PDA

View Full Version : The right charger for me

NikeSB
2007.02.28, 06:23 PM
So I have my awd coming to me, and I'm now in the market for a good charger. I don't really plan to race the awd. I want to stay away from the average disposable batteries because I don't want to have to keep buying new ones over and over, and it will be even more expensive in the long run. I don't want to spend any more than 45 dollars which I think is pretty realistic. I was looking into the LaCrosse BC-900 because I have not heard any bad things about it, it fits in my price range, and it comes with free cells. The only thing that doesn't sound so attractive about this charger to me is the long charge times. I'm not looking for a 15 minute charger, but bye bye said the charge time for him was 5 hours.

So, would the BC-900 be the best choice for me, or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for the help guys.

hobbycar
2007.02.28, 07:34 PM
So I have my awd coming to me, and I'm now in the market for a good charger. I don't really plan to race the awd. I want to stay away from the average disposable batteries because I don't want to have to keep buying new ones over and over, and it will be even more expensive in the long run. I don't want to spend any more than 45 dollars which I think is pretty realistic. I was looking into the LaCrosse BC-900 because I have not heard any bad things about it, it fits in my price range, and it comes with free cells. The only thing that doesn't sound so attractive about this charger to me is the long charge times. I'm not looking for a 15 minute charger, but bye bye said the charge time for him was 5 hours.

So, would the BC-900 be the best choice for me, or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for the help guys.

I have the LaCrosse charger and I really like it. If you charge at the 1.0 Amp (1000 ma) setting then it will take a little under an hour to charge a set of AAA. This is what I do.

Only way I see it taking 5 hours to charge AAAs is if you use the lowest setting and/or do a full discharge/charge cycle.

Again I personally think the LaCrosse charge is a good deal.

-hobbycar

NikeSB
2007.02.28, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick with the LaCrosse.

I found it on Amazon for 40, but they don't accept paypal. Does anybody know of a reputable place that accepts paypal where I can get it for the same price?

Spoon
2007.02.28, 09:02 PM
The LaCrosse sounds like the right choice. 15 minute chargers are really hard on the batteries. The LaCrosse is really the best fit for that price range.

lfisminiz
2007.02.28, 09:48 PM
Id also reccomend the duracell 30 minute charger. Does a heck of a job and much easier to use. Has a built in fan. If you can find one. If you want the Lacrosse, check out thomasdistributing.com they take paypal and are a very good company to deal with.

NikeSB
2007.02.28, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the help. The charger there is a little more than Amazon, but it isn't too bad.

bolter9
2007.03.01, 11:54 AM
I use the the MRC Super Brain 959 (http://www.servocity.com/html/super_brain_charger.html). It's got peak trickle charging, variable amperage settings, LCD display and AC/DC options. It doesn't charge in 15 minutes, but at 1amp, it'll charge 8 AAA cells in about an hour. I have two of these chargers so I can charge 16 cells at a time.

I think the last one I bought was about $50.

NikeSB
2007.03.01, 09:36 PM
Thanks Bolter. I decided to go with the LaCrosse charger. I ordered it today. :D

bolter9
2007.03.02, 01:04 AM
Thanks Bolter. I decided to go with the LaCrosse charger. I ordered it today. :D

Glad you found something :)

homestar21
2007.03.02, 05:14 PM
Does the LaCrosse have trickle charge? That's one feature I look for...

NikeSB
2007.03.04, 02:30 AM
Yes, it does have trickle charge.

NikeSB
2007.03.11, 10:07 AM
So I got my BC-900 the other day, and I love it so far. It's pretty easy to use. I just hope it doesn't go bad on me like it has been on some of the other guys. Time will tell I guess.

soulstice
2007.03.12, 12:31 AM
I use the the MRC Super Brain 959 (http://www.servocity.com/html/super_brain_charger.html). It's got peak trickle charging, variable amperage settings, LCD display and AC/DC options. It doesn't charge in 15 minutes, but at 1amp, it'll charge 8 AAA cells in about an hour. I have two of these chargers so I can charge 16 cells at a time.

I think the last one I bought was about $50.

Sorry to hijack this thread but i had a question for Bolter. I have the 959. What rig do you use to charge your AAA?

bolter9
2007.03.12, 02:02 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread but i had a question for Bolter. I have the 959. What rig do you use to charge your AAA?

Hey soulstice–I just use an 8 cell AAA holder (4 "pods" x2) that I got at Radio Shack. Just solder the wires together, red from each pod and black from each pod. Then I connect the ends to the aligator clips on the 959. I put some electrical tape around the clips so they won't touch while hot.

I use a similar setup for AA.

rkk
2007.03.19, 08:15 PM
Bolter9,

What settings do you use on your 959?

I have one I used to use for 1:18 that is just collecting dust now.

bolter9
2007.03.20, 02:33 PM
Bolter9,

What settings do you use on your 959?

I have one I used to use for 1:18 that is just collecting dust now.

I just charge at 1 amp for 8 cells. Nothing fancy.

You might be able to get away with 1.5 amp, but you'd want to run a fan– and it might decrease the overall lifespan of your cells.