PDA

View Full Version : X-mod VS Mini-Z: Part 2

Programmers
2007.06.27, 05:07 PM
I finished this earlier one. There are less tests compared to the first one, but I think they have more to say. :) Check it out, enjoy.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kwMOWJGc7kE

imxlr8ed
2007.06.27, 05:42 PM
Oh boy... here we go!

You know they're going to blame the low lap time on the mistakes. (even though the electronics probably caused them) But you are absolutely right... if Xmods were the one to go with, I have no doubt they would be all over the HFAY ranks.

But I do enjoy seeing that Xmod bump around in the upper ranks of HFAY... that's raw determination there!

Thanks again for another great vid!

(you know they're going to question gearing for the dyno portion too, right?)

homestar21
2007.06.27, 07:00 PM
Glad to see an Xmod place 22, as I have one. Great vid, pretty much the reasons to buy a Mini-Z. :)
People will complain for sure, but there are some diehard xmods fans out there.

SuperFly
2007.06.27, 07:22 PM
I suppose you do have to give x-mods credit for introducing people to the scale, and as a stepping stone to Mini-Zs. It was for me. That techno drum 'n bass was sure irritating!

TheRinger
2007.06.27, 07:27 PM
Both videos clearly prove that xmods are not as good as mini z's. Good video and I think a good comparson programmmers, mini z's rule!

franciscantony
2007.06.27, 08:07 PM
of course, what do you expect.
xmods - $25
mini-z - $125.

-Francis

Programmers
2007.06.28, 06:13 AM
Hehe, thanks guys, great feedback!

The reason the X-mod didn't drive so well was 'cause it was not responding to me. Hense why when I was driving the X-Mod, I stood right next to the track. Even so, it wouldn't do what I wanted 50% of the time.

Also, I had the gear ratio matched - I should've mentioned that. :o

eztuner12
2007.06.28, 04:55 PM
Hehe, thanks guys, great feedback!

The reason the X-mod didn't drive so well was 'cause it was not responding to me. Hense why when I was driving the X-Mod, I stood right next to the track. Even so, it wouldn't do what I wanted 50% of the time.

Also, I had the gear ratio matched - I should've mentioned that. :o
Hi,
Have you tested the Xmods Evo with the Mini-Z electronic board?
That would be a good test to mesure-up these two chassis performance.

homestar21
2007.06.28, 06:04 PM
Hi,
Have you tested the Xmods Evo with the Mini-Z electronic board?
That would be a good test to mesure-up these two chassis performance.

That would take a long time and lots of effort. Besides, even if he could do it, although it would be interesting, what would it really prove? If the Xmod performed well with that board, it wouldn't mean Xmods are better anyways, since it would have parts that require a lot of time and money, while the test cars are stock. (It would be entertaining though.)

P.S. you said the mini-z beats xmods in "all areas". Is price not a factor? It doesn't matter, that's sort of common sense though.

Some people commented,

"Great video betweens Xmods and Mini-Z. However, I don't have thats kind of money to get Mini-Z and no stores in my area don't sells them. I likes Xmods better than Mini-Z because RS sells them in my area. Price is a fit right in my budget. Also I can make my xmods about close same as like Mini-Z with a few modifications. This video doesn't make me loser thats I own Xmods. Everybody are differents and different opinions. Thanks"

It makes it seem like he's defensive about the Xmods. Some people take this video like it says "Xmods are inferior and Xmod owners are losers...." yeesh. :p

Nice vid! :)

imxlr8ed
2007.06.28, 06:43 PM
I think Xmods introduced alot of people to 1/28th scale... but everytime I'm running my Z at a big scale track... I get the same old story:

Racer: Is that an Xmod?

Me: Nope... it's a MiniZ!

Racer: Wow... that's pretty cool!, yeah... I had an Xmod a while back but it... (insert breakage story here). I wasn't too happy with it so I... (insert anything here really... I've heard anywhere from, gave it to my 5 year old nephew to, threw it in the trash). That scale just seemed too toy-like.

Me: Well, the MiniZ is just better quality, more like a real RC car and less toy like... here, try it!

I've had this conversation a bunch of times... seems like Xmods have also put-off people to 1/28th scale too.
Not trying to incite riots here... just relaying what I've heard from others throughout my years of racing MiniZs.

Programmers
2007.06.29, 08:49 AM
I don't consider price as a factor.

X-mod - $25
Mini-Z - $125

You get what you pay for!! Not to mention that it will cost a futher $150 to make the X-mod anywhere near as good as the Z! I put 300 into one of my X-mods about a year back, then in February I took it to a 1/28 meeting where everyone had Mini-Z's. My car was blown away by the stock ones! It was reaching 70KPH on the dyno, and was getting beaten by Mini-Z's that were clocking 20KPH on the dyno.

I let some xmodders drive one of my cars at our last meeting and it was my HFAY car. It was too fast for him!! He was driving a lithed up Xmod before my HFAY car!!!

It just goes to show.

Also, during the making of that video the Xmod really wound me up because of how poor it was. I was tempted to make a seperate video of the takeouts to show it for what it really was... Sadly, those clips were deleted.

mk2kompressor
2007.06.29, 09:14 AM
maybe ill do a modded evo for you tom?
liths,turbo etc and see what happens then,that should sort it once and for all :D
might aswell use all the xmod stuff cos i sure cant use it for racing!!
i think the xmods would have been so much better if there was 5mins in the design room spent adding a proper speedo and tx,rather than simple switches(tx)

Programmers
2007.06.29, 09:20 AM
Matt, that would be fantastic!!! Talk to you more via PM on XMF or MSN.

color01
2007.06.29, 04:08 PM
As a pretty experienced Xmodder, I have to say that in stock form, that video's about right. I'm sure some complaints are going to be along the lines of "you didn't upgrade the Xmod to Mini-Z's price, so obviously it can't be competitive".

So I also have this to say. I think it's possible for an Xmod to compete with a Mini-Z, if the Xmod owner is both a skilled mechanic and driver. For $55 and a little begging you can get the Micro-T's electronics package and a KT-5, and installed correctly into an Xmod it should already improve things drastically. If you're skilled with styrene, paper shims, superglue and files, you can take out almost all the slop from the suspension and drivetrain and align the suspension while you're at it. Add GPM wheels and Mini-Z tires and the cost will be about the same as a stock Mini-Z. Give the Xmod Atomic ball diffs and give the Mini-Z bearings and tires, and assuming the Xmod doesn't break (basically, assuming the owner is a **** good mechanic), it may be able to compete.

Yes, blasphemy, I know. The trouble is, the majority of Xmodders (sigh...) can't fathom at all how to deal with the manufacturing defects of the Xmod, namely electronics and plastic quality. So aside from that 22nd placed Xmod (mad props to him; that truly is determination), I don't think we'll see many Xmods that will ever be able to compete with the hobby-class car.

homestar21
2007.06.29, 05:06 PM
As a pretty experienced Xmodder, I have to say that in stock form, that video's about right. I'm sure some complaints are going to be along the lines of "you didn't upgrade the Xmod to Mini-Z's price, so obviously it can't be competitive".

So I also have this to say. I think it's possible for an Xmod to compete with a Mini-Z, if the Xmod owner is both a skilled mechanic and driver. For $55 and a little begging you can get the Micro-T's electronics package and a KT-5, and installed correctly into an Xmod it should already improve things drastically. If you're skilled with styrene, paper shims, superglue and files, you can take out almost all the slop from the suspension and drivetrain and align the suspension while you're at it. Add GPM wheels and Mini-Z tires and the cost will be about the same as a stock Mini-Z. Give the Xmod Atomic ball diffs and give the Mini-Z bearings and tires, and assuming the Xmod doesn't break (basically, assuming the owner is a **** good mechanic), it may be able to compete.

Yes, blasphemy, I know. The trouble is, the majority of Xmodders (sigh...) can't fathom at all how to deal with the manufacturing defects of the Xmod, namely electronics and plastic quality. So aside from that 22nd placed Xmod (mad props to him; that truly is determination), I don't think we'll see many Xmods that will ever be able to compete with the hobby-class car.

All of the above is basically what you accomplished with the X-waver, right? (sort of) I loved your X-waver, but I guess you weren't satisfied.
:D

Besides, when you mention a good mechanic, you did a good job with the X-waver... :)
I barely even touch my Xmods now though...

mk2kompressor
2007.06.29, 05:45 PM
im going to build tom another evo to try out,it will have a few of the most commonly used xmod upgrades.
spider v3
liths
atm awd motor
bearings
awd
carbon shaft
a few alloy bits to help the geometry ;)
gpm rims
alloy chassis

this may work out to be a bit more money than the z but i still doubt it will win.
i was thinking of putting an iw pcb into an evo,maybe next time :cool:

Programmers
2007.06.29, 05:57 PM
I got to give it to the last one that if the Evo could go a whole lap without not responding, the total lap time would have been a good 10/15 seconds shorter.

byebye
2007.06.30, 12:04 PM
im going to build tom another evo to try out,it will have a few of the most commonly used xmod upgrades.
spider v3
liths
atm awd motor
bearings
awd
carbon shaft
a few alloy bits to help the geometry ;)
gpm rims
alloy chassis

this may work out to be a bit more money than the z but i still doubt it will win.
i was thinking of putting an iw pcb into an evo,maybe next time :cool:

IMO I would dump the Liths. It only needs handling upgrades and slop taken out of it. Liths on any car are worthless unless you are on a big track with lots of straights and sweepers. It could definately use a motor upgrade.

Kris

mk2kompressor
2007.06.30, 06:12 PM
i was gonna fit the liths as most xmodders fit them,maybe we will keep the power supply the same and up the motor a little :)

Programmers
2007.06.30, 06:36 PM
Well, even though liths aren't nessasary, I reckon if we don't use them the first thing xmodders will say is... "If it had liths..."

So to include them, would just get it out the way and shut them up, haha.

color01
2007.06.30, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't write off Li-ion/poly as useless. Frankly, an Xmod Evo has such a weak servo that it needs 7.2V to function with any kind of speed. Then wind some kind of a high-wind motor (RIP Calvin, who made the crazy 70t pattern-wound armatures) and you can harness the 7.2V to the board without being excessively fast.

mk2kompressor
2007.06.30, 11:29 PM
thats what i was thinking tom,that motor sounds interesting mr 0,any ideas on the gauge of the wire?

Programmers
2007.07.01, 05:48 AM
Lol, 70t - it was propbably copper string!

yamar6
2007.09.03, 11:19 AM
every one says that the evo sucks. make it awd like it is built for and race with the awd kyosho.if the company took time and made everything tight and put a real radio in it. it would take the awd kyosho.the battery set up alone is 100 times better.plus the kyosho has the same problems.the gears strip the blue & gray chassis breaks

marc
2007.10.06, 08:22 PM
of course, what do you expect.
xmods - $25
mini-z - $125.

-Francis

Low price doesn't always mean poor quality, and high price doesn't always mean high-quality. Sometimes, it's opposite, but in this case it's true!