PDA

View Full Version : Disc dampers

lfisminiz
2007.04.01, 07:57 PM
Need some opinions...Ive been using disc damper, like most of us. The question i have is what do you guys think is the best way to run them.
1. with the oil on the plates
2. no oil,just dry
3. teflon type of tape
And why do you think it should be run that way. Thanks.

rkk
2007.04.01, 08:24 PM
I just finally added disc dampers so I am very interested in seeing how people set these up. I have heard of people running dic dampers w/o the top shock. Is this common. I am still trying to tame the rear end and eliminate the hop.

pinoyboy
2007.04.01, 08:32 PM
I use a 3 racing DDS and I run it dry with no oil and no top shock. My car works great as it is, and I don't plan on changing any thing any time soon! K.I.S.S. method :D

Ninja
2007.04.01, 09:37 PM
same here, been running mine on an 02mm over a year now, and never used lube, and I still have the stock springs on it. Without it the car hops real bad in the rear, but with it, it runs smooth as silk.

lfisminiz
2007.04.01, 09:58 PM
Most of the time i run an oil shock on top of disc damp. I think it may be overkill. Might take the shock off, just use disc damp. Does anybody think using the disc damp oil instead of dry is worth the mess.

locwan
2007.04.02, 12:04 AM
I like to run the disc damper dry w/o oil. I find w/ lube on it, the grit and dirt gathers quickly only after a few laps and actually binds up the damper.

I only add a top shock on cars that needs a touch more steering without changing out the tires. the top shock w/ harder springs pushes the front down without stiffening the rear's lateral movements like you get when using harder t-plates. perfect for fine-tuning the car on tight tracks.

rharris
2007.04.02, 02:36 AM
No oil. It's over kill and can really gum things up. I've seen it run down into the PCB over the motor leads. Let's just say, you don't want that.

I replace my disks from time to time. I clean the plate after every race. Use the plastic plate, not the carbon fiber plate. Also, I use a soft spring below and a hard spring up top. I keep the screw loose.

Just my $0.02.

kaz
2007.04.02, 11:02 PM
i use a Kyosho RM damper modded to fit MM.

Diff grease in the damper, 1000-5000wt depending on what track and what track conditions.
Teflon tape on damper.
Carbon fiber discs.
The pole that holds the discs slighty tilted forward and Very little play upwards/backwards.

and 3 to 4mm from disc to the nut, depending on track conditions and the amount of turn-in you demand.

If you want even more turn-in, strip the teflon from the front part of the damperplate.

I never use a Top shock, it makes the car to topheavy IMHO. And i can get the same amount of turn-in with settings on the damper itself.

i find this works the best and so have my team mates.

lfisminiz
2007.04.03, 10:18 PM
Thanks for ideas. I think its time to loose the shocks for now. Anymore thought....keep them comminig.

CristianTabush
2007.04.05, 01:07 AM
Larry, use the top shock in combination with a soft H-plate under bumby conditions. Usually with 30wt. If the tiles/tracks are smooth, don't use the top shock. Do use lube, depending on traction 30- 50wt oil is usually pretty good. The DPS has got to be cleaned every 2-3 runs. I like to sand down my plate/disks w/ 2000 grit sandpaper, the dampening becomes super smooth and very consistent.

lfisminiz
2007.04.05, 11:05 PM
Cristian, thanks for the tips. Always good to hear your opinions. ;)

kaz
2007.04.07, 02:36 PM
http://home.no/photoshopdelar/miniz/damp2.jpg
http://home.no/photoshopdelar/miniz/damp.jpg

Might look weird, but it works really great.

remo10
2007.05.26, 04:32 PM
Cristian, thanks for the tips. Always good to hear your opinions. ;)
I've been messing around with disk-dampers for a while now and have just started to understand what works and what does not! I'm running a hard spring on top and a mid spring on the bottom of the disk,it really seems to work for me,and as for the top shock i don't use that anymore but do use lube from time to time but it can get messy at times.That's my two cents....

Tjay
2007.12.13, 01:21 PM
http://home.no/photoshopdelar/miniz/damp2.jpg
http://home.no/photoshopdelar/miniz/damp.jpg

Might look weird, but it works really great.

I like the motor wire like this but I haven't had any luck with a shorter motor wire. They bind and messes up my suspension.

About the dds set-up that you have... sure looks weird. The lower disc is not fully on the damper plate.