2007.03.02, 08:00 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Ql5wU7hF_I

Worth a watch.

NikeSB
2007.03.02, 09:23 AM
The Mini-Z puts the xmod to shame. :D

johnrtse
2007.03.02, 11:09 AM
Did anyone else notice that they are comparing a 2nd gen MR02 Mini Z to an old 1st Gen Xmod? Hardly an apples-to-apples comparison, I'd say.

If they used an Xmods Evolution, then maybe it would be an accurate contest!

Draconious
2007.03.02, 11:26 AM
maybe more accurate but the result will still be the same ;)

Programmers
2007.03.02, 11:27 AM
No it's fair because I live in the UK where Evos aren't available in the shops yet, where as MR02's are.

michvin
2007.03.02, 11:55 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

you made my day :)

byebye
2007.03.02, 01:52 PM
Programmers is one of my x-mod converted here in the UK ;).

Him and 2 other x-modders came out for the endurance race this past Sunday. Needless to say they are getting mini-z's soon:).

Go easy on him, it's his first day :rolleyes:

-Byebye

homestar21
2007.03.02, 05:25 PM
After watching that, I think I'm crazy for getting an xmod before. I still love 'em, but not like my Z :)

Ninja
2007.03.02, 05:49 PM
Did anyone else notice that they are comparing a 2nd gen MR02 Mini Z to an old 1st Gen Xmod? Hardly an apples-to-apples comparison, I'd say.

I would put an MR-01 up against an X-mod any day and smoke it like a ham on christmas. As a matter of fact. My old 01 was faster than the 02 I have now, with only an X-Speed motor. I cant explain it, I just know that it was faster, just didnt handle nearly as well. I wish I had never traded it :(

Programmers
2007.03.02, 06:16 PM
Cheers ByeBye.

I raced a done up Xmod Evo with my stock mini-z yesterday and I still found the mini-z a lot better.

X-mods are redundant in the 1:28 racing scene. It takes a lot of time and money to make them even the slightest bit worth of being competative.

Look at the HFAY times... X-mods don't come in for a while down the list!

will3kgt
2007.03.02, 11:41 PM
I thought we stopped this comparision years ago. :rolleyes: All I have to say is I love it when an X-modder (Ex-modder) drives a mini-z for 1st time and sees the light. :cool:

johnrtse
2007.03.03, 12:55 AM
My point in my earlier post was simply that this comparo was not a true apples-to-apples comparison.

As you can see by my signature, I have them both. Without a doubt my Mini Z's are my personal favorite, but I also enjoy the Xmods that I own as well. This reminds me of the whole Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge issue- VERY tired of beating that horse!

I definately disagree with one point in the vid; Depending on where you live, though, the cost comparison could definately be interpeted differently. While the Mini Z and Xmod might cost 75 Pounds in the UK, Here in the US an Xmod is $30-$40 (15-20 Pounds) while your typical Mini Z ready set here is $100-$150 (200-300 Pounds).

Just my opinion!

I thought we stopped this comparision years ago. :rolleyes: All I have to say is I love it when an X-modder (Ex-modder) drives a mini-z for 1st time and sees the light. :cool:

Ninja
2007.03.03, 01:15 AM
you got the conversions a little off there John
if $30-$40 is 15-20GBP then $100-$150 would be 50-75GBP

johnrtse
2007.03.03, 01:21 AM
You got me there Ninja- I was a bit mixed up on the currency conversion rate :) Right now, one British pound equals 1.94 US dollars.

But still, A Mini Z in the US is about 4-5 times what an Xmod costs here.

you got the conversions a little off there John
if $30-$40 is 15-20GBP then $100-$150 would be 50-75GBP

michvin
2007.03.03, 01:44 AM
A Mini Z in the US is about 4-5 times what an Xmod costs here.
but you get what you pay for, don't you?

byebye
2007.03.03, 03:19 AM
Guys you can't really make this argument in this specific thread. Did you know that these 3 guys that came to our club had never ran a mini-z?

They never even raced on a track let alone an rcp. They spent their money on what was available and enjoyed it. This is a whole new level of play for them and they realized quickly that "ya gotta pay to play" and those x-mods just won't hack it.

There is no comparison between the two and we all know that. There isn't a need to argue it. I'm just very happy that we got 3 new guys to the club. They are coming from the x-mod community which right now is probably as large as our mini-z community in the states. And Kyosho doesn't even have a distributer here in the UK so parts availablity is none.

How about
39 for a stock x-mod
99 for a mini-z F1
110 for a mini-z mr-02

Imagine you're new, which one are you going to buy?

-Byebye

Jonny
2007.03.03, 04:51 AM
How about
39 for a stock x-mod
99 for a mini-z F1
110 for a mini-z mr-02

-Byebye
Well you can buy in the UK from one retailer, MR-02 readysets at 75 + 4 shipping and a Gen 1 X-Mod from 24.99, however the comparison made is the same of course.

The X-Mods have been cleverly marketed in the UK, not massive coverage but in certain retail outlets to grab the general public's attention. Therefore, many don't realise there are other cars which are far superior available. That said a lot are purchased for just bashers and not for competitive racing also.

X-Mod parts are ridiculously priced here too, so hopping one up as Programmers says will take you toward the Mini Z price range in the end.

Jonny

Ninja
2007.03.03, 07:59 AM
all points made :D back to racing :D

Jonny
2007.03.03, 08:31 AM
all points made :D back to racing :D
It's not that there's a 'point' to be made, it was a decent comparison by way of video, even though you all may have discussed it before many times over. The last bit of info is to make sure UK users know what the Mini Z's can be picked up for, as there's quite a difference between 110 and 75.

Jonny

Programmers
2007.03.03, 09:21 AM
but you get what you pay for, don't you?Exactly...

Also, over here a brand new x-mod is 45 and a mini-z is 75

NikeSB
2007.03.03, 10:55 AM
How about
39 for a stock x-mod
99 for a mini-z F1
110 for a mini-z mr-02

Mhm. You make a really good point.

byebye
2007.03.03, 11:04 AM
It was great though to watch all of thier reactions after driving my points car. They just couldn't believe how well it drove. Of course for them it's new. Where for us we already know there is no comparison.

I can see they are bitten ;)

-Byebye

cdog4w
2007.03.03, 04:28 PM
I'd like to see a redo after doing a tight turns mod to the gen1 xmod. 2-3 of the tests were based on turning radius so it would as least make the comparison closer, and the mod isn't particularly difficult or expensive ($1 in resistors). The very deliberate stopping and reversing so they could make turns was a bit much :)

I'm not saying the xmod would have won any with the mod, but the tests looked a little heavy handed to me. I would also say the line being driven on the final road course could have been chosen to take the wide turning radius into consideration better. Both cars followed a similar line but I think both could have taken a better one.

Still, a neat video all in all, definitely gets its point across.

Programmers
2007.03.03, 06:00 PM
I'd like to see a redo after doing a tight turns mod to the gen1 xmod. 2-3 of the tests were based on turning radius so it would as least make the comparison closer, and the mod isn't particularly difficult or expensive ($1 in resistors). The very deliberate stopping and reversing so they could make turns was a bit much :)
I wanted to stick with Radio Shack and non-electrical upgrades. Also, I honestly never stopped it turning. The turning circle is genuinly that big. The only times I stopped was before I hit corners. I can lay all the mats down and show you the full size of the circle... It's massive.

I'm not saying the xmod would have won any with the mod, but the tests looked a little heavy handed to me. I would also say the line being driven on the final road course could have been chosen to take the wide turning radius into consideration better. Both cars followed a similar line but I think both could have taken a better one.
I'm still learning. ;)

Still, a neat video all in all, definitely gets its point across.Thank you for your feedback. :)

cdog4w
2007.03.04, 04:46 AM
I didn't mean for my comments to sound so critical, sorry :|

I didn't think you were stopping it from turning (you were showing what it could do on the 4 square test exactly), but I think on the road course test you weren't setting up for the turn. You were coming at the hairpin straight on, would have been closer to making it if you'd swung out and come in at more of an angle I would think.

Sound reasoning on not testing electrical mods since not all can solder, especially when you bring xmods into the equation :) I'd be interested in a second video with tight turns done though, even I don't know how it'd do exactly. Personally I could never drive an xmod with stock electronics. The controller kills me and I never got the steering to trim very well. Tight turns only made it passable, and by that I mean possible, to drive on a small track like yours.

Nice little track to practice on, if you're interested in detailed setup and driving info, check http://users.pandora.be/elvo/

Programmers
2007.03.04, 07:27 AM
That's no problem, critiasism is always appreciated when constructive.

I see what you mean about the like on the airpin. I did use the same line for both though.

Sadly, the X-mod I was testing I am selling, so to install tight-turns wouldn't be a good idea... I'll try sort out another form of test. Perhaps with an evo.

Also, cheers for the link, good resource.

marc
2007.03.04, 07:33 PM
The Xmod's are good for what they are, and are great for kids getting into the game, but the Mini-Z's are better in the long run and should be for people who have raced Xmods and want something of better longer lasting quality.
What I liked about the Xmods, was the interchangable body kit's to enhance the appearnace of the car. That, and their Honda Civic was pretty nice as well.

imxlr8ed
2007.03.05, 12:48 AM
Xmods are what they are... my problem with them is that they give 1/28th a bad name. (box stock anyways) Alot of other RCers I talk to say that they bought Xmods, but the second they got them home they realized that their performance was not up to snuff. I can't tell you how many times I've setup an event and had racers come up to me and ask if we were running Xmods. I would explain that they were Zs and then they would proceed to tell me their Xmod let-downs.

Xmods can be just as fun as a Z... but I always thought the perception of this scale of racing takes a hit when they find the Xmods low quality before they find the ever-amazing MiniZs.

Either way... very educational video.

Still waiting for some amazing Xmod times to pop up on HFAY ! ;)

byebye
2007.03.05, 02:07 AM
Xmods are what they are... my problem with them is that they give 1/28th a bad name. (box stock anyways) Alot of other RCers I talk to say that they bought Xmods, but the second they got them home they realized that their performance was not up to snuff. I can't tell you how many times I've setup an event and had racers come up to me and ask if we were running Xmods. I would explain that they were Zs and then they would proceed to tell me their Xmod let-downs.

Xmods can be just as fun as a Z... but I always thought the perception of this scale of racing takes a hit when they find the Xmods low quality before they find the ever-amazing MiniZs.

Either way... very educational video.

Still waiting for some amazing Xmod times to pop up on HFAY ! ;)

NEMA has a guy that ran 76laps in an x-mod evo this past FEB event. Pretty amazing. I'd like to see the video as well as his setup.

-Byebye

imxlr8ed
2007.03.05, 10:09 AM
Whoa... missed that one !

Yeah, I'd be curious about setup too... that's pretty amazing !

BobT
2007.07.12, 04:44 PM
I work in a hobby shop in the states. People come in all the time looking for $30 RC cars. I explain that we have nothing in the shop that comes near to that price. If they really want to try RC but can't afford or are unsure about spending $129 (MiniZ price in our store) I direct them to Radio Shack and X-Mod EVO.

If they like the EVO we have another RC car person. And when they come race with us Z-Bashers they learn just what the extra cost buys them; a lighter, faster, more precise and better handling car.

And we all live happily ever after.

Kel
2007.07.12, 09:44 PM
Yo Bob, its Kel from the races at Johnny Throttle. I second your statement that xmods are a good starter for the price, and in my opinion, with the right setup they can even compete with mini-z's on the track. This Video has raised some thoughts about the X-mod so I am building a race worthy xmod as of now, hopefully to beat a mini-z. Check out the thread here:
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25634

Programmers
2007.07.13, 03:22 AM
That will be interesting. What do you plan to use to make it competitive?

Kel
2007.07.13, 09:56 AM
I have found that the worst downfall of the x-mods is the steering, and the weight of the overall chassis and body. I plan to try out different servo setups, using different micro motors, and shaving some of the weight off. There is much more planned as a go along and pick out the weak spots. I have began a mod to increase the range, which should stop some of the glitching. Keep an eye on my thread, it will be updated soon.

Programmers
2007.07.13, 03:10 PM
Sounds good, I just hope it's faster and cheaper than buying a stock mini-z. Otherwise the point might be lost. I'll keep reading your thread, it's been interesting so far.