PDA

View Full Version : Removing anodizing from aluminum parts

Faze
2007.04.28, 07:12 PM
I read in one of Pchano's post that you could use Easy Off Oven Cleaner to remove anodizing from aluminum parts, so I decided to try it.

What you need:

-Easy Off Oven Cleaner
-Plastic bowl
-Rubber gloves
-Tooth brush
-Some kind of metal polish

Important***Don't use tinfoil like I did, because the tinfoil began to smoke and the oven cleaner burned through it. Try not to get it on your skin either.***

First, I put the part in a bowl:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/faze91/Picture401-2.jpg

Second, I sprayed some oven cleaner on the part:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/faze91/Picture402-2.jpg

After about two minutes or so the anodizing started to come off and the white oven cleaner was turning a shade of blue.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/faze91/Picture403-1.jpg

I took the part out and scrubbed the rest of the anodizing off:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/faze91/Picture404-1.jpg

Once you clean your part off it will be a very dull shade of grey silver. This is where the polish comes in. Once polished your part should look like this:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/faze91/Picture405-1.jpg

Before and After:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/faze91/Picture.jpg

Cheers!

bnwhtlw
2007.04.28, 07:23 PM
Or get this stuff and its alot less work.

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/buffing_compounds2.html
Scroll down

Faze
2007.04.28, 07:24 PM
My way: $4

Your way: $12 +8.95 for shipping
;)

short
2007.04.28, 08:03 PM
some even better than oven cleaner called Greased Lightning auto and shop cleaner degreaser works awesome less smelly than oven cleaner can get it at Wally World (Walmart) in the auto section you use it the same way

Spoon
2007.04.28, 08:30 PM
It all depends on how much your time is worth. ;)

That $12 tub of remover is probably enough to take the anodizing off of every alloy Mini-Z part ever made.

Programmers
2007.04.29, 05:53 AM
Great topic, thanks for sharing!

Faze
2007.04.29, 09:13 AM
Thanks Programmers!!!

Here is a picture of what happened to the tinfoil:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/xoxide/Picture412.jpg

Programmers
2007.04.29, 12:12 PM
What would you suggest we use instead?

Faze
2007.04.29, 01:41 PM
Read my first post.

bnwhtlw
2007.04.29, 09:17 PM
Ive never had that kind of luck with the easy off stuff. I wonder if the tin foil (or was it aluminum) foil helped the process any? I always just put it in a cup, but it never came out clean.

HammerZ
2007.04.29, 11:09 PM
Important***Don't use tinfoil like I did, because the tinfoil began to smoke and the oven cleaner burned through it. Try not to get it on your skin either.***

Very good advise, I would add to do this outside as the fumes can be very bad. Looking at the pictures it look's like it was done outside.

I did my ond Megatech wheels this way, they started off purple but now with a raw aluminum look to them now.

PaulBoth
2007.04.30, 08:46 AM
Just go to your local dollar store and buy a cheap pot, big enough to hold your parts.

Usually the organic dyes come out very easy, It's the 2 stage parts that take a lot of work (time) to come clean. Basically, it will all depend on the quality of the dye and the amount of etching time the anodizing company used/did.

And don't use orginary latex gloves... make sure you use chemical resistant gloves.

PB

Faze
2007.04.30, 06:15 PM
I used 3racing knuckles for the MA-010 if anyone wanted to know. I don't know what process of anodizing there parts they do, but someone else might.

Btw, I used the Heavy Duty Easy Off. I heard the scented kind doesn't work.

soulstice
2008.04.03, 05:05 PM
I'm gonna try this out tomorrow.

So as Faze or anyone else if you could confirm . . .

- Heavy Duty Easy Off - nonscented
- Chemical resistant latex gloves
- plastic bowl
- old toothbrush
- Metal polish

Questions . . . .
1. has anyone tried using the Greased Lightning on PN parts? I might want to use this instead of oven cleaner.
2. Any recommendations on what metal polish to buy?

soulstice
2008.04.04, 11:18 AM
Can anyone weigh in on the questions i posted above?

VAzRACER
2008.04.04, 01:00 PM
Hey soulstice, I cant say for sure but I have been told a few times in the past that oven cleaner does remove anodizing. I will be getting some to try out on a set of gold inck up wheels hopfully this weekend, if I do I'll let you know the results.

CristianTabush
2008.04.05, 03:00 AM
Easy off works great, but eye on using it on knuckles such as the 3racing ones. By removing the anodizing, you are removing its hardening properties as well. Those knuckles will never be as smooth again unless polished. The problem is the polishing on the surface will become rough after just a few runs. I learned about this the hard way :(

On all the other parts, like motor mounts, upper covers and even ball diff casings, this should not hurt performance, although they will scratch easier.

soulstice
2008.04.05, 09:29 PM
Okay, I actually got around to doing this. Mixed feelings about the results.

I actually did quite a few parts, PN, Atomic, and 3 Racing. I'm not sure my results are indicative of all parts made from these manufacturers but I'll share nonetheless.

PN RACING
- 98mm extension
- came out smooth and shiny

ATOMIC
- AWD Motor Heatsink
- rough finish but uniform

3RACING
- AWD Motor Heatsink
- rough and splotchy

I kinda wish I had known this beforehand. Maybe I need to let the parts that didn't turn out good, soak longer but we'll see.

marc
2008.04.06, 10:38 AM
Soulstice, some pictures would be nice.

marc
2008.04.06, 03:52 PM
Has anybody tried the special spray-paint that is supposed to give an anodized finished to metals? I've seen it at WalMart and other such places, but have not yet tried it yet. THey have gold, green, red, and I think blue and purple. For those who have removed their anodized finished, I'd like to see theme try this paint and let us know of their results.

VAzRACER
2008.04.07, 05:10 PM
Has anybody tried the special spray-paint that is supposed to give an anodized finished to metals? I've seen it at WalMart and other such places, but have not yet tried it yet. THey have gold, green, red, and I think blue and purple. For those who have removed their anodized finished, I'd like to see theme try this paint and let us know of their results.

Ive seen this but it is just paint, it doesnt actually anodize metal.

There was a place around where I live that did anodizing, it was something like 70 or 80 dollars. They gave you a bin to fill up and whatever you could fit in there they would anodize. I have never been to the place, a friend told me about it. The only problem doing it that way is you can only anodize everything one color. Ive also seen do it yourself kits sold in catalogs, I think in Eastwood, an automotive/bodyshop resource. May you could try their website.

marc
2008.04.25, 04:05 PM
Hi there, I just started de-anodyzing an alloy motor mount. How long should I leave it in to soak?

ub0211042
2008.04.25, 04:25 PM
Hi there, I just started de-anodyzing an alloy motor mount. How long should I leave it in to soak?

about 5-10 min...

Davey G
2008.04.25, 06:37 PM
I'm gonna try this out tomorrow.

So as Faze or anyone else if you could confirm . . .

- Heavy Duty Easy Off - nonscented
- Chemical resistant latex gloves
- plastic bowl
- old toothbrush
- Metal polish

Questions . . . .
1. has anyone tried using the Greased Lightning on PN parts? I might want to use this instead of oven cleaner.
2. Any recommendations on what metal polish to buy?

- Heavy Duty-none of that breathe easy crap. Has to be the original stuff :eek:
- Tin pan like what Pies are made in, or bread loaf pans is what I use
- Old tooth brush, just watch it though, the bristles will melt pretty quick
- Mothers metal polish, or Never Dull Wadding

Grease lightening works well on all anodizing, dont leave it on too long, I learned this the hard way, I deanodized my sinister and it pitted the metal (stupid me left it on for 8 hrs)

hope this helps...

marc
2008.04.25, 08:17 PM
Thank's guy's. Here's how my motor mount look's so far. You can still see some blue left in it. Do I need to put it in the Oven cleaner stuff again to completely remove the blue? It's an ITCH to polish this thing.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC07601.jpg

marc
2008.10.02, 11:08 AM
This method seems like it'll be easier on flat peices rather than complex items. I never did finish polishing that motor mount as it was to complex. I am tempted to do the front steering plates on my Dnano's as they are nice and flat peices. Should be very easy to polish.

paul_england
2008.10.04, 10:02 AM
some cillit bang will do the job lmao.

marc
2008.10.04, 10:05 AM
Some what???????

mikedw
2008.10.04, 10:39 AM
cillit bang is basically easy off bam in north america.

marc
2008.10.04, 11:10 AM
Oh okay. I used Easy Off oven cleaner on that motor mount. Worked great on removing the anodyzed color on 98% of it. But as the part was so complex in angles, crevices and what not, it was too difficult to totally clean up and polish. I think this process works better on flatter surfaces, or less complicated parts.