PDA

View Full Version : ordered a Firelap 2.0

hrdrvr
2007.01.10, 11:55 AM
so after seeing them mentioned in some threads around here, and wanting to get a 98mm chasis (but not wanting to sped $130 on a MR02) i bit the bullet and bought one.

its coming from over seas so wont be here until next week (or the next), but i have all intentions of posting a review if any one is interested.

shipping was a bit high coming from overseas, but i still got out for $90 with an extra body and some extra crystal sets. thats a considerable amount cheaper than a mini Z, so i expect quality to be a subsatantial amount worse also. if its better than an xmod, ill be happy :D id like to cycle them out of my collection, but still want to be able to run a bunch of different set ups (which takes a bunch of cars :)).

let me know if there is anything specific i can look for, or anything in particular you are interested in seeing compared directly. i currently have a 94mm RM, but have access to MMs for side by side pics, if any one is interested in that.

we have a decent carpet track, so ill be doing extensive track testing and comparisons. most of the guys that run around here run stock, so ill have a few different controls to judge against (stock 010s, stock MMs and stock RMs).

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.01.11, 12:42 PM
so after seeing them mentioned in some threads around here, and wanting to get a 98mm chasis (but not wanting to sped $130 on a MR02) i bit the bullet and bought one.

its coming from over seas so wont be here until next week (or the next), but i have all intentions of posting a review if any one is interested.

shipping was a bit high coming from overseas, but i still got out for $90 with an extra body and some extra crystal sets. thats a considerable amount cheaper than a mini Z, so i expect quality to be a subsatantial amount worse also. if its better than an xmod, ill be happy :D id like to cycle them out of my collection, but still want to be able to run a bunch of different set ups (which takes a bunch of cars :)).

let me know if there is anything specific i can look for, or anything in particular you are interested in seeing compared directly. i currently have a 94mm RM, but have access to MMs for side by side pics, if any one is interested in that.

we have a decent carpet track, so ill be doing extensive track testing and comparisons. most of the guys that run around here run stock, so ill have a few different controls to judge against (stock 010s, stock MMs and stock RMs).

I'm very interested in hearing about this...definitely keep us posted!

marc
2007.01.11, 02:16 PM
You could have just gotten a Kyosho MR02 chassis set for about 90 dollars as well. But if you don't have a transmitter, I guess the Iwaver's way to go.

hrdrvr
2007.01.14, 05:37 PM
i have a tx, but not nearly as nice as the one that comes with this RTR. ive only got the stock kopropo remote. i also got two bodies and two extra sets of crystals (to have matching crystals for all of my cars and not have to switch out). i was really interested in the quality of the bodies, and ive been wanting an enzo, and an F1 for quite some time. itll be worth the $90 just to see a good quality comparison with my own eyes.

ill be sure to post lots of pics and the best info i can when it comes in. i cant remember the exact day i placed the order, but by their shipping estimates i should get it late next week, or the following monday.

machine
2007.01.15, 01:04 PM
The Firelap bodies are awsome. depending on what wheels your running you may have to sand a few points, but the are tough as nails! It's all i race with as they dont come off or break.

I'd like to see what your new kits is like as well!

hrdrvr
2007.01.16, 08:52 AM
sanding a few spots isnt a big deal. im getting anxious. the shipping said 7-14 days. the 24th is the definate deliver by date (14th day), so maybe ill get it this week :D

TinRacers
2007.01.17, 12:39 PM
OK! I've been looking forward to this for over a year now. First thing I would like to say is that it was worth the wait. We received the new Iwaver 02M today - Our first sample shipment as Iwaver distributors in South Africa. From the word go I could tell that this was going to be a great RTR set. Lots of 1/28 groundbreaking stuff! The FM radio with 3-model memory is simple and quick to set-up... and the RC board on the car is dead stable. The eccelleration, stearing and braking is as smooth as silk. The car's stearing centres dead-on out of every corner.... and runs in a line as traight as an arrow. Exponential stearing/throttle - right on the button with three pre-programmed settings. Digital trimming - as accurate as can be. ABS braking - quick to enable/disable during a race with a single-button thum-click. The car itself is just way ahead of the pack - and yes, I mean all of the 1/28 brands out there. I've been racing 1/28 for three years now and the 02M is going to take the track and the market by storm. It has all the features you need to get set-up for taking the lead - flat chassis plate - seperate steering servo with normal 3-pin socket - plug-and-play motor change - great new steering ti-rod design and a rear suspension system you will find on 1/10 and 1/8 scale. The great thing about this new design is that you could easely rip out the battery housing and pc board... and replace with LiPo batteries, micro reciever and speed control after installing the graphite chassis plate and tray. All the aluminum upgrade parts are also available - total new front/rear end upgrades on that graphite chassis! Possibly the greatest news is the price tag - should be around USD109.00 for the RTR. The standard servo is a little slow, but could easily be replaced with what-you-have or need. All in all this car will rule 1/28 racing very soon!

marc
2007.01.17, 01:10 PM
Sweet, how do the bodies look and can you get for me the Mini Cooper S? I can send you payment via PayPal real soon.
I have the MR015HM Mini-Z with Kyosho's red Mini Cooper, but I really want to get Iwaver's white Mini Cooper S.
How's the detail on the bodies compared to their original ones?

marc
2007.01.17, 01:19 PM
OK! I've been looking forward to this for over a year now. First thing I would like to say is that it was worth the wait. We received the new Iwaver 02M today - Our first sample shipment as Iwaver distributors in South Africa. From the word go I could tell that this was going to be a great RTR set. Lots of 1/28 groundbreaking stuff! The FM radio with 3-model memory is simple and quick to set-up... and the RC board on the car is dead stable. The eccelleration, stearing and braking is as smooth as silk. The car's stearing centres dead-on out of every corner.... and runs in a line as traight as an arrow. Exponential stearing/throttle - right on the button with three pre-programmed settings. Digital trimming - as accurate as can be. ABS braking - quick to enable/disable during a race with a single-button thum-click. The car itself is just way ahead of the pack - and yes, I mean all of the 1/28 brands out there. I've been racing 1/28 for three years now and the 02M is going to take the track and the market by storm. It has all the features you need to get set-up for taking the lead - flat chassis plate - seperate steering servo with normal 3-pin socket - plug-and-play motor change - great new steering ti-rod design and a rear suspension system you will find on 1/10 and 1/8 scale. The great thing about this new design is that you could easely rip out the battery housing and pc board... and replace with LiPo batteries, micro reciever and speed control after installing the graphite chassis plate and tray. All the aluminum upgrade parts are also available - total new front/rear end upgrades on that graphite chassis! Possibly the greatest news is the price tag - should be around USD109.00 for the RTR. The standard servo is a little slow, but could easily be replaced with what-you-have or need. All in all this car will rule 1/28 racing very soon!

I should be able to PayPal at least 150-160 dollars for a white Mini Cooper S ready set and all option parts available. If it costs more than that to get one with all blue aluminum, front and rear suspension parts, and all carbon fiber parts, please let me know total cost. I'd love to get one ASAP. If you can order those items for me, that would be great!

hrdrvr
2007.01.17, 02:56 PM
TinRacers,
thanks for the info, but the thread is supposed to be my review of a firelap 2.0, not an announcement that you have Iwaivers. i think there would be interested parties in the information you posted, but here is not the place. a thread of your own would get good attention im sure.

marc,
sounds like you may be getting ready to get yourself set up. thats all good, but again not the purpose of this thread. please if you guys have any more business to conduct, do it in your own thread or via email.

thanks guys

ACTUAL THREAD UPDATE

i had a few things coming in this week (some xmods wheels, a custom motor, etc...) i wanted all of it sent to my office. low and behold yesterday when i got home from work there was a note saying i had a package at the PO. i assumed one of the other guys got my home address off of the paypal and sent them there instead. i thought no biggie[, ill go get them tommorrow. well i go to pick up my xmod wheels today at lunch, and there was my package from ....... the store i bought it from (almost let that slip :D).

ive opened it up. ive got pics of the packaging (from store and FL) and all the components. at first glance im happy with the purchase, and i cant believe it got here in 6 days!! passing over a weekend too!!!!

ive got the controller set up and at 4:00 (9 minutes) we uncover the track and race. itll get the full overview today. hopefully i can get the pics downsized and uploaded tonight. if i do ill have tons of pics to flood the thread with tommorrow :D

anything specific anyone can think of me checking out, LMK. if youve been wondering about these things, now is your time to get your Qs answered!

BTW, i plugged a matching crystal into the Tx, and it runs my miniZ flawlessly!

more info to come......

machine
2007.01.17, 03:30 PM
Awesome to finally get something you've been waiting for!

Too bad about the thread jackers, seems to me that that post should be cleanzed as it sounds like some one selling something.....

marc
2007.01.17, 05:53 PM
Sorry, I kind of thought Iwaver and Firelap were the same. My apologies. I was simply replying to the Iwaver post. Is the Firelap any good for cheap chassis?

arch2b
2007.01.17, 06:25 PM
i ask that threads stick to topic but it's an uphill battle at times :rolleyes:

hrdrvr
2007.01.17, 10:06 PM
machine,
i love getting stuff im waiting for. i cant believe they all came yesterday. i wish i could have been home to grab this one though. id like to be 24 hours ahead of what i am now :) as far as the jacking, its all good. theyve got to get their plugs somewhere ;)

marc,
no harm no foul. i just didnt want the thread to get too carried away. im under the impression Firelap is a subsidary or division of Iwaiver. im not 100% sure though. i know there are differences between the earlier Iwaivers and Firelaps though. im pretty sure there is still a difference. they get sold with different Txs, i believe, and command different pricing. the guy up there is advertising $109 for an IW02. i got mine for $90 with an extra body, extra crystals, and shipped from the other side of the world.

for now ill go ahead and say that its worth the money. tommorrow i will post up my complete thoughts. i need a little more time to get the pics and post together.

arch,
its a common thing among all forums :D i tend to ignore it in others threads. getting in a debate about what is 'topic' is just another way to jack, IMO. ignoring is the way most of the time. not to stray any further, but just to let you know, i think this is one of the better moderatd forums i visit. i enjoy browsing here more than other places for that reason. the OT and bashing is at a minumum compared here. its much easier on the eyes to not have to sift through that stuff for decent info.

so after giving flack about jacking, then posting an OT rant, im going to go to bed :D

arch2b
2007.01.17, 11:00 PM
no, problem and thank you. it's always nice to hear one is doing a good job :)

i do look forward to long term reliability reports so keep the info coming ;)

Jonny
2007.01.18, 02:35 AM
the guy up there is advertising $109 for an IW02. i got mine for $90 with an extra body, extra crystals, and shipped from the other side of the world.

hrdrvr,

Regarding the post that 'tinracers' made, I believe he was just providing info on the latest Iwaver chassis. If you have a 'Firelap 2.0' or indeed even a 'Nanoracer 2.0', it is completely different to the 02M that he mentions in his post.

Jonny

hrdrvr
2007.01.18, 02:02 PM
^ the satement you quote was my way of saying im almost 100% sure they are different. if you read the few sentances leading up to that point, you can tell that was my intention.

i know there are differences between the earlier Iwaivers and Firelaps though. im pretty sure there is still a difference. they get sold with different Txs, i believe, and command different pricing. the guy up there is advertising $109 for an IW02. i got mine for $90 with an extra body, extra crystals, and shipped from the other side of the world.

it would be pretty obvious that a $50 car and a $109 car would have to be different. either that or some one is trying to rip some one off, but i would never imply that publicly (nor do i believe thats whats happening here).

either way this thead is supposed to be about the Firelap, and my takes on the quality of it. the release of the new IW02 has nothing to with this, and now im helping stray the thread away from its original purpose.

and FWIW my box says firelap, and nanoracer on it. it doesnt say Iwaiver anywhere so i have no confirmation for myself that they are the same or affiliated. this is the only product in the 1/28 scale that i have had my hands on besides a few models of MiniZ and each version of xmods.

my initial review is soon to follow! a little more editing (i allready posted it on another board, and i dont want to be out of line here ;))

hrdrvr
2007.01.18, 02:25 PM
i picked this up from the PO yesterday. it arrived actually on the 16th, which was only 6 days after placing the order. i wont say anything other than im impressed with the speedy delivery by the company i ordered from (6days isnt bad from Japan to the SE of the USA).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170002_PB.jpg

got the hong kong newspaper :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170004_PB.jpg

the goods :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170007_PB.jpg

the first thing i did was check out the enzo. i had high hopes for killer quality and toughness, but wasnt looking for much detail. this was based on what i had read and heard around the forums. calling the body well built or tough, is an understatement. the thing is tough as nails. i dont think i can break it, and my group of friends is hard on cars. the lenses, windows, bumpers and everything are all one piece. its all molded together, with like a clear plastic layer on the inside holding it all together. i dont even know how to explain it, but heres a good pic to see what im talking about. ive read recently that its all one piece, then the outer layer is just painted. but, when i look close the inside layer, and the actual car still looks like seperate pieces. im no plastic expert, so i dont know how they really pulled this off. if i could take some more specific pics for some one to clarify, please LMK what to get pics of.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170010_PB.jpg
pretty wild huh?

the detail was definatly not too shabby. i thought this would be a platform for my own paint job right off the rip. one, im not painting this thing simply because i cant remove anything. two, i dont need to paint it. the detail is just fine the way it is. i like it. its nice and wide too!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170013_PB.jpg

the mirrors however, seemed to be in a bit pf a precarious position. im sure they wont last long :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170050_PB.jpg

its not an autoscale, for sure. it seems more along the lines of an xmod body, but without the misaligned parts, screws, and paint mess-ups. it also has some vents behind the doors for ventilation that are actually open and let air in. i thought that was pretty cool.

so after checking out the enzo i dug into the main box. the F1 was right on top. it was much like the enzo, but a lot more slender. the body looks like a race car, straight up (i guess because it is ;)). its built the same way. its just as strong (almost hard to get onto the body its so rigid) as the enzo. the detail is there too, IMO. it also has a roof scoop, that isactually open also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170016_PB.jpg

i cant get over this interior layer. it doesnt seem to add much weight either. id like to put it on the scale though.....maybe tommorrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170018_PB.jpg

this ones mirrors werent as far out there as the enzo, plus theyve got some special skills :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170046_PB.jpg

the real goods came out of the box next. the two reasons to actually place the order.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170020_PB.jpg

first the chasis.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170023_PB.jpg

its pretty sweet. its an MR02 clone for sure. i dont have any pics of it beside an MM (which is how its set up now). but here is a shot of it next to my RM. it came with all the parts to run it either way, MM or RM.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170034_PB.jpg

i dont want this post to have too many pics (hah!), but the chasis is pretty important, so heres links to a few more.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170032_PB.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170025_PB.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170024_PB.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170023_PB.jpg

the remote was the last thing i checked out. it looks pretty sweet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170052_PB.jpg

its got a nice soft handle, and the buttons are pretty easy to get around.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170053_PB.jpg

the LED is ridiculous though. ive heard some comments about how bright it is, and that is pointed in a bad position. thats another understatement, the light is as bright as an LED flashlight i have, and its 1/2" away from the viewing screen. im pretty sure there have been some burnt retinas from these lights. i immediatly put a piece of electric tape over it (it still shines through). the LED backlit screen is nice though. its very comforting to the eyes and the digits are big, and nice and easy to see.

the thing that impressed me the most at first glance was the range of motion for the trigger. i could tell immediatly that it was far greater than that of the stock miniZ remote. i made a little comparison to see exactly how much difference there is.

this illustration shows the difference. i placed the left edge of the cardboard at the end of the trigger in the neutral position. i then pulled the trigger all the way down (full acceleration) and marked the piece of cardboard. of course i did this with both Txs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170061_PB.jpg

as you can see the FireLap remote has more than 50% more range of motion than the standard KoPropo remote. this should help a ton with throttle feathering, especially once teamed with the exponential feature. the EXP feature is sometimes refered to as 'curve'. it lets you adjust the rate at which the throttle or steering increases/decreases as you press the trigger/turn the wheel. it goes from 0-100% on each command giving very controlable results. ill get into this more over the next few days and post my thoughts on this remote. it has a memory to hold settings for up to 10 cars. hopefully this will be my only remote once i get it set up.

i want to post the last good thing i found today....the manual. this actually comes with some instruction. this will be a big help for beginners IMO. its like a high gloss colorful magazine, and has pretty decent instruction. i didnt get into it too heavy, just looked at a glance, and saw what the controls were on the remote, but it is far beyond what came with my miniZ.

here is a shot to get an idea.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170072_PB.jpg

this looks like it was a good investment for me. ive allready had some issues that were easy to adress. ive got another that may not be as easy. i may need hepl wiht it, but its coming later. the initial problems i spotted will be in PART 2. i also plan on doing some heavy racing against miniZs through next week and the weekend. ill post my findings about performance as i find more out. ive got a few concerns allready, but am not dissappointed. ill leave you that tid bit to ponder on until i get the actual problems and their fixes (unless i need help wiht the fixes :)) posted up.

stay tuned for the rest of my review!!

arch2b
2007.01.18, 02:53 PM
great info adn review!

i look forward to the continuation of your evaluation :)

machine
2007.01.18, 03:13 PM
Yea the Firelap/Iwaver bodies are pressure molded from a single sheet of smoked polycarbonate, than a quick silk screen of paint. They are by far the strongest bodies i've every used. I'm running the F1 on my AWD and the Enzo on my 02. Both have been raced at least a year.

The remote looks to be a step up thats for sure. How does the chassis feel? Stiff or brittle?

Also would it be too much trouble to remove the top cover and take a picture of the PCB?

hrdrvr
2007.01.18, 03:16 PM
okay, so before you guys go running out and buying these things up like hotcakes, id like to point out the most obvious problems i saw.

the first thing i saw when looking at the enzo was the hole for the antennae. it was in the center. i thought, cool, until i opened the box and found the F1 was offset like in my miniZs and xmods.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170078_PB.jpg

im not sure if ill have to make a new hole, or if ill be able to run the antennae over there. i saw a pics of one of color0's chasis once, and his antennae was folded around, and kept inside the body. that may be a route i try also. its an easy fix, but maybe something to be concerned with for future body purchases.

the next thing i did was try and place the enzo on the chasis. this was so i could see if the antennae would stretch its way over there wihtout to much trouble. problem is, the enzo side mounts are too small, and i cant mount the body on there :( ill probaly shim them out with some stock styrene, but overall, they are probably about 3mm short (1.5 each side i assume). they wouldnt fit on my MA010 either.

when i removed the chasis from the box i noticed these tiny little motor wires, and i mean tiny. they look like what has come on some of the $10-15 toy cars from WalMart and TrUs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170029_PB-1.jpg

this pic isnt a great representation, but if you look at the diameter of the motor shaft in comparision, you can tell they are thin.

also, in the background of that pic, you can see the damper is hitting the red motor wire. the way it was shrink wrapped was causing it to hang up the damper, and rear end movement was almost nil. i folded it down, but its pretty stiff wire (and very close to the damper), and needs to be loosened and redirected. you can see here, how its catching on it. if i change them out for 18 awg wire itll be easy to rememdy this too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170027_PB.jpg

upon further inspection of the chasis i found something quite disturbing. the bottom of the rear end is not flush with the rest of the chasis. it goes straight back, until the rear end attaches, the its angled down. the range of motion of the suspension doesnt let it go above flush. ive never noticed if my dads MM is like this, but my RM is definatly not!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170037_PB.jpg

you can clearly see that it angles down just behind the battery holders. this is creating a nasty mess above with the body on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170038_PB.jpg

some xmodish wheel gap there, but what do i do? im thinking of trying my dads rear end on there, and see if thatll fix it. i may try the RM set up just to see, as he is out of town and wont be back for like another week.

if i press it down it gets to acceptable height, but there is no more room for travel after this point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170041_PB.jpg

i thought an easy fix would be to lower the body, but if i decided to run it on any other chasis, ill have suspension clearence issues.

the last thing on the chasis i noticed, may not be anything at all. ive never run an MR02 with 0 offsets, but on my MA010 the wheel nuts are pretty flush even with 0 offset wheels. on these front wheels the lug nut protrudes a good bit past the edge of the wheel. its unsightly and i think may cause some hang up issues for lesser drivers. i dont ride the wall to often, so it shoudlnt effect me too much, unless i get hung up with another car.

you can plainly see here the problem im noticing. is this typical of 0 offset wheels on any model of miniZ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170043_PB.jpg

the last thing i noticed was in the instruction manual. there could be more info like this in there, so maybe i shouldnt be so quick to give good credit there. i was just really impressed to get anything at all, after getting xmods and miniZs :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170069_PB.jpg

either this chart is wrong, or my car has some problems :D im in the first location at position "short", but my car definatly has a 98mm wheel base (expressed by 'X' in the chart). i believe the lengths are 98, 102, and 106mm, like an MR02 MM.

on a side note about that, i see some pretty nice model conversions coming for this car. i have two settings longer than the stock long xmod, and ive got 2 or 3 cars allready, that just barely wont fit :D.

hrdrvr
2007.01.18, 03:22 PM
thanks arch! more to come over the next few days ;)

Yea the Firelap/Iwaver bodies are pressure molded from a single sheet of smoked polycarbonate, than a quick silk screen of paint. They are by far the strongest bodies i've every used. I'm running the F1 on my AWD and the Enzo on my 02. Both have been raced at least a year.

The remote looks to be a step up thats for sure. How does the chassis feel? Stiff or brittle?

Also would it be too much trouble to remove the top cover and take a picture of the PCB?

thanks for the info on the body construction. i have to agree. these are the strongest/toughest bodies ive ever seen on any scale RC.

the chasis feels plenty strong. the pieces arent as precise as a MiniZ though. there is a bit of wheel slop, and the front suspension travel isnt all that smooth. still leaps and bounds over xmod, but not kyosho.

ill get you a pics of the PCB tonight if i get time (wife has some plans for the eve), but definatly in the next day or two.

machine
2007.01.18, 05:28 PM
A quick fix for the front suspension is to remove the pins and give them a good polish. And front wheel bearings will remove all the slop in the wheels. The wheel plastic nuts are alittle bigger than the Kyosho ones, but you can expect that with 0 off set wheels to some extent.

The wires are the first things i change on my firelaps and kyoshos, everyone either puts too much wire on or cheap wire.

Too bad about the enzo body mounts, i just checked all the ones i have and they fit fine. Could be a different production run or something. That instruction book looks really good for something out of china, hows the speeling? LOL

Fovea3d
2007.01.18, 05:34 PM
Nice review! I also noticed the wheel gap on new F1 bodies. I bought dark silver F1 Firelap bodies in the past that had not this body height issue but just recently it seems there is a new batch of bodies with different side clips with the peg at the bottom instead of middle (the yellow Saleen on picture has the right clips). I raised the position of the mounting clips by 4mm on the F1 and now it sits on the chassis just like the older one/Kyosho one.
F1 body clips (http://alain.galluser.free.fr/Z/SupportsCarroIW.jpg)
Yes those bodies are strong, they are molded in clear (white) plastic and not only the body but also the windows are painted clear brown :D

machine
2007.01.18, 05:45 PM
you guys all must have a new batch of bodies cause all the ones i've got in stock are from one piece of plastic.

Jonny
2007.01.18, 05:58 PM
^ the satement you quote was my way of saying im almost 100% sure they are different. if you read the few sentances leading up to that point, you can tell that was my intention.

it would be pretty obvious that a $50 car and a $109 car would have to be different. either that or some one is trying to rip some one off, but i would never imply that publicly (nor do i believe thats whats happening here).

either way this thead is supposed to be about the Firelap, and my takes on the quality of it. the release of the new IW02 has nothing to with this, and now im helping stray the thread away from its original purpose.

and FWIW my box says firelap, and nanoracer on it. it doesnt say Iwaiver anywhere so i have no confirmation for myself that they are the same or affiliated. this is the only product in the 1/28 scale that i have had my hands on besides a few models of MiniZ and each version of xmods.

Hey,

I didn't mean any offense - and don't want to misdirect your thread. My post was for information only. The statement which I quoted and which you are now explaining don't correspond. You were talking differences between 'earlier Iwaver's and Firelaps' and being 'pretty sure there is still a difference', 'different Tx's and commanding different pricing', all to me pertaining to the two models you had just mentioned and not towards the new release.

I was merely pointing out that your last statement as I read it was incorrect as you were comparing your lower cost of $90 that you paid with 'extra body, extra crystals and shipping from the other side of the world', with an entirely different product. If that was not your intention, my apologies - this is sometimes what happens in text.

As for Iwaver being the same company, the below version is identical in chassis too (remove spaces in link):

Iwaver 02 (http://cgi.e b a y.co.uk/Iwaver-02-Radio-Control-Car-Brand-New-1-28th-Scale_W0QQitemZ200068717067QQihZ010QQcategoryZ2565 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200 068717067)

As for their other release, I have seen my fair share of Firelap 2.0's and own one - again, they are almost identical in manufacture to yours, with the same plastic quality excepet a change in colour. They even have 'This is Iwaver' stamped under the chassis below where the nose clip screws in. As yours is the latest product, they have just taken this branding out. They even have the identical positioning for the 'made in china' and the 'CE!' printing.

Kingpin smoothness is the same with the Iwaver/Firelap 2.0 aswell as the motor wires, which are useless even in the modified motors.

The new Nanoracer controller differs in the removeable module and backlit screen as main features.

The packaging is also identical to the Firelap 2.0.

I'm interesed to hear how the car performs coming out of a turn and if it has the centering issue that plagues this chassis & steering components and whether it includes the 'servo saver' that really isn't!

Jonny

Fovea3d
2007.01.18, 06:01 PM
you guys all must have a new batch of bodies cause all the ones i've got in stock are from one piece of plastic.
It is! Only it is not smoked but clear polycarbonate. I noticed it while after a few month of racing the paint from body AND windows was beginning to peel of ;)

machine
2007.01.18, 07:09 PM
gotta love a one piece body! I find that it doesn't get loose like my autoscales do after a few hits.

The biggest difference in the nanoracer from the firelap (apart from the remote) i'm hoping is the PCB and steering POT. If they did a good job on those 2 items the car would rock.

Jonny
2007.01.19, 02:31 AM
gotta love a one piece body! I find that it doesn't get loose like my autoscales do after a few hits.

The biggest difference in the nanoracer from the firelap (apart from the remote) i'm hoping is the PCB and steering POT. If they did a good job on those 2 items the car would rock.
Correct, we can only hope that they have finally fixed the issues. And as above if they incorporate a servo saver that works!

Hopefully hrdrvr will get the time to poke about inside soon and get the car on the track to see how it performs.

Jonny

hrdrvr
2007.01.19, 09:31 AM
@ machine,
thanks for the info on the pins and wheels. im going to do my initial track testing with everything like it came. if got a list of simple mods (inlcuding yours) to do after the initial testing to see if i can get it to perform similar to a miniZ wihtout too much cost for the upgades.

the instruction manual is very good. after reading through it last night i have a better feel for it. if there are any more mistakes, they are in specs that i dont know about. the manual is pretty easy to follow, and has good clear short instructions.

also, the speeling is fine, so was the spelling :p

i cant compare myself to other versions, but friday=raceday, so ill have some feedback on handling, speed, etc. i may be able to get it posted tonight. also, i will definatly get some pics up of the innards over the weekend, then you guys can tell me if its better than before :D

@ Fovea3d,
thanks for the info. im going to try a couple different bodies to determine if the wheel gap is created with the chasis or the body. from my pics and yours, it looks like ive got some problems in both areas.

@ Johnny,
no worries my man. thoughts/feelings are always hard to convey in text. im not that good with my mouth, much less with my hands :) youve given me some good insight, and things to look for, and i hope to get more info and pics up real soon.

Jonny
2007.01.19, 12:25 PM
@ Johnny,
no worries my man. thoughts/feelings are always hard to convey in text. im not that good with my mouth, much less with my hands :) youve given me some good insight, and things to look for, and i hope to get more info and pics up real soon.
Ha ha, quite alright, just so you know no bad intentions meant!

I'll be sure to keep checking back to see how you're finding the Nanoracer on the track.

Jonny.

TinRacers
2007.01.21, 05:47 AM
TinRacers,
thanks for the info, but the thread is supposed to be my review of a firelap 2.0, not an announcement that you have Iwaivers. i think there would be interested parties in the information you posted, but here is not the place. a thread of your own would get good attention im sure.

marc,
sounds like you may be getting ready to get yourself set up. thats all good, but again not the purpose of this thread. please if you guys have any more business to conduct, do it in your own thread or via email.

thanks guys

ACTUAL THREAD UPDATE

i had a few things coming in this week (some xmods wheels, a custom motor, etc...) i wanted all of it sent to my office. low and behold yesterday when i got home from work there was a note saying i had a package at the PO. i assumed one of the other guys got my home address off of the paypal and sent them there instead. i thought no biggie[, ill go get them tommorrow. well i go to pick up my xmod wheels today at lunch, and there was my package from ....... the store i bought it from (almost let that slip :D).

ive opened it up. ive got pics of the packaging (from store and FL) and all the components. at first glance im happy with the purchase, and i cant believe it got here in 6 days!! passing over a weekend too!!!!

ive got the controller set up and at 4:00 (9 minutes) we uncover the track and race. itll get the full overview today. hopefully i can get the pics downsized and uploaded tonight. if i do ill have tons of pics to flood the thread with tommorrow :D

anything specific anyone can think of me checking out, LMK. if youve been wondering about these things, now is your time to get your Qs answered!

BTW, i plugged a matching crystal into the Tx, and it runs my miniZ flawlessly!

more info to come......

Machine,

Man I just hate it when this happens! I truely did'nt have any intention of messing with your thread... please accept my appologies.

First of all, it's true that Iwaver, Firelap and Nanoracer is produced by one and the same company. The Firelap 2.0 used to be known as the Iwaver 02 (clone of the Mini-z 02). The Firelap brand was introduced to reserve the Iwaver name for the new car they were developing... the Iwaver 02M. So, in a sence there is a direct link between the Firelap and the new IW02M

Secondly, please note that I have no intention or desire to jack this forum for the purpose of conducting business with anyone. I simply quoted the manufacturer's forcasted retail price for purposes of comparrison. We deal wholesale in South Africa only.

Thirdly, I made the assumption that if you are as enthusiastic about 1/28 scale racing as I personally am, the information would somehow be of interest to you... and there is only so much you can say about the same car re-packaged, re-TXed and re-named.

Sorry again!

hrdrvr
2007.01.21, 08:45 AM
^ no problem,
im not upset about your post, and i definatly think that it is good information that needs to be shared. like i said before, i just didnt want it to get carried away ;) thanks for the clarification of the Firelap/Iwaiver situation also. im glad that information is here.

i had some good track time on friday, and i dismantled the car for some board pics. ill have a new update soon.

hrdrvr
2007.01.21, 09:34 AM
well, my overall experience can be summed up with four letters S L O W !

when i first ran it the day i got it, it was pretty slow. there was a definite problem with the gear mesh. it looks like the motor mount isnt a tight enough fit to hold the motor on the diff. i put a larger gear on to try and compensate, and it was a lot smoother, and showed better speed.

friday at the track however, it was pretty pitiful. i ran about 3 races where i stayed with the other two guys (not many people showed up this week, its cold). one was running an AWD with x-speed, but he was on the walls pretty much the whole time (its only his second time driving with this motor) for the first few races. the other was running a stock AWD. on the third race the guy running stock realized his batteries were dead, and changed them out. the guy with the x-speed now is showing better control, so im running lap times half the speed they were. i was getting pummelled while driving perfectly. it was pretty easy to drive at half speed in no traffic :rolleyes:

on a good note, the car was really responsive. i think it really has potential. the trim has to be set like 40% to one side for it to drive straight though. it didnt need constant adjustment, but there was some pulling, and re-dailing in. i found out later though that this could be the front wheel nut tightening up. after a few wall brushes, and one impact from another car, one of the wheel nuts was tight. even after pointing out that wheel nut sticking out from the wheel, i didnt think it would be a real problem. once loosened properly, i didnt have to adjust trim any more. i didnt race it long after that though, as i was getting tired of getting my butt handed to me. i got out my MR 02 and raced a little :)

i took the motor out when i got home, and was suprised at what i found. the red motor wire simply fell off when i removed the motor. i dont think it was getting a good connection to the motor. my buddy gave me a PN stock FET motor to try, so i did. its a lot faster now. i cant tell for sure in my house how fast, but i think itll be competetive now. i may actually need tires. i am going to have to figure out away to tighten up the fit of the motor mount. i may just add a little solder to the top of the motor can. when i placed my AWD stock motor in there, it ran perfectly with the correct gear and spacers.

also, while i had the car apart i cleaned the suspension a little. i didnt replace anything, just cleaned the plastic a little, and now, i get good movement in the front suspension. once at higher speeds it should show the true performance of the car, and i hope i need good suspension travel/response.

i will add more info as i run this car more.

while working on the car last night, i did a simple cosmetic mod, that may help performance also. this body is relatively heavy, so getting it lower, should help a bit. also, the back of the battery tray is sitting considerably lower now. i just added shims to the front body mount and to the motor mount.

i added a double layer of xmod shaft bushings to raise the motor mount in the rear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1210011_PB.jpg

it gave the rear a much nicer stance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1210003_PB.jpg

but the front was looking kind of funny, so i added a single layer, to even the front and rear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1210015_PB.jpg

now the car sits more like its real counter part.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1210008_PB.jpg

as requested, i have taken some pictures of the insides of the car. i dont know much in this area, so your critiques on how this is set up would be greatly appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1200003_PB.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1200007_PB.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1200023_PB.jpg

some different angles of the same stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1200017_PB.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1200009_PB.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1200012_PB.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1200027_PB.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1200031_PB.jpg

cheers

Jonny
2007.01.21, 10:16 AM
Hi hrdrvr,

Thanks for your report. Glad to hear a fairly positive outcome. A couple of questions:

Did you find a re-centering issue as you came out of a corner whereby you had to correct the car to get it straight? Common problem on the previous car (usually only happens on turning one way but can't remember which)

Did you check the servo saver to see if it is a solid piece or if it actually works as intended on this version?

Great pics of the internals - I can confirm that the electronics are identical to the early Iwaver 02 cars.

Thanks again, Jonny

TinRacers
2007.01.21, 11:34 AM
^ no problem,
im not upset about your post, and i definatly think that it is good information that needs to be shared. like i said before, i just didnt want it to get carried away ;) thanks for the clarification of the Firelap/Iwaiver situation also. im glad that information is here.

i had some good track time on friday, and i dismantled the car for some board pics. ill have a new update soon.

Thanks, I put some pics up on the "New Iwaver 02M" thread. Check it out sometime.

hrdrvr
2007.01.21, 06:05 PM
^ checked it out. looks promising also :D

as for this Firelap, id like to add a few comments.

when i worked on the car, i had a less than desirable experience. most of the screws were so tight i could barely get them losse. i stripped a few of them. exrtas came with the set, so i changed out the ones i really messed up. reminded a little of working on an xmod.

one good thing i noticed though, it came with diffferent tie rods. my miniZ didnt come with those. it also came with the standard gears, motor mounts, a few exra wheel nuts, suspension 'c' clips, and screws.

another good thing ive noticed after using this for while, is the battery set up. you can see from this pic that the opening under the inside batteries is considerably larger than that on a miniZ. you can actually fit the whole battery clip in there and push the battery out with relative ease. its a small thing, but an imporvement, IMO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/Firelap/P1170032_PB.jpg

@ Johnny,
ill check out the recentering tommorrow. i didnt really notice it, but after running xmods (where you have to steer them straight) for so long, i keep my hands controling the wheel all the time.

could you tell me what to check as far as the servo saver? im a total newb when it comes to the internals of these things.

locwan
2007.01.21, 06:40 PM
Great review. I posted a very brief summary on another tread before on the Nanoracer 2.0, and thought it might be easier for everyone to find this info if I repost it here, adding to your detailed review:

A buddy of mine that wants to get a cheap starter car had just orderd one directly from the firelap website, and it arrived today. I just want to give a quick review for those interested.

There are apparently no changes to the design and electronics of this nanoracer from the old firelaps, other than the new name and new plastic colour, and a Tx that can be used w/ futaba modules. The car is also still without brake functions.

I had my hopes up, but I was a bit disappointed, as the build quality is still subpar. But you do get what you pay for, as the price is really cheap, and the radio seems very decent and packed w/ features. This is an okay car for my buddy as his first 1:27 scale r/c car.

I had a chance to try out the car and found it to be drivable around the track, but it was only after I had finished repairing the broken motor wires and replaced the c-clips that mysteriously snapped (both of them!) when I tested the front suspension by pushing down on the car.

Another problem is an antenna hole that is in the wrong spot on the Enzo body, as the hole was direcly in the center of the rear windscreen right above the rear top-shock; there was no way that the antenna would fit there without interfering the shock's movement. So, a new hole had to be drilled in the more conventional upper right corner of the windscreen.

After the above fixes and modification, we ran the car after breaking in the motor, and the car seems fine at first, but later developed a tendency to not recenter properly coming out of corners.

I later had time to take the car apart to get a good look.. and found some more problems...

The plastic bushings that came w/ the car were no good. The center hole was too large and had a lot of slop when placed on the steering knuckls and rear axle. This caused a lot of wheel play and the wheels would not spin freely as the whole wheel wiggled on the shafts. Not a big problem if you immediately replace them w/ bearings, or even stock kyosho bushings.

When working on the car, care must be taken when trying to take the screws off, as they are made with very soft metal and strips very easily.

When the cover of the chassis came off, revealing the servo, I saw that servo gears were a bit slanted and had a lot of play. I also noticed that the "servo saver" was not fasten on properly, as the center shaft of the saver did not notch correctly into both sides of the plastic pieces that held it in place, therefore allowing it to pivot back and forth when trying to steer, making the steering feel like it is sometimes not responding. That was fixed easily by taking the "saver" apart and re-attaching the shaft properly, aligning it back into both sides of those plastic pieces. In case you're wondering why the words "servo saver" are in quotes, that is because it is not a saver at all!!! It is only a plastic piece that resembles a servo saver. It looks like Firelap just copied it for the sake of copying... it had a spring.. looks like a saver, but in fact it was one solid piece of plastic, molded to look like a servo saver!!! Very tricky here.. one can certainly still break a few servo gears if not careful.

After the car had all its pieces put back and tested, a few more laps still revealed steering that would not recenter completely at times.. (although it is very minor) A few more looks inside the servo and tests later, we concluded that it is very likely due to a weak servo motor, and binding servo gears.

Although acceptable as a starter car for someone just learning to drive slowly around the track, I would really not recommend this for racers. However, on a more positive note, the Firelap package came w/ a lot of extra parts for replacing those broken pieces. The package also came w/ an extra RM motor pod and shims (which is curious as FL did not sell a RM model), all the different sizes suspension limiters, extra C-clips, wheel nuts etc. And the best thing I liked about the stock parts are the tires. It seems like it came w/ standard soft wide tires in the back, and slighly harder tires up front, much softer and grippier than standard Kyohso RTR and ASC tires. These tires had good grip and played a big part in making the car drivable on the track, coming out of the box.

Sorry of the long winded review, hope it helps anyone considering it.

hrdrvr
2007.01.21, 07:56 PM
thanks,
your review helped me decide to try one out. im glad you added it to this thread!

Phenochilus
2007.01.21, 08:00 PM
On my firelap 2.0 the servo saver was a single solid piece resembling a servo saver. I have since replaced it with the kyosho part. I have the dark grey/grey chassis and the plastic used is of really poor quality and breaks very easily. I have since replaced every part except the electronics to kyosho.

This is my first iwaver experience having previously bought kyoshos, and like they say when you buy cheap you buy twice.

TinRacers
2007.01.23, 07:49 AM
We've also battled with centering problems. Seems to have a lot to do with servo motor power, I think. No more problems after the Lithium Ion upgrade. I'm running this Firelap on a high-torque motor - no stacked FET's! The higher voltage seems to have inspired the servo motor to higher performance. The car goes really well!

http://www.tinracers.co.za/catalog/images/IWlithium.jpg

TinRacers
2007.01.23, 08:13 AM
Anybody got some ideas on fixing this problem? The Enzo body that came with the latest Firlap 2.0 is way to wide... is'nt it? The body does fit to the chassis, but it's just hangin over way out there.

http://www.tinracers.co.za/catalog/images/IWwidth.jpg
http://www.tinracers.co.za/catalog/images/IWwidth2.jpg

arch2b
2007.01.23, 08:19 AM
have you tried stock kyosho enzo wheels? it's either an offset problem or they extended the width of the body. either way, offset is going to be your only solution

locwan
2007.01.23, 10:06 AM
TinRacers, if you mean that the FL body doesn't fit snuggly on the chassis, then it's a very common problem. I've wrapped a thin piece of hockey tape on each body clip on the body, and it seems to be just right so that the body will now fit on the chassis snuggly without being too tight.

hrdrvr
2007.01.23, 10:16 AM
TinRacers, thats a nice looking chasis wiht the hop-ups.

im with arch though, i think youll need some differetnt offset wheels. are those the wheels that came with an enzo, or are they aftermarket ones? i think the body kit chart shows 3.0 w offsets for the rear of the enzo. im pretty sure the ones on the F1 are 0. my enzo doesnt look right now either, because of that.

2EZ
2007.01.23, 11:24 AM
hrdrvr

We need to talk I too am in the Myrtle Beach area I run on a Pair of Mini 96's with expansions I set up from time to time at my house and have a fleet of Miniz's DAMzer from Florence comes over and also has a fleet of Z's We need to get together where do you run?? :) Not meaning to hijack the thread just excited to see a fellow Minizer in the area!! :) :) :D :D

2EZ

gsg
2007.01.23, 12:40 PM
Hello guys, this is my first post hear, I just couldnít resist opening an account as I was reading your previous posts on this thread.

It seems we are all running through the same crappy issues with this cars, and I mean the SAME!.

I too ordered my firelap 2.0 from the dealer shown in the pictures, same box with a side full of stamps, same honk-kong newspaper pages and also I had the same delivery time, it arrived to my door at Madrid in 7 days, with a weekend in between. So I can say the service and shipping was outstanding.

Now lets get on to my car review. The afternoon I received it, after opening the box my first impressions where a bit on the low side, not having seen a 1:28th car before in my hands I could definitely feel plastics were low quality. I just fooled around a bit my saloon with the car, except for the wheels not gripping a lot on the tiled floor everything seemed to work alright so I boxed it again and waited for the club and circuit on the next day.

When I first got there, I went to the frequency board and there was a guy running my same channel so as I did not had spare crystals he took out his for a change. As he wanted to do some testing he told me if I could take out mine and there came my first surprise, transmitter and receiver crystals were not matched, rx was like 26.985 and the tx was like 27.235 or something like that. So no question I was not getting proper signal all around the circuit. Great for the quality department on this one, five minutes of running and there I was on the market searching for my first spare!. I was also running the stock tires which seemed too soft for the oxyron surface the circuit is made of, so I had to go real slow as If I gave some throttle It would just spin around. But then, once while I was driving through the loooong straight of the circuit one of the guys noticed and told me the car was not making a good noise. It seems the pinion was slipping badly not making proper contact with the differential crown with the result of some grinded pinion teeth. The motor mount was at MM, just as it came out of the box, so another applause for the quality department. That was an spoiled afternoon with no more than 5 minutes of driving. Let me also point you out how while I was at the circuit watching the other guys I noticed two of my wheel nuts were completely cracked and just about to fall away.

During the weekend, while at home I tried to fix the pinion to crown contact problem, I tried with a bigger pinion so it had more contact with the differential and also tried with the different spacers that came with the motor mount, none of it worked!. I was just about to through this car to my rubbish due to all the fun it had given me since, until I decided to just give it a try with the RM motor mount. Just as some one said, I also had to fight with a pair of screws which didnít wanted to come out easily, although at the end they did. Finally it seemed to work fine with the RM, good contact and no gears slipping with this mount. The only thing is that now I had to order a new body for the new motor position, as it is not the same a RM body than MM body, which I did not know (so back to internet for some shopping). Also my motor wire cables came apart while doing all the fixings so I had to go and solder them again. What a joyful afternoon of mechanics did I have!.

Let me also point you out that my motor cable connections to the PCB are not the same as the ones shown on the one picture above, it seems they do to not have an stablished criteria regarding quality, they seem to use what they have in hand at the moment!. And also they are connected just the opposite as shown at the user manual, the black cable to the positive side of the pcb and the red cable to the negative, but everything worked fine so it might be the userís manual which is mistaken.

When I had this fixed I saw a little of light at the end of the tunnel, it seemed I was just a pair of crystals and a new body away from having fun with the car. So I went to drive a little bit around the kitchen to trim the car and feel the car with the RM mount. All this was done without body, as I did not had the proper one anymore, so I crashed very lightly against the kitchen wall, side first, and my car stopped turning. I thought the steering rod might have dislodged from the servo saver, so screwdriver on hand I opened again the car just to discover I had broke what it was supposed to be the servo saver, which as you said its placed in there just for cosmetics, as it is a solid piece of plastic. And also you shouldnít be surprised to hear that another welding came off from the servo potenciometer while removing the steering box from the chasis. And please, do not think I got elephant hands, I treated with the greatest care, its just the soldering is very, very low quality. After this, back to internet to shop for some servo saver spares, and 10 minutes altogether of driving the car until this very moment.

About the transmitter even though it has a nice software the build quality seems to be just the same as the car. My trigger came off while carrying it to the circuit inside a bag. I had to open the Tx and place it properly again.

So not many good things I can say until now, lets see if with the new spares coming and some hop up parts I will be able to get some driving time. If you buy cheap, you buy twice. LESSON LEARNED.

I am also disappointed to hear that the PCB is not any better than the one which came with the first iwavers 2.0 as I recall reading somewhere the new firelaps 2.0 had upgraded fets which allowed stronger motors, is it like this then?

machine
2007.01.23, 07:30 PM
I've never found the Iwaver PCB to be an issue really. The servo motor could be stronger and the POT could be a step up. But the board is pretty solid. I've soldered on a Nelly turbo to a few of them, stacked fets and am still running a Firelap PCB in a MR02 chassis (i am using the Kyosho servo motor and POT mind you)

hrdrvr
2007.01.24, 08:49 AM
hrdrvr

We need to talk I too am in the Myrtle Beach area I run on a Pair of Mini 96's with expansions I set up from time to time at my house and have a fleet of Miniz's DAMzer from Florence comes over and also has a fleet of Z's We need to get together where do you run?? :) Not meaning to hijack the thread just excited to see a fellow Minizer in the area!! :) :) :D :D

2EZ

ill trade a jacked thread for a new racing buddy every day of the week. ;)

ive got an 02 and 010, and this new FL 2.0. my dad has 3 cars, and a couple of the other guys that work with me have cars. weve also all got at least a couple xmods :rolleyes: we run on a carpet track, that you can see in the track section in a thread titled 'new piece of carpet'.

please drop me a line so we can get together and race.

lthompson@formwork.bz

gsg, im glad you had better luck with the RM setting. i think it may be that the clip for the motor (on the MM) is too loose and it doesnt hold the motor down enough. i may try out my RM set up and see if it works better, but i really want to run this car 98mm. ive allready got an RM MR02, and dont want to run my AWD 98mm, so ive got to get this figured out. the PN racing motor is a bit faster than the stock one. since the gears still arent meshing correctly, im getting something in the range of an xmod for speed, maybe a tad slower. ive even got a shim in there to hold the motor down more. it stays down more, but not good :rolleyes:

i had the 010 stock motor in there briefly, and it seemed to work the best. on those motors the capacitors are mounted to the top of the can instead of the back end. i was able to fold them out of the way, and the solder that is on the can works as a shim and holds the gears on the diff nice and tight. my final track test will happen tonight. if the 010 motor doesnt work out, im going to try RM until i can get some replacement parts for the rear end.

2EZ
2007.01.24, 12:03 PM
hrdrvr

I will email you tonight. looking forward to geting together soon.

2EZ :D :D

hrdrvr
2007.01.24, 12:17 PM
sounds good. we are actually racing tonight :D talk to you soon.

2EZ
2007.01.24, 12:55 PM
sounds good. we are actually racing tonight :D talk to you soon.

I live in Little River and work off 501 near 31 might try to stop by and meet you guys if possible after work.I will have to Email you from home at work now. :rolleyes:

hrdrvr
2007.01.24, 01:02 PM
if you are interested in coming bay after work today, just give me a call. 385.3447 we will probably have 4 or 5 guys today, and you are welcome to come by car or no car (i assume you dont carry yours to work with you like i do) :D

hrdrvr
2007.01.25, 12:43 PM
well, i think i finally got the speed thing figured out. it was a gear mesh problem. i took a staple and folded it into a square. i then glued it to the inside of the clip that holds the motor down. the thickness of the staple was enough to push down the motor to the correct place, and not so thick that its impossible to get the clip on. with the stock motor (properly soldered amd shimmed) the firelap was about the speed of an xmod. still much better control and handling than the xmod, but not as fast as a stock Z.

im not happy with something slightly better than an xmods though. i want to compete with miniZs. i immediatly took the stock motor back out and put in the PN FS motor. it was fast.

i found out how cheap the plastic is though. my first high speed brush with the wall resulted in a broken right front knuckle. i guess the little bit it sticks out from the body (while turning) was enough to catch on the wall and break the small piece that fits into the tie rod. i guess these things arent meant to be run at high speeds. i have had way worse wrecks with my Zs and beat the hell out of my xmods and never broke a knuckle. i accidentally drove my ma010 off of a 5' tall shelf and only bent the rear knuckle that it landed on.

the plastic has finally shown me its quality.

id like to come up with some sort of summary for this experience, but if i type it right now it wont be good for future buyers (well not good for firelap ;)). this is NOT and i repeat NOT a miniZ replacement car. it is an excellent alternative to xmods, and i think would be a much better entry level car. i think it has potential to run with miniZs, but i have xmods that do that too. i dont think it could run with Zs with much less modification than my xmod (upgraded tires, drivetrain, motor, and bearings), and it apparently has some strength issues that even xmods dont have. one thing it will always have over xmods is the elctronics. these are true hobby grade electronics. the quality control isnt equal to kyosho, but none the less, you can use a real Tx with (actually comes with it) it, and real servos and such, which is pretty out of reach (for the average hobbiest) with xmods.

i am still satisfied with the purchase. i got a nice Tx which im using for all of my cars now, two cool bodies, and a nice PCB that i may leave for now, but it crossed my mind last night to put it in my xtruck. i can say that the experience of having one in front of me and playing/working with it first hand, has a lot of value. ive been wondering about these things for a long time now. the wondering is over, but now im curious how the IW02s stack up to these and miniZs......guess ill be on the lookout for them :D

if i take the time to add in the bearings, and i get new knuckles, ill let you guys know how they work out. i think a lot of the slop issues would be fixed with those two parts, but im not sure ill spend much more time/$$$ on this car :rolleyes:

hrdrvr
2007.01.30, 02:11 PM
well, i coudnt just let this thing go. i was sitting around last thursday night (after the previous dissapointing post) with nothing to do, so i decided to try again to get this car ready for the track. i stole the right knuckle out of my 02, and reshimmed the motor. the thing is pretty darn fast, and very controlable. i drove around an empty track a few times and it seemed like i was doing a bit better than regular lap times (for stock cars).

once race time came around, i put the car immediatly on the track. its a little squirly with the stock tie rod (looks to have a good bit of toe out) but handled well. its good enough that i didnt notice the squirly-ness until trying to drive around other cars. the good thing though, is i was having to pass people. even better, the car had enough control for me to do so effectively. after getting settled with the car and getting the handling down i ran a couple of perfect laps. the sad thing....i brushed the wall on the left side coming out of the only right turn on the track (entered too hot) and broke the other stock knuckle :( these things are cheap!

so was this track time enough for me to say this IS a great car...? NO, but it was enough to restore my faith in the potential of the car. today i ordered kyosho knuckels and MM motor mount to replace the FL parts. i also bought the kyosho servo saver. once i exchange these parts, and change the tie rod, i belive ill be able to compete with Zs, unless it opens up more cans of worms. i will keep the thread updated though...good, bad, or ugly.

mini-zracer.nl
2007.02.12, 06:42 AM
Interesting topic, nice to see everybody stays reasonable (instead of the never ending Kyosho-vs.-IW war :p ).

I did have a couple of IW 02's, the "clone-type" ;) . I've had a lot of fun with them, no big trouble. Recently I bought a Firelap 2.0 (the Firelap, not the Nanoracer). I thought I could expect something like the "good" old IW. Well, here are my impressions:

-The Tx (FL, no module-type) is nice, feels better then the IW.
-The plastic chassis parts look like they are the same as the white IW parts, but painted. It seems to me that due to painting the plastic is more breakable. I got my chassis with broken knuckles, batteryclips and some other broken parts.
-PCB looks the same as the old IW PCB, but I'm not sure about quality control ..... :( Despite a decent installation in a MR-015 chassis (that was the reason I bought the RTR in the first place: I needed a cheap PCB), it burnt within 10 minutes. And when I say burnt, I mean :eek: burnt!!

In my opinion it isn't a bad choice, but out-of-the-box it needs some attention! I hope the Nanoracer has some improvements on the above issues.

DAMZer
2007.02.15, 07:38 PM
hrdrvr

So there are other Mini-Z fanatics in the area!!! Talked with 2EZ tonight to try to set-up for Friday evening, but he already had plans.........Oh well, I'll get over there sometime in the future.....I'll bring a "couple" cars to play with :D

2EZ
2007.02.26, 11:29 AM
hrdrvr

So there are other Mini-Z fanatics in the area!!! Talked with 2EZ tonight to try to set-up for Friday evening, but he already had plans.........Oh well, I'll get over there sometime in the future.....I'll bring a "couple" cars to play with :D

Sorry not able to get me and DAMzer there but I plan to do so soon. missed you guys last cople of friday nights been out of town busy with work etc. look foward to racing again soon.
2EZ

DAMZer
2007.02.27, 08:37 PM
No can do this weekend or next............what about the 16th?

hrdrvr
2007.03.08, 08:21 AM
Wow, I went out of town a couple of weekends ago and hadnt checked this thread in a while. Another Z guy WooHoo!

DAMzer,
You are welcome to come down anytime, with or wihtout 2EZ.

2EZ,
Weve missed you the last couple of weeks. The other guys were hoping we didnt scare you away as I hadnt heard from you. I guess I hadnt checked this thread though :lol: I lost the paper I had your numbers on. I aslo switched CPUs in the office and dont have your email anymore :eek: Thats the only reason I came back here was to post a message and see if you would respond :lol: Shoot me another email or give me a call wiht your contact info again, so I can keep in touch better. We are trying to get a few racers out here friday, as a couple of our regulars are having troubles and havent been racing much. LMK if you think youll come by. Otherwise, Ill TTYL!

On topic

Ive spent enough time with this remote to do a write up. Also, Ive had some other major and minor problems with the car. Some problems have been easier to fix than others, but Im changing my mind about who this car is good for ;) Ill have completed thoughts and may need to post pics for help with the lates problem Ive had.

mini-zracer.nl,
Thanks for your input as well. Im sorry to hear about your fried board, but Im sorry to say the quality control hasnt been to my liking so far. They are about on par with xmod quality control, IMO, but it is a better product. It just doesnt seem that consistant from what others are posting.

DAMZer
2007.03.22, 07:53 PM
Enjoyed the run last Friday, wished I could've been more competitive, but we will see if my adjustments make me any better the next time I visit. I've set up 1, 02 just for your carpet. Add in some different tires and we will see. Great fun and a good bunch of racers to hang with. See you soon...will try to get ther earlier next time ;)

:D :D :D :D :D

2EZ
2007.03.23, 11:21 AM
Yep I had a great time got my car handling better showed of my new NASCAR.
You guys should see the diff from the back of my AWD the gears were in a pile on my kitchen table and my wife asked what is that?? I told her the need for a new set of AWD sliper diffs She laughed and then showed me a new outfit she bought. I will make an oder this weekend. I also plan to get some of the new carpet tires. See you all soon.

hrdrvr
2007.03.26, 09:09 AM
Realy glad y'all made it out. Hopefully well be able to get together again soon ;)

Phenochilus
2007.05.11, 04:42 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned previously, but the stock wiring from battery terminals to the firelap circuit board are way too small and only hang on by a single thread from the factory. I changed these over to wires found in an old rj-45 cable and now there is a lot more power on tap. All this time I thought my motor was a bit of a dud !

Also, if people haven't already done it, use the paper trick behind the steering pot because it DOES move causing the steering to twitch. I have a kyosho clear chassis fitted and you can actually see it shake.