PDA

View Full Version : Overland home garden track - can the overland take it?

Digisane
2007.05.10, 11:00 AM
Hi guys, been a long time since I've been here.. (quite nearly 4 years since I last actively participated)

First a bit of some sad news, where I am the Mini-z scene has pretty much dried up since everything is now getting costlier and 'unnecessary' recreational hobbies are being put aside. Add to that the shop I frequent has now closed because the (really old) building they reside in is due to demolition and rebuild, and not reopening anytime soon. And they are not really sure if they'll move back once the building has been rebuilt and continue operating either.

So I now have 2 mr-01s which have basically sat in my shelf collecting dust because work has become proirity and then the track is closed, and nobody to really race with, not to mention no suitable place to run them well either.

Since I have a fairly big garden I am now thinking of purchasing an Overland or two and making a garden track - one that is full of flowers and stuff but with a track made of small stones running through them. I can add small bridges and so on.. so this should be a fun project, and one that I can enjoy on my own.

My question is that do the Overlands do well over stoney tracks? By which I mean made by laying down lots of stones on the ground in a pattern and that's basically it. Or do I have to do some basic upgrading to the shocks to take this extra punishment? Will stones or pebbles break traction too much on small inclines since they're not 4wd? And I know this question has been asked, are 4wd Overlands coming out?

Also, maybe thinking of getting an AWD Lancia rally car for it too if they work on small stones.

Looking forward to some answers.

arch2b
2007.05.10, 11:14 AM
given teh right modifications, an overland will do well. you may be more intersted for trail driving to check out threads here for the xmods evo truck and modifications to those. now that these are almost on clearance pretty much it might be a more attractive solution?

Digisane
2007.05.10, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your prompt reply Arch2B! However, the shops here only carry Overland and not xmods, so that option is pretty much out... but if you think they'll work well on a pebble track even on steep inclines I'll set about to go get them, been thinking of making big fun track that looks like a garden...

arch2b
2007.05.10, 11:36 AM
look into threads by dogbreath and rcm. at the very least you will need to possibly modify the suspension and wheel/tire choice.

there is a good xmods thread by avant worth reading as well;)

Digisane
2007.05.10, 12:17 PM
look into threads by dogbreath and rcm. at the very least you will need to possibly modify the suspension and wheel/tire choice.

there is a good xmods thread by avant worth reading as well;)

Yup I saw those posts. Very nice.

hrdrvr
2007.05.10, 02:21 PM
Also, I think Greenstem has some videos floating around of his xtruck and overland on a garden track. Ive got to run to thhe dentist :eek: so I dont have time to search them out. I did a quick search and only came up with some old pics of his garden track. If You havent found tham by tom, Ill find them for you. They could give you ideas for a garden track, and about how much terrain the OLs can take.

MiniZMaster
2007.05.10, 02:22 PM
An Overland with a LSSM shock mod will go over rocks great. theres on for sale in the BST area that has the bigger lego tires that would be great. Search LSSM and you should find a TUT to do it.

Digisane
2007.05.11, 09:33 PM
hrdrvr, I can't seem to find the vids you mentioned, are they on youtube?

Thanks for all the advice.