we talked a couple of minutes about that on friday and I told you what you needed: someting you can identify. 9 cars, all with white and red lights? And you thing you will know which one is yours, wenn they are all together at any point?

Thats why we used a underglow in the car. might sound fun, but if you take a closer look at the night pichtures, you will easyly identify which car ours is... look for blue lines ;o)

unfortunately, one of the main cables got broken in an accident we were involved. **** happens, so we had to tape 2 of the light-sticks onto the car, like some others...

was fun, I really enjoyed nightdrivng this time

Yeah I remember seeing you LOL.

Jo is right, preperation and reliability. Knowing the factors now means next year our plan will be better but nothings every bullet proof till its over ;)

-Byebye

avant
2007.01.13, 04:21 AM
... but nothings every bullet proof till its over ;)
You're completely right, byebye. The first year we had to change two times the esc as we've seen, that the AD-Band esc had "static issues" during the long run and our two ESCs have switched themselves off ;)

Cheers,

Jo

arch2b
2007.03.01, 06:28 PM
here is an excellent tv spot these guys got :eek: :cool:

http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/12hOberkirch2007DMAXLowRes.wmv

Jonny
2007.03.01, 07:28 PM
here is an excellent tv spot these guys got :eek: :cool:

http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/12hOberkirch2007DMAXLowRes.wmv
Hi Arch,

We've been waiting patiently for this TV Spot, glad it's finally gone to transmission :D

Jonny

Fovea3d
2007.03.01, 07:43 PM
Hi all!

I edited the mini-z race out of the whole show, the source for the whole vid is there:

http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=100576879055&startid=2#lp link from user Balthasar called "DMAX Doku"
or direct link here http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=9KVILRQJ
The quality is far better than my wmv, but... 430 MB :eek:

Great show ;)

Alain

Jonny
2007.03.01, 07:52 PM
Hi all!

I edited the mini-z race out of the whole show, the source for the whole vid is there:

The quality is far better than my wmv, but... 430 MB :eek:

Great show ;)

Alain
Hi Alain,

I was going to mail you to say thanks for your editing! It's great to finally see the feature :D

Speak soon,

Jonny

byebye
2007.03.02, 03:14 AM
What a race huh? I was reliving it this morning!:).

I can't wait for 2008!

If I only had my mini-zracer.com polo..........;)

-Byebye

marc
2007.12.10, 05:17 PM
Do you think Kyosho will release other Leman's type cars? I'm looking forward to their new Porsche 962 and doesn' that have the new 2.4 GHZ system? If so, for a real 12 hour race, imagine racing up to 40 "Leman's" cars at once! Now that would be awesome!

arch2b
2007.12.10, 06:28 PM
redundant question, has nothing to do with this event, and no, i doubt the lemans car will be sold on anything but the 2.4 chassis. again, has nothign to do with this event but you will have to do your own conversion via rear suspension/motor pod if you want to un on other chassis's likely. it would be no different than running a van on an mr-02 for example.

yes, i would be awsome to see many lemans cars in a race however i doubt you will ever see a track that would be large enough to handle 40 of anything.

marc
2007.12.10, 06:30 PM
Well, maybe 20 cars. :)

arch2b
2007.12.10, 06:33 PM
i doubt even 20. the most we have ever run is 12 on even a large track and you had lots of traffic crashes. it's not to say others may have not run more but you quickly reach a partical cap that makes anything more just rediculous. i think the track would have to be very wide and large to hold 20 without it being impractical. it would be entertaining to atleast see video of a group trying though :p

pinoyboy
2007.12.10, 07:00 PM
i doubt even 20. the most we have ever run is 12 on even a large track and you had lots of traffic crashes. it's not to say others may have not run more but you quickly reach a partical cap that makes anything more just rediculous. i think the track would have to be very wide and large to hold 20 without it being impractical. it would be entertaining to atleast see video of a group trying though :p

This just reminded me of a video I've seen. This is with 22.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoeIGVqm-_A

Fovea3d
2007.12.10, 07:24 PM
Even with only 10 cars/teams it was quite busy on the CRC track in Germany during the 12h, not to mention that during a 12h enduro some cars may be slower due to end of battery pack while others are faster with fresh packs resulting in a lot of passings. 10 cars is the limit on a conventional track I guess, even though 40 cars would be amazing but would require a much much longer course to have say, an average of one car every 10 meters (and so a 400 meters/quarter mile course).

13 cars on my track (few years ago ) (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/13cars.WMV)

ruf
2007.12.10, 08:45 PM
redundant question, has nothing to do with this event, and no, i doubt the lemans car will be sold on anything but the 2.4 chassis.
shhhh... ;)

marc
2007.12.10, 08:49 PM
You would need a specially built place to house such an amazing track. How about a 1/28 scale of Nurbergring? I'm sure I completely miss spelled that name but you know what track I'm talking about. I'd think you'd almost need a football stadium size place to house it. Plus, I can picture cameras layd out on certian point's of the tracks with monitors in front of the drivers so they can see there car when they can't see there car. Sorry, but I think that would really make for an awesome 12 hour race.

Cool video Pin, that would be highly destracting trying to keep an eye on just YOUR car! LOL! Awesome!

Fovea3d
2007.12.10, 09:15 PM
Plus, I can picture cameras layd out on certian point's of the tracks with monitors in front of the drivers so they can see there car when they can't see there car.
Just use cars with onboard cams. Cars have to be slowed down to more reasonable scale speed though. I have tried, driving a Z from the pilot seat is like driving a 5000HP dragster :eek:
This was actually driving from a PC monitor the floor below (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/videos/pilotagespycam.wmv)

The Nurburgring at 1/28 scale would need a surface of 250x250 yards with lanes of only 16'' wide ;)

Sorry for the OT... but the 12h Le Mans are for next month, I know I am preparing :D

marc
2007.12.10, 09:37 PM
Nice vid Fovea, I like the begining where that car flipped out of the track!
250x250 yards huh? Still, a site to be seen! WOW! Sure is fun thinking about it ain't it?