PDA

View Full Version : What can a Mini-Z board handle?

Spoon
2006.12.13, 04:37 PM
I have two questions...

Can a Mini-Z board handle 4 AA batteries? Can it handle 6? I am working on a conversion project and I would like to know if (how much) I have to mod the current battery configuration.

arch2b
2006.12.13, 04:44 PM
hmmm.... sounds very interesting.

nivlacs3z
2006.12.13, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I don't see whynot. 4AAs just means more runtime or more current if the board will pull it, and we've see 6cell racers so whynot 6AAs? I don't think that AAs are necessary though. Looks like it would just add on some more weight. Li-poly would be really interesting and stupid fast. What conversion project are you doing? Any pics? Gl!

Spoon
2006.12.13, 05:39 PM
All I can say right now is that I found a really cheap RC vehicle that runs on 6 AA's. I am not sure if it has propo steering and it's on a fixed frequency. I don't even know what it drives like because I took it apart to see if I could put a Z board in it.

It's powered by 6AA's so if I could just leave it that way and not fry the Mini-Z board, I will probably do it. I might just pop in some 4562's just in case.

Draconious
2006.12.13, 06:54 PM
I do not recomend going over 4 cells...

hbc865
2006.12.13, 06:58 PM
I have two questions...

Can a Mini-Z board handle 4 AA batteries? Can it handle 6? I am working on a conversion project and I would like to know if (how much) I have to mod the current battery configuration.

why not just get a pair of Li-Ion batteries each @3.6 volts but if you set them to a 2s config you will run @ 7.2volts more power , and you need a lithiam smart charger

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1337

Spoon
2006.12.13, 07:04 PM
why not just get a pair of Li-Ion batteries each @3.6 volts

I am trying to do this one on the cheap. I have a ton of AA batteries and I don't really want to have to buy any more. This is a low cost conversion for style :cool: not speed!!!

I do not recomend going over 4 cells...

Thanks for the input Drac...do you think 4 AA's would be a problem? I guess that depends on what kind of load I am putting on the board. You probably can't answer that without knowing what I am up to...

Spoon
2006.12.13, 07:40 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I found a $10 18 wheeler at food lion and decided that even if it sucked (which it does) I could put a Mini-Z board in it and make it propo. At very least I could choose what channel it's on.

A Z won't quite fit in the cargo, but I can take it off really easily and make it a flatbed.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/722/DSC01263.JPG
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/722/DSC01262.JPG

arch2b
2006.12.13, 07:46 PM
the micro-t electronics will go up to 7.2v if i'm not mistaken.

Draconious
2006.12.13, 10:22 PM
You could use 4 D cells if you wanted too ;)

Drive it the way it came, you might be surprised at how well it will do stock ;)

rkk
2006.12.14, 01:38 AM
Or you could just put a 6 volt lanter battery in the trailer lol

Spoon
2006.12.14, 08:14 AM
You could use 4 D cells if you wanted too ;)

Drive it the way it came, you might be surprised at how well it will do stock ;)

Actually, I just did that last night before I started cutting wires. It's actually okay but I have no idea what 27MHz frequency it's on. I would like to be able to select the channel.

There's so much space in it I could probably use just about any micro esc on it. I wonder if I could find one cheap.

arch2b
2006.12.14, 08:56 AM
check around for some stock 1/18 stuff as most guys upgrade. also check half eight's as well, same story there. i bet if you emailed kenontap, he might have something to use, he's got everything :p

ub0211042
2006.12.22, 02:42 AM
can a 7.4v Lipo battery be used with stock mini-z MA-010 board?
do i need to upgrade the fets?

Draconious
2006.12.22, 09:52 AM
1.25v-1.5v x4cells = 5-6v

7.4v > 6v
As previously stated going over the stock 4 volts is not the best of ideas...

People that convert to lipo often forget about the peak voltage...
7.4v is equivilent to 5 cells at normal charge, at full charge it would be upto 9.5v when you first power it up, which would be equivilent to 6 or 7 cells.
It is all a matter of how long do you want the PCB to last?

Rumor is the latest PCB versions can take more volts... some have reported doing so, but you never hear much about it after their first run, or their experiment, there is not much about old-cars that have been using more voltage for long periods of time... so unless some one on here has been using 6-7 cells for the last 100 races or so wants to contribute, I would have to say the PCB does not last long with this much power through it, it could cause havok with the servo as well as the reciever...

So... if your willing to risk the electronics that cost 100$ or so to replace... go for it. :)

They DEFINATLY will not take it on stock fets! you add more voltage to the motor its gona draw more amps as well... and fry the stock fets.

ub0211042
2006.12.23, 07:56 AM

7.4v > 6v

7.4v is equivilent to 5 cells at normal charge, at full charge it would be upto 9.5v when you first power it up, which would be equivilent to 6 or 7 cells.

Rumor is the latest PCB versions can take more volts... some have reported doing so, but you never hear much about it after their first run, or their experiment, there is not much about old-cars that have been using more voltage for long periods of time... so unless some one on here has been using 6-7 cells for the last 100 races or so wants to contribute, I would have to say the PCB does not last long with this much power through it, it could cause havok with the servo as well as the reciever...

So... if your willing to risk the electronics that cost 100$ or so to replace... go for it. :)

They DEFINATLY will not take it on stock fets! you add more voltage to the motor its gona draw more amps as well... and fry the stock fets.

7.4v > 6v

So... if your willing to risk the electronics that cost 100$ or so to replace... go for it.

Thanks for ur answer and merry X'mas!