PDA

View Full Version : anti-fatigue mat setup

stguest
2007.06.25, 11:59 PM
I am new to mini-z and just finished building a track in my basement out of the interlocking anti-fatigue mats. Can anyone tell me what a good tire setup would be for running on these mats with a stock MR-02 MM car? thanks!

Programmers
2007.06.26, 03:07 AM
Bearings and Kyosho 20's. :D

hrdrvr
2007.06.26, 02:41 PM
Actually the stock tires work pretty well with a stock car. Well, I guess it really depends on how fast/big the track is. Mine is pretty small and stock cars with stock tires drive really well.

Basically, the lower degree the tire, the more grip you will have. Keep in mind a balanced combonation is important. You dont want too much grip either. I run 10* atomic grooved rears with *30 atomic grooved in front. Its a good set up for me, and works well on our carpet track as well.

SuperFly
2007.06.26, 03:23 PM
I run 8* on the rears and 10* on the fronts on mod cars, and 8* rear and 15-20* fronts on stock cars.

I basically go for the stickiest thing I can find for the rear, and then vary the hardness of the fronts for as close to neutral steering (no understeer or oversteer) as I can get for the typical speed of the car on the layout.

JamesJozef
2007.06.26, 04:39 PM
I run 8's on the rear, and 10's to 20's on the front of mine. Basically you want the stickiest tires possible in the rear, and the frnts just change the balance of the car as superfly said. Just be careful, because depending on the track/car/driver, you wear those 8's in the rear out pretty quickly.

SuperFly
2007.06.26, 05:33 PM
Just be careful, because depending on the track/car/driver, you wear those 8's in the rear out pretty quickly.

That is the truth. I have about 4 cars that I alternately run on different days of racing. When I used to have only 1-2 cars, I would get the 8* treaded radials and drive them until they were paper-thin slicks. Now, I find I need to replace them right around when you can barely see any tread left, as they tend to harden over time and just loose their grip. Sometimes I go chasing after all kinds of suspension tweaks with springs and damper settings, when all I really needed was some fresh tires.

JamesJozef
2007.06.26, 05:46 PM
They tend to harden over time and just loose their grip.

I've actually never had my treaded 8's harden, but mybe that's because I don't think I've ever had them long enough before wearing them out. The good news is, those foam mat tracks aren't as bad on tires as RCP tracks are, but they generally don't haqve as much grip. Post some pictures of your foam track when you get a chance. I used to have one until we moved. I still need to go unpack it.

stguest
2007.06.27, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I've got some 8* and 10* rears ordered and I'll try to match those up with some different combinations on the front ie. 15* or 25*. I also ordered some Kyosho high grip 20* rears because I have read good things about them. I ordered the slicks though instead of the radials. Do the radials grip a lot better than the slicks?

I'll be sure to post some pics of my track once I've got the finishing touches done.

TALLGEESE
2007.06.27, 12:57 PM
Stguest, I've run both the treaded and the slick versions of the Kyosho 20 degree tires in the rear and I personally can't tell the difference between them when I'm running/racing.. If I had to choose between them I'd say the treaded versions would have a slight advantage due to the tread in the tire giving slightly more grip.. But that's just my opinion.. I'd say that overall the difference is very minor.. If you're running a fast track layout with a mod-motor setup, the treaded tires are going to become slicks anyway after a relatively short time running on them..

Tires are a very personal thing when it comes to Mini-Z's. What one person thinks is the best setup, another might not like at all.. Your'e best-bet is to maybe order a set of the treaded Kyosho 20 degrees and compare them for yourself personnally.. That way you will know for yourself which is better in you're opinion...

SuperFly
2007.06.27, 01:19 PM
What one person thinks is the best setup, another might not like at all.. Your'e best-bet is to maybe order a set of the treaded Kyosho 20 degrees and compare them for yourself personnally.. That way you will know for yourself which is better in you're opinion...

Very true. For example, one driver might like 8* tires up front and have their dual rate dialed back to 60%, and another driver might go with 20* up front and have the dual rate at 100%, both achieving a similar result.

Personally, Ive been moving towards stickier fronts as my driving skills get better, and I learn to take advantage of more subtle steering input. I used to like slightly harder fronts so I could just crank the steering all the way into turns without spinning, but the faster I go, the more all that understeer prevents me from getting a good line through the turn.

TALLGEESE
2007.06.27, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=SuperFly] For example, one driver might like 8* tires up front and have their dual rate dialed back to 60%, and another driver might go with 20* up front and have the dual rate at 100%, both achieving a similar result.QUOTE]

Superfly, I thought it was funny you mentioned this because that's exactly how I run my radio settings for my HFAY car(100% steering dual-rate with 20 degree Kyosho tires up front)... For me, the difference between treaded-tires and slicks isn't a huge factor.. Just yesterday I went to order tires and the shop I went to only had 20 degree treaded Kyosho fronts.. They were all sold out of 20 degree Kyosho front slicks, so I just got the treaded versions instead..