PDA

View Full Version : F1 hop-ups, what next?

marc
2007.03.15, 11:42 AM
Hello. Besides the obvious ball bearings, what should be the first, eh rather next upgrade on an F1? This will be my very first F1 and as I have no F1 expereince, I need your help please. Thank you!

grymg
2007.03.15, 12:01 PM
DEFINITELY ball diff and tires.

Then you can move onto the kyosho carbon side plates and spring sets.

bolter9
2007.03.15, 12:42 PM
DEFINITELY ball diff and tires.

Then you can move onto the kyosho carbon side plates and spring sets.

Depending on what surface you're driving on, you may get more use out of going with carbon side plates before the ball diff.

On my F1s I typically run (in order of importance) soft tires, bearings, carbon side plates, kyosho ball diff, alloy king pins, springs and sometimes alloy knuckles/tie rod (plastic knuckles tend to break or bend due to their exposure from the open wheel).

I also run alloy wheels on some, since the plastic ones fall apart after a lot of mileage. More alloy means more weight though, so it really comes down to preference.

rkk
2007.03.15, 03:29 PM
I would say tires and bearings and youd be competative in our group.

lfisminiz
2007.03.15, 07:41 PM
Anybody like the Atomic alum motor mount and disc damper? Im in zs for years but also just getting into the F-1. Any more tips? Thanks.

rharris
2007.03.16, 12:29 AM
Depending on what surface you're driving on, you may get more use out of going with carbon side plates before the ball diff.

I agree. I run on RCP. I upgraded everything else first. Spent weeks finding the rite tire, then went with a kyosho diff, then went with toe in, and then camber on the knuckles. Finally after much heckeling from a friend, I went with the carbon side plates. Man on Man what a difference. The car just settles in now and grips like it's on rails.

bolter9
2007.03.16, 10:29 AM
I agree. I run on RCP. I upgraded everything else first. Spent weeks finding the rite tire, then went with a kyosho diff, then went with toe in, and then camber on the knuckles. Finally after much heckeling from a friend, I went with the carbon side plates. Man on Man what a difference. The car just settles in now and grips like it's on rails.

Yep- I was actually surprised how much difference they make over the plastic side plates. Same thing goes for the racers H-plate. Plastic has more "shape memory" then carbon, so it doesn't react as quickly to the active suspension movements on the car– eventually the plastic plates will permanently deform.

I haven't tried the alloy motor mount/damperon the F1...I run those on my racers with excellent results.

Not too long ago I took a completely stock F1 and added all the hop ups one at a time, while testing in between (except alloy motor mount and damper). It was an interesting experiment in learning what actually worked and what didn't. It also verified Joe's set up over at reflex racing. Check his F1 tech article and download his setup spec sheet. (http://www.reflexracing.net/support.asp)

Joe won the PN World cup championship in the F1 class, but has seemingly dropped off the forum and out of the community recently (I think he went back to school or something).

One quick note on using Kyosho F1 front slicks. They're probably the best tire option out there, if you can find them. However, if you're running on RCP, they'll eventually develop heat bubbles and cause serious understeer at high speed. Run them over a fine-grit sandpaper a few times and the problem will be solved- good as new!

grymg
2007.03.16, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info, I just generally assumed the ball diff was important after reading through all the posts in the forum. So when I bought my F1 I bought the ball diff at the same time before I raced it.

I use the carbon side plates as well. I've taken the advice of the forum too and removed the spacers from it and used all but the middle two screws to lower the CG slightly. Works pretty good and the car transitions pretty nicely.

Ian

Fish
2007.03.16, 12:53 PM
Thing with the Atomic damper plate is that it may require you to make some cuts into your F1's body, and if you don't use the Atomic motor pod, also requires some modification to get it to mount on the stock pod.

My first two upgrades for an F1 will always be bearings and tires. Alloy knuckles will be next because the plastic ones are pretty fragile. It's down to preference from there on in, IMO.

bolter9
2007.03.16, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info, I just generally assumed the ball diff was important after reading through all the posts in the forum. So when I bought my F1 I bought the ball diff at the same time before I raced it.

I use the carbon side plates as well. I've taken the advice of the forum too and removed the spacers from it and used all but the middle two screws to lower the CG slightly. Works pretty good and the car transitions pretty nicely.

Ian

Yeah, not to take value away from the ball diff- I run them on all my cars...it lets you fine tune, and makes turning smoother in general. With RCP though, traction is so good that a ball diff isn't a must-have upgrade. However if you're driving on concrete or a similarly slick surface, then a ball diff should be your one of your first upgrades, since you have to detune the back end so much to keep the car from spinning.

Fish makes a good point about modding the F1 body for the damper plate– that's another reason I keep those off my F1s.

Regarding removing the spacers and center screw on the side plates– I tried this and didn't notice any real difference. Last I heard from Joe, he'd gone back on his recommendation for that. Is it making a big difference for you?
(sorry for the long posts...guess I'm in a writing mood today!)

lfisminiz
2007.03.16, 07:40 PM
Just tried the Atomic alum motor mount and disc damper. I really like the motor mount but like som of you said...the disc damper works good but not worth hacking body up. For now i have motor mount and rigged up the spring shock that came with the disc damp on chassis. Seems to work well.

marc
2007.03.17, 04:51 PM
Well, thanks to RKK, here is my new F1
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC05634.jpg
As it looks more complicated to work on than the regular Z's, I don't plan on doing much upgrades to it. Ball bearings, differential, alloy wheel nuts "as the plastic ones suck", and we'll see how much I use it, to see if I need or want more parts for it. Oh, and we do race on RCP tracks BTW. Thanks!
Are there any red alloy wheels for the F1 that will look good with this paint scheme? As you all know by now, I like to color code things. :)

lfisminiz
2007.03.17, 08:58 PM
Look at gpm rims. I think they have red rims. Look on r c x mini.

marc
2007.03.17, 08:59 PM
I did, and I did not like that style. I was hopeing for BBS type. I did notice the shop has Square BBS alloy's. Might get those. But that's for later. I need to drive the car as it is now and then get the ball bearings and diff.

lfisminiz
2007.03.17, 09:00 PM
Also...there not red rims but the polished chrome avm rims, here in the shop look HOT on the F-1. Ill try to take some pics later.

marc
2007.03.17, 09:08 PM
Thank you. Rim's don't have to be red, as long as they look good. If they are silver, I can always anodize theme red.

ruf
2007.08.09, 11:18 PM
Strangely enough, I would recommend the appropriate tires for your track surface and then the Atomic disk damper. You can modify the stock plastic motor mount to fit the disk damper, and this is my preferred setup. The reason I place such a high importance on these components even over bearings is that the F1 is often undriveable without these two upgrades. Tires for traction and the disk damper to control the tweak, and the car can win a club race.

aimfox
2007.08.12, 09:52 AM
1st. ball bearings. 2nd tires 3rd motor 4th. body (if necessary)

Fish
2007.08.12, 11:49 AM
Wow, ruf's back.

Programmers
2007.08.12, 07:18 PM
Alloy knuckles and a front bumper.

ruf
2007.08.12, 10:28 PM
Just coming up for air... :p