PDA

View Full Version : Ae86

wingzero0
2002.04.20, 03:49 PM
Hey dose anyone knows what drive (front or rear) is the US AE86, ive look up a few of them but they keep calling it "2" wheel drive(i started thinking is there a 3 wheel drive car or a 1 wheel drive, that be funny), and also only the GT-S has the AE86 engine in it right.

MATT TINDELL
2002.04.20, 05:01 PM
The REAL AE86 is actually a two door Toyota Corolla and its front wheel drive. And if anyone mad a 3 or 1 wheel drive car that would just be stupid. AE86 and GT-S dont go together(Gran-Turing Super) it is must likely a GT(Gran Turing) car.
Hope this is correct. If it isn't anyone feel free to correct me.

Strider-
2002.04.20, 06:15 PM
O_O
I always thought AE86 was rear wheel drive...............

?_?

Wedginator
2002.04.20, 09:00 PM
i've been in a car that was 1 wheel drive... the owner snapped and removed the driveshaft connecting to the wheels..... the car had so much torque steer that it was laughable....

Draconious
2002.04.20, 09:21 PM
There is a 1WD car... ;) there is also a 3WD car ;) -- they are TRIKE cars... electric concepts as well as old euro cars...

Strider-
2002.04.20, 09:22 PM
Like the blue 3wheeler in Mr.Bean .....haha he hated it so much and made it flip :P

Wedginator
2002.04.20, 09:24 PM
i don't think he hated it.... it seems like the driver of the 3wheeler's bad luck... haha....

Strider-
2002.04.20, 09:26 PM
No i <think> i remember that it was something about that car he didn't like.....

PorscheGuy964
2002.04.20, 09:54 PM
The Hachi-Roku(AE-86) was one of the last of toyota's old school small Rear wheel drive cars, all other corollas were FWD as of '83, I think,with a combination of macpherson struts in the front and 4 link coil rigid axel in the rear....I'm just a Porsche Guy so I could be wronge so anyone feel free to correct me.

Draconious
2002.04.20, 10:08 PM
That car kept going in front of him through a parking gate or someting... or taking his parking spot... and he woudn up cutting it off, and made it turn fast hehe thus flipping.

UKAR_strjetta
2002.04.21, 01:46 AM
hay ppl if the car is FWD then it is pulled buy the wheel on the passenger side and ALL FWD cars are one weel pulled.

if the car is RWD then it is pushed buy the two back weels and only the two back wheels.

and if its AWD then its being pushed and pulled at the same time and by all 4 wheels.

sorry ppl, i work on cars for a living.......

PorscheGuy964
2002.04.21, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by UKAR_strjetta
hay ppl if the car is FWD then it is pulled buy the wheel on the passenger side and ALL FWD cars are one weel pulled.

WHAT!?!?!??!?! That is not right! if its front wheel drive then its pulled by the TWO front wheels on the passenger side and the driver side! why would a car company do that? it would be stupid then you would get torque steer like crazy. Maybe there is A car that is like that but I have never heard of it or seen it. I think it is not very smart to say that "ALL" fwd cars are like this as not every car is the same.
May I ask you what kind of cars DO you work on because your information seems very incorrect to me.Did I misunderstand your statment?

UKAR_strjetta
2002.04.21, 10:20 AM
ok any FWD car you see burning out the smoke comes frome the right side only but it looks like bouth sides later.

i work on euro and jap sports cars

Wedginator
2002.04.21, 10:54 AM
that doesn't make sense.... i went to a autoshop (2 actually) and all the cars that were FWD drove the two front wheels... I even saw the driveshafts linking them.... even the FWD cars from the 1980's were linked in the two front wheels....

Draconious
2002.04.21, 11:29 AM
if a FWD car smokes the right side tire, then its cuz the drivers wheight is pushing on the left side, and the right side is slipping... one of them has to give... some one just dont have their car very balanced ;). Its got a differential in the steering just like the rear, it HAS to cuz the front is steering as well as pulling...

PorscheGuy964
2002.04.21, 01:43 PM
Also one wheel burn outs are also caused by unequal length transaxels....I highly doubt you work on cars for a living(let alone a mechanic), if your not living very well...;) :)

Russ
2002.04.21, 07:05 PM
Anyway, back to the 86, around 1985, the corolla GTS (AE86) in the US was rear wheel drive. the 1985 US corolla GTS is about the equivilant to the 1983 Hachi-Roku (Japanese AE86). In 1986 toyota went to front wheel drive with the corollas. Well, I'm in a rush, goin out to eat...

Word...

(edit: 19 in 1985, so as not to get confused with AE85)

Hardtrukr
2002.04.21, 07:31 PM
just so you know, AE86 I believe is a nickname. but I have no idea of what it stands for.:(

Strider-
2002.04.21, 07:41 PM
AE86 is just its model name i guess.....like FD3S and FC3S.....

Hachi-Roku(literally eight-six) is more of a nickname.....

Russ
2002.04.21, 08:39 PM
AE86 is factory speak for the car. AE designates the type of car, in this case corolla, and 86 or 85 is the engine type. The 94 - 98 style corollas were AE101 or AE102. 86 is the performance engine, and 85 was the economy engine. Performance had the 4age engine, with G designating performance cylinder head, forged pistons and piston rods. the 85 had the 4afe, with F being economy cylinder head, and just plain steel pistons & rods.

The words "Trueno" and "Levin" say what body style the car is. Trueno was more pointy with pop up headlights, while the Levin had flush headlights that were always exposed.

desertkid
2002.04.22, 01:05 AM
Ok, UKAR_strjetta, your just wrong... A FWD car has to be pulled by the 2 front wheels. If not you would always be pulling off to the right side(as you said, passenger side is powered). If you are a mechanic, or you "work with cars for a living" I hope you get no business what so ever. Since your knowledge is WELL below average on cars. The AE86 is RWD, the AE85 is the LEVIN both RWD!.

PorscheGuy964
2002.04.22, 01:16 AM
If FWD cars were powered by the right wheel only it would actually pull to the left, I think he just make a misstake and didn't really realize what he was typing, lets not turn this into a quasi-honda or ferrari F1 thread, ok people?hehehehe;)

lets atleast give him the benifit of the doubt untill he replies futher:)

Ken Mifune
2002.04.22, 01:33 AM
If a car has a transmounted V6, then the front three cylinders are supplying power to the front wheels, and the back three cylinders are powering the rear wheels.

sorry ppl, I'm sadly mistaken for a living.

Yours Cruelly,
YUKLAR_crshjetta;)

PorscheGuy964
2002.04.22, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Ken Mifune
If a car has a transmounted V6, then the front three cylinders are supplying power to the front wheels, and the back three cylinders are powering the rear wheels.

sorry ppl, I'm sadly mistaken for a living.

Yours Cruelly,
YUKLAR_crshjetta;)

HeHAHAHAH you crack me uP! heheh transverse mounted V6's are fun.....

RallyNut
2002.04.22, 09:54 AM
Ok, this is craziness...

When one of the tires is spinning on a fwd car, this is the side in which the transmission resides. Why? because it is the path of least resistance for the torque going to the wheels. On a fwd car, the transmission is always offset to one side. This means that the drive axles to the wheels are unequal in length. Because of this unequalness(sp?), the wheel with the shortest driveshaft (on the transmission side) will spin first because of the shorter shaft and the fact that the transmission is coming from above it, not from the other side of the car. The only case in which both wheels will spin is if the car has a limited-slip differential, a.k.a Posi traction. On a rear wheel drive car, it all comes down to the cross-weighting of the car and which wheel has less weight on it. But, if the rwd car has a LSD, the wheels will both spin.

Of course, if the car is turning, the inside drive wheel will always spin (LSD excluded) because it is being unloaded by the cornering forces of the car turning. (G-forces)

Does this help matters?

W-tone
2002.04.22, 01:34 PM
If any car has LSD it's going to spin all of its tires, have it's roof turn into a mushroom and get busted by the DEA.

:D

Sorry, coudn't resist.

wrcracer
2002.04.22, 02:16 PM
Gee, W-tone, what sorta things do you think about all day?:p sorry, couldn't resist either.

Russ
2002.04.22, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Desertkid
the AE85 is the LEVIN

AE85 doesn't mean the car is a Levin. AE85 means the car had an economy engine. You could get the Trueno body with either the AE86 or the AE85 package, as well as the Levin body with the AE86 or AE85 package.

clydethelama
2002.04.25, 09:29 PM
this is funny, i clicked on this because yesterday i bought a bit ghar-g ae86 with the truenu body, it wont be in for a while but its gona be so sweet

Ken Mifune
2002.04.26, 05:30 AM
Sweet.
Dude.
Sweet.
Dude.
Sweet.
Dude.
Sweet.
Dude.
Sweet.
Dude.