PDA

View Full Version : Steering problems

beanie
2007.05.12, 11:06 PM
My steering servo locks up to one side all of a sudden. How can this be fixed? Another one of my MR-01's will turn left but not right. Any tips sure would help as im used to x-mods

jbevins
2007.05.13, 09:46 AM
the steering problem could be a couple things 1) check servo gears, since your running a MR-01 they don't have a servo saver so the gears can break very easily, if gears are ok check to make sure you have nothing in the gears to cause binding if so clean them, then 2) check your steering pot, make sure it's seated properly. I know some of the guys here have had problems before and some have even tried cleaning them, me personally I've never had one go bad but that's not saying that can't

motospyder
2007.05.13, 11:26 AM
At the front of your steering servo, inside the case, there is a black ring. This ring helps to control the servo motor by way of electromagnetic positioning. Make sure that the magnet ring is placed correctly in the servo, and also that it is securely set. Also make sure the wires that attatch to it are soldered on firmly.

Spyder

Draconious
2007.05.13, 01:16 PM
The black ring is a potentiometer and not a magnetic device... it causes resistance... and the amount of resistance is were it possitions the servo.

It is possible the slot on the servo gears/pot is not aligned propperly however I think your problem is stripped servo gears. The MR01 does not have a servo saver, so it is easy to strip the gears from impacts, steering hard, etc... You should be able to find a set of servo gears for like $5.00.

Also possible a wire to the servo broke, and needs to be re-soldered on.

motospyder
2007.05.13, 03:48 PM
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me draconius. I have been away from Z's for a while. Dont know where i got that. But, I once had a problem like that and my potentiometer was to blame.

beanie
2007.05.13, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys. From the replies It sounds like its the round thing in the fromt of the gears. There are no broken teeth in the gears and every thing is soldered good. What was confusing me is when I turn the TX off the steering goes cazy and is no longer in a bind. As soon as I turn the TX back on the steering locks up.

motospyder
2007.05.14, 11:18 PM
Its gotta be the potentiometer then. Either that or the wires soldered on to it.

Spyder

beanie
2007.05.15, 07:32 AM
Well Spyder, it wasn't any of the above. While I was busy with the car my daughter messed with the remote. Once I started playing with the remote and reseting my setting everything started working agian.

herman
2007.05.15, 10:13 PM
glad to hear its fixed... nothing like having a busted z.... :D

would kinda be a bit pissed though to disassemble the chassis, open the servo casing, checking the servo gears, only to find out that the problem was the steering trim...

if you can, try getting an alloy first servo gear... it'll be bullet proof (well almost)

motospyder
2007.05.15, 10:38 PM
Heh... Like I told the first poster on my thread, its a good thing to start simple and get gradually more complicated. I just suggested the potentiometer because I had a similar problem and that was the culprit.

Spyder

herman
2007.05.15, 11:00 PM
so.... are there any tracks up there in upstate ny? my brother in law lives on long island...

beanie
2007.05.16, 07:39 AM
glad to hear its fixed... nothing like having a busted z.... :D

would kinda be a bit pissed though to disassemble the chassis, open the servo casing, checking the servo gears, only to find out that the problem was the steering trim...

if you can, try getting an alloy first servo gear... it'll be bullet proof (well almost)

Where can I find those servo gears? When I did open the servo I did have some broken teeth so it wasn't all in vein.

HammerZ
2007.05.16, 05:19 PM
I have had good luck with my MR01 servo so far. I have tried to stay away from the alloy steering bars, as I think that is the #1 killer of MR01 servo gears. I do agree with using the plastic version of that part. I also used #1000 sandpaper to clean the flash off the back of the servo gears (stock plastic), this keeps the gears from locking up and snapping from a hard hit to a wall or other car. A little wipe with grease or petrolium jelly to clean off the dust, also adds a little cushion to the gears. I have knocked the rod off the gears a few times, and the gears live to run another day. With a few simple mods the MR01 servo can be very tough and hold up very well.