PDA

View Full Version : Soldering Guns

lfisminiz
2007.02.04, 09:40 PM
Wanted some opions on good soldering guns to use in our applications (motor leads, fetts, etc..). Also how to take care of tips, cleaning, what to do before and after soldering for the best performance of the soldering gun.

Spoon
2007.02.04, 10:01 PM
Wanted some opions on good soldering guns to use in our applications (motor leads, fetts, etc..). Also how to take care of tips, cleaning, what to do before and after soldering for the best performance of the soldering gun.

I have the Hakko 907 and love it. Adjustable temperature with the smallest iron that I could find. There are three "wands" ( I don't know what you would call them) and I have the smallest one.

After I am done soldering I turn off the iron and melt solder on the tip. It protects it from corrosion. I have had the tip for 7 months and it looks as good as new.

Actually, I think it's the 936 station with the 907 iron. The 908 is the larger one.

Also, to keep the tip lasting longer.
- Don't file the tips to shape them, there aren't like the cheap radio shack tips, they are pre-shaped and coated.
- Try not to "rub" the tip across the work that you are doing.

I am sure there's more info out there...here's some in a thread I started a while ago...
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21744&highlight=soldering+iron

shuter
2007.02.05, 01:44 AM
I took LBRC's advice from that thread and bought the unit he recommended. It appears to be very well built unit with a digital temp. readout and terrific temp. recovery time. It is a great tool and at $49.95 it is a bargain IMO.

You did ask about soldering "guns" but I assumed as did Spoom that you meant soldering "Irons".

lfisminiz
2007.02.06, 06:39 PM
Thanks to both and i did mean iron. :o