PDA

View Full Version : Something extra on my Xspeed

JoeKimble
2007.02.04, 08:50 PM
Anyone know what this is attached to the neg wire on this Xspeed motor? I have 2 and it is only on one of them.

I also have 2 MR-02 RM and one stock motor has it and the other doesnt...

Any Ideas??

Xspeed! (http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u27/joekimble/RC%20Stuff/IMG_9369.jpg)

Spoon
2007.02.04, 08:55 PM
I am pretty sure it's a capacitor. Not sure if it's for power or to suppress interference/glitching. I have seen people do that before, not sure exactly what the deal is.

JoeKimble
2007.02.04, 09:10 PM
Well I removed it from my stock motor and it seems to not made much of a difference. Anyone else have any clue as to what it is supposed to do?

locwan
2007.02.04, 09:30 PM
It's not a capacitor. It's a circuit breaker that is also being fitted to the newer AWD chassis sets. It's really like a fuse, and works when the current draw from the motor is too high and "trips" it so to speak, cutting power to the motor and saving you a burnt pcb/fets.

However, I usually see it attached to the positive lead that's connected to the eye terminal attached to the pcb. I'm not sure if it works the same way when attached to different points of the motor/pcb.

See a previous discussion on it here: http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=239407#post239407

JoeKimble
2007.02.05, 09:51 AM
Do you think this could be effecting performance at all? My MR-02 seems a little caster with it off the motor. Should I leave it on the xspeed? Like I said I bought 2 of them and 1 had the circuit breaker and the other didnt.

locwan
2007.02.05, 11:11 AM
I didn't see much performance drops when I kept it on my AWD xspeed motor. Frankly speaking, the breaker is not necessary when fitted to an Xspeed, which is well below the thrushold of what a stock pcb can handle. However, it would be help save you a burnt pcb/fets in the event of a sudden increase in drive-line friction, or the car hitting a barrier w/ the throttle kept on, which can cause the fets to overheat.

My suggestion is if it doesn't bother you in terms of performance, then leave it on there for safety. Better safe than sorry.