PDA

View Full Version : Tenergy Battery for Mini-Z?

ub0211042
2007.03.01, 10:28 AM
Hi everybody,

Tenergy 1000mAh AAA battery.
Is this battery is good for Mini-Z?

Anyone tried it before?

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=899

Thanks!

Sinister_Y
2007.03.01, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I am in the process of getting all 1000mah AAA datasheets from all the major manufacturers. How it relates to you question is that I've found and discovered there are only really a handful of real battery manufacturers.

I suspect that these cells are made by a major manufacturer and then rebranded by someone. How do I know this? I contacted Fujicell and got prices for quantity orders (i.e. we're talking a crapload of cells here...500,000 pcs). Anyway, I could also have them rebrand them with "Sinister Y Cells" on it for that price. BUt, again, it means usually big buy ins. Since the website you've linked to sells batteries, their sales may permit a 'house' brand of cells.

Best way to proceed if you want, is to ask for a datasheet and compare with the other manufacturers. This is by no means a definative measure of how good the cells are, just an indicator. Then buy some and test them against other cells that you have. Testing can be in the form of data from your charger, or good ole' fashioned running your car and getting a feel for them. (I would suggest using a timing system of some sort as I've found when I did 1/10 R/C, sometimes feeling faster meant slower lap times).

Personally I went with Fujicell as per forum user LBRC's recommendations as he tested them against other cells and for the price (cheaper than the tenergy cells you are looking at too), I could charge them at some ridicious rate and throw them out after the race. I personally wouldn't do that. I always try to keep my stuff in mint condition. I personnally feel that however you treat stuff (like gear), it will return back the attention by working in top condition reliably over the long haul.

ub0211042
2007.03.01, 11:52 AM
Hi,

I am in the process of getting all 1000mah AAA datasheets from all the major manufacturers. How it relates to you question is that I've found and discovered there are only really a handful of real battery manufacturers.

I suspect that these cells are made by a major manufacturer and then rebranded by someone. How do I know this? I contacted Fujicell and got prices for quantity orders (i.e. we're talking a crapload of cells here...500,000 pcs). Anyway, I could also have them rebrand them with "Sinister Y Cells" on it for that price. BUt, again, it means usually big buy ins. Since the website you've linked to sells batteries, their sales may permit a 'house' brand of cells.

Best way to proceed if you want, is to ask for a datasheet and compare with the other manufacturers. This is by no means a definative measure of how good the cells are, just an indicator. Then buy some and test them against other cells that you have. Testing can be in the form of data from your charger, or good ole' fashioned running your car and getting a feel for them. (I would suggest using a timing system of some sort as I've found when I did 1/10 R/C, sometimes feeling faster meant slower lap times).

Personally I went with Fujicell as per forum user LBRC's recommendations as he tested them against other cells and for the price (cheaper than the tenergy cells you are looking at too), I could charge them at some ridicious rate and throw them out after the race. I personally wouldn't do that. I always try to keep my stuff in mint condition. I personnally feel that however you treat stuff (like gear), it will return back the attention by working in top condition reliably over the long haul.

long but good explanation u got there...where can i get the fujicell?
and maybe i'll try few of the tenergy battery also...

ub0211042
2007.03.01, 01:43 PM
long but good explanation u got there...where can i get the fujicell?
and maybe i'll try few of the tenergy battery also...

Just ordered 12 pcs AAA 1000mAh Fujicell from ebay, cost me USD23 shipped to Malaysia...cheap!!

it's half the price of GP batteries here in Malaysia.

thanks for ur advise!

ub0211042
2007.06.15, 01:12 PM
I'm having some bad day with my tenergy 1000 mAh AAA battery.
When ever i charge them, they peak at 600-650mAh. Will not go higher than that.

Even after i put those batteries for refresh mode, the battery still only peaks at 600++ mAh.

Anyone use this battery? i only have 2 sets = 8 pcs but all behave the same :(

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=576

jaank
2007.10.06, 07:22 AM
Are these Tenergy batterys good for mini-z?Or not

ub0211042
2007.10.06, 03:09 PM
ermmm the battery doeso have the punch but not for long...so if u want to put it on ur drift car, it will work fine...for racing i dont think so

wcrotty
2007.11.13, 12:32 AM
I have run Tenergy batteries for a while......being a very inexpensive battery they are great for club racing.

I did win AWD stock and F1 at the worlds in 2006 with them. I had a great shot at making the 02 A main but on the last qual my motor pod lost a screw. (i was on a 2nd or 3rd qual run)

I wasn't the fastest but they were very good and consistent.

I'm in the process of testing a bunch of different bats to see what i like for bigger races.......for club races i will still use the tenergy batteries because i can beat the crap out of them and toss them in the trash/remotes when I'm done with them.

here are the two races on video.....AWD final and F1 both were running new tenergy 1000 with a few cycles on them.

AWD a main-----sorry begining of the taping was rough (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5917873853023500574&hl=en)

f1 a main (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3757830912228747441&hl=en)

ub0211042
2007.11.13, 01:40 AM
what charger do use with em? how many amps do u use to charge?

wcrotty
2007.11.13, 08:18 AM
At the worlds i used different ones. My turbo 35bl and i would use the amp range of 1.1 to 2 amps. For F1 i just used my rayovak 1 hour charger.

Most of the time i used the rayovak charger.....I was racing all 5 classes and keeping up with batteries is always hard.

At club races i run 5 classes and my dad runs three....so we use 3 rayovak and one lacrosse. But i'm looking at getting the maha charger.

ub0211042
2007.11.13, 08:53 AM
last time i used a team orion flight charger with atomic charging tray, the performance is not so great. charged em at 1 amp.

now i've changed to maha 8 cell charger which works great for me, but never had time to charge my tenergy batts coz busy using my trusted vapex batts.

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.11.13, 10:46 AM
Hi everybody,

Tenergy 1000mAh AAA battery.
Is this battery is good for Mini-Z?

Anyone tried it before?

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=899

Thanks!

I do use them, and as several people have said, they don't seem to have the punch that others do. But, I did discover something interesting with them...

I bought two different chargers for these. One I got from all-battery (model T6280), and it charges up to 8 individual cells at a rate of 700 mAh each. It also has a discharge feature which I never used. When I decided to test the capacity of a representative set of 4 Tenergy 1000 mAh AAA cells on my MAHA (these cells had been charged numerous times on the T6280), I got capacities of about 700-710 mAh, and was disappointed. I repeated this process 2 more times (charge with the T6280, discharge with MAHA), and received very similar results. Furthermore, my Radio Shack multimeter showed voltages of only 1.31 to 1.34V per cell at full charge.

Then I read an interesting analogy regarding battery charging which seemed to make sense, and I decided to experiment. The analogy was that charging a battery can be like filling a mug with beer...pour too fast, and you get a lot of useless bubbles. Pour slowly, and you get lots of beer. So, I then charged the aforementioned set of 4 batteries with a different 10-cell charger (model V6988 from batteryspace), with a charge rate of only 300 mAh. The MAHA then revealed capacities of 744-772 mAh on this very same set after only one cycle, and my multimeter showed 1.42 to 1.44V per cell at full charge. I will later see if this repeats.

Having said all of the above, I do know that plenty of people get much higher capacities from other batteries using very high charge rates. Perhaps these Tenergy batteries are very finicky? I am no guru, and am still very much the newb here, but the above results with these batteries appear to be promising.

ub0211042
2007.11.13, 12:31 PM
i'm no guru too but as far as i know, if you charge the battery at lower amp ur battery will not have the punch. correct me if im wrong.

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.11.13, 01:14 PM
i'm no guru too but as far as i know, if you charge the battery at lower amp ur battery will not have the punch. correct me if im wrong.

Well, if volts = punch (I don't know if this is correct), then my little experiment suggests that the lower amp charge rate yielded greater punch in these batteries. If not, then at least I found that the slower charge rate resulted in greater mAh and volts, which should hopefully yield longer run times.

I have yet to do this experiment on an unused set of batteries, one group slow charged, vs the other group which will be fast-charged...

wcrotty
2007.11.13, 10:37 PM
You can't really tell the batteries full potential buy the simple testers like the lacrosse and the maha. I don't think they have the right tests for our needs in the racing world.

using a battery tester like the turbo charger/ Ice/ checkpoint would be able to tell the real story.

Internal Resistance is what determines the punch of the batteries. The lower the IR the more punch.

Average voltage tells how fast the battery is.

Run time is how long the battery will run.

Here is a write up on what the numbers mean and explains better then i can.

battery info. (http://www.rcracingusa.net/battery.htm)

ub0211042
2007.11.14, 02:12 AM
You can't really tell the batteries full potential buy the simple testers like the lacrosse and the maha. I don't think they have the right tests for our needs in the racing world.

using a battery tester like the turbo charger/ Ice/ checkpoint would be able to tell the real story.

Internal Resistance is what determines the punch of the batteries. The lower the IR the more punch.

will this do the job? battery analyzer (http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1514)

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.11.14, 02:02 PM

Hey WCrotty,

Thanks for the info...I was wondering if IR played a role and if their was a way to measure it. I'll have to see if my apparent improvements in mAh and volts translate to real-world use in some way...