PDA

View Full Version : HFAY OLPS Formula 1 Class (judging interest)

briankstan
2007.05.01, 11:25 PM
We are enteraining the Idea of adding F1 Racing to the existing HFAY format.

Chassis: Mini-Z F1
Motor: Possible PN sponsor motor (more details later)

Please vote in the poll and let us know if you would be intersted in Racing your F1's in HFAY.

We would possible set up a sperate points series for this class. So the format would end up being very similiar to the current OLPS. Not sure on Prizes at this point, but it's something we can work on.

imxlr8ed
2007.05.02, 10:15 AM
Here's the deal for my "would love to" vote,

I don't think I'll be able to convince a single racer in my club to run F1s on just 2 Wide Ls... just wouldn't seem right. I could see a minimum of 4 Wide Ls. I'm in no way trying to be exclusionary to those with limited space... it's just that, it just seems right to run a larger layout with these cars.

Like I said in the previous thread... I could easily see a year long event in the background of most clubs regular HFAY schedule. I don't care if it's just 1 race every 2 months, it'll still be more than what we currently have.
Plus... if it's a Big Layout Event, it would probably be no big deal to get some other racer classes in as well. (Mod and Stock)

And of course there's always the issue of "Brian overload"... I don't want to be the reason for his pending nervous breakdown with all these results to process. If it's too much, don't fry your brain fets trying to do too much at once. (but he did offer himself freely in the beginning... didn't he ? :D )

Just getting my ideas out there again. ;)

arch2b
2007.05.02, 11:05 AM
i agree, additional classes do not have to follow the existing spec hfay class.

each class could be a bit differnet and i think woulld benifit by being a bit different.

i was invisioning us eventually having mulitple classes running simultaneously with differing rules and tracks. that was my little vision though, not necessarily one that may be shared by others.

another interesting idea (to go to antoher thread i'm sure;) ) would be to shadow the pn regionals and finals. this could be a seperate hfay class/event possibly sponsored and coordinated with/by pn.

rkk
2007.05.02, 05:30 PM
We run F-1s every time we meet. The HFAY tracks are still great with F-1, but we do run larger tracks every other time we race.

briankstan
2007.05.02, 06:46 PM
this is what I envision.

Stock Class: this is what we are currentlly running.

F1 Class: Run on larger tracks, with possibly a different spec motor than the existing HFAY stock motor (pending Sponsorship, mor on that later)

Large track format: Stock class cars running on the same larger tracks that the F1's will be running. We would keep the rules the same for these tracks as the stock track, so the same car can compete in both.

I envison a format that could be run universal for, both HFAY season and could double as Club points races for those clubs that have them. Basically we would set the format for all small scales racing going on. At least for the clubs that participate.

We could have people submit track designs using a given track standard so we know that we would have the most # of partipants (clubs) able to compete.

rharris
2007.05.03, 12:26 AM
another interesting idea (to go to antoher thread i'm sure;) ) would be to shadow the pn regionals and finals. this could be a seperate hfay class/event possibly sponsored and coordinated with/by pn.

The PN regionals are going to kick off very soon. Keep an eye on the PN web site. I always thought it would be cool to set up the exact track from the World cup and have our club test our metal against the big boys times.

rharris
2007.05.03, 12:37 AM
What about a one time event where you compare times across the country?

Just like the points series, but just one race.

There is one layout for all clubs. There is a deadline to get your times in. There are fixed rules for the event. Maybe even hand out motors for each class? Each club runs it just like a regional event. In fact, they are regional events.

There is a winner at each club, for each heat. Clubs could charge a small entry fee to cover prizes. Winners are posted on the HFAY site for each club, Maybe even pics of the winners holding their prizes.

Then all the times are sorted for each event and the overall winners are chosen based on laps and times. The winners are named the HFAY World Cup Champions.

The cool thing is... it would really be a world cup.

This type of thing would make great press for the RC rags and sponsors would love it. Imagin, the first ever internet based international Mini-Z world Cup.

Thoughts?

briankstan
2007.05.03, 06:54 AM

There is one layout for all clubs. There is a deadline to get your times in. There are fixed rules for the event. Maybe even hand out motors for each class? Each club runs it just like a regional event. In fact, they are regional events.

There is a winner at each club, for each heat. Clubs could charge a small entry fee to cover prizes. Winners are posted on the HFAY site for each club, Maybe even pics of the winners holding their prizes.

Then all the times are sorted for each event and the overall winners are chosen based on laps and times. The winners are named the HFAY World Cup Champions.

This type of thing would make great press for the RC rags and sponsors would love it. Imagin, the first ever internet based international Mini-Z world Cup.

Thoughts?

interesting. I can see this happening. Maybe we should start a seperate thread on this.

I'll be back later tonight and if someone else hasn't started it I will. gotta go to work.

will3kgt
2007.05.03, 06:24 PM

Thoughts?
I like this idea alot.

hobbycar
2007.05.03, 08:59 PM
A big one race event sounds very cool.

Two of the biggest questions are how many RCP Wide Ls will we use (I'm thinking 3 or 4) and what dimensions of floor space does everyone have.

I think we (Ann Arbor) could possibly do a 9 RCP tile by 16 RCP tile track. We may be able to do one wider (e.g. 9x18) but that eats even more into our pit space area.

Also does everyone have the ability to video the race and put it up online (I use a $180 digital camera to take the videos of our races)?

-hobbycar

rharris
2007.05.03, 10:51 PM
Sorry I hijacked this thread. I've started a new thread to discuss the possibility of a world/national cup.

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=264112#post264112

Back on topic.

I really want to run the F1 in the series, but I don't have enough guys. I only have two guys at our club (me and Jeff) and no one else is interested rite now.

Maby after the PN regional we'll pick up a few new guys with F1's

Davey Jones
2007.05.03, 11:20 PM
We have race F-1 for the 1st half of this year. Its part of our club points.
We race a lg track and HFAY track and we race clock and counterclock.
We have 8 to 12 that race F-1s. We even set up a track that was 300ft
long that was our largest track yet and we still had track left over.
Trey from Houston talk about a lg HFAY track. I think we should put some
lg track Ideas up for a vote.

imxlr8ed
2007.05.03, 11:47 PM
Remember this ?...

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23027&page=1&pp=15&highlight=big+layout+event

Our previous "Big Track" event thread... I know DOW and Stafford participated, but I don't think we ever got to see the results. I've got an image on there of our maximum space available at our DOW facility too. (A little more room than that really, but it is a very basic track with some expansion tiles)

I guess I'm just looking to start a legacy of tracks here... something the clubs would "visit" once every 2 months to throw some times down. F1 would really just be a part of it... I'm sure if we went through all the trouble of setting it up, it would be a waste to not have Mod and Stock classes running on it as well.

I'm still leaning towards 6 layouts, 2 month participation time frame for clubs to put their times down on them, same point scale as the current OLPS. Season will be a year long.

It seems to me that it would just make it more interesting if my club was to "visit" a named layout once in a while... like, hey guys... we're going to be racing Laguna next week... so be ready to go!

I think one of the coolest aspects of this would be to have large layouts that would never change, standard large layouts for this scale... that way we could develop a very good history of data to compare years down the road. We would have tracks we could always set up when the time comes, and see how fast we really are. (I've heard some of those last few words somewhere before.. :rolleyes: )

I fully expect to see someone in a future Mod class break a track record that stood for 4 years with their homebuilt, carbon chassied, brushless, lipo, AWD, lexan bodied beast. (yes... when I say Mod, I mean MOD !)

I'm also thinking that if a club does any kind of exhibition event, outside their usual haunts, they could use one of the Big Tracks (the one on the schedule at that time), and show everyone there what HFAY is really all about right there before their eyes.

No other scale can accomplish this type of event... damn I love Mini Zs! :D

pinwc4
2007.05.04, 09:24 AM
First off, I think this would be a good addition to HFAY OLPS. But I do not think anyone within our club would participate. We are a relatively new club and none of us have F1's and I doubt many of us want to add another car to the collection just yet.

I hope we see the HFAY OLPS expand beyond the current class and track.

imxlr8ed, we participated in that large track also. I always kinda wondered what happened with that. I was hoping to see it become a regular addition like what has been mentioned.

arch2b
2007.05.04, 10:07 AM
for clarity sake, lets keep the large events to another thread;)

as far as an f1 class, naturally there will be less participanets as the f1's in general are a niche class. i do belive however that it could be just as successful and rewarding as the existing spec class. we include f1 in our club points series and we would love to simply use this as to serve both purposes.

f1 groups are a very loyal bunch;) very competitive as well. it would be very nice to have something to allowed them to enjoy the same global competition offered thru the current spec class.

i propose we use s4 to develope rules and website changes needed to incorporate an f1 class. incidentially we could use the same time to develope the large track class(s) as well. i think 6+ months is a doable time frame.

briankstan
2007.05.05, 12:03 PM
the large track events not getting posted was completely my fauly. that was the same time I switched jobs and my schedule got a little busy.

I agree we should develope this over the next few months and get everything ready to go "live" in Season 5.

rharris
2007.05.06, 12:46 AM
SRC is in.

I talked to 2 other F1 guys at the Kenon track today. They said they may be into it, but they both live pretty far from me.

I'm pretty sure I can find the minimum 3 drivers per month.

TheRinger
2007.07.08, 08:36 PM
Question, will it be 3010 fets and hfay motor? If so I will have to buy another F1 for this.

Programmers
2007.07.09, 04:01 AM
I would love to do an F1 HFAY. :)