PDA

View Full Version : Inside i-Series NASCAR

Tim Johnson
2007.02.25, 06:56 PM
In this thread we will explore and upgrade an i-series Mini-z.

When you open the box of an i-series Mini-Z you will notice you will get all
the same options in the box as you would a standard Min-Z. When you open up a NASCAR
i-series you will have a nice suprise, an extra pair of tires. These tires are softer than the
stock Goodyear logoed tires. So they will allow you to dial in the car right out of the box.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/P2250146_lo-res.jpg

Next up, we will take a peak inside of the I-series chassis......

bnwhtlw
2007.02.25, 07:26 PM
Sorry to just barge in on the thread but would these tires fit the classic rims and are they going to be made available in seperatly or in narrow sizes?

mini-z
2007.02.25, 08:03 PM
Nice one T! :)

hobbycar
2007.02.25, 08:34 PM
In an effort to promote the Shop (http://shop.tinyrc.com) that runs these forums here are the links to the special Mini-Z NASCAR Preorder Sale Promotion ($10 off if you reserve your Mini-Z NASCAR using the Preorder links below - NOTE: you'll see the discount after you add it to your cart). I've already got my NASCAR preorder in.

Kyosho Mini-Z NASCAR Carl Edwards '05 Office Depot #99 Ford Taurus MR-015 MM i-Series ReadySet (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18468&cat=0&page=1)

Kyosho Mini-Z NASCAR Kevin Harvick '06 Goodwrench #29 Chevrolet Monte Carlo MR-015 MM i-Series ReadySet (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18467&cat=0&page=1)

Tim, thanks for posting the preview with pics!

I'm doubly glad to hear about the extra set of tire that are softer than stock as I'll be running my on RCP Track. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

-hobbycar

Tim Johnson
2007.02.25, 09:51 PM
After removing the PCB cover, you will notice right away a different look for the i-series PCB.
The Motor FETs are on top!?! Looking at these FETs they are 3004 fets. Looking at the PCB
I don't see any reason why they can not be moded. But I am sure the mod community will be all over it.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/P225014_lo-res.jpg

Turning the PCB over, and man, nothing looks exactly the same. A complete new setup for the
steering side of the PCB. It does not appear to use two FETs for the steering. All and all everything
seems to be the same as a standard Mini-Z execpt for the PCB and chassis plastic colors.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/P2250153_lo-res.jpg

Next up, installing basic option parts

SeanPatrick
2007.02.26, 02:32 PM
Tim...

Any news on a updated release date... Late Feb. is for all purposes... here.

hobbycar
2007.02.26, 07:47 PM
Hey guys, I think we (incl. myself) are getting a little off-topic with the comments and questions in this thread.

Just as an FYI, I'm going to try to clean this thread up to keep it more on topic. For other questions and comments try one of the existing Mini-Z NASCAR threads or start a new one. For example Tim does look at the "Ask Kyosho" Sub-Forum available to signed-in members of this Forum.

Thanks,
-hobbycar

hobbycar
2007.02.26, 07:51 PM
After removing the PCB cover, you will notice right away a different look for the i-series PCB.
The Motor FETs are on top!?! Looking at these FETs they are 3004 fets. Looking at the PCB
I don't see any reason why they can not be moded. But I am sure the mod community will be all over it.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/P225014_lo-res.jpg

The one nice thing about those FETs on the I-Series PCB is they will be easier to take off and put on new ones. It's harder to do the FET mod on the MR-02 and AWD boards because of the big black plastic box right next to it (the one with the "CE" written on it).

-hobbycar

HammerZ
2007.02.28, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the trip inside the I-series cars, I may have some new guys looking at this to learn more about these cars. The boards do look solid enough. Also nice to have extra tires in the box. I may need extra wheel and tires for the pit lane or display cases, so I hope the Nascar parts like those would be out in short order. I look forward to more teams as well, but first things first.

crazyracer
2007.02.28, 10:53 PM
This is PN MR015 front tower bar set on NASCAR with MR2 chassis.
check it out!

arch2b
2007.03.01, 05:03 AM
nice!

what pinion is that?

naturally i would prefer to do this as well however it requires waiting for the autoscales. is there any time frame for when these will be available as autoscales?

benmlee
2007.03.01, 02:30 PM
With a longer wheelbase, if you use the MR02 chassis with a MM motor mount, this could be a better race car than the McLaren. This car is slightly shorter than those long mini-vans, but it doesn't have the height and high CG. I am waiting for the bodies to come out.

Tim Johnson
2007.03.01, 03:12 PM
With a longer wheelbase, if you use the MR02 chassis with a MM motor mount, this could be a better race car than the McLaren. This car is slightly shorter than those long mini-vans, but it doesn't have the height and high CG. I am waiting for the bodies to come out.

Are you going to come out the Kenon monthly race?

piper1944
2007.03.01, 03:48 PM
Where Can I Get That Bar?

arch2b
2007.03.01, 04:06 PM
Where Can I Get That Bar?
a simple search would have turned up shops selling pn racing parts. further more there is already a good thread with many more pictures existing in i believe the parts and hop ups forum. if not there, then the mr-02 forum.

show a fraction of initiative atleast and do a google search. :) ;)

as soon as they are shipped to the shop here, you will be able to get them here :)

benmlee
2007.03.01, 08:00 PM
Are you going to come out the Kenon monthly race?

Yup, I will be bring a modified and stock McLaren this weekend. Can't beat those bodies for practical running. I hear they are suppose to have many people this month.

marc
2007.03.02, 02:34 PM
My local hobby shop just got the Nascar series Mini-Z in today! Now, I'm not a big fan of Nascar, going in circles, but these are super nice! The detail to the bodies is amazing, the wheels and tires are scaled just right, question is. Do they turn right? Or only left? LOL! Seriously, another great peice to add to ones collection. I might be interested in one if the rest of my racing group get's into theme. Right now, I'm interested in an F1.

piper1944
2007.03.02, 02:40 PM
My local hobby shop just got the Nascar series Mini-Z in today! Now, I'm not a big fan of Nascar, going in circles, but these are super nice! The detail to the bodies is amazing, the wheels and tires are scaled just right, question is. Do they turn right? Or only left? LOL! Seriously, another great peice to add to ones collection. I might be interested in one if the rest of my racing group get's into theme. Right now, I'm interested in an F1.
mine is on the way to me...

Tim Johnson
2007.03.02, 02:53 PM
:p
whats that? right and left? is that possable? :p
http://static.blogo.it/motorsportblog/nascarcup2006wgeg0345.jpg

http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2006/NASCAR/WatkinsGlen/Harvick1.jpg

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/117075_lat2006081457167_pv.jpg

herman
2007.03.02, 08:42 PM
must have missed it somewhere... does the i-series have a brake and reverse function?

bda52
2007.03.02, 09:48 PM
reverse - yes

brake - no

FrankW1029
2007.03.08, 03:02 AM
:p
whats that? right and left? is that possable? :p
http://static.blogo.it/motorsportblog/nascarcup2006wgeg0345.jpg

http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/2006/NASCAR/WatkinsGlen/Harvick1.jpg

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/117075_lat2006081457167_pv.jpg

i watched the highlight of the mexico race on espn. the nascars are ridiculously slow in those corners and you can see the car all sloppy in the corners too. lol

Tim Johnson
2007.03.08, 07:32 AM
i watched the highlight of the mexico race on espn. the nascars are ridiculously slow in those corners and you can see the car all sloppy in the corners too. lol

please don't get me started........You don't want to get me started....I will just pretend i did not see your post..................

herman
2007.03.08, 07:37 PM
how'd the toyota's fair? nascar coverage is kinda minimal here...

p.s. here's a pic i took almost a year back... :D

machine
2007.03.09, 05:32 PM
well i hope the mini-z nascars put the north america 'Eye' on mini-z racing. Now i'm waiting for the toyota body before i get one.

Tim Johnson
2007.03.09, 05:38 PM
well i hope the mini-z nascars put the north america 'Eye' on mini-z racing. Now i'm waiting for the toyota body before i get one.

it may be a long wait. Just to give you a head up :)

rharris
2007.03.11, 03:48 AM
This is PN MR015 front tower bar set on NASCAR with MR2 chassis.
check it out!

Did anyone else catch this?

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/102NASCARMmount2.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/102NASCARMmount.jpg

That's a new PN Racing Motor Mount for the NASCAR.

Nice

Fovea3d
2007.03.11, 06:13 AM

Nice

What I see is the diff mounted on the left side, as well as the inverted motor connectors. Any reason to this? Optimizing left turns? :D

FrankW1029
2007.03.11, 06:35 AM
What I see is the diff mounted on the left side, as well as the inverted motor connectors. Any reason to this? Optimizing left turns? :D

ROFL...don't see any real difference other than giving consumer another excuse to spend on new motor mount. :D

Tim Johnson
2007.03.11, 08:59 AM
Having he motor and diff on the left side of the car will allow it to turn left better. In doing this you need to reverse the motor wires so that the motor will rotate in the correct direction.

Fovea3d
2007.03.11, 09:53 AM
Really? The wheel on the diff side having more torque the car will tend to point to the right side under acceleration with the diff mounted on left, also the interior wheel on oval being the left one, it would lighten in left curves resulting in loosing traction? I don't know, it is just my supposition.
Another thing to mention, we drive counterclockwise (mostly lefts...) on our track and we noticed that it feels better turning left with the diff on the right side.
Anyway, I would not believe better left turns was the real reason of this motor mount with inverted diff, thus the " :D " ;)
BTW I just drove my 99 Taurus minutes ago on our (very technical) carpet track. So strange watching a Nascar taking apex and trajectories... I think it behaves like its real counterpart, at ease on straights, very awkward in tight corners due to this loooong wheelbase :rolleyes: I would dream to set a sized Daytona course in some hall, I figured out it would be 60x30 yards in 1:28... :eek:

Tim Johnson
2007.03.11, 10:18 AM
with the motor on the left side, more weight will be on the left. But yes with the motor on the left instead of the right should cause a little push, unless the weight of the motor will counter balance that. Hard to say on this small scale unless you try it.

Personaly on all my 1/10th oval cars, the motors are on the right, and the car works better that way.

rharris
2007.03.11, 01:10 PM
Well, this is the first 102 motor mount I've seen. It also looks like they are going to use the side spring dampner setup for the mount. I've heard this is better for high speed.

It would be very cool to set up a scaled down oval with banked turns. I don't know about 60 yards.... I think the best you could practicaly pull off would be around 60 feet (20 yards). I'm thinking, stacked fets, 33wind motor and 10, 11, or 12 tooth pinion.... Drive fast, turn left.

arch2b
2007.03.11, 01:48 PM
it looks like that motor mount suffers from the same as all other mm pods... little room for larger pinions/proiper gear mesh. looks like a 9t on that car and check out the clearance at the center shock post.

Tim Johnson
2007.03.11, 03:35 PM
it looks like that motor mount suffers from the same as all other mm pods... little room for larger pinions/proiper gear mesh. looks like a 9t on that car and check out the clearance at the center shock post.

looks to me like you could put a 10 or 11 tooth gear on it with out an issue.

arch2b
2007.03.11, 05:18 PM
i hope so. you would be in a better position to tell if you have access to the car than we would from looking at pictures.

Tim Johnson
2007.03.11, 05:40 PM
i hope so. you would be in a better position to tell if you have access to the car than we would from looking at pictures.

I'm sure Phillip will chime in :) I had a chance to drule over that thing. The motor has even been lowered compaired to the other PN mounts.

rharris
2007.03.11, 07:42 PM
It looks like there would be room for a 10 or 11. As for the clearance on the center mount, it looks about the same as the LCG mount. With the LCG you don't need all that much room. The car bottoms out before you hit the body with the post.

I'm looking forward to setting up a NASCAR. It's like the F1 (and the Micro-t that I'm watching my son drive around the track rite now). We race the MR-02 and the AWD on a regular basis. The F1 is a really cool thing to do from time to time. I'd love to have a NASCAR all set up for the same reason. It's a really cool thing to do from time to time. I'm very glad to see hop up parts starting to come out that are specific to the NASCAR.

I say Keep em comming PN...

arch2b
2007.03.11, 07:48 PM
i highly recommend the pn 015 conversion bars that tim showed us. they fit perfect and work great. as usual, pn comes thru with some unique parts.

CDR racing
2007.03.15, 03:27 PM
Hey Guys,
I have been into mini-z's about three years now and absolutely love them, and am a huge NASCAR fan so i was thrilled to see these come out. There was jus one thing that disappointed me. They fit perfectly on an 02! Why didnt kyosho just come out with the body set and include the weels and tires needed? That would have been great! Also, can you give me a timeline for when new cars (drivers) will come out and when the autoscales and unpainteds will be availablle?

bda52
2007.03.15, 03:35 PM
Hey Guys,
I have been into mini-z's about three years now and absolutely love them, and am a huge NASCAR fan so i was thrilled to see these come out. There was jus one thing that disappointed me. They fit perfectly on an 02! Why didnt kyosho just come out with the body set and include the weels and tires needed? That would have been great! Also, can you give me a timeline for when new cars (drivers) will come out and when the autoscales and unpainteds will be availablle?

Though currently not available in the US, the AutoScale are available from Japan through eBay. From pictures posted they will included wheels and tires (not sure if they will include the softer 2nd set of rear tires though).

With one AutoScale from Japan costing $56.60 shipping included, it probably would be a better bet to get the iSeries RTR and move the body to your preferred chassis. Then just use the iSeries for a basher.

rharris
2007.03.23, 02:02 AM

It's all about the Weight. The gear side if the diff is heavy. By putting the diff on the left, you move some of the weight to the left. In other NASCAR scales, they try to put as much weight as they can on the left side.

rharris
2007.03.23, 02:03 AM
Autoscales have hit the states. My LHS has them in stock.

Time to set up a nascar :D

CDR racing
2007.03.25, 08:51 AM
Autoscales have hit the states. My LHS has them in stock.

Time to set up a nascar :D

Yes my track just got on 99 in yesterday, but he didnt even order it so i dont noe how easy it will be to get again. Also, it looks like kyosho is all out of the 29 so now after the first order of 29 everything else is the 99 so we need to see some unpainteds. I guess you will see guys scuffing up the bodies and painting them anyway but the paint job is so nice i wouldnt want to do that. plus the significance of the goodwrench car after dale earnhardt and everything i just wouldnt wann mess that up. But i am happy to see the autoscale cuz i was a little nervous about making that one body last me a whole year.

Tim Johnson
2007.03.26, 10:45 AM
Yes my track just got on 99 in yesterday, but he didnt even order it so i dont noe how easy it will be to get again. Also, it looks like kyosho is all out of the 29 so now after the first order of 29 everything else is the 99 so we need to see some unpainteds. I guess you will see guys scuffing up the bodies and painting them anyway but the paint job is so nice i wouldnt want to do that. plus the significance of the goodwrench car after dale earnhardt and everything i just wouldnt wann mess that up. But i am happy to see the autoscale cuz i was a little nervous about making that one body last me a whole year.

LOL your LHS had to order them in order for them to receive them.

29 Readysets just arrived again this morning. :)

short
2007.03.31, 12:33 PM
any one have any updates on these cars

CDR racing
2007.04.02, 02:19 PM

Nice

Anyone know where you can get these? they aren't on the pn site.

Tim Johnson
2007.04.02, 02:43 PM

as far as i know the PN aluminum NASCAR mount is not out just yet.

CDR racing
2007.04.07, 10:34 PM
as far as i know the PN aluminum NASCAR mount is not out just yet.

Oh ok thanks Tim.
By the way Tim do you know of any aproximate release dates for other drivers and unpainted NASCAR bodies. Just my suggestion that if you do get more drivers out there, go with some more popular ones. I think the harvick was a great choice with the whole dale earnhardt relation and all but maybe some hendrick cars or as u can tell by my icon a nice big red # 8 out there. lol just some suggestions. just out of curiosity are you a nascar fan?

Tim Johnson
2007.04.07, 11:02 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, the cars that are out currently, are of teams that worked with us in the quickest of time lines, and did not have contracts with other manufactures that would prevent us to produce their car. There are other cars Kyosho is trying to lock in, but working with NASCAR takes a bit of time.

rharris
2007.04.08, 12:11 AM
Check it out.

Today at the race, someone had a NASCAR on a MR-02. He used the PN Low CG mount with the PN disk dampner. He just pushed it back on notch to make the 102mm. He ran narrow tires on the front and wides on the rear. It looked good and he was very hard to keep up with.

Tim Johnson
2007.04.08, 12:42 AM
Check it out.

Today at the race, someone had a NASCAR on a MR-02. He used the PN Low CG mount with the PN disk dampner. He just pushed it back on notch to make the 102mm. He ran narrow tires on the front and wides on the rear. It looked good and he was very hard to keep up with.

You know i forgot to ask Phillip today if he release his PN motor mount and front end conversion for the NASCAR.....O well.

rharris
2007.04.09, 07:21 PM
The front end conversion is out. But the rear motor mount is not.

I asked :p

tommy_greeneyes
2007.06.19, 07:47 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, the cars that are out currently, are of teams that worked with us in the quickest of time lines, and did not have contracts with other manufactures that would prevent us to produce their car. There are other cars Kyosho is trying to lock in, but working with NASCAR takes a bit of time.

Hi Tim .

is there going to be an Kasey Kahne Dodge car, I work on an nascar team ,up at evernham's and i know from the Marketing team , someone was talking to Kyosho,about getting cars out :)

arch2b
2007.06.19, 08:03 PM
Hi Tim .

is there going to be an Kasey Kahne Dodge car, I work on an nascar team ,up at evernham's and i know from the Marketing team , someone was talking to Kyosho,about getting cars out :)
awsome! glad to hear there is interest from the team side in getting thier cars produced! it's a win/win for everyone!

tommy_greeneyes
2007.06.19, 08:41 PM

I think this PN Racing Motor Mount for the NASCAR cars is the best thing out there for oval racing ,it may have an push going in the corner or off the corner but if your an real racer, your now how to set up an oval set up , i know with the right things in the area of the car, :rolleyes: this can can hook up .

CDR racing
2007.06.20, 02:40 PM
I think this PN Racing Motor Mount for the NASCAR cars is the best thing out there for oval racing ,it may have an push going in the corner or off the corner but if your an real racer, your now how to set up an oval set up , i know with the right things in the area of the car, :rolleyes: this can can hook up .

I agree 100%. I am the only one at my track with the mount as of now and i am the best car out there. I am running the 05 BB and after maybe the first lap when that initial boost of speed wears out I am full throttle the whole time. I am not as hast as some cars but my speed and momentum through the corners makes it the best car out there. Great part and phillip is a genius for making it. Just out of curiosity would u happen to know Al from Action RC in Staten Island? And also what is your job at evernham if you dont mind me asking? Sorry I'm a Jr. fan but I have a lot of repsect for Kasey too. Would be cool to see some #9's out there. Would be cool to see some anything else but a 29 and 99 out there right now lol.

piper1944
2007.06.22, 03:03 PM
i just hope more cars are released soon...

Tim Johnson
2007.10.04, 12:19 PM
i just hope more cars are released soon...

There are white bodies in stock :)

arch2b
2007.10.04, 12:31 PM
tim,
does kyosho have sales figures for the nascar line? how well has it done compared to the existing mini-z line?

Tim Johnson
2007.10.04, 12:38 PM
tim,
does kyosho have sales figures for the nascar line? how well has it done compared to the existing mini-z line?

what are you a spy?

bda52
2007.10.04, 03:45 PM
Will the COT be coming out anytime soon?

tommy_greeneyes
2007.10.05, 07:50 PM
what are you a spy?

Hey Tim

i work on an nascar team and i here from hour marketing People tell me , Nascar pull out, on making more Mini-z nascars,i know i'm no spy but i can say i like to see an DODGE Budweiser 9 in an COT,thats the type of car Kasey Kahne will be in for 2008, but if any thing make an blank Dodge , i think that be nice

byebye
2007.10.05, 08:47 PM
Hey Tim

i work on an nascar team and i here from hour marketing area say to me , Nascar pull out, on making more Mini-z nascars,i know i'm no spy but i can say i like to see an DODGE Budweiser 9 in an COT,but if any thing make an blank Dodge , i think that be nice

I believe you work on a NASCAR team.

Kris

arch2b
2007.10.05, 08:52 PM
what :confused: is it just me or is that the most cofusing run on sentence :confused:

tommy_greeneyes
2007.10.06, 09:16 PM
what :confused: is it just me or is that the most cofusing run on sentence :confused:

No i'm sorry Gillett Evernham Motorsports NASCAR team.

sorry arch2b for cofusing you .

i think its an fun class to have,the nascar mini-z class, i think NASCAR license ing was not making alot of money them cars, so maybe they pull out,but if there are new cars going out , that be cool.

byebye
2007.10.06, 10:10 PM
No i'm sorry Gillett Evernham Motorsports NASCAR team.

sorry arch2b for cofusing you .

i think its an fun class to have,the nascar class, i think NASCAR license ing was not making alot of money them car, so maybe they pull out,but if there are new cars going out , theat be cool.

So how familiar is the rest of the NASCAR crowd with the NASCAR I-series mini-z?

Kris