PDA

View Full Version : If Iwaver made an AWD, would you buy it?

pinoyboy
2007.03.19, 07:50 PM
I was wondering why they haven't yet? I'm guessing its too complicated for them to make cheap or their still trying to get that 02m out:rolleyes:

I'm sure that if its gonna be the same quality as their MR-02 copies, they'd be garbage, even more problems than their IW-02 has. Gear diffs would break on a 1st days use, weaker chassis than the Kyosho MA-010, the list goes on. :p

However, it would be nice to possibly use for a 4th string back up car, or some drifting after the really cheap parts were replaced with some quality ones.

I wouldn't mind getting a seperate AWD just for drifting, but they are really expensive, even when trying to find a used one.

color01
2007.03.20, 03:47 AM
If IWaver was planning to make an AWD, I'd flood them with design drafts, CAD files, drawings... :D Draconious probably would too.

hrdrvr
2007.03.20, 09:53 AM
Pending price I thinkg Id be interested in getting one.

Another 4wd hobby grade alternative is the Mini X. Ive never seen one in person and I believe they are 1/24th, but they have a lot of features even miniZs dont have right out of the box. Its in the price range of the Firelpap, so I suppose the quality isnt there, but Im going to get one some day :D

http://www.rcbaby.com/npnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=64&page=1

BTW, I think I recall there being a thread I ran across on this forum where a guy had one set up he called the "Z killer" or somehting to that effect. If it wasnt here it would be worth finding, as he had done some simple mods to solve some of the more common simple tuning problems of the cars design.

rkk
2007.03.20, 05:42 PM
The mini-x had a proprietary motor. The armature protruded from both ends of the motor, about half an inch one direction and about 2.5 inches the other. There was a pinion on each end in a sort of direct drive. The problem with this was you were either stuck with the stock motor or you had to wind your own. There is a picture of the motor on R C M A R T.
r c m a r t . c o m/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=144_29_46&products_id=85

Phenochilus
2007.03.22, 08:29 PM
I'm sticking with Kyosho. Already had an expensive experience with firelaps and am not going back there again. Kyosho chassis sets are quite cheap if you shop around.

rharris
2007.03.23, 02:50 AM
... they are going to have to bring the new FM based car to market.

The mega hobby store (that shall remain nameless) says they will be out in late April

Last month it was late March.

before that it was late February...

Shall I continue...?

I dig Kyosho. Now that they are in California, I dig em even more. But if Iwaver ever comes out with an AWD... or the FM car for that matter... I'd buy one.

Of course... I have around 10 mini-z's now... :o

Draconious
2007.03.23, 08:40 AM
I would gladdly sell my design to anyone willing to pay what its worth... but the only offers I have had for the design is $50 LOL... I-waver once replied to my email ages ago interested, until they found out I was not a "hong kong guy", at least that is how they worded it, I guess translation issues woulda been too much for design help...

Zenislev
2007.03.27, 05:23 AM
yes i buy it!

color01
2007.03.27, 12:35 PM
I would gladdly sell my design to anyone willing to pay what its worth... but the only offers I have had for the design is $50 LOL... I-waver once replied to my email ages ago interested, until they found out I was not a "hong kong guy", at least that is how they worded it, I guess translation issues woulda been too much for design help...
You want me to talk to them? I live in Cali, but I'm an HK guy.

FrankW1029
2007.03.28, 04:11 AM
I'd buy it just to drift without worry if it's cheap enough.

Draconious
2007.03.28, 02:34 PM
You can see if they are interested, but I have a few "made in the usa" possibilities to sell to first... want to type more, but this thread is not about my chassis ;).

marc
2007.12.15, 12:00 PM
Iwaver is NOW in the process of developing an AWD car. From the pic's Fangel posted in the Iwaver section, it look's like a cross between Xmod generation one chassis, and Kyosho's AWD chassis. But that's just a rough prototype CAD drawing, so we'll see what their final product is.

fangel
2007.12.17, 02:42 AM
Draconious,
I think we have some misunderstanding, it is not that you are not a "Hong Kong" guy, it is just that we have our factory and design/development team in HK and mainland. A foreign designer would make following up and testing the prototype hard for development purpose. We do not want to ship or send photo and video sample to for communication.
We believe that a hands on approach is the way to go. I hope you understand we do not mean any discrimination and I would more then happy to hear out other ideas.

iwaver are in a design process of making an AWD chassis in FM band. Currently we are getting a few racing developer's to help design this chassis and would be the first one to date. We are very hopeful that this would possibly our best chassis.

marc
2007.12.17, 10:52 PM
I'm ready, willing, and able to test drive for yea!

Draconious
2007.12.18, 01:42 AM
Note that this is an old thread... my reply above was in regards to an email I got a few years ago...

fangel
2007.12.18, 09:04 PM
Really? I remember talking to you (Draconious) about it.
This thread is old, but it's only from March till now, and a lot of development had happen since then. When I get more news and update, I'll keep all of you posted.

Draconious
2007.12.18, 09:33 PM
Yea I was basically, told to "shut up already" about my MiX lol.... not in so many words though. The thread was removed, since it did not really belong.
No offense meant to mod (I am one), or you, just making it "humorous, with out the humor"

I agree with the shut up part, since at this rate I am never going to do the stupid thing so its moot for me to even talk about it, so I just let it go. Although every march I usually start working on it again and wind up posting about it lol... ill prolly do it again when I get some other idea to add to it.

fangel
2007.12.19, 04:28 AM
I really didn't mean any harm. (However I'm not responsible for what other person might have said before)

Your last post sound kinda "SAD" but I'm just telling other people that might be interested with iwaver 04M to hang tight and wait for my update. Since all the detail are very blurry right now.

Personally I am very interest with your product and it's capability. But I'm not in charge of the product development team, and I don't control the production. I did show are design to my boss (who could make some decision) and he turned away since he foresee all the problem we might encounter during the development stage.

Personally I am very impress with you and your ability to turn your interest into a prototype. I would be more then happy to help you out in anyway I could. I'll try to approach another RC maker for you if you want.

Please do not take what I might have sounded like or what my other "PAST" colleagues have said personally. I truly believe that you have a very good product design in hand, you are just missing the connection and the chance to make it happen.

michvin
2007.12.19, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't buy.

marc
2007.12.19, 11:26 AM
I'd wait till it comes out before saying that. It might surprise you!

michvin
2007.12.19, 11:35 AM
I'd wait till it comes out before saying that. It might surprise you!
It might and I'd really love this to happen. Is there anything in works?

marc
2007.12.19, 11:40 AM
Yes, they are in the process of developing it. Fangel has even posted prototype drawings of this. Look under the Iwaver section in forums. I just recently suggested some famous D1 cars for their upcoming chassis. They expect the car to be released sometime begining of next year it sounds like. I could be wrong, maybe more summer time. We'll see. From the pics I've seen, the center looks like the first generation Xmods, while the front and rear looks like Kyosho's AWD.

michvin
2007.12.19, 11:52 AM
can't find the pics :( Do you know where they are?

marc
2007.12.19, 12:00 PM
I'll see if I can find theme.

fangel
2007.12.19, 09:18 PM
michvin,
http://www.iwaver.com/04.HTM <-- this is the prototype picture that some of you might have seen. But I can tell you that some of the parts has already change or been modified during the development.
We actually design and developing this iwaver 04M with another performance parts company, so they would know how to get the chassis to perform the best.
Many has pointed out about the high CG, I have reflect this to the development team and they are looking into working this out without widening the chassis too much.
This is still in fairly early stage in production, we are looking to finish developing or maybe producing this by the late 2008.

michvin
2007.12.19, 10:12 PM
thanks. You don't have a cost estimate yet i'd guess, right?

Draconious
2007.12.20, 07:43 AM
Is 2.4ghz leagal in HK? If so, I think you should make an attempt at jumping right to 2.4ghz, instead of messing with 27FM... compete with the Mini-Z more ;).

fangel
2007.12.21, 12:44 AM
The pricing estimate should be around the same price as 02M, which is around $100 USD per set.
2.4Ghz is legal in HK, and we are planning to have 2.4Ghz upgrade set in the future.

neweraz84
2008.03.08, 01:50 AM
No release date yet? I'd really like to see one of these compete with my awd mini-z.

EMU
2008.03.08, 03:23 AM
If the chassis and parts are durable, and handles well... I would buy it. If the electronics are anything like that of previous Iwavers, I would replace with more quality electronics. The weakest part of the 02M that I have is the electronics. I do like the chassis design though.

What interests me from the initial prototype of the AWD, is that the batteries are more evenly distributed, rather than on one side of the chassis like the MA010.

Ill keep my eyes peeled, hopefully Iwaver will step up to the plate and hit it out of the park (been waiting for years to see that happen). If it does, then I see many more opportunities for other car manufacturers to enter the 1/28 scale market and compete with Kyosho as is done in larger scales.

fangel
2008.03.09, 11:59 PM
there really isn't any solid prototype yet, we are still experimenting with various different setup that would help the chassis performance, as you have said the electronics part we are having a difficulty time with, we are looking for better electronics all the times hoping to upgrade the chassis even more.
The 2008 version is already better then the 2007 version. We are hoping to release a possible second edition within this year.

EMU
2008.03.10, 05:39 PM
Maybe release a kit without electronics, that the user can choose what electronics they want.

will3kgt
2008.03.10, 10:49 PM
Now thats a good idea.

fangel
2008.03.10, 11:36 PM
We have been thinking about releasing a chassis kit for it, but I guess a kit without electronics is possible, but not too sure how many people would be interested.

Red Team
2008.03.11, 08:46 AM
I am :D ...and I guess many others !

fangel
2008.03.11, 11:10 PM
you could actually buy the set right now, since all you need is to buy all of the original parts or all the metallic parts, the only thing left on the metallic is the battery box.

EMU
2008.03.12, 03:48 AM
you could actually buy the set right now, since all you need is to buy all of the original parts or all the metallic parts, the only thing left on the metallic is the battery box.
We are speaking about the AWD here, right? Where can we get the parts, I checked out ToyEast?

Red Team
2008.03.12, 05:12 AM
I guess he was reffering to 02M though we're thinking of 04M ( 4wd ). :D

I did buy all the upgraded metallic parts of 02M and I'll build it with separate electronics..but it will take a litlle time to get all what I need.

fangel
2008.03.12, 11:57 PM
yes, you are both correct.
I was refering to 02M, but the 04M project detail is still very sketchy.
There really is no solid details on it yet, leading to no real releasing schedule.
If we get this product out, you could always do what you do with a 02M, buy the full set of orignial (plastic) or metallic parts.

MrUnlimited
2008.03.16, 08:34 AM
Edmond, any release date known? What bodies will come with the RTR?

fangel
2008.03.16, 10:09 PM
no solid release date yet, but I can confirm that all iwaver body will fit on the 04M chassis.
I can confirm that there is another body in the making, but I can't inform the community what it is yet, but it is a europe supercar.

MrUnlimited
2008.03.17, 06:50 AM
no solid release date yet, but I can confirm that all iwaver body will fit on the 04M chassis.
I can confirm that there is another body in the making, but I can't inform the community what it is yet, but it is a europe supercar.
AHA.....Koenigsegg:rolleyes:

fangel
2008.03.18, 10:16 PM
Nope, but that is a nice car, really nice line and curve.
It's kinda reminds me of a shorter S7

rkk
2008.03.19, 09:57 AM
Maybe an R8?

fangel
2008.03.20, 12:37 AM
rkk,
hum...your guess is...;)
http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/data/1087/thumbs/AudiR8-2.jpg

rkk
2008.03.20, 10:28 AM
love that car

MrUnlimited
2008.03.20, 11:59 AM
But it is not called Audi though?

fangel
2008.03.25, 05:20 AM
I never said what the name is =P
I just provided a picture of an "European Super Car"

VWFreak
2008.03.25, 04:18 PM
What wheelbase it is.
I really want that body for my kyosho awd.

fangel
2008.03.25, 10:22 PM
I don't know yet, I have yet to measure it and nothing is confirm yet.
I'm not too sure would it fit AWD yet.

VWFreak
2008.03.26, 03:48 AM
I don't know yet, I have yet to measure it and nothing is confirm yet.
I'm not too sure would it fit AWD yet.
Then i have to buy a iwaver. what would be the price

fangel
2008.03.26, 10:24 PM
There is official price for it yet, since it's still in early stage.
However I have seen the Clay prototype of the body, and all is well I must say.
We might release the body ahead of the 04M.

marc
2008.04.13, 01:04 PM
Hi fangel, what's the scoupe on the AWD chassis?

fangel
2008.04.13, 10:22 PM
The 04M is still in the wind, it's not a myth.
But there is no timeline for it yet, so it should not be coming in 2008, I'm guessing.

marc
2008.04.13, 11:23 PM
It would be interesting to see prototype design's for Iwaver's AWD, and compare it next to Kyosho's AWD.

fangel
2008.04.14, 12:05 AM
I'm just as interersted as you with the design, I believe the out come would be very good, the overall chassis performance would be even better then 02M.

Cherub1m
2008.04.23, 10:30 AM
Hi fangel

Just an aside. It would be good and lucrative for you guys to consider modules that work for the KO PROPO, and 3PK to control the 02M and the upcoming iWaver AWD.

Later
Philip

fangel
2008.04.23, 10:20 PM
Cherub1m,
I'm actually not sure what requirement it would need to create something like this, however I believe you would need licencing or they would have to agree to help develop for you.
Since I don't have the TX in hand, I'm not even sure if it would work right now.

yamar6
2008.06.15, 12:43 PM
if your worried about the high cg.Put the batteries in like the xmod evo.I think the xmod evo is a way better set up then kyosho. if a better company made the evo it would be better then the kyosho.michvin,
http://www.iwaver.com/04.HTM <-- this is the prototype picture that some of you might have seen. But I can tell you that some of the parts has already change or been modified during the development.
We actually design and developing this iwaver 04M with another performance parts company, so they would know how to get the chassis to perform the best.
Many has pointed out about the high CG, I have reflect this to the development team and they are looking into working this out without widening the chassis too much.
This is still in fairly early stage in production, we are looking to finish developing or maybe producing this by the late 2008.

fangel
2008.06.15, 10:24 PM
I think having a centre drive shaft with battery to the side is your best bet for low CG and good balance. I would agree that the EVO has some good design cue, but then again the overall chassis is very blocky and would not fit some of the "Flater" body.

color01
2008.06.16, 07:36 AM
Edmond, if you're allowed to disclose this info, what's the maximum chassis width allowed on the 04M? I have a couple ideas that could be helpful. ;)

fangel
2008.06.18, 01:44 AM
I'm not the engineer involve with the overall chassis design, so I don't have the actual spec for it. However I would believe that it is very similar or even the same with Mini-Z chassis.

marc
2008.07.11, 04:12 PM
I hope it's not the same as Kyosho's AWD chassis. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a cheap clone of the MA010, I want something different. Like what Iwaver did with the 02M, I hope their AWD is different than the Kyosho MA010.

fangel
2008.07.13, 10:18 PM
I was referring to the chassis width and wheel base. The overall design would be completely different for sure.

yamar6
2008.11.08, 02:00 PM
any news on the AWD chassis.

MrUnlimited
2008.12.03, 03:17 PM
Just checked the website and it is still the same. Is Iwaver dead Edmond?

yamar6
2008.12.31, 05:16 PM
I think so... they never even came out with the buggy.The AWD will never come out.

MrUnlimited
2009.01.01, 06:38 AM
go to www.iw02.cn to see the new stuff of Iwaver/Longsun