PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 cars missing sponsor graphics?

FrankW1029
2007.01.14, 03:55 PM
Tim,

do you know if there's a particular reason that the Formula 1 cars are missing sponsor graphics like the Marlboro graphics on the Ferrari and the Johnnie Walker graphics on the McLaren?

Hopefully this isn't a case of Kyosho does not want to put cigarette/alcohol product names onto their products because if it is I'm doubtful if there will be a MP4-21 or even the Renault R26 from last year's champ Alonzo since these machines all have cigarette/alcohol paint scheme as their main color. :(

future of the mini-z Formula seems a little grim at the moment... :(

bolter9
2007.01.14, 11:54 PM
Tim,

do you know if there's a particular reason that the Formula 1 cars are missing sponsor graphics like the Marlboro graphics on the Ferrari and the Johnnie Walker graphics on the McLaren?

Hopefully this isn't a case of Kyosho does not want to put cigarette/alcohol product names onto their products because if it is I'm doubtful if there will be a MP4-21 or even the Renault R26 from last year's champ Alonzo since these machines all have cigarette/alcohol paint scheme as their main color. :(

future of the mini-z Formula seems a little grim at the moment... :(

well I'm not exactly Tim, but the deal with real F1 cars is that tobacco sponsership livery is outlawed from being displayed on cars in European, American and (I think) Asian GPs. So maybe that's why they're not on the Mini Z. The next question would be why the 2005 mini z Ferraris don't have the red and white stripes over the marlboro logos..(Ferrari started doing this last year...or late '04-can't remember exactly.)

Fish
2007.01.15, 11:05 AM
Johnnie Walker signed on with McLaren in '06, did they not? Unless they've changed policies recently, Kyosho released a Warsteiner DTM car early on, so they're not averse to including alcohol-based livery on the cars.

I can't say anything about the Ferraris missing the bars. It might be because it's still very recognizable as Marlboro livery, but then again, the McLaren non-tobcco livery with the driver's name on the side is still very recognizable as West's livery. A little inconsistent, if you ask me. Now that Ferrari has unveiled their 2007 F1 car (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=241091), we'll see how the new barcode scheme sits with scale model manufacturers.

FrankW1029, if that is indeed the case as to why we haven't seen a Renault F1 Mini-Z yet, we're in luck. For 2007, Renault has dropped Mild Seven as their primary sponsor, and have picked up ING instead. Rumours say that the colour scheme will include orange. Maybe Kyosho will be more open to doing a Renault now, but then they just lost their marquee driver to McClaren, so that's all up in the air.

bolter9
2007.01.15, 11:15 AM
Johnnie Walker signed on with McLaren in '06, did they not? Unless they've changed policies recently, Kyosho released a Warsteiner DTM car early on, so they're not averse to including alcohol-based livery on the cars.

I can't say anything about the Ferraris missing the bars. It might be because it's still very recognizable as Marlboro livery, but then again, the McLaren non-tobcco livery with the driver's name on the side is still very recognizable as West's livery. A little inconsistent, if you ask me. Now that Ferrari has unveiled their 2007 F1 car (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=241091), we'll see how the new barcode scheme sits with scale model manufacturers.

FrankW1029, if that is indeed the case as to why we haven't seen a Renault F1 Mini-Z yet, we're in luck. For 2007, Renault has dropped Mild Seven as their primary sponsor, and have picked up ING instead. Rumours say that the colour scheme will include orange. Maybe Kyosho will be more open to doing a Renault now, but then they just lost their marquee driver to McClaren, so that's all up in the air.

Good points. I may be wrong, but I believe that Ferrari is the only team from '07 on that still has tobacco sponshorship (although I read that they've officialy removed Marlboro from the team name.)

Another F1 that used a not-so-obvious cover up for their tobacco livery, is Jordan with "Be On Edge" (Benson and Hedges)...Kyosho did that car...

FrankW1029
2007.01.15, 03:06 PM

I think Johnnie Walker signed on to McLaren since 2002 or 2003. you can see it on the MP4-19 cars that has the JW graphic just behind the snorkle up top, but on the kyosho mp4-19 the JW graphic is not present.

just curious about the whole thing. lol

as Formula 1 teams don't usually let other ppl have info on their cars for quite some times into the year hopefully we get to see the mp4-21 or the f2006 soon. and hopefully more manufacturers as well.

bolter9
2007.01.15, 05:02 PM
I think Johnnie Walker signed on to McLaren since 2002 or 2003. you can see it on the MP4-19 cars that has the JW graphic just behind the snorkle up top, but on the kyosho mp4-19 the JW graphic is not present.

as Formula 1 teams don't usually let other ppl have info on their cars for quite some times into the year hopefully we get to see the mp4-21 or the f2006 soon. and hopefully more manufacturers as well.

Considering that the Mini Z MP4-20 and the F2005 have only been released in the past few months, I wouldn't expect the '06 cars soon.

bda52
2007.01.15, 06:48 PM

I do not recall Johnnie Walker on the MP4-19 and could not find it on any pictures of the car when I searched for it. JW did appear on the MP4-20 where you mentioned (next to the viking horns). At that, the only photo confirmation I could find was on a picture of a model not the actual race car.

Last year, 2006, was the only year JW was primary sponsor on the car. For 2007 their primary sponsor will be Vodafone. Johnnie Walker will go back to being an associate sponsor.

Fish
2007.01.15, 07:30 PM
Hehe, this is turning into some serious F1 livery discussion here. I took a quick minute to look up the whole Johnny Walker sponsorship deal with McLaren, and it seems they started as a minor sponsor in late 2005, and stepped up in 2006. So the logo would've made it on late season models of the MP4-20's.

The Vodafone liveried McLaren was unveiled just now. The red on pewter looks a bit garish, but you sure won't miss it on the track. We'll see how Alonso does in an 'unreliable' car :) .

bolter9
2007.01.15, 08:46 PM
The Vodafone liveried McLaren was unveiled just now. The red on pewter looks a bit garish, but you sure won't miss it on the track. We'll see how Alonso does in an 'unreliable' car :) .

I'm just really sorry to see the Vodafone logo leave the Ferrari- looked damn good on that car (ok, I am a designer afterall :D )

I'm not totally sold on the livery of the F2007, but the pictures were pretty small, so who knows.

bda52
2007.01.15, 08:51 PM
I'm just really sorry to see the Vodafone logo leave the Ferrari- looked damn good on that car (ok, I am a designer afterall :D )

I'm not totally sold on the livery of the F2007, but the pictures were pretty small, so who knows.

Check out this gallery: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_gallery_display.php?fes_gal_id=665

bolter9
2007.01.15, 11:36 PM
Check out this gallery: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_gallery_display.php?fes_gal_id=665

Awesome! Thanks!

Not much white on that car...maybe it'll stand out on the track more- seem slike last year there were a lot of red/white red/silver cars on the grid.

FrankW1029
2007.01.15, 11:56 PM
not much white because for the coming season Marlboro no longer sponsor Ferrari.

bda52
2007.01.16, 12:00 AM
not much white because for the coming season Marlboro no longer sponsor Ferrari.

Marlboro is primary sponsor through 2011. Deal is worth nearly $1 billion dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuderia_Ferrari#Sponsorship

FrankW1029
2007.01.16, 12:06 AM
oops...i meant to say Vodafone!!...