PDA

View Full Version : Tire Brand of choice on RCP

soulstice
2007.04.13, 06:23 PM
Hey Guys,

I wanted to place an order for some GPM 8's but given the batch issues a few months back I'm a bit weary. Is the worst of this over? I'll probably get some more Kyosho 20's, just wish they were cheaper.

Since I'm sure the GPM issue has caused many to try new combos or brands I wanted to poll what tires people are using. If you could elaborate why you have decided to use a particular tire(performance, durability, value etc) that would be helpful as well.

Note: I realize some people use different manufacturer front and rears so for the purposes of the polls vote based on the rear but please clarify if you decide to post a reply about your configuration.

Kyosho
GPM
Atomic
PN
Topcad
3Racing
GRP
Shimizu Racing
Xtra Speed

(N=narrow)
(W=wide)
(S=slick)
(R=radial)

soulstice
2007.04.13, 06:30 PM
I'm running the following although i'll probably move to 20's in the front as well.
Front: Kyosho 30NS
Rear: Kyosho 20WR

I'm using these based on what I've read on the boards. They work well, last ok but are a horrible value at $2.25-$2.50 a tire.

Fish
2007.04.13, 09:53 PM
I use GRP foams for my open class MR02, soft rear and medium front. It gives me just enough push to be able take the car closer to the limit. It also forces me to race a cleaner line and drive smoother because I don't have as much 'on-demand' steering at speed. Compared to all the other tires out there, they're relatively expensive, but RCP doesn't seem to eat into them as quickly as it does on rubber tires.

rharris
2007.04.14, 03:51 AM
I like GPM's, but no one seems to have good ones anymore. I like 8 rears and 15 fronts.

Anyone know where I can get 8 gpm rears that are actual 8's?

hpgod
2007.04.16, 10:59 AM
based on my testing
gpm8/kennon 8 rears with atomic 20/pn18s fronts on a mro1 rm worn down with slight re-grooves in them. Hard springs front and rear

2nd rear tire choice is atomic 10s glued, worm the 10s wear fast. tread worn down and regrooved slightly. The rubber is so soft tape.glue is needed

kyosho 20s front and rear are balanced with ok grip with a medium front spring. The wear is very little thus why I use them for the day to day practice runs.

gpm 15 rears are terrible.
All brands work better after being scuffed in.

imxlr8ed
2007.04.16, 09:06 PM
I'm running Kyosho 20s and GPM 8s on the rear lately. Some cars seem to require the Kyosho 20s on the back, while others can go either way. My Enzo really snapped to life with the 20s though... much smoother now.

We do have a very high traction RCP here though... might be more forgiving than other tracks.

ChattavegasSE
2007.04.16, 09:07 PM
I had a helluva set-up with some mis-labelled GPM's, 8's up front, 10's in the back I think. Then they wore out and I never got that same grip again. I'm pretty close now, with Atomic AW Groove 10* narrow in the front and 10* wide in the rear. They tend to wear rather quickly; but the balance and grip suits my driving style, so I don't mind buying extra sets every couple weeks. :p

imxlr8ed
2007.04.16, 09:11 PM
I had a helluva set-up with some mis-labelled GPM's, 8's up front, 10's in the back I think. Then they wore out and I never got that same grip again. I'm pretty close now, with Atomic AW Groove 10* narrow in the front and 10* wide in the rear. They tend to wear rather quickly; but the balance and grip suits my driving style, so I don't mind buying extra sets every couple weeks. :p

Did you soak the "mislabels" in WD40 yet? I did this with mine and they really work now and only required a re-soaking after about 2 or 3 months of use. I soak them in the stuff for around an hour or so, then dry them with a paper towel. I even soaked some of my ancient, semi-dry rotted tires for a bit and they came back to life as well.

TheRinger
2007.04.16, 10:04 PM
I also had problems with GPM ordering 8 degrees and they end up being 40 degrees labled 8 degree on the package. So I've been using 20 degree kyosho radials and slicks mainly on my awd's front and rear. I still use what I know are 8 degree GPM's on my mr02's on the rear and currently use kyosho 20 degree slicks on the front and seems to work good. I think I'm going to try atomic 10's and see how they work. Has anyone had problems with atomic tires?

hobbycar
2007.04.16, 10:51 PM
I've personally found the Kyosho 20s to last pretty long and think that this fact somewhat offsets the slight cost premium over the other tires that wear out faster.

I use the Kyosho 20 Radials both front and rear. I like the thought of my front and rear tires having the same characteristics (e.g. how they warm up over the course of a race) but don't know if this makes any real difference or not.

Other guys in our club seem to like Kyosho 30s in the front with Kyosho 20s in the rear. And some like the Kyosho slicks better than the Kyosho radials.

-hobbycar

rharris
2007.04.30, 04:23 PM
I've personally found the Kyosho 20s to last pretty long and think that this fact somewhat offsets the slight cost premium over the other tires that wear out faster.

I use the Kyosho 20 Radials both front and rear. I like the thought of my front and rear tires having the same characteristics (e.g. how they warm up over the course of a race) but don't know if this makes any real difference or not.

Other guys in our club seem to like Kyosho 30s in the front with Kyosho 20s in the rear. And some like the Kyosho slicks better than the Kyosho radials.

-hobbycar

I just picked up some of the kyosho 20's front and rear. Is everyone at your club using Kyosho now? What is onrails using?

You guys are all turning 90+ laps to my 85, so the Kyosho rubber must work.

Just for fun, I'm also going to try the atomic racing grooved tires as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

pinoyboy
2007.04.30, 04:41 PM
You guys probably won't believe this but i've switched from GPMs--->Pn racing--->Atomic--->3Racing.

The 3racing tires are working awesome for my mr-02. They're rated as 10 degress I think. I put them on both front and rear on 2 of my MR-02s and they both hook up really well.

I don't have to go around tire hunting and testing different tire setups. Plus, you can't beat the price, 1 pack comes with 2 sets of front and rears for about the same price as one set of Atomic tires. ;)

Another cool thing is they make a distinct sound when running on RCP, kinda hard for me to describe though :p

soulstice
2007.04.30, 06:11 PM
i moved to kyosho slick 20 degree front + slick 20 degree rears recently from a slick 30 front + radial 20 rear setup and love the way the car is gripping to the RCP.

I'll have to try the 3racing ones but i'm glad I finally have a combo that suits me.

hobbycar
2007.04.30, 07:16 PM
I just picked up some of the kyosho 20's front and rear. Is everyone at your club using Kyosho now? What is onrails using?

You guys are all turning 90+ laps to my 85, so the Kyosho rubber must work.

Just for fun, I'm also going to try the atomic racing grooved tires as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm pretty sure most of us are using Kyosho Radials 20s for both front and rear.

Onrailz uses Kyosho 30 front and Kyosho 20 rear. I'm not sure if he's using Radials or Slicks on his actual HFAY OLPS car but I do know he likes the slicks.

-hobbycar

will3kgt
2007.04.30, 07:53 PM
I also use Kyosho 20s all around. I also like PN 8R and 15F.

Hood
2007.04.30, 10:37 PM
GPM 8s with Kysoho 20 Radial Fronts..

rharris
2007.05.01, 12:05 AM
I just got back from testing tires. The Atomic racing grooved tires do not work on RCP.

The Kyosho's 20deg radials work pretty good. I used 20deg radials front and rear. I had to clean the rears with motor cleaner to get them to hook up. I switched to some old 20deg gpm's up front and the car seemed to settle in. I think I can fix this issue with a change in setup, but I didn't have the parts or the time. I'm think I'm too stiff in the back for the kyosho's. Also, 1 deg camber up front seems like too much now.

I've been hearing through the grapevine that PN is in the final stages of R and D for their new tires. I can't wait for them to come out.

rharris
2007.05.01, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty sure most of us are using Kyosho Radials 20s for both front and rear.

Onrailz uses Kyosho 30 front and Kyosho 20 rear. I'm not sure if he's using Radials or Slicks on his actual HFAY OLPS car but I do know he likes the slicks.

-hobbycar

Thanks. Knowing that the tires work for other guys gives me the confidence to trust the tire and fiddle with the setup to get things rite. I think I'm in the 30deg front camp. I'll try that next.

Programmers
2007.05.01, 06:36 AM
I use GPM
8 Rear
10 Front

TheRinger
2007.05.01, 09:18 PM
Recently I've been racing an mr105 with a porcshe 935 body and kyosho 30 degree radials front and rear and they work OK, A little push but OK. I found running kyosho 30 radials front and 20's in the rear pushes too much for me, but that's just me.

GrfxDan
2007.05.01, 10:49 PM
I've actually found that GPM 8s in the front and rear work great on my MA-010. The only complaint I would have is that they wear out too fast. I put fresh tires on for the HFAY races this past weekend and they're already shot. I'll have to put new tires on again the next time I run. GPM 8s all around give me great traction, though. The car feels super stable, is very predictable and very easy to control.

TALLGEESE
2007.05.02, 10:38 PM
Like others on here I like the Kyosho 20 degree slicks in the front, and wide Kyosho 20 degree slicks for the rear... I'm thinking about experimenting w/ribbed GPM 8 degrees in the back just to see if I can get even more grip though, but I'm really happy w/the Kyosho's overall.. They last a long time for me and suit my driving style.... I'm also looking forward to trying the new P&N tires made just for the RCP tracks...

pinoyboy
2007.05.05, 08:05 PM
Just wanted to update that I also tested my MA-010 on the local RCP track with 3 racing tires on the front and back. Went up on the SAS spring hardness and now it handles better than ever. No chatter or rolling :D

I would never expected the MA-010 to act right with 10 deg tires on the front and rear, but it did and I have no problems with that! :p

Now 2 of my mr-02s and my MA-010 have 3 racing tires all around. I would do it with my other mr-02, but the foams i'm using are doing the job and are keeping the foams rear planted with the 38T motor.

TheRinger
2007.05.05, 09:49 PM
Where can I find 3racing tires?

pinoyboy
2007.05.05, 09:51 PM
Where can I find 3racing tires?
I get them from a US vendor on ebay. I would definately buy them from here if they were stocked though ;)

arch2b
2007.05.05, 10:49 PM
I get them from a US vendor on ebay. I would definately buy them from here if they were stocked though ;)
can you post the part numbers? i will pass these on for 3racing restock;)

pinoyboy
2007.05.05, 11:23 PM
can you post the part numbers? i will pass these on for 3racing restock;)

front tire set AWD-07
rear tire set AWD-08
:D

arch2b
2007.05.06, 07:50 AM
thanks, request posted :)

will3kgt
2007.05.06, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to update that I also tested my MA-010 on the local RCP track with 3 racing tires on the front and back. Went up on the SAS spring hardness and now it handles better than ever. No chatter or rolling :D

I would never expected the MA-010 to act right with 10 deg tires on the front and rear, but it did and I have no problems with that! :p

Now 2 of my mr-02s and my MA-010 have 3 racing tires all around. I would do it with my other mr-02, but the foams i'm using are doing the job and are keeping the foams rear planted with the 38T motor.
I've used 3racing 10s all the way around also. They're great! However they do wear out fast! (Then again when you race as much as I do 40s would wear out fast too :o ).

albkirk
2007.08.11, 03:29 AM
Is anyone using Atomic and Iwaver tyres?!

well... I do! Atomic AW 30 (wide) on the rear and Iwaver 40 slick (narrow) on front.

Iwaver on the front gives you a real smooth feeling and its grip is good.

I also tried GPM 8 (the real 8!). They are good but they lost their carateristics in few laps. The atomic tyres last for many, many laps.

Most of the time, GPM tyres are not 8! I found a lot of 10 re-named to 8!!! I won't buy GPM products anymore!

Roger
2007.09.16, 05:13 PM
Interesting thread and very informative. As we know, there are alot of different tires with different durometer readings and tread designs. This what I use for RCP and Gray mat surfaces:

1) New RCP: Kyosho 20's all the way around
2) Old RCP: Atomic or Kyosho 20's on front and GPM 8's in the rear
3) Gray Mat: Atomic 20's on the front and Atomic (non-AW pattern) 20's in the rear.

DeOz
2007.09.18, 01:45 PM
For a MA-010 you just canít seem to be the stock rubber that comes with the kit. After that is gone all bets are off hahaha.

- Dana