PDA

View Full Version : tires for f-1

beemer123
2006.12.22, 11:44 PM
Greetings to all, I don't know which degree of tires should i use to run on carpet, anyone can recommend me?The only brand I can buy here is Atomic.
http://www.rcatomic.com/main/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13

fastXracer24
2006.12.26, 08:34 PM
Is this low carpet? I would run atomics 20s in the front and 30 in the rear. You don't need that much traction for on carpet racing so go with these. :D

beemer123
2007.01.01, 04:00 AM
yes i run on carpet, thanks.

mini-zfuel
2007.01.24, 01:57 PM
what about the best tyre setup for a rcp track?
thanks!!!

bolter9
2007.01.24, 03:27 PM
what about the best tyre setup for a rcp track?
thanks!!!

20-30 degree for RCP (textured side). Anything softer and the grooves flex too much, causing loss of traction. Anything harder, and the tires will spin on acceleration.

The kyosho slicks work great up front (if you can find them), but you have to watch for heat bubbles over time. They'll eventually cause major understeer at high speed...but nothing a little sandpaper won't fix. It's something you'll notice right away when it happens.

Foams work the best on RCP (and probably carpet), but most races won't let you use them, unless it's a specific foam class where everyone has them.

Fish
2007.01.24, 03:39 PM
20-30 degree for RCP (textured side). Anything softer and the grooves flex too much, causing loss of traction. Anything harder, and the tires will spin on acceleration.

I'll second this. I use Kyosho grooved tires, 20 in the rear and 30 in front, and I get pretty good handling on RCP. With a little driving finesse, you'll have enough bite so that it won't spin out so easily on power, but still lots of steering to put the car anywhere you want on the track.

arch2b
2007.01.24, 05:19 PM
I'll second this. I use Kyosho grooved tires, 20 in the rear and 30 in front, and I get pretty good handling on RCP. With a little driving finesse, you'll have enough bite so that it won't spin out so easily on power, but still lots of steering to put the car anywhere you want on the track.
this has proved to be the most controllable rcp setup for me as well and i've tried atleast 4 combo's. i still get a tad too much understeer but it's controllable atleast provided you finese the throttle at the right points. i find it easier to work with the understeer than deal with spinning out due to oversteer. i got the terms right?

bolter9
2007.01.24, 05:57 PM
this has proved to be the most controllable rcp setup for me as well and i've tried atleast 4 combo's. i still get a tad too much understeer but it's controllable atleast provided you finese the throttle at the right points. i find it easier to work with the understeer than deal with spinning out due to oversteer. i got the terms right?

yep oversteer=too much steering, understeer = too little (makes you run wide).

The F1's a great platform for tuning- you really notice the slightest changes in handling, especially in regards to the types and the condition of the tires you're using.

Add a controller with tunable curves, and you've got a super accurate car!

Fish
2007.01.24, 06:40 PM
Dialing in a bit of understeer seems to be the standard setup, but I find having some push is a bit more frustrating than having too much steering.

In regards to the original poster's question, I also found that while it doesn't work on RCP, 10R 20F worked alright on other slicker foam surfaces and on some carpet, especially when track conditions are not very favorable (ie. dirty, dusty). I'm not quite sure how the Atomic F1 tires compare to Kyosho's.

bolter9
2007.01.24, 11:19 PM
Dialing in a bit of understeer seems to be the standard setup, but I find having some push is a bit more frustrating than having too much steering.

In regards to the original poster's question, I also found that while it doesn't work on RCP, 10R 20F worked alright on other slicker foam surfaces and on some carpet, especially when track conditions are not very favorable (ie. dirty, dusty). I'm not quite sure how the Atomic F1 tires compare to Kyosho's.

From my experience, Atomic and Kyosho tires are fairly equal (unless you're talking about the Kyosho team slicks).

I agree on understeer being frustrating- it's a matter of preference for sure, but I prefer a bit of oversteer vs. understeer anyday. Maybe I'm just a late apex-er :p

fastXracer24
2007.01.27, 09:23 AM
I just got my Atomic F1 tires in about a week ago. I got 2 sets of 10 degree rears and 2 sets of 20 degree fronts. I am really impressed. I drive on hardwood and it has loads of traction on the floor. Doesn't matter if it is dusty on if the floor is clean. I haven't tried the Kyosho ones but if they are better than the Atomics than they would have to be really good.

Oh how do you run 20's in the front and 30's in the rear? I thought you were to put the tires with more traction in the rear? 20's in the rear and 30's in the front? Maybe it is just another setup... :rolleyes: :)

hobbycar
2007.01.27, 12:30 PM
FYI, in addition to the Atomic F1 tires, the Shop now has several of the highly sought Kyosho F1 Tires in stock. Get them while they are hot :D

Kyosho Mini-Z Slick Rear Tire for F1 (23) - 4PCS (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17323&cat=0&page=3)

Kyosho Mini-Z High Grip Grooved Rear Tire for F1 (20) - 4PCS (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16745&cat=0&page=2)

Kyosho Mini-Z High Grip Grooved Rear Tire for F1 (10) - 4PCS #16811 (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16811&cat=0&page=2)

And email the shop if you don't see what you need as he may have it and just not listed yet or so it can be ordered.

FYI, when searching for F1 Tires and other parts I search for the term "For F1".

-hobbycar

bolter9
2007.01.27, 03:09 PM
FYI, when searching for F1 Tires and other parts I search for the term "For F1".

-hobbycar

Good tip- for some reason if you select F1 from the category list, you only get a partial listing of what the shop has.

hobbycar
2007.01.27, 06:33 PM
Good tip- for some reason if you select F1 from the category list, you only get a partial listing of what the shop has.

Slowly but surely the parts are being reorganized/recategorized to make it easier to find parts. Unfortunately until this is finished users will have to rely on other ways of finding the parts.

-hobbycar