PDA

View Full Version : couple of homebuild track Qs

cjm_2007
2006.12.28, 06:16 PM
hi,

i've constructed my own practice track in the chip-boarded-out loft of my house.

it covers an area of 5m x 4.5 and is marked out by 20mm garden hose (!) which is tacked down using 40mm tacks. i'm pretty pleased with the results, lane width averages 22 inches pretty much everywhere, and the hose allows for some nice constant radius corners.

however, the chipboard is pretty inconsistent gripwise and i'm getting a mix of lift-off oversteer or power-on oversteer depending on where i am on the track - arrggh! the MR-02 i'm running is very flickable, but also nigh on impossible to catch on this surface when it does step out of line - the servo isn't that quick!

my MR-02 is completely stock by the way, including tyres.

so here are the questions:
1. does anyone else race on chipboard? are there any ways of increasing the grip, or making the grip more consistent? i've heard of using 'sugar water' - but maybe water + untreated board isn't a good idea?!

2. i do lust after the RCP mat system but i'm put off by the price, and i think it'd be OTT unless i'm running some sort of club. are there other surfaces that deliver in terms of grip and are cheap? does anyone have experience with:
* roofing felt?
* other commercially available rubber matting in rolls rather than tiles?
* primafelt racing carpet
* any other decent carpet which doesn't fluff!
* sandpaper (!)

3. i think that covers it :)

sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!

arch2b
2006.12.28, 06:19 PM
do what others do with wood tracks, mix sand in paint

i assume your all stock car means stock tires as well? try softer tires as well.

Ninja
2006.12.28, 06:57 PM
I have heard that tar paper works well. I would just spray the back of it with some spray adhesive and put it down :D

TruReaper(Chad)
2006.12.28, 08:36 PM
i have a 12x16 track in my garage on 3/4 plywood. I used concrete paint with no-skid mixed into it. After it was finished i was able to race around it with all stock parts including tyres. But i could also change tyres and get better traction aswell Thats an idea if you are up for it it was like 25$ for paint and no-skid works great and has been for about 4 years now

cjm_2007
2006.12.29, 03:29 AM
awesome advice guys :)

i've been browsing the forums for these questions anyway, and i'm now looking for some 'regupol 6510'!

the paint idea is one that i have considered but the missus would go bonkers!

Ninja
2006.12.29, 03:51 AM
there is something similar to that regupol stuff that some of our shippers use in our trailers at work. I have 3 pieces of it about 2'x5' each. It is good to drive on, good grip, very similar to RCP.

cjm_2007
2006.12.29, 04:30 AM
there is something similar to that regupol stuff that some of our shippers use in our trailers at work. I have 3 pieces of it about 2'x5' each. It is good to drive on, good grip, very similar to RCP.

you're up late mate (or early)!

nice one - can you find out what it's called?

i've emailed the regupol manufacturers in germany to get a quote per roll - still no reply although it's been less than a day and they're probably off for xmas.

i've found 1 uk distributor with a price list, they're selling the regupol 6510 equivalent at about 200 quid for a 15m roll. that's pretty expensive, and would make the RCP track a cheaper option, especially with the current pound/dollar exchange rate.

Ninja
2006.12.29, 07:50 AM
not really sure where to buy it, but this is what it is http://www.rbrubber.com/rolled.html
I'll keep looking for a distributor with pricing.

cjm_2007
2006.12.29, 10:28 AM
not really sure where to buy it, but this is what it is http://www.rbrubber.com/rolled.html
I'll keep looking for a distributor with pricing.

the websites are always reasonably clear but it's tricky finding prices isn't it!?

i'd also be interested in pricing up either prima-felt or ozite. i reckon running a mini-z on proper racing carpet would be good training for if/when i eventually start racing 1/10th tc again.

cjm_2007
2006.12.29, 05:47 PM
the websites are always reasonably clear but it's tricky finding prices isn't it!?

i'd also be interested in pricing up either prima-felt or ozite. i reckon running a mini-z on proper racing carpet would be good training for if/when i eventually start racing 1/10th tc again.

i think 'regupol' is the way to go, judging by some of the tracks i've seen on websites in norway, sweden etc :eek:

just got to find someone who sells the stuff now!

there was a thread about regupol but it hasn't been updated for a long time. if i find out anything (contacts, websites etc) i'll post here.