PDA

View Full Version : Morris Mini Cooper Rally Version

marc
2007.06.04, 04:49 PM
Hello. I just noticed though RosSpeed's web site that Kyosho is releasing a racing version of the Morris Mini Cooper for the Lit! It's got sweet set of wheels, extra lights up front, and a spare tire roof rack! I think I'd take the roof rack off though and repaint it for a more street-tuned race look than that Rally look.
Here is a picture I got from the web site.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/MiniCooperRL.jpg
I can't wait for the AutoScale version of this to come out!

arch2b
2007.06.04, 05:31 PM
yes, soulstice has already posted this news, under new products i believe :)

by far the best cooper to date

dean
2007.06.04, 10:36 PM
Looks like it's time to get a LIT .. :)

marc
2007.06.04, 11:03 PM
I'll wait for the AutoScale to be available! I bet those wheels will look sweet on the Fiat as well!

Roketmini
2007.06.06, 09:56 PM
If I wasn't spending all my money on my girlfriend, chinese food, and parts for my Mini-Lst, I'd probably put some money toward getting one of those.

Or maybe I'd just get an Iwaver axle and finish my "Xmod-Lit" project I started a while ago :D

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/Roketmini/IMGP0017.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/Roketmini/IMGP0018.jpg
I think the Xmod-Lit would be pretty cool done, I'll start another thread for it if I get any farther than this.

reycer
2007.06.08, 03:28 AM
Well - I just got these in the mail today

sorry one isn't a lit...

Rey

marc
2007.06.08, 10:57 AM
Wow, where di you manage to find the Lit?

reycer
2007.06.08, 02:52 PM
Hey Marc,

I have a friend in Japan... It came out on June 2nd over there. Outside of the decals, there are black wheel flares, different bumpers and wheels, the rear has a headlight as well.

I see you put all the modifications on your mini z... quicker isn't it?

Been away from this for awhile

reycer
2007.06.08, 02:54 PM
Hey Marc,

One other question... What fm radio are you using with your lit? I was thinking of buying the fm module for my helios...

Rey

marc
2007.06.08, 03:20 PM
Hello. I use the radio that came with the Lit. Works well, and is comfortable, so why change it?
Got a question for you regarding the Raly Cooper. Do you know if it's wheelbase is a tad wider than the stock Mini Cooper? Looks like it should be.
I plan on shaving off the roof bit's such as the spare wheel rack and that sign up front, then repaint it for a street-racer look. Then possibly find some tiny LED lights to it.
To answer your other question, the modifications do appear to make it faster. Mine has the Xspeed motor and ball bearings in it, and the suspension upgrades. As this car is so small, I really can't tell if the suspension upgrades made an improvment, but the motor and bearings sure did. I also noticed that the Mini Cooper has the tendency to flip if you go to fast on the corners, that is why I was wondering about the width of the rally version. Needs to be wider! I take mine with me to the local track and race it on the RCP tracks and it's great fun seeing this tiny little car zip along the strate away. Just SLOW DOWN for that turn!
Anyway, the rally verison looks much more "tuned" than the normal one. Is there a way you can get a hold of the body and wheels for me?

reycer
2007.06.09, 03:40 PM
Hello. I use the radio that came with the Lit. Works well, and is comfortable, so why change it?
Got a question for you regarding the Raly Cooper. Do you know if it's wheelbase is a tad wider than the stock Mini Cooper? Looks like it should be.
I plan on shaving off the roof bit's such as the spare wheel rack and that sign up front, then repaint it for a street-racer look. Then possibly find some tiny LED lights to it.
To answer your other question, the modifications do appear to make it faster. Mine has the Xspeed motor and ball bearings in it, and the suspension upgrades. As this car is so small, I really can't tell if the suspension upgrades made an improvment, but the motor and bearings sure did. I also noticed that the Mini Cooper has the tendency to flip if you go to fast on the corners, that is why I was wondering about the width of the rally version. Needs to be wider! I take mine with me to the local track and race it on the RCP tracks and it's great fun seeing this tiny little car zip along the strate away. Just SLOW DOWN for that turn!
Anyway, the rally verison looks much more "tuned" than the normal one. Is there a way you can get a hold of the body and wheels for me?

Hey Marc,

The wheel bases and axle width are the same... The wheels actually look smaller in width that the original mini cooper you and I have. I know what you mean about the modified car rolling... I actually had issue with the wheels flying off as well. (taped them on to fix that) Somtimes that is just the limitation of this type of chassis. I am considering doing the exact mod with my Diahatsu (sp?) and do a side by side into the turn... The Diahatsu is a longer wheel base which will help in straight line stability and in turns IMO. The reason I wanted to see if you use a non stock radio (I am considering using my EX 10 Helios because the stock radio is really twitchy for my style... a better radio I can adjust out the DR... that might even help with the car rolling...

I will inquire about the wheels and body for you... Sometime when these are new only ready sets are available... I will check.

Do you have problems with glitches with the hidden oval antenna when the car is 10 - 15 feet away
?

marc
2007.06.09, 07:28 PM
Hello reycer. Yes I did have problems with the radio glitching. I think that is due to the short loop antenna not giving proper range. So, I fixed it by drilling a hole in the roof and going with a regular antenna, now I can operate it as far as 30 feet.
When I took it to the local track with the loop antenna, it would stop half way around. Now I can race it on our BIG track and it does ok. So if you dont' mind giving up the scale appearence, then put a longer antenna on it.
With the fender flares on the Rally version, I'm surprised that the wheels aren't wider and more surprised that they are smaller. That's why I like the Tagu wheels, while not authentic looking for a Mini Cooper, they sure look good. The Mini Cooper did require some wheel well trimming for the Tagu's to work properly.
As for the radio, I've had no problems with mine and I don't think that will cure the rolling. I think it's just the nature of the Mini Cooper and it's wheel base. That is why I'm hoping for a wider set of wheels from sombody to help solve the roll over issue. I'm thinking of molding on a set of wider arches and space out the wheels on mine to see if that'll help. I'm actually going for more of a classic street-tuner style look, than the rally look. If I can find a picture of such a Mini Cooper, I'll post it here.
Somthing similar to this...............
http://minichallenge.minimania.com/entries/entrypix/DegauqueK.jpg

ME-Racing
2007.06.10, 10:56 AM
Hi Marc,

I also got the Rally-Cooper, couldnīt resist this wonderful detailed body..
Itīs my first Lit and I raced it yesterday on our carpet-track. The Lit stock-tires have a shore of 20°, thats quite soft.
On the cooper with the longer wheelbase this was no problem, but the other Lit on the track was a Fiat with the shortest wheelbase. It was uncontrollable with the stock-tires. So we mounted hard epoch stock-tires in the front and it worked fine..

I didnīt race on RCP yet, but as far as I know, it has much more grip than a carpet-track. Maybe you should try harder tires in the front, the car should handle smoother and cornering shouldnīt be so aggressive. The rolling may also be stopped?!

@reycer
If you want to use your Helios/Mars you need the green AD-band module and AD-crystals. We also tested the 27Mhz-FM module, but it didnīt work.. :rolleyes:

If you like some detail-photos of the rally-mini click here. (http://549.rapidforum.com/topic=102174302788&startid=5)

marc
2007.06.10, 11:05 AM
HI there, nice shots! I'm surprised that they didn't make the wheels wider on the rally version. That's what the Mini Cooper needs is wider wheels.
My Mini run's great on our local RCP track. However, it does need to slow down for the turns because it does seem to be a bit top heavy. The upgrades I did to it really seemed to help.
For the front suspension, I removed the up/down limiters and just used the springs. I got the full spring set for the car and righnt now it's set at green. The car obsorbs the bumps much better without the limiter in place.
With the wider alloy wheels from Tagu, I don't know why they didn't make wider tires for it.
I've e-mailed to GPM a few times requesting that they make some custom wide wheels for the LIt's to improve the track.
While the rally Lit looks nice and has the lights up front of which I like, the fenders are not wide enough for my taste. SO I'm thinking of modifying mine when I'm done with the larger Mini Cooper. I'd like to widen the wheelbase, but right now I can't seem to remove the Tagu wheels off the hubs! They are a very TIGHT fit!
I also have the white Fiat, and it's cool, but I can't use the rear shock on it as I don't have the real-short shock mount. Also, I don't think the Tagu wheels will fit the FIat as it's a smaller car than the Mini Cooper.

ME-Racing
2007.06.10, 11:25 AM
The 3racing damper-system mounted on the Fiat-chassis is fixed on the motor-clip without any damper-mount.. only drilled in the clip.

The Tagu-rims will be oversized for the Fiat, maybe it will fit with the thinner epoch tires???

reycer
2007.06.11, 01:22 PM
Thanks ME-Racing for the tip on the 27 mhz fm module.. Funny Ko propo USA said it would work... I have the helios EX 10... don't know if that will make a difference.

I wish they would just pick a band type and stick to it

reycer
2007.06.14, 10:47 AM
Marc,

I inquired about the Monte Carlo body and wheels for you. Here is what I received today:

"I asked Kyosho again, they say this body and wheels are not released yet, and releasing date is undecided now."

Sorry man

marc
2007.06.16, 04:24 PM
Not a problem, thanks for asking. I'm sure it will be released soon as the normal Mini Cooper is released in numerous colors. I'm actually tempted to modify my Mini Cooper body for that street-racer look anyway. I just want to find those specific wheels that are on the rally version.

marc
2007.06.28, 04:45 PM
Marc,

I inquired about the Monte Carlo body and wheels for you. Here is what I received today:

"I asked Kyosho again, they say this body and wheels are not released yet, and releasing date is undecided now."

Sorry man

Hey guess what? Hobby Japan on ebay now carries this Monte Carlo body in AutoScale format! About 30 bucks I belieive !Tempting, very tempting.

reycer
2007.07.02, 05:30 PM
well there you go...

marc
2007.07.03, 11:57 AM
well there you go...

Yea, tempting. But in my situation I should try and reframe my self as I recently ordered that new Iwaver.

akura2
2007.07.10, 08:11 PM
I would like to build a lit that looks like MY car
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2091/hotcalimini2smallerjz6.jpg

I wish I could find the right body parts...(Wheels, tires, flares)

NikeSB
2007.07.10, 08:33 PM
That's your car? Those old minis are amazing. Looking good, Akura. :D

dean
2007.07.10, 11:05 PM
bitchin car :) (nice) .. lol

akura2
2007.07.11, 11:25 PM
thanks guys... ya.. that's my buddy

too bad Kyosho doesn't make a hop up kit like X-Mods that would give me the wide flares and the proper wheels... I've seen the rally kit, but the wheels aren't offset enough to make it look "right"

marc
2007.07.18, 09:41 PM
Hey akura, I've been e-mailing with somebody here on the forum, I forget his user name, but he and I are talking about making custom alloy wheels for the Lite. E-mail me at Marccrx@aol.com and I'll give you his e-mail address. I suggested some rims that are about 1mm taller, and front wheels 1mm wider, and rear's 1.5mm wider than stock wheels. That should give us some depth for the spokes for that raceing appearance.

akura2
2007.07.20, 02:11 AM
Thanks Marc... I just saw this this evening... I'll hit you up soon for the info... I think any wheels that are wider than the stock Bicycle wheels would be great... even if the tires are the same width tires as long as the offset is a little different to fill up the wheel arches a little better and fit flush with the body... I hate seeing cars with the wheel tucked way far into the body like how the wheels on a UPS truck...LOL

Ros-Speed has some really nice mini-Z's that were modded to give a wider wheel appearance with the standard tires

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8195/rosspeedrx7yk5.jpg

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8760/rosspeedinternalslc6.jpg

marc
2007.07.20, 11:40 AM
Yea, they do have the best looking cars I've ever seen. Wish they'd put those up for sale on ebay.
I was thinking, the Mini-Light wheels we see on your Mini Cooper, would be perfect for the rally car. I was thinking we could make the wheels 1.5mm wider for the rears, and 1mm wider for the fronts. Keep the diameter the same. I personally would like to see some lip in this wheels like a real tuner car has. I wish to get the Monte Carlo Rally Cooper body, shave off the roof rack, remove the third light in rear, and repaint the body.
One issue I'm having right now with my Lite, is I can't get the bloody Tagu wheels off! It's like they are stuck on there for good! This can become a problem for me in the future! Anybody have any ideas?