PDA

View Full Version : New racers

russp
2007.04.07, 05:38 PM
Today I was out at Discover Mills and we went into the slot-car raceway they have there. While I was there I talked a little with a nice guy who has a few of his own cars he brings there. I told him about our mini-z racing and he seemed interested (he may even check the site and read this post). In any case, it occurred to me that people who like to race the slot cars would be natural fits for mini-z's so next time I'm there I might bring a few flyers to hand to anyone I talk to. I don't want to anger the owners of the shop/raceway of course so it will only be to people I talk to who seem naturally interested but hopefully I will be able to interest a few...

For those of you who have not seen this raceway you really ought to check it out. I believe it's claim is to be the longest 1/32 slot car track in the world. It's pretty sweet. The web site is http://www.jdmodelraceways.com/. A mini-z track that long would be very nice.

imxlr8ed
2007.04.08, 02:26 AM
I know that if someone walked in when I was racing slots oh so many years ago... and showed me a MiniZ, it would've seemed to me that my savior had just arrived! (angels singing, golden beam from above... the usual heavenly jazz)

Seems like a natural progression to me, going from having only throttle control to having everything that racing really is. But in my own experience, many slot racers seem to be content with what they have... I have tried to contact the local crews, but received no replies back whatsoever.

If they only knew what they are missing!

bemoore
2007.04.08, 01:19 PM
This is a subject I believe I can comment on. I've done a LOT more slot racing than RC, and my opinion (and that of other slot racers) is that RC is better in some ways, and slots are better in others. It's not a natural progression to go to RC from slots. So, while RC may be the Holy Grail of hobbies to some, don't expect the same reception from all. However, I think that among the RC world, Mini-Z's have the best chance of converting slot racers, many of whom like the scale aspect and detail of slots, especially 1/32 scale. Mini-Z's come the closest of any of the RC cars to scale accuracy. Many slot racers enjoy the fact that they can have a track in their basement. A Mini-Z track requires about as much real estate as a 1/24 scale commercial track. Not many people can afford that much space. 1/32 tracks are smaller, and HO scale tracks can be MUCH smaller. And as far as the impression of "real" racing, I may actually favor slots. Given that there's no steering, a slot race can involve multiple cars going through the same section of track at a time. Passes are usually much cleaner, but bumping can occur. Of all the RC and slot races I've seen, all the best races have been slots. I haven't given up slots, but right now I'm enjoying the tuning aspects of RC and the closer similarity to 1:1 race cars. Mini-Z's are a lot of fun, but don't expect all slot racers to be ignorant of RC's and just waiting on someone to "illuminate" them.

Also, I would not try recruiting at JD's. I wouldn't appreciate someone coming into my business and pushing something that could be detrimental to my business. If you want to reach local slot racers, try:

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

This is the largest group of local racers on the internet I've found.

russp
2007.04.08, 01:31 PM
This is a subject I believe I can comment on. I've done a LOT more slot racing than RC, and my opinion (and that of other slot racers) is that RC is better in some ways, and slots are better in others. It's not a natural progression to go to RC from slots. So, while RC may be the Holy Grail of hobbies to some, don't expect the same reception from all. However, I think that among the RC world, Mini-Z's have the best chance of converting slot racers, many of whom like the scale aspect and detail of slots, especially 1/32 scale. Mini-Z's come the closest of any of the RC cars to scale accuracy. Many slot racers enjoy the fact that they can have a track in their basement. A Mini-Z track requires about as much real estate as a 1/24 scale commercial track. Not many people can afford that much space. 1/32 tracks are smaller, and HO scale tracks can be MUCH smaller. And as far as the impression of "real" racing, I may actually favor slots. Given that there's no steering, a slot race can involve multiple cars going through the same section of track at a time. Passes are usually much cleaner, but bumping can occur. Of all the RC and slot races I've seen, all the best races have been slots. I haven't given up slots, but right now I'm enjoying the tuning aspects of RC and the closer similarity to 1:1 race cars. Mini-Z's are a lot of fun, but don't expect all slot racers to be ignorant of RC's and just waiting on someone to "illuminate" them.

Also, I would not try recruiting at JD's. I wouldn't appreciate someone coming into my business and pushing something that could be detrimental to my business. If you want to reach local slot racers, try:

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

This is the largest group of local racers on the internet I've found.

Well, I was definitely not going to hand out flyers to just anyone. I just wished yesterday since I naturally was talking to someone I had something with me to give him rather than just giving him a web address to hopefully remember. I will probably try to keep a flyer or two on hand for future purposes. I'm obviously sensitive as I mentioned in my first post to JD's needs as a business but when I'm in a natural conversation with someone it will be nice to have something to reference, no matter where I'm at.

Personally, if I had the funds and time I would do both as I still think 1/32 slot cars have more detail. Speaking of slots, here is a video of the world record slot track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0p_aVujT4&mode=related&search=

russp
2007.04.08, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the link. I didn't realize these guys are literally next door to me. I may pick up a car and occasionally race with them. It's not as exciting as RC to me but the cars look nicer.