PDA

View Full Version : Is the Core System available yet?

justswoosh
2007.01.19, 01:18 PM
I'm looking to buy one, and haven't been able to find a place to buy it yet. I saw that Kyosho was going to distribute it. Anyone know when?

Any other lap timing systems that people recommend?

rlc77
2007.01.19, 03:05 PM
I'm looking to buy one, and haven't been able to find a place to buy it yet. I saw that Kyosho was going to distribute it. Anyone know when?

Any other lap timing systems that people recommend?Most of us who own a Core Timer purchased it direct from Core. Kyosho hasn't yet set a release date, to my knowledge anyway.

http://www.corespeedway.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=49

Core's website is still up and he might still sell you one directly. I'm not sure of this but it can't hurt to give it a try.

rharris
2007.01.19, 03:51 PM
I own a core system. I think I was lucky to get mine. I like it alot and recommend it for the club level. If the guys from core won't respond, then I'm not sure how to get one.

As for other counters. The new flavor of the month is the GyroZ lap counter.

They sell them at www rckenon com

justswoosh
2007.01.19, 04:02 PM
Is it pretty easy to set up and use? You like it? Anyone have experience with the Giro-Z

rharris
2007.01.19, 05:39 PM
The core system has some awesome features.

It's all windows based, so the learning curve is simple. The transponders are RFID tags. They are little slips of paper about the size of a credit card. You just tape them to the under side of the car body, and forget they are there.

The loop to read the transponders fits under an RCP track. I can set up my system,and get 15, 10yr old kids registered and racing in 20min. Each kid keeps his transponder taped into his car. Transponders are around $10 each, so it's not a big deal if you loose one. All I do is set up a race, plug in the loop, and have kids come and scan there cars in. The system keeps track of names and current standings in the club.

The big trouble with core is support. If you need transponders, the store here has them, but when they are out of stock, I don't know where else to get them.

The Core system is used by most clubs in the www.howfastareyou.com league. The core system was also used in the last two PN world cup events.

The GyroZ system is an IR based system. There is a bridge that the cars pass under. It's very accurate. The race management system is much more professional then the Core system. But with more features comes a steeper learning curve. Also, it's Unix based. Not a big deal really becouse you can install the whole thing and run it from a CD, even if you own a Windows system.

The big difference is the transponders. They cost around $40 each and have to be wired to the car's power supply. It's pretty easy to do, but takes time at the start of the event to get everyone ready. The more guys in the club, the more time it takes to get things going.

The idea with the GyroZ is that you don't have a transponder for everyone in the event. Racers are tracked as individuals and are matched to the transponder they will be using for a Heat. Guys swap them out after each race. So for a big event, you may have 6 guys on the track at one time, you'd need 12 transponders. 6 for the guys on the track, and 6 for the next heat getting ready. But you are constantly working the program swaping out who is using what transponder. This means to really keep things moving, you have to be working on the program while a race is running. The system provides for a two screen interface to get around this issue.

Some have complained that the core system misses laps. I've never had that happen. I've had the system refuse to start counting, but I just scanned a car and then everything worked after that.

The GyroZ system works really well, once it's all set up. But it takes some work to get it up and running.

They each cost around the same for a club with 10 members.

justswoosh
2007.01.21, 06:53 AM
Anyone know when Kyosho is going to come out with the Core? After reading the post about trying to put the transponders on for the Giro-z I think I will go with the COre.

avant
2007.01.21, 07:27 AM
The GyroZ system is an IR based system. There is a bridge that the cars pass under. It's very accurate. The race management system is much more professional then the Core system. But with more features comes a steeper learning curve. Also, it's Unix based. Not a big deal really becouse you can install the whole thing and run it from a CD, even if you own a Windows system.
Yeah - that's convenient, but also a problem, as you cannot just upgrade to a new version and it's difficult to customize your desktop. Just install a small Linux system (500 MB -1GB) on some available space on your laptop and use the dualboot option to boot into you Linux system - done.
The big difference is the transponders. They cost around $40 each and have to be wired to the car's power supply. It's pretty easy to do, but takes time at the start of the event to get everyone ready. The more guys in the club, the more time it takes to get things going.

The idea with the GyroZ is that you don't have a transponder for everyone in the event.
Hm - we have a different approach as each driver has *his* transponder during the race and the CRC owns some additional transponders, to avoid a conflict.
Racers are tracked as individuals and are matched to the transponder they will be using for a Heat. Guys swap them out after each race.
As I've said, we leave the transponder in the cars ...
So for a big event, you may have 6 guys on the track at one time, you'd need 12 transponders. 6 for the guys on the track, and 6 for the next heat getting ready.
As each has his own transponder in total 12 transponders are needed - that's right.
But you are constantly working the program swaping out who is using what transponder.
I don't know if you're talking about gzround or FLaCo, but within gzround you just open a text editor and you prepare the configuration file for the next race. Of course it has to be named differently ;)
What I usually do, I put *all* drivers who were ever configured for gzround in the file and just comment the not used out (by using a "#" at the beginning of the line - that's all !)
If I need the driver again I uncomment the line - adjust it if necessary - that's it !
This means to really keep things moving, you have to be working on the program while a race is running. The system provides for a two screen interface to get around this issue.
That's not necessary if you follow my approach ;)

Cheers,

Jo

justswoosh
2007.01.21, 09:12 AM
Yeah - that's convenient, but also a problem, as you cannot just upgrade to a new version and it's difficult to customize your desktop. Just install a small Linux system (500 MB -1GB) on some available space on your laptop and use the dualboot option to boot into you Linux system - done.

Hm - we have a different approach as each driver has *his* transponder during the race and the CRC owns some additional transponders, to avoid a conflict.

As I've said, we leave the transponder in the cars ...

As each has his own transponder in total 12 transponders are needed - that's right.

I don't know if you're talking about gzround or FLaCo, but within gzround you just open a text editor and you prepare the configuration file for the next race. Of course it has to be named differently ;)
What I usually do, I put *all* drivers who were ever configured for gzround in the file and just comment the not used out (by using a "#" at the beginning of the line - that's all !)
If I need the driver again I uncomment the line - adjust it if necessary - that's it !

That's not necessary if you follow my approach ;)

Cheers,

Jo

Which system do you use? Core or Giro-Z? Which do you suggest is better?

avant
2007.01.21, 12:56 PM
Which system do you use? Core or Giro-Z? Which do you suggest is better?
We've just tested the Lap-Z, Robitronic and the GiroZ. The reason, why we've chosen the GiroZ:
- the transponders work even with veeeery little voltage - excellent for endurance races
- reliable system (even if we've had issues after 11:50h during the endurance, but that was due to a not documented ACPI-issue)
- cheap system
- excellent recognition
- the software is OpenSource, so even if TRP or the developers no longer maintain the system - you can do it on your own or you can pay somebody to do that. We've seen with Lap-Z how painful not removed bugs are.

Cheers,

Jo

machine
2007.01.24, 10:20 AM
having come from 1/10 AMB systems having to swap out T's between each heat and insure that drivers return them after each heat (which sounds relatively easy for people to understand...) is a big pain for a race director. At least when the director wants to race too.

I went with Core for the ease of operation and not having to swap out T's makes things easier I find.

arch2b
2007.01.24, 10:40 AM
having seen both giro-z and using core, i too prefer core for many reasons, such as:
1. transponders are cheap
2. transponders do not require any power
3. transponders can store driver data
4. core software is user friendly with typ. windows interface
4. core software can be manipulated by those with the experience to do so. not as easy as open source but still customizable

reasons why i did not keep giro-z
1. transponders are not cheap
2. trasnponders require power and line of sight
3. transponders do not store data
4. software is command line driven
5. you typ. have to use 2 seperate programs to manage it

both are good choices for the price range. i just prefer the more idiot proof option.

the real question however is what will core look like when or if it ever gets released by kyosho? and back to the topic, when or if kyosho will ever release it? it has been a very long time already so i'm not holding out much hope at this point

briankstan
2007.01.24, 10:53 AM
I think that estimate is way off... Are you sure they were talking about the 1:28 scale version? If anything it will be cheaper than the current price from us directly. I can't comment further since we are under NDA. But, I think people will be very happy when the system is finally released (soon). All of this speculation leads to false rumors...

--Core

this was posted about 5 months ago by core. I'm sure the Kyosho is adapting this to fit other scales as well as 1/28th. developement is seeming to take a long time, but we don't really know what they are doing. Maybe software changes, hardware changes?

we all know that core was about a year behind schedule when they finally released the product to the public.

here is a link to my tutorial on Core for Race Management. it a good read with lots of pics. you'll get the feel for how easy it is to operate and set up the races.

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22142

arch2b
2007.01.24, 12:08 PM
5 months with little to no feedback is a long time for anything though.

justswoosh
2007.01.24, 12:49 PM
Sent Core and email to see if I could buy one and it looks like it costs $599. Does this sound right? The Giro-z is much cheaper, although the transponders are $40 for the Giro-z vs $10 for the Core. Any thoughts?

arch2b
2007.01.24, 12:55 PM
when you figure in the costs for everything, giro-z price adds up quickly. i believe someone offered a general comparison?

briankstan
2007.01.24, 02:13 PM
Sent Core and email to see if I could buy one and it looks like it costs $599. Does this sound right? The Giro-z is much cheaper, although the transponders are $40 for the Giro-z vs $10 for the Core. Any thoughts?

that's the right price. depending on how many transponders or racers you have the core will end up costing less over time.

also the ease of not having to trade out the transponders is very nice.

both system work well, so it's really up to your situation. Clubs using both systems seem to be happy with the one they have.

justswoosh
2007.01.24, 03:54 PM
As far as support and software goes, will Core still be supported when Kyosho comes out with theirs?

arch2b
2007.01.24, 04:05 PM
i don't know that core has answered that quesion?

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.02.06, 09:16 AM
As far as support and software goes, will Core still be supported when Kyosho comes out with theirs?

Hey guys,

I too was waiting for Kyosho to release the Core system. I called them yesterday, and a Kyosho representative told me that they have no intention of releasing the Core system any time soon (he would not elaborate as to what that means), and that I should contact Core to buy one. But Core still has the message on their website that systems will only be available through Kyosho.

Sounds like the buck is being passed, and no one will have the system available.

Anyone hear differently within the past few days?

briankstan
2007.02.06, 09:45 AM
Hey guys,

I too was waiting for Kyosho to release the Core system. I called them yesterday, and a Kyosho representative told me that they have no intention of releasing the Core system any time soon (he would not elaborate as to what that means), and that I should contact Core to buy one. But Core still has the message on their website that systems will only be available through Kyosho.

Sounds like the buck is being passed, and no one will have the system available.

Anyone hear differently within the past few days?

I've heard conflicting reports. I've posted in the Ask Kyosho section and Hopefully Tim can dig up some good info for us. We'll see.

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.02.06, 10:03 AM
I've heard conflicting reports. I've posted in the Ask Kyosho section and Hopefully Tim can dig up some good info for us. We'll see.

Hey Briankstan,

I did not know there was an "Ask Kyosho" section. I'd like to peruse that part of the forum for self-education. I know this will sound silly, but I cannot find it!

Can you direct me to it?

Thanks!

briankstan
2007.02.06, 10:07 AM
Here is a link

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=77

Mazda787b
2007.02.06, 10:45 AM
Hmm... The thread was locked. This may be me just on the outside looking in, but it almost seems as though Tim posted and locked it himself. However, I am not sure if he is able to do that. Not sure why it would need to be locked, but it looks kind of sketchy for whatever reason. Maybe there is more to this than we think.

madf1man
2007.02.06, 10:51 AM
Just trying to keep thing in check I'm sure. Once he responded the potential was there for everyone to rush in and all ask the same question in 20 different ways. He would then have to spend the day answering them or worse yet not answer and get accused of being rude. He's kinda in the same boat as us really waiting on the big wigs overseas.

arch2b
2007.02.06, 11:59 AM
each manuf. is a mod for thier 'ask' section.

i'm sure he closed it because there is simply nothing more to add to it, making it a mute point to continue with any further questions.

Mazda787b
2007.02.06, 01:37 PM
Maybe it is just the conspiracy theorist in me, but could it be that he is relaying back all the info from the CORE feedback forum to the big K in hopes of working out all the bugs in CORE? Who knows, they may even be creating more user-friendly software and just utilizing the hardware of Core's system.

So are these still for sale through CORE? I have a new LHS that opened up who is looking to hold races. I already mentioned Mini-Zs a few times, but if there is no real transponder system they could use, then it isn't worth pushing there.

rharris
2007.02.06, 01:48 PM
I have a core system, and I like it allot. But if you can't get one, look into the Giro-Z. I've hear nothing but good things about it. Plus in a hobby shop, he could sell personal transponders, or rent them out for the day.

arch2b
2007.02.06, 02:12 PM
no conspiracy, just sound business decision. kyosho would be an idiot to ignore existing feedback on what they would consider an early release model. there is no secret there or any cover up since it's public knowledge and access.

i have no doubt that kyosho will revamp the hardware and software. i have heard rumours about some crazy things they might be doing with it and if it pans out, we will all benifit greatly. atleast those who would have the system.

i and existing core owners are more worried about short term reactions such as core support for the hardware/software and if upgrading if needed be offered, etc. i'm sure they will get around to releasing it, i'm just more worried about what it means to me and other existing core owners.