PDA

View Full Version : mini-96 versus wide-l and also Core timing systems

russp
2007.03.02, 09:28 AM
Couple questions. Seems like the mini-96 is more popular for flexibility for home use, yes? ie: more layouts than the Wide-L or am I mistaken? The wide-L must use larger 50cm tiles, am I correct?

Also, the core timing system is recommended by the HFAY site but I can't find any info on it as the coretiming web site seems abandoned. Can't find one anywhere else either. Is the core timing system dead?

Thanks,

- RP

rkk
2007.03.02, 02:25 PM
The "Core" timing systmem was purchased or contracted to be distributed by Kyosho. Although it has been months since there has been any update. Last time I tried to buy one from the core website they were sold out. It is also my understanding that now the transponders are becoming more difficult to locate.

Ninja
2007.03.02, 03:09 PM
and yes, you are correct on the tracks. If you add the mini-96 expansion set it is basically the same size as 2 wide-L tracks that are used on the HFAY points series. and at $100 cheaper in the long run, I would reccomend this.

rkk
2007.03.17, 01:49 AM
You also get the added benifit of practiceing on the narrower lanes.

imxlr8ed
2007.03.17, 02:37 AM
For personal home use... yes, the Mini 96 for sure. If you ever think you may want to start your own club some day... I'd recommend taking the Wide "L" route.

russp
2007.03.18, 10:33 PM
For personal home use... yes, the Mini 96 for sure. If you ever think you may want to start your own club some day... I'd recommend taking the Wide "L" route.

Thanks guys. I'm seriously considering doing just this as I really need to practice. There is a club here in Atlanta and they have a nice track but since I'm new to driving RC's I need to have a place to practice and work on understanding what tuning I want in my car so I can be more competitive at the races. Luckily I have a large unfinished basement so I have easily a 20 x 15 area in which to set up a track when I want it.

rharris
2007.03.19, 12:03 AM
The mini-96 all by itself is cool, but pretty small. I'd say budget for the mini-96 plus the expansion pack. That's around $300.

For the same money, you can get 2 wide-l's. Try radio shack or ebay. The thing is, if you are going to practice, and be competitive at your club track, get as close to their setup as you can.

If you are looking into timing systems, the core is nice, but it's pretty much a dead product rite now. I own a Core system but we use the Gryo-z at the Kenon race track. If I had to buy a new system, I'd go with the Gyro-z.

jbenthobbies
2007.05.09, 01:21 AM
I agree with Rod at my track I had the core system. Tech support was terriable and getting transponders were difficult. The giro z system is much more affordable and works very well.

arch2b
2007.05.09, 09:07 AM
rharris has more details abotu giro-z and alternat versions which vary in price that may be a more attractive option for clubs.;) the guy knows what he's talking about :cool: