PDA

View Full Version : Lacrosse BC-700

arch2b
2007.02.18, 11:49 AM
Robert (A.M.) was kind enough to pass on some information regarding a new charger to be released by Lacrosse toward the end of this year or early next year.

The following are points Robert made about this new package:
1. cheaper price range.
2. does not come with the accessory items like the bag, batteries and adapters.
3. May loose the higher charging rates (700 and or 1000ma).

I am hoping we can get some confirmation information from Lacrosse on the details.

hobbycar
2007.02.18, 12:28 PM
Robert (A.M.) was kind enough to pass on some information regarding a new charger to be released by Lacrosse toward the end of this year or early next year.

The following are points Robert made about this new package:
1. cheaper price range.
2. does not come with the accessory items like the bag, batteries and adapters.
3. May loose the higher charging rates (700 and or 1000ma).

I am hoping we can get some confirmation information from Lacrosse on the details.

I just got the other LaCrosse Battery Charger which I really like. I'm not sure if they are looking for feedback but I wouldn't want a AAA/AA charger without the 1000ma charging rate. Everything else I could do without.

-hobbycar

byebye
2007.02.18, 04:08 PM
I just bought the BC900. I think the price is pretty good for all the features. I suppose a cost cutted version would be good for home use or if you know you're not going to travel with it much.

I haven't received mine yet but I've heard nothing but good. It also has the same foot print as the Energizer 15min charge. I'd rather know the battery is charged than hope it is after 15min.

-Byebye

Sinister_Y
2007.02.18, 11:05 PM
Hi,

Was looking and waiting for the LaCrosse rerelease for a while. I was looking at becoming Cdn. Distributor, but now the Maha MA-C9000 is out and it smokes the Lacrosse.

The biggest feature for mini-z dudes like us is:

fully independent charging and discharging (like LaCrosse) except you can discharge independent of the charging rate. Also both charging and discharging are selectable (again independently) at 0.1A increments up to charging (2.0A ) and discharging 1.0A (again per cell/bank). The LaCrosse only discharges at 1/2 of whatever rate the charging rate is. Perfect for camera battery performance etc.., but R/C we want high discharge rates to condition the cells for punch baby.

Anyway, the other 2 bonuses of this new Maha charger is cycle mode, which basically is a charge/rest/discharge mode x how every many times you want to cycle. Normally a battery needs about 3 cycles to wake backup. Another cool mode is the break-in mode to gently wake up your cells back to prime operating capacity. Again, negative on the LaCrosse.

Best of luck no matter what charger you pick/use. Hell, some of the fastest guys I know (which placed very well (ahead of me) at the PN cup used 1000 Energerizer cells and the 15 min. charger!). So, whatever works for you.

arch2b
2007.02.19, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=Sinister_Y]Hi,

...[\QUOTE]
do some more reading... there are plenty of threads on camera forums that go into both the lacrosse and maha chargers. both are really well liked but after hours of reading, i found the concensus being people still choose the bc-900 over the new maha chargers for many reasons.

i'm in no way saying the maha is not a great charger, it certainly looks great and sounds great but i prefer to read, read, and read some more when i can before making a purchase and all my reading still leads me to go with the v33 bc-900 charger.

to boil it down to basics, the maha was preferred for slow charging while the lacrosse was preferred for fast charging and refresh cycles and battery info displayed for each inidividual cell.

oh, the biggest complaint iread about the mhah chargers were the enormous size compared to lacrosse.

i'll try to post some of the forum links i read later.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/search.php?s=&q=bc-900
http://www.google.com/search?q=bc-900&sitesearch=candlepowerforums.com

warning: you read many bad things about the v25-32 bc-900 chargers. this is why its important that you confirm you are buying hte v33 model as they have improved the algorythms and made some board changes.

most seem to crap on the lacrosse cells in general. i did see many mentions of Eneloop cells however i've never heard of them or seen them before

Sinister_Y
2007.02.19, 12:59 PM
thanks man. didn't mean to hijack the thread, just trying to give more info. Again, it's like what you said, research and personal decisions...just wanted to give the fellow mini-z peeps some options.

arch2b
2007.02.19, 01:02 PM
i certainly do appreciate your opinions :) i even started thread on other maha chargers :)

rharris
2007.02.19, 01:16 PM
Hi Guys...

I've been reading (lurking) everything I can find in the forums about the MaHa and the LaCrosse. I went with LaCrosse for foot print and I liked the display better.

Are you planing on moving all of this awsome info into the battary/charger forum? It would be cool to have one place to find it all.

Also, I'd like to hear more about how guys are using the LaCrosse. It sounds like setting it to 1000 for charging is the way to go. Does everyone discharge/recharge?

Thanks again for all the good info.

arch2b
2007.02.19, 01:46 PM
yes, they will be moved.

here is a thread just for the bc-900
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=255251#post255251

nivlacs3z
2007.02.19, 10:18 PM
Hey, Does the higher discharge really help? I've always thought that it was mainly the charging current and the temperature that affected the punchy-ness the most. Anyways, the bc-900 is not a bad option and the bc-700 should be even better. It is cheap and it does offer that 1A discharge rate... you just need to work a little needle nose plier magic. I'll post up a pic asap. Basically, we know that all of the higher charge rates will be available on for AA charging purposes, and 1A discharge is available on the AAs. Just bend out the connectors for proper alignment and it should work perfectly. I have one of my BC-900s modded like so and the other one to charge AAs. (once modded you'll end up flexing that metal to much to be able to charge a AA without potentially ripping the tabs off.)

shuter
2007.02.19, 11:37 PM
Hey, Does the higher discharge really help? I've always thought that it was mainly the charging current and the temperature that affected the punchy-ness the most. Anyways, the bc-900 is not a bad option and the bc-700 should be even better. It is cheap and it does offer that 1A discharge rate... you just need to work a little needle nose plier magic. I'll post up a pic asap. Basically, we know that all of the higher charge rates will be available on for AA charging purposes, and 1A discharge is available on the AAs. Just bend out the connectors for proper alignment and it should work perfectly. I have one of my BC-900s modded like so and the other one to charge AAs. (once modded you'll end up flexing that metal to much to be able to charge a AA without potentially ripping the tabs off.)

A FAQ on the Powerex/Maha site states that a discharge rate of up to 3C can be used without battery damage. However, the higher discharge rate will yield a slightly lower battery capacity. I have not been able to find any indication that a higher discharge rate affects the battery output rate.