PDA

View Full Version : How can I get more grip on my DIY track?

stguest
2007.06.11, 09:43 PM
Hi guys. First of all let me just say that I know I should get RCP but I've got >300sq ft of space for my track and I want to use it all and that much RCP is not within my budget. The floor that I have to work with is tile that I have painted with a grey paint. Is there some coating or treatment that I can do to the floor to get better grip for my cars? I've ordered the softest stickiest tires that I can find but I'm worried that they won't keep me from skidding out on the corners which is what is going on now (I haven't received the tires yet so I don't know how much they'll help). Any tips or advice would be really appreciated (or links to old threads if this has been discussed a lot before).

Thanks for the help!

rharris
2007.06.12, 12:37 AM
I know other guys have asked what works on concreate, and hard wood.

Have you considered carpet? 300sq would be alot cheeper then RCP. And there are great tires out there for carpet from both PN and atomic.

byebye
2007.06.12, 06:51 AM
Hi guys. First of all let me just say that I know I should get RCP but I've got >300sq ft of space for my track and I want to use it all and that much RCP is not within my budget. The floor that I have to work with is tile that I have painted with a grey paint. Is there some coating or treatment that I can do to the floor to get better grip for my cars? I've ordered the softest stickiest tires that I can find but I'm worried that they won't keep me from skidding out on the corners which is what is going on now (I haven't received the tires yet so I don't know how much they'll help). Any tips or advice would be really appreciated (or links to old threads if this has been discussed a lot before).

Thanks for the help!

First off what's your budget? I know RCP Tracks will sell just tiles only. You could make custom rails from wood or PVC pipe. I wish I had that much space!!!

Kris

stguest
2007.06.12, 07:09 AM
First off what's your budget? I know RCP Tracks will sell just tiles only. You could make custom rails from wood or PVC pipe. I wish I had that much space!!!

Kris

My budget is about $200 and I've already got guard rails in place (pvc covered with foam insulation). From what I've seen though, my budget would only get me 100sq ft or so of RCP or 200sq ft of the anti-fatigue mats. I know that's a pretty good amount of space but I've got 300sq ft to use (maybe more actually) so I really want to use it all. Thanks for any suggestions you guys can offer.

byebye
2007.06.12, 05:26 PM
The reason I ask is carpet is your other option. Do a search for carpet. I don't remember the name of the type of carpet. You can also search Ebay or online for "carpet track" and you'll also get some info there.

In Germany I raced on a carpet track. It's a totally different experience compared to RCP in a good way ;).

Kris

Draconious
2007.06.12, 06:50 PM
carpet wears out after heavy use... and becomes annoying to drive on...

And Ozite was one of the name brands that sold "racing" carpet... its not easy to find so sometimes stereo cabinet carpet is used in place of it.

byebye
2007.06.13, 06:59 AM
http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.php?name=Shopping_Cart&file=product&c_op=viewprod&prodID=7718822

Drac what's considered heavy use? I don't believe 1/28 is going to wear out ozite carpet.

Kris

Davey G
2007.06.13, 08:39 AM
On parking lot touring car tracks we just go out and buy 2 liters of grape soda and spray it on. With your track being indoors this of course would attract ants so this is not an option. But this http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productitem_10001_10002_749306_-1_51620?CT=999 I think is a good option. It doesnt smell too bad and will not attract bugs. Let me know how it works out!

stguest
2007.06.13, 10:11 AM
thanks for all of the advice guys. After thinking it over I've decided that the easiest thing to do is to go with the anti-fatigue mats. I'll buy as much as I can for now and just add on when I get more $ to spend. I think it should work out.

Spoon
2007.06.13, 10:41 AM
I think you should really consider getting in touch with RCP. I read a post a while back that suggested that he can beat the price for individual tiles on anti-fatigue mats.

Maybe the price savings comes in because he doesn't have to cut holes or provide rails and pins.

It really is a superior surface. If you can even come close to the price for anti-fatigue, it's well worth it.

Mcclaren27
2007.08.17, 08:06 AM
I think you should really consider getting in touch with RCP. I read a post a while back that suggested that he can beat the price for individual tiles on anti-fatigue mats.

Maybe the price savings comes in because he doesn't have to cut holes or provide rails and pins.

It really is a superior surface. If you can even come close to the price for anti-fatigue, it's well worth it.

I, too, faught the RCP for a while and went with the Dad'sfunpage track first. It worked very well with the XMODS. I never ran minis on it because we moved and I set up the RCP.

Remember, with RCP you're getting the same anti fatigue surface, plus the rough surface on the flip side. So you have two different driving surfaces to choose from, though most choose the rough side.

Phil Burr
2007.08.17, 09:56 AM
If you are wanting to go cheap you can buy anti-skid paint @ your loacal home store pretty cheap, it's a paint with a rough texture mixed in it(sorta like sand) but provides good grip on concrete floors. And you can also add in more texture if you need too.

Phil

Mcclaren27
2007.08.17, 10:28 AM
If you are wanting to go cheap you can buy anti-skid paint @ your loacal home store pretty cheap, it's a paint with a rough texture mixed in it(sorta like sand) but provides good grip on concrete floors. And you can also add in more texture if you need too.

Phil

True. In fact, near the anti-fatigue mats, LOWES has small cans of grip or asthetic materials that you can mix in with the paint. I wonder what tire life would be on that stuff?