PDA

View Full Version : tire making

jimbo
2007.04.02, 04:44 PM
not sure if i asked already or not sorry if i did i have a horrible memory (still trying to remember my name). i was wondering if those who make or made tires for mini z ol could give advice, tips, sources, pictures, etc. I am selling a couple things and will finally have the money so i would like to start experimenting. i believe this will not only help me but it will help others thanks

arch2b
2007.04.02, 04:45 PM
loog for rcm posts and or emial him as he made tires for overland use

jimbo
2007.04.02, 07:16 PM
thanks arch will do

Jim

Sinister_Y
2007.04.02, 08:26 PM
try this link...it was easy to understand for me anyway:

http://www.oldweirdherald.com/scalestuff/onethreetwo/silicones/silicones.html

jimbo
2007.04.02, 09:41 PM
what i really want to know is like what compounds and sources people use. when you pour the rubber, how do you pour it? do you pour it like if you made plastic pieces with a tunnel for the resin and one for air fill the up till the resin comes up the tunnel? i want to see if it worth doing and make a couple extra bucks on the side to pay for college [not going for another 4 years but want to plan ahead(learning from brother's miss takes)]

Thanks,
Jim

byebye
2007.04.03, 01:38 AM
Cooldragon in Germany uses the same silcone(I think) rubber that dentist use. He said it has a shelf life and the dentist have to toss it. He went and bought it very cheapy since it was going in to the trash anyway.

arch2b knows the tires. They are very very soft and good for crawling. Avant has a thread going about him "avant goes x-mods truck". On that truck he uses the cool dragon tires I believe.

-Byebye

jimbo
2007.04.03, 11:38 AM
yes i believe he does, i tried emailing RCM but its disabled.

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.03, 04:16 PM
I used platinum silicon rubber to make the tire molds a small kit might run you $80.00 to $150.00 then I used urethane in a 30 to 40 shore A rubber compound (BJB F42 worked best it is about $80.00 a gallon).
I also used a pressure chamber (pressurized paint can) that at the least can hold 50 pounds.
I lost close to 30% of the tires I did due to air bubbles and fickle urethane.
this is not a cheap thing to do and can be very very messy and time consuming.
you will not put your self though collage doing it =)

RCMotorsport
Work hard and it will pay off

jimbo
2007.04.03, 05:15 PM
yes i know i can not put my self through college it was a joke(parents and brother were talking about how if my brother goes to NYU he needs to take out loans so i thought if i could make some money selling some ideas in 4 years i may not have to take out any loans) i would like to maybe but i doubt it make money to buy other things go towards car or gas when i get one so i can save my other money for stuff. Back on topic, where do you get the stuff from to make the tires and molds? the main reason i am going to do this is to have fun (end results, playing with the tires not making) and to have something to do. if i do sell them which i high doubt i will it will only be if some one bugs me.

Thanks,
Jim

Yeah 100th post

RCMotorsport
2007.04.03, 08:41 PM
This is one place I have used there in washington state http://www.cptechcorp.com/
You can look at smoothon.com for some good info on casting.
Smooth on makes great mold making things and just lots of good info to start.

RCMotortsport
without the sun would there still be time ?

jimbo
2007.04.03, 09:44 PM
okay, cool, thanks. tire molding and making is going to become like a summer project. right now i am working on my xmods and working on getting and overland, plus i am looking into painting bodies. plus my teachers think i have no lives like them and i have 3 projects over spring break. so many projects so much time but i waste most of it doing nothing.

Thanks,
Jim

I guess i can't order from that site i guess i have to go to them.

edit: i do remember finding this in one of RCM's post back on 2004

RCMotorsport
If I can do it so can you

i say "if you can do it, i can't"
i am really confused on the whole process so i think i am going to have to lay this dream to rest. i wish i didn't but some one would have to show me hands on how to do it. i am going to do some research and maybe continue with doing it.

EDIT 2:is making a mold of a tire and casting it just like making a mold of like any other object? and do you have to put the wheel in the tire when making the mold? and can you make two half molds? if the answers are yes, no, yes, then this will be a lot easier for me.

Jim
sorry for the long post

jimbo
2007.04.04, 10:29 AM
okay after doing some research i came up with this.

I get Dow HSII RTV from Alumilite,
http://www.alumilite.com
That is for the mold if i am correct.

And I get Reoflex 30A urethane rubber from Smooth On,
http://www.smooth-on.com
That is for the tire.

I would also get black dye from alumilite.

If any of this is wrong or I should use something else, help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
What do I use a a release agent?

RCMotorsport
2007.04.04, 04:07 PM
The silicone rubber for making tires molds must be platinum based not tin based, In a tin based mold the urethane used to make rubber will not cure right and make a huge mess, just make sure you get platinum based, when using RTV silicone you will want to evacuate(vaccume chamber needed) the mix before you pour this will insure you of having no air bubbles trapped.
I do have left over molds of swampers, chevron beast, and others I could sell you to help make it easier
or I can post pictures of how I made them.
This is what I do for a living if you really want to learn I can help

RCMotorsport
If I can do it so can you all in how bad you want it

bnwhtlw
2007.04.04, 04:17 PM
if I may so rudley interupt this awesome thread to ask if you happen to have any swampers left?
Im pretty sure the answer is no, but let me know either way please. thanx!

jimbo
2007.04.04, 05:00 PM
RCM it would be great if you could post pics of how you made them, i would buy from you but i drained my wallet with the lemo solars so i am trying to sell off a lot of stuff hoping to get enough to buy some trial stuff. thanks for all your help, it doesn't say whether its tin based or platinum based.

Jim
It must be cool doing this for a living.

jimbo
2007.04.04, 05:19 PM
I just remembered that .cooldragon makes tires too but his are silicone. so are his going to be different or is the urethane rubber the same and if not which is better and what should i do.

Jim
I was confused, then i wasn't, now i am really confused.

Edit: RCM if email would be easier look at my profile for my email.

RCMotorsport
2007.04.05, 10:29 AM
From bnwhtlw if I may so rudley interupt this awesome thread to ask if you happen to have any swampers left?
Im pretty sure the answer is no, but let me know either way please. thanx! never say never I will see if I can dig a set out.

it doesn't say whether its tin based or platinum based.
be nice to find out, if you can't or just unsure bake the mold for 30 hours at 150`

In my work silicone is for molds urethane is for the parts using urethane gives you more control and more choices.
I would like to keep all talk in the thread someone else might also learn something.
I will work on getting a how to set up.
keep all your questions coming.

RCMotorsport
only way to find out is to try

jimbo
2007.04.05, 11:31 AM
okay thanks i am on vacation so i will have some time to do some research to find out if its tin based or platinum based. oh and can i make a 2 part mold or is one better?

Jim
So many projects so little time.

bnwhtlw
2007.04.05, 11:34 AM
never say never I will see if I can dig a set out.

I will not ever say never, thanx for the info in this thread and definitly let me know if you find some swampers (or even trackers for that matter). You can email me through the forums or IM me. Whatever works for you. Thanx for checking.

jimbo
2007.04.05, 12:01 PM
RCM with the silicone for the molds, does that have to be put in the vacuum chamber to? will you be will to sell the left over molds and about how much for them?

Jim
Time goes by to quickly.

RCMotorsport
2007.04.05, 04:31 PM
Things that help me when casting
4 foot clean space and level
air compressor to fill the pressure chamber air hoses and parts to add to the chamber
butcher paper it's going to get messy paper makes for easy clean up
pressure chamber pressurized paint can works well
vacuum chamber this is use to evacuation the trapped air in the silicone after mixing if you do not do that your molds might look like Swiss cheese on the inside and would not be usable.
mixing cups
stir stixs
safety glasses
small scale for measuring the casting material
box of rubber gloves
plug outlets

I do have the molds I was using I used one piece molds and cut them open
molds cost about $30.00 each and are used not abused

bnwhtlw
I am sure I can find you something email me RCMotorsport@aol.com and we can talk

RCMotorsport
has been to the next level

jimbo
2007.04.05, 04:51 PM
i emailed the place yesterday and just got a response. it is tin based. they asked me to fill out a form of info they don't need (i put "there is not need for this information") and they told me to smile, i guess i sounded angry. okay so one piece molds are better i guess than 2 piece. What molds do you have?

Jim
School has taken my life away but RC cars are bringing it back.

jimbo
2007.04.05, 05:55 PM
I ran some numbers and came up with not something i would like. If i can use my dads 60 gallon air compressor, that will save my about $250. i think if i can save that $250 i can afford it if i sell a couple of things. about how much do you think it would cost me to start minus the air compressor?

Jim
money is no issue until i have a car.

Neomax
2007.04.05, 07:03 PM
if I may so rudley interupt this awesome thread to ask if you happen to have any swampers left?
Im pretty sure the answer is no, but let me know either way please. thanx!
Hey there, i have some Super swampers, never been used, they are currently on slammed rims for an Xmod truck, but if your interested we could sort something out, let me know.

RCMotorsport
2007.04.05, 10:17 PM
4 foot clean space and level Free
air compressor to fill the pressure chamber air hoses and parts to add to the chamber under $70.00
butcher paper it's going to get messy paper makes for easy clean up maybe for a roll $5.00
pressure chamber pressurized paint can works well $49.99
vacuum chamber this is use to evacuation the trapped air in the silicone after mixing if you do not do that your molds might look like Swiss cheese on the inside and would not be usable can be hard to find but will be under for the pump and you can use the pressure chamber for this $60.00 .
mixing cups $I use dixie one time use $3.00
stir stixs $1.50
safety glasses $1.00
small scale for measuring the casting material $30.00
box of rubber gloves $4.00
plug outlets Free
Silcone for molds $25.00 and Up
Urethane for tires $40.00
Misc stuff as you need like glue plastic sheets for mold making foarm core board for mold boxes tape for the edges of the mold boxes add $20.00 to $40.00

most important you will need to have a master to make molds from

What molds do you have?
Swampers, beast chevron, trackers, military tread, ground hawgs, maybe some proto types.

RCMotorsport
Only live once make the most of it because it will end

jimbo
2007.04.05, 10:49 PM
Crunched those numbers came up with about $350. Looks like i can afford this with selling some of my other RC cars that sit around. i think i can get a compressor for $50 but then i need an air hose. if i can remember the military tires come from this model http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/rvl/rvl03114.htm and i have the swampers so i might buy a chevron mold, tracker, ground hawg, and proto types. Just hate that the mold cost so much.

Jim
Money has become an issue i think i need a tissue. :(

Edit: my dad is letting me use his compressor that saves me money :)

jimbo
2007.04.05, 11:44 PM
i tried looking for a pump couldn't find any thing under $100 or even $150, and i guess i will need like one of those filter things to go over my mouth so i don't breath in the bad fumes. About how much does it cost per set of tires to make, and how much do people wana pay? whats a good release agent? i found out that smooth on requires you to pay $20 more because its a hazard.

Jim

Ninja
2007.04.06, 01:13 AM
whats a good release agent? silicon spray, or vaseline. I have had good experiances with both of these when working with silicon. Never made any tires though.

jimbo
2007.04.06, 02:09 AM
i found another site that does not send via UPS so they do not require a $20 fee that will let the employees know not to drop, etc. but some one i know has a friend that worked for UPS and when it says fragile, do not drop, this side up, etc. they do the complete opposite for their amusement.

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.06, 10:21 AM
You will be looking for a vacuume pump that can pull atleast 25 pounds of negitve pressure, yes can be hard to find in smaller citys keep looking it's there and a used one will be find also.
for rubber tires I do not use any mold release, I would only use mold release at work after a mold starts to stick, I never need to use any doing tires
wd40 is the poormans mold release.

RCMotorsport
Human not by choice

jimbo
2007.04.06, 10:57 AM
I found from doing some research that I can use a food vacuum chamber, still don't get what you mean by a paint can. When I think of paint can i think of the 1 gallon metal paint cans, and I think that would collapse under the pressure. I will probably buy the chevron mold maybe more depending on what my budget lets me do. how many tires can be made in each mold?

Jim

benmlee
2007.04.06, 11:29 AM
Hint:
To keep your expense small, you can get a very good vaccum pump out of an old refrigerator. That is what DIY air conditioning people use to draw a vaccum on the AC system in their cars.

jimbo
2007.04.06, 12:15 PM
I looked on the e bay thinking i was not going to find anything but i did find something. look at item # ********** i am not sure how good that would be. if it is good to start with and maybe later upgrade i will probably get that. RCM what kind of paint can did you use? i was thinking you used a 1 gallon can but wouldn't that collapse? do you think you could send me and email with pics of the proto type tires? thanks

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.06, 04:05 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93119
this is what I use and payed $80.00 for it now on sale for 1/2 price
you are right you will need something made for pressure never ever use any not made to be pressurized......

I looked at that e b a y item I would think the food chamber one sounds better and you can get parts for it easier I bet.

RCMotorsport
Is also a biker

jimbo
2007.04.06, 08:05 PM
Okay i am probably going to get the paint thing sounds little it may be better. the molds you have how many tires can be made from one mold? i am guessing one. and can you post or email me pics of the proto type tires i am very interested in getting a chevron beast mold and possibly proto types if my budget allows me to do so.

sorry for all the questions but what compounds did you use for each tire like the swampers, chevrons, military, tracker, ground hawg, v drive(found in a thread that they were in testing not sure if made into production) and proto types? i just want to get idea on what to use

Jim
To many questions

RCMotorsport
2007.04.06, 09:28 PM
From one mold you might get 30+ tires before it goes maybe more if your real nice to them maybe less, the casting of Silcone and Urethane is never 100% everytime you will run into issues from air bubbles to not cureing.
http://home.comcast.net/~clusterprime/RCMtires.jpg
I will have to dig up some stuff over the weekend and get some new pictures up for you.

RCMotorsport
Self Entertaining

jimbo
2007.04.06, 09:52 PM
okay thanks i am very interested in buying the chevron mold and seeing what the other tires and proto types look like.

Jim

jimbo
2007.04.07, 04:35 PM
sorry for the double post but i was wondering what compounds do you use for each kinda tire, i wana get an idea for what to get. thanks

Jim
How do you fill the hollow tires to make them solid?

RCMotorsport
2007.04.10, 12:18 AM
Here is how I make molds part one
http://home.comcast.net/~clusterprime/tirecast.jpg
Part two will be pouring and cutting open.

RCMotorsport
Not living someone else's Dream

jimbo
2007.04.10, 12:38 AM
cool thanks, but isn't it easier if you lay the tire down on its side and fill up the box with a 1/2 inch of clay and press the tire in pour etc. or are you doing a 1 part mold not 2? which is better?

Jim
Maybe this should be moved to another part of the forum never knew how stupid and how much help i would need.

byebye
2007.04.10, 06:53 AM
I've stickied this thread. I hope it all goes well.

-Byebye

jimbo
2007.04.10, 07:21 AM
cool thanks byebye. This will become very helpful to people.

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.10, 10:19 AM
I like one piece molds makes less of a seam line and a day faster.
there are many ways to do this I am showing Y'all my way.
What I am showing can be adjusted change added to taken away from in any way to make work for you.
Part 2 coming

RCMotorsport
to really learn you must really want

jimbo
2007.04.10, 07:48 PM
A good think to make the box out of is legos very easy to do.

Jim
I really want to learn (this)

cammok5
2007.04.11, 03:48 PM
i cant wait to see part 2. i want to make boggers and ground-hogs so bad.

RCMotorsport - can you poor melted wax into that box you made around the tire for a mold. i know it wont be reuseable but its cheap and i only need to do it 4 times.

RCMotorsport
2007.04.11, 04:12 PM
can you poor melted wax into that box you made around the tire for a mold. i know it wont be reuseable but its cheap and i only need to do it 4 times.
That might work out, the problem I am seeing is that the mold might get damaged or mishapen trying to get the master out of the mold.
As you will see in part 3 when I will be pouring the Urethane you may need to tilt or prod the inside of the mold to relive possiable trapped air if the mold was wax it might get a nik or get mishapen while doing that and the tire will show that and might not be usable.
If you were VERY carful in cutting it open and take great care in not squezing the wax it could work, might work the same way with hard clay.
I am planning on part 2 of this being ready tonight then part 3 by the weekend

RCMotorsport
Is more than meets the Eye

RCMotorsport
2007.04.11, 09:22 PM
First off when using any pressure vessel take EXTREME caution....

This is part 2 Pouring the Silicone and cutting open the mold.
I have found the silicone will act weird when using some plastics like tires found in a model kit to fix any possiable issues use krylon clear coat before you make your mold.

feel free to ask all questions

http://home.comcast.net/~clusterprime/tiremolding.jpg

RCMotorsport
only one way to go UP !!

jimbo
2007.04.13, 05:49 PM
cool i am going to try when i get the stuff a 2 part mold. RCM you use dragon skin as the mold, isn't that !@#$% expensive? i will take a look at it tonight gotta unpack from my 3 day trip to the Catskill mountains.

Jim
did you buy that stuff just for this?

jimbo
2007.04.19, 03:45 PM
Sorry for the double post but do you have any updates RCM.

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.19, 04:01 PM
I will be working the last part today I hope.
after digging around I think I found all the tires molds, I will be trying to sell them let me know if any one wants ready to go molds for swampers, chevrons beast, trackers, and others

RCMotorsport
I may not be as good as I once was
but I am good once as I ever was

cammok5
2007.04.19, 04:49 PM
il take a mold if you got the boggers or something agresive like it and depending on the price

jimbo
2007.04.19, 06:06 PM
OMG i just spent all my money today on a model. email with info on what molds and prices thanks. cammok5 and other people remmber if you are looking into doing this expect to spend $500 unless you already have half the stuff like i do so i am saving about $250. if a couple things sell i can buy the stuff i need and the molds from RCm and make the tires and sell you a set

jimbo
2007.04.20, 07:17 PM
Cammok5 i reread the thread and you asked if you could use wax as a mold if i am correct i think that would deform way to easily when you try to make it air tight when pouring in the urethane but if you get a mold from RCM you are going to need an air compressor, vacuum chamber and vacuum pump because your tires will wear down so you will need to make more.

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.21, 01:41 AM
Remember this is my way you can adjust or change to suit
Feel free to ask any Questions
http://home.comcast.net/~clusterprime/pouring.jpg

RCMotorsport
Water is the key

RCMotorsport
2007.04.21, 01:50 AM
I have some leftover tire molds and resin masters I will sell if any one might want them molds start at $25.00 each more you buy the better I will deal, it's time to clean house.
Yes Jimbo you Get first dibs
http://home.comcast.net/~clusterprime/tiremolds.jpg

RCMotorsport@aol.com

RCMotorsport
having Common Sence is what being smart really is

jimbo
2007.04.21, 07:09 PM
man i wish i could say i would take one of each but i have no money i might have to take a loan from my dad. what do the masters cost? and what would it cost for one of each mold? thanks

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.21, 08:33 PM
I Will give a free master with a mold until masters are gone...

RCMotorsport

jimbo
2007.04.21, 10:44 PM
ok cool i am going to most likely but not definitely be getting a chevron mold and master, i have to see what i can come up with. what do you use to make the masters?

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.22, 01:04 AM
The masters are made of 2 part resin and will not mess up with any types of rubber molds, they are hard, have great details and will last a while.

RCMotorsport
You have little control

jimbo
2007.04.22, 10:01 AM
ok thanks, i am having a garage sale for my brother eagle scout project (boy scout thing) and i am seeing if i can sell some of my old rc cars to get some money to get the mold from you. do the tires fit on xmod car rims? thanks

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.22, 01:12 PM
All tires are made to work with 11mm enzo rear wheels, they have the right offset for overlands, I am sure you can make them work with anything if you want to bad enough.
with one mold you can get 40 tires or more...

RCMotorsport
everything on earth is 100% nature

jimbo
2007.04.22, 04:50 PM
okay i will see what i can do if i can get a mold, hey i am trying to sell an atomicbuilt xmod skyline worth $200 wana trade :). j/k unless you want to.

Jim

mk2kompressor
2007.04.22, 09:29 PM
wow what a thread!!!
i dont know if its the same as a food vacume but ive seen something similar used for removing the air out of fish pellets called a pellet pump you can get them quite big too :)

jimbo
2007.04.22, 10:11 PM
i did not make enough money to buy a mold sadly and surprisingly. if my xmod as i mentioned and my psp sell i can buy one of each maybe all but thats all a dream for now. have you noticed where i live now (joke)

Jim

jimbo
2007.04.22, 11:59 PM
Well i am going to most likely get the molds. i need to e bay a couple of things before i can get the supplies to make the tires. And i have two treads i want to try out and modify.

Jim

jimbo
2007.04.25, 08:42 PM
so RCM if you could just email me your shipping info i can send out the money order tomorrow. thanks for all the help.

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.04.25, 08:54 PM
Jimbo Mail Sent Thank you.
Still have molds with resin masters for SALE to help someone get started.
Swampers
Trackers
Mini Pins
Trades welcome ( love Transformer toys :cool: )
Molds with masters $20.00 each

RCMotorsport
More than meets the eye...

Mods if you feel this mold sale is going agaist fourm rules
please remove, thank you for your time

jimbo
2007.04.25, 10:08 PM
RCM i talked to my dad i think i am getting the BJB stuff from you i need to talk to him again and i will send you an email.\

Jim

mr2guy94
2007.04.25, 10:23 PM
Jimbo: witch ones are you getting?

RCMotorsports: If Jimbo doesn't get them. Would you be interested in a trade for a lemo-solar motor? I have a spare to sell or trade for maybe 2 molds? :D pins and swamper for a lemo-solar?

RCMotorsport
2007.04.25, 11:17 PM
Would you be interested in a trade for a lemo-solar motor? I have a spare to sell or trade for maybe 2 molds? pins and swamper for a lemo-solar?
Sounds cool to me :D rcmotorsport@aol.com

RCMotorsport
If you had only one day to live what would you Do...

jimbo
2007.04.25, 11:36 PM
mr2guy94 i am getting them (one of each) i am going to ask my dad now about getting some urethane and pigment RCM found, my dad also found the lemo solars for $30 from Japan.

Jim
RCM it is a go i will be getting the molds and other stuff for a total of $140. thanks for all your help

jimbo
2007.04.26, 07:22 AM
My dad is sending out the money order today, can't wait for my stuff to come.
Edit: it has been sent ;)

Jim

kingcobra
2007.04.29, 12:47 PM
I have some leftover tire molds and resin masters I will sell if any one might want them molds start at $25.00 each more you buy the better I will deal, it's time to clean house.
Yes Jimbo you Get first dibs
http://home.comcast.net/~clusterprime/tiremolds.jpg

RCMotorsport@aol.com

RCMotorsport
having Common Sence is what being smart really is

can I buy 2 sets of the groundhawgs please??? I REALLY need them! you can email me at minor8057@hotmail.com thanks!

jimbo
2007.04.29, 04:34 PM
well i am buying his ground hog mold and master if RCM doesn't have any i could sell you 2 set when i get the stuff to make them. o and RCM how long do you put the mold in the chamber for the 3 to 5 hours or less.

Jim

MiniZMaster
2007.04.29, 06:09 PM
how much for the super u swampers? for one mold and one master?
golfcarterforlife@yahoo.com

jimbo
2007.04.29, 06:40 PM
i believe they are $25 or $20 for one, can't remember. just and estimate so you know.

Jim

MiniZMaster
2007.04.29, 07:01 PM
My dad makes molds for a living. so im think that he will be able to make some metal molds that are just like these then ill be able to make unlimited tires. its a long shot but he said he think it can be done. what are these molds made out of?

jimbo
2007.04.29, 08:06 PM
they are made out of a two part resin and if you do make molds out of metal it won't be cheap and you will have to make new ones down the road but WAY down because like anything it will wear down but not as fast.

Jim

arch2b
2007.04.29, 08:55 PM
cooldragon out of germany uses metal molds for his tires.

MiniZMaster
2007.04.29, 09:58 PM
it would be nice if i could then i could supply every one with them for cheap. Also try using hot glue instead of rubber! I made a mold out of wax cut it in half took out the tires and casted it in hot glue. and OMG! the tire has so much grip!!! its amazing.

jimbo
2007.04.30, 07:25 AM
I think metal molds might be something i will look into because it might be cheaper in the long run plus it would be quicker, because i won't have to make more molds. and when i asked cooldragon about what he used he didn't say anything about metal molds.

Jim

.cooldragon
2007.05.01, 06:33 AM
I think metal molds might be something i will look into because it might be cheaper in the long run plus it would be quicker, because i won't have to make more molds. and when i asked cooldragon about what he used he didn't say anything about metal molds.

Jim

Hi Jimbo!

I do indeed use different moulds, regarding the materials.

The easiest, cheapest and pretty durable, is casting resin. There are some pretty quick and hard PU Resins you can use to make the mould.

For the Dragon Claws, I had the main mould milled and electro-eroded, in 3 parts (outside/middle/innside) and turned the core in a lathe. Thatīs something I only did, because someone owed me a couple of favors... only the production costs would go otherwiwise far over 2000 dollar :eek:

For prototypes, I do use silicone for the moulds. If yoou cast silicone in a silicon mould, do njo forget to use some separating medium, like vaseline or mould spray, otherwise the fresh silicone will react with the mould and become a part of it: ruined mould (yeah, I sometimes forgot this step......)

there are lost of methods to make tires, just find the best one for you ;)

cd

jimbo
2007.05.01, 07:28 AM
thanks cd i was thinking of metal mold but i guess i should stick to silicone one for now and take one step at a time. RCM the money order should be in your hands today or tomorrow hopefully today.

Jim

jimbo
2007.05.08, 08:19 PM
i was going to email you RCM but i thought this could help other people out, what is a good two part resin to use for the masters? should i get a strong durable one like this http://www.smoothonsecure.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=291_1_10&products_id=63&osCsid=4be6e007b4a52c9994d0ea2b89da2d4c

Jim

RCMotorsport
2007.05.09, 10:15 AM
That looks good and The price is right...

RCMotorsport
only time can tell

jimbo
2007.05.09, 03:26 PM
ok thanks i am probably going to order it soon i want make more masters so i can make more molds at once.

Jim

jimbo
2007.05.19, 11:03 AM
ok i got my chamber and pump a couple of days ago, is there any thing i need to do to the chamber or can i use it as is? and what offset wheels do i need to run the tires?

Jim