PDA

View Full Version : Comm Drops? Yea or Nay?

crusader4x
2002.04.14, 01:07 AM
I was cleaning out the motor on my old 1/10 Kyosho Raider 2WD buggy and wondered, "Should I put these Trinity Black Death Comm Drops into my new Megatech Hi Speed and Torq motor?" Should I put Comm Drops in all of my Mini-Z motors? What do you RC Pros think?

FenDer BenDer
2002.04.14, 04:59 PM
funny you should ask that question, I was just gonna post on how good the black death drops worked for me !!

I used them on a 100% stock motor

1 drop on the comm (it's hard but you can do it)
1 drop on eack bushing (where the rotor shaft sticks out)

clean away any and all oil remaining and voila !! motor runs almost silent and with a longer run time noted it must be slightly better power comsumption wise..

the only thing I had to do was mod the bottle of black death I added a siringe type needle, this allows me to get to all those hard to reach places with ease !!

and b4 I added the black death I cleaned the motor with contact cleaner and made 100% sure it was dry then applied..

I like it...so you have my vote to use it..

Scoobaru
2002.04.14, 06:11 PM
the black death drops do wonders to the motor!!!! after putting a drop in the places FenDer suggested, the motor is instantaneously quieter, and seems to be producing more torque. i would even say that the topspeed has improved. i would definitely suggest it even if there was no performance increase; just the fact that the motor is running smoother with less friction is good enough for me.

my 0.02

scoob:D

petersiu007
2002.04.14, 08:07 PM
Just wondering what black death drops are and where u can get them... Thanks

Scoobaru
2002.04.14, 08:45 PM
if i'm not wrong, they are a type of motor lubricant. once again, if i'm not wrong, it's from trinity. you should be able to find it at any hobby shop.

hope this helps,

scoob:D

crusader4x
2002.04.14, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the answers to my question guys!

Just go to your LHS and ask for comm drops. If they don't have them, your LHS is really, really bad!

mini-z
2002.04.15, 06:32 PM
Another vote for the comm drops. We tested one motor with, and one with out (identical new stock) and it made a great difference, in RPMs and in quietness.

herman
2002.04.15, 10:03 PM
mr mini-z...

here's a question on the test you made... did you test them without load? or did you test them with load on actual road conditions? did the motor with the com drops perform any better / faster? thanks for any input...

oh yeah i was wondering how were you able to check the rpms? can you pls check the rpm's on the following motors as well?

kyosho stock
kyosho x-speed
gpm high torque (038)
gpm high speed (039)
gpm high torque + speed (040)

i'm not too sure about the numbers on the gpm high tourque / high speed, i may have mixed them up, but i'm sure the gpm high torque + speed is a (040) thanks in advance for any info
:D

RallyNut
2002.04.15, 10:30 PM
I use regular Tamiya soft damper oil on my stock motor and I find it is pretty fast (24 km/hr on a Tamiya speed chacker with an 8t and 700mah batteries) and is the quietest car on the track. I can only hear it when it's right beside me!

mini-z
2002.04.16, 12:32 AM
Herman, we tested both without load and in two stock F1s. We're working on an article which will feature in-depth info on a number of common motors as well as some of the rarer ones!

herman
2002.04.16, 03:27 AM
will that be in the motor tech forum? and thanks in advance...

a guy at the track had some sort of gadget that measured the rpm's in his slot car... just don't know what you call it... i suppose you can use it to find out the rpm's of the mini-z's as well...

good news is... the guy has turned over to the mini-z track... mwahahaha... he cannot escape the power of the z... looks like ninco has no more power over him...:D

i guess we'll have to ask him to bring it next time i see him...

Draconious
2002.04.16, 03:37 AM
Remember if you using com drops, that themotor has to be cleaned regularly I'd say at least ever 3 or 4 sets of batteries drained.... and then relubed... the com drops get clogged round the com area

FenDer BenDer
2002.04.16, 09:18 PM
yup, I should have been more detailed in how I use comm drops thanks for pointing that out, I do clean my motor after every race night (3-4 sets of batts) and yes the motor does get dirty (yeck) and I re-apply after every cleaning..

thanks drac !!