PDA

View Full Version : DuraTrax Piranha AC/DC Digital Peak Charger

arch2b
2007.01.05, 07:12 PM
i just bought a used model to replace my gws peak charger. does anyone have any 'idiots guide' directions for this?

i would like to save settings to charge:
mini-z lit
losi micro-t
kyosho half eight
carisma 1/14
maybe aaa via charging stand

Ninja
2007.01.05, 07:47 PM
Buttons:
- goes down in menu
+ goes up in menus
E is the enter/ select button

to program the different settings:
press [e], use - or + to select the program model you wish to use
press the [e] again to select it
pressing + once will give you a battery setup screen
select the battery setup screen by pressing [e]
use the [-] and [+] buttons to set the cell type either NiCd or NiMh and press [e]
use the [-] and [+] buttons to set the capacity of the cells and press [e]
use the [-] and [+] buttons to set the charge current/rate and press [e]
use the [-] and [+] buttons to set the peak detection (I reccomend 3mV/C) and press [e] the final time to return to the program select screen.
pressing [e] and holding it down will start the charge, pressing [e] during a charge will stop the charge at any time.

setting user interface:
pressing + twice will give you a user setup screen, press [e] to select user setup
use the [-] and [+] buttons to set the trickle rate (0mA for NiMh) and press [e]
use the [-] and [+] buttons to select your preference of melody (heard when battery reaches set capacity) and press [e]

all done, when charging Rayovac IC3 batteries when they reach the correct capacity they will close the circuit, causing the charger to give an error alarm. Do not be worried, your cells will recieve a full charge ;)
During charging, at the top left of the LCD display it will show the current being sent to the batteries at that moment, sometimes this will fluctuate, and may not reach the desired setting depending on the cells. At the top right of the display you can monitor how many MAh have been sent to the batteries. This will give you a good idea of how discharged your cells are. It will not always display the full capacity as it takes alot to bring the cell down to 0. at the bottom of the display it will show you how many volts are being supplied to the batteries. this should never excede twice the battery voltage (eg. 1AA=1.2V, shouldnt excede 2.4V, a 6 cell pack is 7.2V, and should never excede 14.8V)

that should be it. The Piranha is a "smart" charger. It will decrease voltage and amperage as it sees fit compared to the resistance feedback it recieves from the batteries. So, dont be alarmed if you look over and the voltage and/or amperage reads 0 but the pack hasnt finished charging yet. It will resume normal process momentarily.

Hope this helps Arch. For the money, this charger just cant be beat. :D

arch2b
2007.01.05, 07:54 PM
thanks. i paid about $44 for it.

tzero
2007.01.05, 08:29 PM
Ouch... $44 for a used one... :( they run about $50 new.

arch2b
2007.01.05, 09:13 PM
well, it may not have been a cheap buy in that case but it's worth it. atleast i have something that can do all the things i was looking for.

HammerZ
2007.01.05, 10:01 PM
I used mine for my Epoch and sub C packs, and a few things in between. Thise things are worth it, may be a little slow though. I would watch about using cheap RS packs on it, as it can cook them, so hot the sticker just fell right off. I killed two Radio Shack Nimh packs on it so far. I guess I need to buy some better packs next time. Those packs are labeled 3000mah, but best to set it for 2500mah.

For my AAA batteries I have a different charger for that, I like the quick turnaround from running and charging with it.

arch2b
2007.01.05, 10:50 PM
does anyone have the optimum charging settings for the following? i've asked in spereate threads but it would be far easier for me to reference this thread...

epoch 3 cell pack
micro-t 4 cell pack
mini-z lit

Hammer
2007.01.06, 04:24 PM
does anyone have the optimum charging settings for the following? i've asked in spereate threads but it would be far easier for me to reference this thread...

epoch 3 cell pack
micro-t 4 cell pack
mini-z litFor the Micro-t stock battery pack with an obvious battery capacity of 150mAh and charging at 0.4 amps (400mA) with a delta peak setting of 3mV/C works best for me. This setting generates a consistent peak charge of 150mAh, taking between 18 and 24 minutes.