PDA

View Full Version : MOD-AWD & MR-02 SET-UPS

lfisminiz
2007.05.28, 09:13 PM
I just started running some mod class racing. Id like to get some set-up ideas for awd & mr-02 chassis set-ups. Must be rcp track set-ups. Mid to large size track. Usually the typical long streight into fast corner followed by your tight and windy sections. Im been running mostly stock and im doing ok in mod but could use some ideas from guys that run mod WEEKLY OR MONTHLY that have been doing it awhile. Lets kick some set-up/ideas around. THanks. :)

arch2b
2007.05.28, 09:19 PM
not that this really helps but i upgraded all the drivetrain parts and went with ball diff in front and back. gearing seems to play a very big part in any setup. i am still playing with that.

byebye
2007.05.28, 09:39 PM
I just started running some mod class racing. Id like to get some set-up ideas for awd & mr-02 chassis set-ups. Must be rcp track set-ups. Mid to large size track. Usually the typical long streight into fast corner followed by your tight and windy sections. Im been running mostly stock and im doing ok in mod but could use some ideas from guys that run mod WEEKLY OR MONTHLY that have been doing it awhile. Lets kick some set-up/ideas around. THanks. :)

For me I was running an mr-02 mcl

I had:
PN Alloy mm
disk damper dry
bearings of course
atomic stock motor
1x1 4562 fets
soft h-plate
and hard front springs
normal offsets for that body

I just recently put together another 12 hour car. This time using the VDSII body.

PN Alloy MM LCG
disk damper
Atomic stock motor
2x2 3010 FETs
stock front springs
normal offsets for that body

For both I run Kyosho 20 rears on the RCP and a harder front. This varies but I like the Kyosho 30 round fronts.

For both I ran a 9t pinion. There is so much torque in those atomic stock motors. They are beasts on the straights and the neo really help slow it down in the corners.

I personally like less steering in my cars. I do have the helios but I don't like to deal with fast steering. If you have a good set of front tires you don't need to have full lock to lock steering to be quick in the corners.

-Byebye

lfisminiz
2007.05.28, 10:37 PM
Arch- my awd is beefed up that way. It runs pretty good. Just trying to narrow it down to a better set-up.
byebye- ill get back to you on more questions tommorrow when i have more time.....is that the mclaren body??

byebye
2007.05.28, 10:41 PM
Arch- my awd is beefed up that way. It runs pretty good. Just trying to narrow it down to a better set-up.
byebye- ill get back to you on more questions tommorrow when i have more time.....is that the mclaren body??

Yes the Mclaren body for the first setup.

-Byebye

supafastsupra2
2007.05.29, 12:40 PM
mod mr02: (RM)
Atomic Vds w/ 575 gtc rims
pn RM motor mount
pn medium h plate
atomic v1 disk damper
pn red front springs (supersoft)
pn 2degree front knuckles
shortest front limiters
2 pn shims under knckle
ti nitride hingepins
-1 deg toe out
pn bearings
atomic a.w. groove 10degree all around
kyosho ball diff
anima 2 motor
2x2 4562 FETs
8t pinion

mod mr02: (MM)

mclaren slr
pn ML motor mount
pn hard rm hplate w/ MM spacer (no triangle)
kyosho oil shock
pn purple front springs (medium)
pn 1 degree front knuckles
shortest front limiters
ti nitride hingepins
0 deg toe
pn bearings
atomic a.w. groove 10degree all around
kyosho ball diff
anima 2 motor
2x2 4562 FETs
8t pinion

Fish
2007.05.29, 02:05 PM
Do your local rules allow for foam tires? I use GRP pre-mounted tires and find that they give the car a slight understeer bias, just enough to let you take a hot mod car close to the limit, as long as you keep your lines clean. I find that this kind of handling helps a lot especially on the first corner after the long straight.

lfisminiz
2007.05.29, 08:39 PM
We run rubber tires. From a set-up stand point...explain...
1. what does a softer vs harder H plate do to effect handling. Some people love the softest and some sware by hard H plates.
2. on the front knuckles...we all probably put some shims under knuckles to lower chassis a bit. If you do that than in turn should you go with shorter limiters and why or why not ? By limiters i mean the plastic cups that hold the spring on top of knuckle. I think Kyosho shortest that come with kit is 4.0 mm. Pn and Atomic make even shorter. What do you guys think and how does the size of limiter effect handling?

supafast.............thanks for the details.. :)

supafastsupra2
2007.05.30, 12:02 AM
n/p :)

I especially like my RM setup as of now, the MM needs some more work (hopping in the corners). My setup is a bit different than most, as i prefer my car to be what people refer to as "twitchy", but it allows my car to transition much better much like an MM. Although the car is twitchy, it does not spin out, and can handle as much power as you throw at it.

@ the h plate question, it affects how much flex the chassis has in the corners. a harder h plate will yield a more rigid rear, and therefore less traction. if your car is bouncing in the rear, a harder h plate usually helps to reduce the bounce. as for people who swear by different harnesses, it all depends upon setup, especially tires, springs, and knuckles.

@ the knuckles, usually one does go with shorter limiters, as they provide more suspension travel. more travel> more traction> more steering. you should use the smallest one possible that does not allow the tires rub on the body.

if you want to know anything else, just ask. :)

byebye
2007.05.30, 08:01 AM
n/p :)

I especially like my RM setup as of now, the MM needs some more work (hopping in the corners). My setup is a bit different than most, as i prefer my car to be what people refer to as "twitchy", but it allows my car to transition much better much like an MM. Although the car is twitchy, it does not spin out, and can handle as much power as you throw at it.

@ the h plate question, it affects how much flex the chassis has in the corners. a harder h plate will yield a more rigid rear, and therefore less traction. if your car is bouncing in the rear, a harder h plate usually helps to reduce the bounce. as for people who swear by different harnesses, it all depends upon setup, especially tires, springs, and knuckles.

@ the knuckles, usually one does go with shorter limiters, as they provide more suspension travel. more travel> more traction> more steering. you should use the smallest one possible that does not allow the tires rub on the body.

if you want to know anything else, just ask. :)

I couldn't have explained it better. I'm wondering now if I should setup an RM. I've been running an MM for the past 3 HFAY seasons and my sons RM, which I barely setup the day of the race, was faster around the track and that was with mistakes.

The MM for my setup runs very flat and smooth. My sons car was doing alot of bouncing thru the corners but was able to put the power down everywhere on the track. I know the RM's motor position helps with rear traction.

-Byebye

supafastsupra2
2007.05.30, 08:44 PM
try out the RM, it is more suited for mod setups imo as i can take the power. the mid mount is better for stock class as the more centrally located cog allows it to transition much quicker, but too much power and it likes to swing out.

any suggestions to reduce rear end hop for my MM? once i remove this (more a gripe than anything else, it handles awesome nevertheless) my setup will be perfect to my liking.

lfisminiz
2007.05.30, 10:11 PM
Supa and byebye. Sounds good. That was my general thinking on those questions but it doesnt hurt to understand it more.

Supafast- Let me know if you come up with anything as far as bounce in the rear. Ive noticed that at times or certain rcp tracks. Do you have hard H plate in rear? Or maybe something with the disc damper. Would a different , wider body help. I love mclaren bodies. I noticed when i tried 1mm off-set rear rims instead of the stock 0 off-set rims, it seemed to tame the rear alittle.

byebye
2007.05.30, 11:07 PM
Supa and byebye. Sounds good. That was my general thinking on those questions but it doesnt hurt to understand it more.

Supafast- Let me know if you come up with anything as far as bounce in the rear. Ive noticed that at times or certain rcp tracks. Do you have hard H plate in rear? Or maybe something with the disc damper. Would a different , wider body help. I love mclaren bodies. I noticed when i tried 1mm off-set rear rims instead of the stock 0 off-set rims, it seemed to tame the rear alittle.

Right now I'm running a +1 in the rear and 0 front on my modded mcl. I like the stability.

To reduce the rear hop I try to run a soft h-plate and no oil on the damper with. Overall travel is smooth and medium dampening. It will kick out if you turn too sharp coming out of a long straight.

-Byebye

lfisminiz
2007.05.31, 09:03 PM
Thats another thing...oil/lube disc damper or run dry. Alot less mess with no lube. What does the lube on disc dampers really do?

supafastsupra2
2007.05.31, 10:08 PM
messed w/ the setup today. medium h plate, greased my stock damper to add some friction. seems pretty good, but the rear looses it sometimes, and i have some tweak also. i need to source the tweak as its biased to the left a bit. otherwise, MUCH better. no bouncing. i also changed my tires to kyosho 20 all around. has more steering now, as the kyosho fronts are grippy as heck. Tommorow i may pick up a Mclaren F1 LM to try out, as it has more weight in the rear, which will keep the rear a bit more planted. I'll report back on how that goes.

The MM is my car of choice now, its much more maneuverable than the RM. This Sunday we will be racing w/ the Core system, so i will compare my lap times of RM v.s. MM =)

ByronF1
2007.06.01, 02:22 PM
Hi, my setup is: (RCP medium track 3Ls)

MR02 mod MM:
mclaren F1
Atomic LCG II motor mount, lowest posible...
Atomic hard mm hplate
Atomic Damper plate, no oil, hard spring bottom, soft top.
Atomic Rear AL +0 OffSet
pn purple front springs (medium)
pn 1.5 degree front knuckles
shortest front limiters
PN Racing Mini-Z MR02 Alm Front Tower Bar Set (MR015)
0 deg toe
Atomic bearings
Atomic Front AL +2 OffSet, is like -1 Offset normal chassis...
PN RCP 10degree all around
Atomic II ball diff
Atomic Stock R Evolution motor
AD PCB 2x2 3010 FETs
7t pinion

lfisminiz
2007.06.01, 08:15 PM
Byron- sounds good.
Supafast- let us know how it went.

supafastsupra2
2007.06.03, 12:08 AM
well, today we changed the layout of the RCP track. spent about 2 hours practicing, and then we had a few informal races w/ the core system. im running laps in the mid to low 5 second range w/ a fastest lap of 5.08 with the MM, the fastest lap of the day. to put things into perspective, on the last race, i did 40 laps, 2nd did 30, 3rd 29, and 4th 26. Tomorrow i will run the RM to see what kind of times im pulling.

BTW, the F1 LM is Much more planted than the SLR, as i had presumed. very satisfied w/ my setup

lfisminiz
2007.06.03, 07:43 PM
So is your set-up with the mclaren the same as the earlier set-up that you posted or revised.

supafastsupra2
2007.06.03, 10:58 PM
it was the same as before, but due to the track conditions i did not do as well as i could. after my the a- main i changed to purple front springs and switched the rear h plate spacer to the MM type rather than the RM type (w/ triangle) that i was using. after those two changes, the car handled much better and was consistent. Beforehand, halfway through the race the rear would get loose and it would be a handful for the remainder of the race. ended up in second place :) 3rd place is Philip Abet, the best driver in the area for 1/8th scale onroad sponsored by Mugen, so I feel good about that :)

unfortunately today was purely focused on my main race setup, i did not have a chance to try out the RM. The new layout is much tighter anyways, so it would not have done as well in my opinion. Once i get a chance to drive the RM on the new layout i'll report back.

ByronF1
2007.06.04, 10:22 AM
Byron- sounds good.
Supafast- let us know how it went.

I really like the Mini-Z MR02 Alm Front Tower Bar Set (MR015) with the McLaren..., because I was trying before with the normal Tower Set the -0.5 offset rims but when you put some camber they friction on the knuckles, so with this you can hide a little bit your tires from the wall, and get more steering... really nice...
The motor with the neo magnets give you more break when you realese the trigger...
With the new diferential I didnt feel a great change, I supposed that all the manaufactures were made this new version because is better...
The tires are great you shoud try them...

lfisminiz
2007.06.04, 09:02 PM
Byron, i have the Pn RCP tires and they are really good tires. If they stay consistant when they make them...they will have some good tires.

imxlr8ed
2007.06.05, 02:03 AM
Larry... just finished fetting your car, this thing is a rocket! Little glitchy at first, but I trimmed out the controller and it's running real nice now.
You better get a good setup for all this power! :eek:

Gotta hit the hay, I'll give you a buzz tomorrow.

lfisminiz
2007.06.05, 08:46 PM
Thats what i need....more speed. :eek: :o ;) :D