PDA

View Full Version : Ground Clearance

Blacker24
2007.01.13, 10:09 AM
I've seen alot of threads about lowering but not much on actualy how low! What would be the absolute lowest ground clearance for the RCP tracks?

pomme de terre
2007.01.13, 12:31 PM
You could try marking the bottom of your car with some chalk. Then lower it and drive a few laps. If all the chalk is rubbed away, then its too low. If none of it is, you can probably go a bit lower. Just find the happy medium where only a little bit of the chalk rubs off.

byebye
2007.01.13, 12:32 PM
I've seen alot of threads about lowering but not much on actualy how low! What would be the absolute lowest ground clearance for the RCP tracks?

You can go pretty low but any kind of transition from low to hi and the front of the body will catch and the car wil bounce.

I generally lower mine as low as possible with about 2 degrees of camber. There will also be less travel unfortunately.

-Byebye

Ninja
2007.01.13, 12:59 PM
if you go lower, also go with stiffer springs to accomodate the less travel and keep the suspension from bottoming out.

byebye
2007.01.13, 02:01 PM
if you go lower, also go with stiffer springs to accomodate the less travel and keep the suspension from bottoming out.

yeah forgot about that ;) . Also if the springs are too soft the preload will also cause the tires to rub.

-Byebye

Blacker24
2007.01.13, 02:35 PM
yeah forgot about that ;) . Also if the springs are too soft the preload will also cause the tires to rub.

-Byebye

As for the RCP and assuming the surface under it is pefectly smooth and level, how smooth and level is the track? I currently use a GPM lower front brace. This alone lowers the front of the chassis approx 1mm. Now I also have a PN LSG rear mount and a VDM body. With this setup the chassis and body are perfectly level. Which only leaves me with about 2mm of clearance. I forgot to mention that I run on Ozite with a MR02 MM. I want to buy an RCP so bad.

Thanks!

Blacker24
2007.01.17, 09:25 PM
As for the RCP and assuming the surface under it is pefectly smooth and level, how smooth and level is the track? I currently use a GPM lower front brace. This alone lowers the front of the chassis approx 1mm. Now I also have a PN LSG rear mount and a VDM body. With this setup the chassis and body are perfectly level. Which only leaves me with about 2mm of clearance. I forgot to mention that I run on Ozite with a MR02 MM. I want to buy an RCP so bad.

Thanks!

Bueller? Bueller?

color01
2007.01.18, 04:43 AM
RCP looks smooth, feels smooth, but your car doesn't ride smoothly on it at all times. I think Draconious got some onboard video clips of a Z driving on the RCP; it's a bumpy ride. However, 2mm clearance should be more than enough, given that you'll be using a hard suspension setup on that surface anyways. Isn't Ozite much the same way?

Blacker24
2007.01.18, 01:37 PM
RCP looks smooth, feels smooth, but your car doesn't ride smoothly on it at all times. I think Draconious got some onboard video clips of a Z driving on the RCP; it's a bumpy ride. However, 2mm clearance should be more than enough, given that you'll be using a hard suspension setup on that surface anyways. Isn't Ozite much the same way?

It realy depends on the surface under it. I would have to think that because of the thickness of RCP, transition would be gradual. But because Ozite is thin surface prep is important. If you think 2mm should be ok then we'll go with that.

Thanks!