PDA

View Full Version : New Mini-plane from Kyosho 'Minium'

Geo-Z
2007.05.16, 11:21 PM
It seems that Kyosho is planning to release an RC plane that can be flown indoors...it seems to be faster than the tomy one (?).

Not sure about the exact scale, though.

The wingspan is about 38cms and seems to be a cessna or something....the video shows it doing loops inside a sports hall. I still think you need a pretty big room to get the most out of it......

Hope it's durable.

Check it out here (http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=101476)

Draconious
2007.05.17, 08:51 AM
Indoors does not mean in your living room or bed room... it means under a roof in an inclosed space. Most rc planes need a gym or large room to fly in... They have to say indoors, because you cannot fly it outside... unless there is 0 wind, and 0 gusts... or you might never see it again, or have it crash all the time.

Although there is one that is small enough for a living room lol... but its super fragile.

benmlee
2007.05.17, 01:01 PM
Now if they make a P51 Mustang or some of the low wings. Then we can have a HAFY air race indoor :)
The video on Kyosho website shows one of these planes fly outdoors too. Probably won't work too well in high winds.

Geo-Z
2007.05.18, 09:47 AM
Some more features: This plane's max speed is 10kmph. That's about maybe 7mph I think. In the video it looked a lot faster, but if the speed is so slow, it may not be such a bad indoor contender after all.

Dedicated rc plane enthusiasts are pretty excited about the Kyosho Minium. Rcgroups has a bunch of large-scale plane fans waiting to get their mitts around one.

The plane itself will come in three colours: red, blue, and green. All will be based on the Cessna Centurion. Three can be flown simultaneously, and are controlled on 3-channel transmitters, 2.4ghz.

Wingspan is 380mm and it's total wieght comes at just 18grams!

Also, the turning radius can be trimmed for much tighter turns should space be a concern. I think i read somewhere that even a space 4 m x 4m is fine.....(forgot where) ?

Release date is early June. Oh and it can be flown outdoors as the vids show but of course only in light winds.

:)

Draconious
2007.05.18, 11:31 AM
3 can? or ONLY 3 can? with 2.4ghz it should be a lot more than 3............ I guess its not the "good" 2.4ghz lol...

And lite winds will have to be 0-2mph... a 5mph wind gust would flip that thing over at 18g... at least it has full control (I saw it do a real loop in video)... that will help keep it from being LOST on a windy day... planes with no elevator gain altitude with speed/airspeed... and wind can often make them constantly climb no matter what way you go... so many stories of people just watchign their plane go off into the horizon never to be seen again, and just as many stories of people finding planes that came from no where.

TALLGEESE
2007.05.18, 03:17 PM
I saw these planes as well, I pre-ordered one of the Green one's already, and I can't wait to get it... I thought it was a huge plus/advantage to have actual moving control surfaces on a plane that small.. It gives you faster response time and moves the plane around with more authority.. A whole lot better than using propellers on the outsides of the wings to thrust-vector/tractor the plane around.. This can make the plane less responsive to control inputs once the battery starts to die, and you're always fighting it to keep it airborne..

MiniZMaster
2007.05.18, 03:53 PM
that soooo cool i want one. is the shop gonna get them instock?

Geo-Z
2007.05.19, 06:36 PM
whoops. Draconius is right...methinks there's a typo....not three can be flown simultaneously.....i think i got mixed up with the 3-channel claim.

Actually, i believe they didn't state how many can be flown at once....but i'm betting that not too much is better, as the Minium looks liable to break in the event of midair collision.

I find most rc planes to be quite fragile. My friend once flew a Venom Nighthawk Heli and a magpie attacked it....both it and the heli were obliterated. Lots of feathers. :(

Draconious
2007.05.19, 07:33 PM
If you want a DURRABLE rc plane, build one out of EPP foam in a flying wing configuration... they use them for mid air contact combat... knock each other to the earth type of kills... I had one I was showing off for a party in the yard next door flew up to were it was a speck in the sky, and dove straight down lol... pulled out a bit and flew right into a area of small trees... didnt slow down a bit... some one claimed it was 100mph plus... they flew real planes etc, but I doubt they where judgeing it right... they were all laughin next door... until I went over picked it up and threw it back into the air!!! then they all shut up and came over to see what it was :). I have had many crashes on this plane, upto 60, most of wich where on purpose.. just cuz I can... and its funny to watch it bounch off of things... the rest were just crappy landings and me trying to catch it instead of landing in the mud... I have sence retired this wing, and am currently puting the compontents into another EPP foam plane with a fuse, it will weigh about 19oz... and have over 32oz of thrust. :) (it would only need 8-10 oz to stay in the air)

marc
2007.07.27, 11:35 AM
Micro helicopters are more fun in my opinion. If you want a really fun indoor helicopter, try the Night Ranger 3D Micro from Venom Corps. It's tiny, and can hover in your living room.

akura2
2007.10.11, 01:21 PM
Micro helicopters are more fun in my opinion. If you want a really fun indoor helicopter, try the Night Ranger 3D Micro from Venom Corps. It's tiny, and can hover in your living room.

I know this thread is kinda old.. but I saw these planes at my LHS as Parkzone planes... it's the Cessna 210 Centurion

I guess Kyosho gave up on them, or they're using Parkzone as their US distributor... the same way HPI distributes XMODS overseas

http://parkzone.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=cessna&CatId=ARE

arch2b
2007.10.11, 01:34 PM
the parkzone box even says minium on it. i bought one a couple weeks ago. it's just an issue of branding most likely.

akura2
2007.10.11, 01:42 PM
the parkzone box even says minium on it. i bought one a couple weeks ago. it's just an issue of branding most likely.

how do you like it?... I saw one for the first time over at my LHS and I was eyeballing it pretty seriously for playing on my street or the local baseball field...

TALLGEESE
2007.10.11, 01:59 PM
I pre-ordered one of the Kyosho Minium's from Japan about 6 months ago.. After about three months I never got any responses back from the overseas store I originally ordered it through... So I cancelled my order, only to see the exact same plane in one of my local hobbystore's roughly 2 month's ago.. The only difference was this plane was in a Parkzone box instead of a Kyosho one..

I've talked to Arch about this and I just thought it was funny that this was the exact same plane as the Kyosho, right down to the transmitter and the name "Minium".. You would have thought that Parkzone would've at least changed the name...

I'm actually glad now that I canceled my pre-order a few months back.. When I pre-ordered mine it was going to cost around $180-190 dollars for the plane including shipping... The one I saw at my local hobby shop only cost around $120 dollars, that's a big difference in price to pay for essentially the same airplane.... I'm glad I waited...

arch2b
2007.12.26, 11:23 PM
everything in this box says minium.

i'll let you guys know what it's like when i get clear weather and a chance to take it out for a flight.
here are my pictures
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=1244

marc
2007.12.27, 09:56 AM
My dad has the Parkzone version and it flys very well. At our local indoore flying meet, I've seen some very skilled builders take the gut's out of the Cessna, and scratch build their own airplanes with theme. Some very cool stuff and I'm jealous of their skills.

shuter
2007.12.27, 01:32 PM
If you want a DURRABLE rc plane, build one out of EPP foam in a flying wing configuration... they use them for mid air contact combat... knock each other to the earth type of kills... I had one I was showing off for a party in the yard next door flew up to were it was a speck in the sky, and dove straight down lol... pulled out a bit and flew right into a area of small trees... didnt slow down a bit... some one claimed it was 100mph plus... they flew real planes etc, but I doubt they where judgeing it right... they were all laughin next door... until I went over picked it up and threw it back into the air!!! then they all shut up and came over to see what it was :). I have had many crashes on this plane, upto 60, most of wich where on purpose.. just cuz I can... and its funny to watch it bounch off of things... the rest were just crappy landings and me trying to catch it instead of landing in the mud... I have sence retired this wing, and am currently puting the compontents into another EPP foam plane with a fuse, it will weigh about 19oz... and have over 32oz of thrust. :) (it would only need 8-10 oz to stay in the air)

Drac - The extremely durable flying wing you talk about here sounds like a lot of fun. I am interested in one. Do they come in a kit or are they scratch built? Would appreciate information about how to get one up and flying.