PDA

View Full Version : What race classes should we have?

hobbycar
2007.01.07, 10:55 AM
I would like to discuss what race classes we should have now that we have the option of doing bigger races and tracks.

In fact I would like to start to "formalize" our race nights. Being casual has worked well with our group but if we can "formalize" our racing schedule that would help when we start to get more people to come. We will need to formalize how and when we practice, check-in, qualify and race.

As far as race classes the options seem to include:

Chassis:
Mini-Z MR-02, MR-015, MR-01
XMod
IWaver
Pro-Z 2WD
Mini-Z MA-010 AWD
Pro-Z AWD
Mini-Z F1
Mini-Z NASCAR (coming soon)
Other (see below)

Then there are the major other specs:
FET rules
Motor (box-stock, aftermarket "stock", mod motors)
Batteries (AAA Nimh, LiPos, etc)
Body Type (e.g. standard autoscale plastic, lexan, etc)
Weight rule?
Size constraints?

Other Chassis:
Mini-Z Overland
Mini-Z Monster
Mini-T
Larger Scale as well? (1/18th? - throw your thoughts out here on other scales and chassis).

We will definitely keep running the HFAY OLPS (http://hfay.tinyrc.com/) races which are for stock MR-02, MA-010, XMod, MR-015, MR-01 races with smaller tracks over a 6 month period.

I also think we need to do bigger track races (e.g. like PN Racing Regional or National type tracks and rules).

Then I suggest we do Mini-Z NASCAR races (when they come out) as I think this will appeal to a lot of new people.

Post your thoughts.

-hobbycar

crazybenz
2007.01.07, 11:12 AM
I would like to get one of the NASCAR set's. I think if people saw them, they would be really into it. I think that could be a great draw for new racers.

Spoon
2007.01.07, 12:25 PM
For the last half of 2006 The DCGTG ran a "Mega Series" with 4 classes. I think it turned out to be too much.

The original classes were.
Open - Anything goes
F1 - No real restrictions here
Spec - Specified motor and body. Any chassis any FETs.
Overland - No real rules here. We had a bunch of obstacles setup.

We ran on 2 or 3 wide L's so hotter motors and FETs weren't really an advantage. I would suggest sticking with 2-3 classes. We are now down to F1 and body spec.

Since we already have strict spec racing with HFAY our spec class only limits the driver to a particular body or class of body.

I would suggest
F1: Any Motor 3004 or 3010 FETs
Some sort of Spec class: Maybe motor spec or body spec no particular chassis required.
Open: Anything goes

crazybenz
2007.01.08, 12:52 PM
I like the idea of doing a bigger track, like the PN regionals. If space is at our disposal we definatly should take advantage of that. And with a bigger track we could open up to mod motors, fet upgrades... etc Bigger track makes the cars look so slow! :D

hobbycar
2007.01.09, 08:11 AM
Here's my suggested classes:

HFAY OLPS
Stock Mini-Zs, XMods, Iwavers (No FET Upgrade, Stock Motor) (Smaller RCP Tracks) (6 month point series)

Open Mod 1/28 car
Any car ~1/28th scale - Mini-Zs, XMods, Iwavers, Pro-Zs (Any FET upgrade, any motor) (Large RCP Track)

Mini-Z F1 Stock
Kyosho Mini-Z F1 (No FET Upgrade) (Stock FET type motors like Kyosho X-Speed, PN Speedy, Atomic Standard, Atomic Stock) (Large RCP Track)

If there is enough interest (and we can organize and run it) other possible classes:

Mini-Z NASCAR - To Be Determined once they are released
Micro-T
1/18th scale car
1/18th scale truck
Epoch 1/43
Mini-Z Monster Truck and/or Overland

-hobbycar

hobbycar
2007.01.10, 06:51 PM
Again post your thoughts so we can get a feel for who wants to run what.

Especially post if you want to run something other than the "Main 3" (HFAY 1/28th Stock, Open Mod 1/28, F1 Stock).

-hobbycar

onrailz
2007.01.10, 10:57 PM
Again post your thoughts so we can get a feel for who wants to run what.

Especially post if you want to run something other than the "Main 3" (HFAY 1/28th Stock, Open Mod 1/28, F1 Stock).

-hobbycar

I like the Open Mod class. I'd like to see this class get as few rules as possible- especially no weight. The winning car should represent the fastest way a 1/28 can get around the track. Whatever that ends up looking like would really be interesting!

will3kgt
2007.01.11, 04:17 AM
I'd like to see an F1 class.

svt-racer
2007.01.11, 08:00 AM
Eventhough I am starting in this group, I can see those three classes being the ideal.

1) 1/28th Stock for the HFAY competition (Stock motor and FET's) but must agree on what else be restricted in the class.

2) Formula 1 - Stock motor and FET's, No minimum weight, any other hop-ups available ok to use

3) Completely open Mod 1/28th class.

Questions:
What type of batteries are allowed in each class: Dry cells (Alkaline), NiMH, Ni-Cd, Li-Po, etc. (Volt restriction???)
What bodies do you consider for the stock class specially with different chassis available in the class? Any chassis restriction RWD vs AWD? Any FET mods restriction? etc.

We can talk about this things on Friday and get a better feel for what the group may want to do.

hobbycar
2007.01.11, 10:46 AM
Eventhough I am starting in this group, I can see those three classes being the ideal.

1) 1/28th Stock for the HFAY competition (Stock motor and FET's) but must agree on what else be restricted in the class.

2) Formula 1 - Stock motor and FET's, No minimum weight, any other hop-ups available ok to use

Questions:
What type of batteries are allowed in each class: Dry cells (Alkaline), NiMH, Ni-Cd, Li-Po, etc. (Volt restriction???)
What bodies do you consider for the stock class specially with different chassis available in the class? Any chassis restriction RWD vs AWD? Any FET mods restriction? etc.

We can talk about this things on Friday and get a better feel for what the group may want to do.

For the Stock HFAY OLPS racing we do look at the "Online Series Manual" at
http://hfay.tinyrc.com/PointSeries/Season3/tabid/106/Default.aspx

The other classes we can talk about on Friday.

-hobbycar

onrailz
2007.01.11, 11:49 AM

Questions:

I love how involved you are already SVT!!! I feel like you've been racing with us forever! Can't wait to race z's with ya on Fri, you're going to have SO much fun!!!

Spoon
2007.01.11, 12:33 PM

It's totally up to you guys but I think it's nice to have a little bit of flexiblity with a "super-stock" class. Maybe stock fets with any motor you want. I In DC it kind of gives us a chance to see what other people are using and how it wors out for them. Our F1 class sort of runs this way. No motor limit and I think one guy might have 4562's. I guess it depends on the track layouts that you guys are running.

...just my 2 cents.

arch2b
2007.01.11, 01:20 PM
it's nice to get club members active on tehforum. it certainly helps get discussions moving and draws attention to the club.

you guys have one of the more active club forums :)

hobbycar
2007.01.11, 02:33 PM
We'll have to see how far "Open Mod" gets pushed to see if we need a separate "super stock" class. Unless we get more people to organize and run races I think 3 or 4 different classes is the most I can handle. But it's a good suggestion Spoon (BTW, I emailed your blog on Battery Care (http://128racing.blogspot.com/2007/01/battery-care.html) to a co-worker - he's thinking of doing an full size electric car project and your blog had some good info).

It is really nice to have so many active forum members from our group. It makes things easier in organizing stuff for our GTGs plus it does draw attention to our group.

-hobbycar

Spoon
2007.01.11, 02:44 PM
(BTW, I emailed your blog on Battery Care (http://128racing.blogspot.com/2007/01/battery-care.html) to a co-worker - he's thinking of doing an full size electric car project and your blog had some good info).

-hobbycar

SWEET! I am glad it's being used. I do it mostly for fun but when someone else finds the info useful I get pretty stoked.

Also, it is rough to manage more than a few race classes. It makes for really long days and I don't think most people can manage to keep 2-3 cars tuned and race ready. There just isn't enough time.

briankstan
2007.01.11, 03:11 PM
SWEET! also, it is rough to manage more than a few race classes. It makes for really long days and I don't think most people can manage to keep 2-3 cars tuned and race ready. There just isn't enough time.

Here is what we run at every race we have....

Racers (2wd & AWD combined) 8 & 12 Minute mains. HFAY rules, but when run either x-speed, speedy05 or atomic standard for larger tracks.
F1 8 & 12 minute mains, x-speed, speedy05 or atomic standard
Overland 8 minute main, stock motor.
1/24 scale Monster / Mini-z Monster Everyone races everyone 3 races on monster course. 1 point per win. anything goes.

it keeps us busy for 5 or 6 hours. :D We only run 1 set of qualifiers for racers, everything else we just line them up an go.

Note: we do have practice before and after each race so everyone can practice what ever they want.

svt-racer
2007.01.11, 05:17 PM
Very nice guys. I will be purchasing sometime very soon the Mini Z F1...of course Ferrari Red #1 Schumi for me ...thank you very much!

I will try using my XMOD when I get it back from Chicago. I fear I may have to drop the lipos so I can be in the same category for running the stock HFAY class. I may experiment switching between AWD and RWD on the vehicle since I have the kit installed on it. Got some extra parts used for tunning as well and try out. I like the Mini Z chassis construction better so I am looking into getting the the Ferrari 360 GTC or the 575 GTC vehicle. It looks awesome.

I will be bringing my neighbor too this Friday. He has an XMOD too and he wants to give it a try. He strength is in designing and flying airplanes, but he enjoys driving the small cars too. So I invited him to come are race with us tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to ask you guys...what is the cost/fees per vehicle/class? Thanks in advance.

hobbycar
2007.01.11, 07:58 PM
Very nice guys. I will be purchasing sometime very soon the Mini Z F1...of course Ferrari Red #1 Schumi for me ...thank you very much!

I will try using my XMOD when I get it back from Chicago. I fear I may have to drop the lipos so I can be in the same category for running the stock HFAY class. I may experiment switching between AWD and RWD on the vehicle since I have the kit installed on it. Got some extra parts used for tunning as well and try out. I like the Mini Z chassis construction better so I am looking into getting the the Ferrari 360 GTC or the 575 GTC vehicle. It looks awesome.

I will be bringing my neighbor too this Friday. He has an XMOD too and he wants to give it a try. He strength is in designing and flying airplanes, but he enjoys driving the small cars too. So I invited him to come are race with us tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to ask you guys...what is the cost/fees per vehicle/class? Thanks in advance.

That'd be cool if you brought your neighbor.

We have been doing $5 for a whole night of practice and racing (typically we go from 7pm to 1am if not later). We will eventually change this as this location is much bigger and he will have to pay for the additional space with race fees.

Everyone please post here approximately what time you are coming. David, Will, and I should be there right at 7pm (if not a little sooner).

-hobbycar

hobbycar
2007.01.11, 09:41 PM
Actually we are starting tomorrow $10 for a full night of practice and racing. Sorry about the mix up.

-hobbycar

will3kgt
2007.01.12, 05:28 AM
I'll be there around 6pm or so

Mazda787b
2007.01.29, 02:53 AM
May be too late to chime in, but I was doing some thinking and here's what I thought:

HFAY

-Same as before...

F1

-Think HFAY in F1 terms.
-Stock or "Racing Stock" Motors (Xspeed, Atomic BB Stock, etc.)
-Stock? FETs

Open

-7.4v limit (allow for 2 Li-ion or Li-po)
-Must be 1/24-1/28th scale

NASCAR a.k.a Heavy Metal Class

-Stock or "Racing Stock" motors
-Minor Upgrades allowed (bearings, tires, etc.)
-Try to keep cost-controlled for new racers

I really think with more body choices the NASCAR class could be fun. If the bodys are pretty durable it will be something for people new to the hobby, or those who can't drive (IE me) an easy platform to start off with. Try to limit what modifications you can and cannot do, and keep it a fun class. As the person moves up, they can convert their 015 to an 02, or buy another car and start doing HFAY.

Any thoughts?

cvt01
2007.07.10, 10:08 AM
hi guys,

I would like to get into this miniZ madness with you guys and I'm going to buy a car. Which class is the most popular in the dojo? I would prefer the HFAY Stock to start with but if nobody else runs it then it would not be fun...

So I guess I'm looking at a stock mr-02 chassis, bearings, atomic rear diff. Is there anything else abssolutely a must for start? Is there a most preferred race body out there (like the mazda6 on my touring car) or every one of them is the same. What is the most preferred NiMH batteries and charger. Could you give me some general hints so I could avoid big mistakes...

I don't want to buy the stock transmitter. It is not clear for me if I can use the adband system in stock, if not then should I buy the AM module for my Helios? Is there somebody in your group who sells the parts and/or the complete thing close to the online prices?

thanks

Peter S

CDR racing
2007.07.10, 12:55 PM
One Suggestion for you guys. We run and MR-015 Spec class at Action RC in new york and this is an awesome class. Rules are Kyosho box stock motor, no board modifications, and any performance parts are legal. It is a true drivers class, and it is basically like a restrictor plate race for you nascar fans. it brings all skill levels together and gives everyone a shot at the race. Check out the website or contact Al if you want more info on it. www.actionrcspeedway.com

mini-z
2007.07.10, 01:51 PM
I like it CDR, I've been pushing for something along these lines for some time now, perhaps also incorporating some kind of body restrictions to keep everyone narrow or HM etc. :) :cool:

mini-z
2007.07.10, 01:59 PM
hi guys,

I would like to get into this miniZ madness with you guys and I'm going to buy a car. Which class is the most popular in the dojo? I would prefer the HFAY Stock to start with but if nobody else runs it then it would not be fun...

So I guess I'm looking at a stock mr-02 chassis, bearings, atomic rear diff. Is there anything else abssolutely a must for start? Is there a most preferred race body out there (like the mazda6 on my touring car) or every one of them is the same. What is the most preferred NiMH batteries and charger. Could you give me some general hints so I could avoid big mistakes...

I don't want to buy the stock transmitter. It is not clear for me if I can use the adband system in stock, if not then should I buy the AM module for my Helios? Is there somebody in your group who sells the parts and/or the complete thing close to the online prices?

thanks

Peter S

Peter, I'm glad you posted - we're primarily running HFAY Stock at present, check out this thread for info on our next race:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25638

I'll let others chime in on favorite setups etc., but wanted to make sure you realized your proximity to the original, biggest and best Mini-Z shop:

http://shop.tinyrc.com

This is where you'll be racing, and our prices are the same online and off; you can order now and pick up on Friday, or if there are some items you're not sure about you can wait on those and check them out in person/try what everyone else is running etc. before shopping on site! :)

Things to order now for sure:

Season 4 Motor:
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18693

RC Chassis Set (2WD or 4WD - both permitted in this class):
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18375
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17357

Helios Module:
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18790

Start looking at Bodies, but this can be confusing to new racers due to all of the different offsets, WB lengths, etc.:
http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php?cat=379

That'll get you started, you'll want to pick some tires, bearings, and basic handling upgrades, but you can talk to everyone at the race as to what they're running etc. vs. trying to guess up front. See you on Friday! :)

Qball
2007.07.10, 04:12 PM
we might be there around 10 minutes to 7 if we decide to come. :rolleyes:

cvt01
2007.07.11, 09:22 AM
Thanks mini-z i felt dumb when like after five minutes I posted I've found the shop :D

I ordered the chassis, the module and the motor. I will pick them up in the dojo this friday. I may need some charger and batteries but I would like to see what everybody is running first. Also I will need bearings I guess. I can't find the atomic ball diff (ver II) in the shop. I may want to pick up one of those as well...

See you guys on Friday

Peter