PDA

View Full Version : Will stock motor burn?

ub0211042
2007.02.28, 09:02 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of making a 2x2 or 3x2 stack of 4562 on my mini-z MR-02 and AWD.

Will my stock motor from both car burn if i use it with these new Fets?

which one do u guys recommend 2x2 or 3x2?

Thanks! :)

byebye
2007.02.28, 09:43 AM
The stock motor can handle either FET upgrade. If you are confident in your work then a FET ugprade would help. What kills any motor is hard use and abuse and lack of maintenance.

A motor upgrade would be safer, quicker, and easier IMO.

-Byebye

ub0211042
2007.02.28, 09:56 AM
The stock motor can handle either FET upgrade. If you are confident in your work then a FET ugprade would help. What kills any motor is hard use and abuse and lack of maintenance.

A motor upgrade would be safer, quicker, and easier IMO.

-Byebye

i might ask my friend to do it for me since i've messed up with my mini mauler board last time...

do u think that if i upgrade my mini-z AWD fets, will it be easier to drift or harder?

rharris
2007.02.28, 11:07 AM
i might ask my friend to do it for me since i've messed up with my mini mauler board last time...

do u think that if i upgrade my mini-z AWD fets, will it be easier to drift or harder?

It will be harder.

You loose a bit of throttle control when you stack the fets. The higher the stack, the more you loose.

For drifting, it's not about speed. It's all about the right tires for the surface, throttle control, and precise steering skills. A stock AWD with a stock motor and hard tires is all you need.

If you are going to stack, then you do it to run a faster motor (fewer winds on the armature). A 2x2 stack of 4562's will handle just about anything. I can run any motor in my AWD and MR-02 open class cars.

ub0211042
2007.02.28, 11:14 AM
It will be harder.

You loose a bit of throttle control when you stack the fets. The higher the stack, the more you loose.

For drifting, it's not about speed. It's all about the right tires for the surface, throttle control, and precise steering skills. A stock AWD with a stock motor and hard tires is all you need.

If you are going to stack, then you do it to run a faster motor (fewer winds on the armature). A 2x2 stack of 4562's will handle just about anything. I can run any motor in my AWD and MR-02 open class cars.

oh thanks for the info...maybe i'll just left the AWD alone and go disturb the MR-02 hahha...

before i start stacking up the fets on my MR-02, is there any other thing need to take into consideration? will it be too much to put in 2x3 in a mr-02?

rharris
2007.02.28, 11:42 AM
before i start stacking up the fets on my MR-02, is there any other thing need to take into consideration? will it be too much to put in 2x3 in a mr-02?

You can stack 2x3 in a MR-02 with no problems. You'll need to dremmel out the chassy a bit to get one side to fit.

But there is no real advangate of stacking 4562's more then 2x2.

Take a look at this...

Fet Comparison (http://mini-z.home.att.net/mosfet.htm)

Notice that a 2x2 stack of 4562's is better then a 2x6 stack of 3010's.

ub0211042
2007.02.28, 11:56 AM
You can stack 2x3 in a MR-02 with no problems. You'll need to dremmel out the chassy a bit to get one side to fit.

But there is no real advangate of stacking 4562's more then 2x2.

Take a look at this...

Fet Comparison (http://mini-z.home.att.net/mosfet.htm)

Notice that a 2x2 stack of 4562's is better then a 2x6 stack of 3010's.

wow very informative link, thanks man...is it easy to ruin the board beyond repair when replacing the fets?

rharris
2007.02.28, 12:13 PM
wow very informative link, thanks man...is it easy to ruin the board beyond repair when replacing the fets?

Yes...

Two things can happen.

1. You can over heat the board. When this happens, you will see is a brown looking clear goo apear over the green board. That's the glue that holds the board together burning. There are a ton of small electronic bits on the board that can fry if you overheat it.

2. You can lift a pad. metal strips that conduct electricity are printed on one board, then another board is glued over the first to insulate the strips. The pads are where the strips come to the surface to contact with components. In our case, the feet of the fets. They are very thin, when you lift the fet off the board, if there is any solder on the fet and you force it, the pads will tear free. This is called lifting the pad. With no pad, there is no place to solder the feet to and the board is toast.

ub0211042
2007.02.28, 12:16 PM
Yes...

Two things can happen.

1. You can over heat the board. When this happens, you will see is a brown looking clear goo apear over the green board. That's the glue that holds the board together burning. There are a ton of small electronic bits on the board that can fry if you overheat it.

2. You can lift a pad. metal strips that conduct electricity are printed on one board, then another board is glued over the first to insulate the strips. The pads are where the strips come to the surface to contact with components. In our case, the feet of the fets. They are very thin, when you lift the fet off the board, if there is any solder on the fet and you force it, the pads will tear free. This is called lifting the pad. With no pad, there is no place to solder the feet to and the board is toast.

wish me luck...im about to do it now...

ub0211042
2007.02.28, 01:40 PM
wish me luck...im about to do it now...

just did it....whoooaaaaa...scared to death!!!

but i've made it!! yeaaa

thanks rharris!

rharris
2007.02.28, 01:42 PM
just did it....whoooaaaaa...scared to death!!!

but i've made it!! yeaaa

thanks rharris!

Nice...

Your welcome.

ub0211042
2007.02.28, 02:00 PM
Nice...

Your welcome.

hehe time to play!....it's now 4am here in malaysia and im still awake hahah...

how am i going to wake up for work 2morrow hahha

byebye
2007.02.28, 02:03 PM
Sleep????????? C'mon run that car!!!

-Byebye

ub0211042
2007.02.28, 02:14 PM
Sleep????????? C'mon run that car!!!

-Byebye

hahaha playing right now...too fast for my mini-mini track...only 12x8 feet...
need to change tire...not enough grip...

have u guys ever used an Iwaver motor? i have an I-Plus motor...fast for me but how bout u guys?

and there's anothor one called I-Pro motor which is faster...
any comment?