PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a track surface? Check it

DDS22
2007.03.20, 09:51 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this before, but I just picked up a case of these last month at Farm and Fleet. You get six 2x2 panels in each pack. A case had seven packs...

http://farmandfleet.com/catalog/product.aspx?i=465722&h=080401001

With it we have a nice sized oval with 18' straights. We've also made it into a six turn road course. I'm a big advocate of this over RCP...

I'll try to get some pics next week and get them up (we race every two tuesdays..)

PS< if you have any questions about the surface, feel free to ask. (Track comes with its' own "walls" as well.)

rkk
2007.03.20, 10:39 PM
A lot of us have used those in the past. They are a fairly decent cost alternative to RCP. I still have a ton of them (80+) laying around. I used PVC for rails on mine, the foam didn't seem to be stong enough to keep me in line. They don't quite offer as much traction as RCP, but you just have to set up differently.

russp
2007.03.20, 11:08 PM
Looks nice. I finally broke down though and bought RCP as it's thicker (5/8") and I worry the surface of mats like these would be too slick. Additionally they have the nice rails/look of course. What has been your experience with traction on these mats?

DDS22
2007.03.26, 11:26 PM
Looks nice. I finally broke down though and bought RCP as it's thicker (5/8") and I worry the surface of mats like these would be too slick. Additionally they have the nice rails/look of course. What has been your experience with traction on these mats?
We've been using them for a few weeks now...
Here's what we've learned. The quasi barriers work ok. they will come loose if a car hits them dead on or a series of cars hit them.
We have a nice oval set up that works real well. And we have used a road course set up too.
My brother came up with a way to lay down the inner "rails" over each other and it creats a berm. Sort of like the inside of corners on tracks like Mexico. The cars will bump over them, and go a little off line, but it's been great.
As for the traction, we've tried both sides. I like the side with no grooves on it better. The cars actually run through the corners better using a wider line around the apex. The other side almost has too much traction. So much to the point that my tires came off.
I'm currently using the stock tires from my car and it runs great.

Yeah, it ain't the prettiest thing, but it's fun and works well. I'll get pics after tomorrow if i can.

Davey Jones
2007.03.27, 07:41 AM
we laid the sides on edge and screw them into the side of the track
with 1 1/2 inch screw and that work ok.

hrdrvr
2007.03.27, 08:16 AM
Ive got my walls cheesily taped down, but it works really well. You can see pics in the "garage track" thread I started in the tracks section of the gallery.

Im yet to drive on RCP, but this stuff gets the job done. Its 10 times over what any garage, linoleum, or hard wood flooring can offer.

But, I mainly run on a large carpet track. A couple of guys that raced with us last week were talking about how much different set up is on our carpet than it is on their RCP. They neeed a much looser car for our track. I run my cars about the same on both tracks, so Id say there are going to be set up differences between this and RCP.