PDA

View Full Version : Tire Labelling and Keeping Tires Matched

Jonny
2006.12.21, 12:25 PM
Hi Guys,

So I am going through my tire stock ready for the 12 Hour Le mans series and thought I would share how I label and match my sets.

Using Manufacturer, Degree and Set Number.

Simply, it's using a silver gel pen and some clear nail varnish top coat (no it's not mine! :D )

Tires Labelled (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/779/medium/Mini_Z_Tire_Labelling.jpg)

Jonny

Draconious
2006.12.21, 01:42 PM
does the nail stuff keep the lettering on? I was using a silver pen inside my tires once... but all I had to do was put the tire on and use it and the writing wore off onto the rim...

Jonny
2006.12.21, 02:14 PM
does the nail stuff keep the lettering on? I was using a silver pen inside my tires once... but all I had to do was put the tire on and use it and the writing wore off onto the rim...

Hi Draconious,

Yes indeed, the top coat seals the pen with a gloss finish and prevents the ink transferring when installing the tire.

I'm sure some sort of paint sealer would work aswell but my fiance has the top coat in stock all the time plus it comes with the applicator brush... :D

Jonny

Draconious
2006.12.21, 04:47 PM
and this sealer dont cause the tire to slip off the rim easier? and tire tape does not effect it? or cause it to peel off? ;)

Jonny
2006.12.22, 02:20 AM
and this sealer dont cause the tire to slip off the rim easier? and tire tape does not effect it? or cause it to peel off? ;)
In short:

1. No

2. It most likely would, I don't use tape.

3. The sealer has to be applied thinly otherwise cracking will appear quickly when flexed. The tire is written on, sealed and turned back from being inside out straight away and thus you can identify the mark easily when looking.

As I said in the first thread, this is a basic way to keep track of my tire stock and matching and will not last for extended periods of swapping out/replacing. I'm able to see what I have immediately and saves problems in case they are mixed together at a meet and also allows me to see what I'm running on my cars when I can't remember what's on the rim. :p

Jonny