PDA

View Full Version : F1 Bumper Suggestions?

Jonny
2007.06.07, 07:37 PM
Hi guys,

I've been running F1 for some time now and would just like anybody's ideas on bumpers for them. The stock plastic one tends to get jammed under the rails if you snag them, so we've had to use plastic shovel type device attached to the front to stop this happening. In time, it's bending and cracking the stock plastic bumper, so any ideas for replacing that completely - preferably with some way to stop it jamming under the rails too?

I'm aware of the upgrade bumpers but this doesn't solve the problem of getting caught up.

And please don't say 'learn to drive', or 'stay away from the rails'...:rolleyes:

Thanks,

Jonny

Jonny
2007.06.08, 09:39 AM
Just an update, I'd still appreciate anybody's ideas on this matter who have run F1 on RCP.

To enable running without the 'snow plough' on the front, I decided to remove the front wing, dremel down the nose pylons that it attaches to and re fix the wing a lot higher up (looks like current season now). I also dremelled a bit of the plastic under bumper to enable it to curve upward and attach to the bottom of the wing also to provide protection. Now that high nose doesn't catch under the rails at all and also the front suspension works properly.

I guess this is the best fix, as long as you don't mind modifying an F1 body!

Jonny

pinoyboy
2007.06.08, 09:42 AM
Just an update, I'd still appreciate anybody's ideas on this matter who have run F1 on RCP.

To enable running without the 'snow plough' on the front, I decided to remove the front wing, dremel down the nose pylons that it attaches to and re fix the wing a lot higher up (looks like current season now). I also dremelled a bit of the plastic under bumper to enable it to curve upward and attach to the bottom of the wing also to provide protection. Now that high nose doesn't catch under the rails at all and also the front suspension works properly.

I guess this is the best fix, as long as you don't mind modifying an F1 body!

Jonny

I ran in to this problem a couple of times. Do you have any pics after modifying it?

gasman1
2007.06.08, 09:45 AM
That's what I did to fix the same problem. Shaving down he wing mounts on the nose had the most positive effect. Also, I stopped puttng the Core tagunder the wing. That adds to the problem on some bodies. I noticed it the most on my Jordan body.

bolter9
2007.06.08, 11:58 AM
There's two different types of bumpers- what I think is the older style has a flat front profile, while the newer style has an angled front profile. From my experience, the angled front doesn't get stuck under the rails as easily. Can't think of any logical reason why...it just seems to work better.

Also, make sure your nose mount screws are screwed in tightlity to the body and that the bumper screws are screwed tightly to the wing. Any loosenes can make the bumper ride lower then it should.

I've heard of guys doing what you did by cutting the wing posts down- I'm not into modding my bodies though for something that's really a result of my bad driving– Just stay off the rails! :p

Hope that helps.

grymg
2007.06.08, 01:46 PM
Also there are multiple types of wings out there. The older version front wings are lower and catch under the RCP walls a lot.

The '06 versions of the Ferrari 2005 and MP4 have their wings angled up on the ends so it's unlikely to catch.

techno
2007.06.08, 04:39 PM
I just glue shrink tubing to the front bumper I make it a the width of the wheels works great to to protect the knuckles

Jonny
2007.06.08, 06:40 PM
OK Thanks guys, appreciate all your input on this. We do run both versions of the bumper and have been having the same problem though, along with causing bottoming out and not letting the suspension work as it should. I've been running with the mod and with the plastic bumper and it has proved very good for both the rail situation and also gives a more positive feel in the corners.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q206/staffordracers/Club%20Member%20Cars/F1FrontWingRaised.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q206/staffordracers/Club%20Member%20Cars/F1WingRaisedFront.jpg

Jonny

grymg
2007.06.11, 02:41 PM
A person in our club put together a prototype of his lexan version.

We started out with the Atomic front bumper for it's strength. However the bad part about this is that there is no lip on the front like the stock versions.

So we took a spare piece of thick lexan and glued it to the Atomic bumper. Then we curved it up to protect the front wing and also curved it around on the sides to simulate a touring car kind of.

So now you can hug corners without the risk of the front wing catching. And also you still keep the realism because the lexan is clear and doesn't detract from the appearance.