PDA

View Full Version : has anyone blown anything up with s4 motor?

Qball
2007.07.08, 07:37 PM
I have recently bought the new season 4 motor. It was awesome in practice and very fast. Now i was running at home and one of my fets blew up. Does anyone have any advice?

Albo
2007.07.08, 07:54 PM
replace them with new ones. The shop sells them. or you can buy a new board but that makes no sense.

arch2b
2007.07.08, 09:00 PM
no. i believe you are the 1st reported case of fried fets with this motor. several clubs have already tested the motor and have not reported any instances of fried fets with it's use.

what fets does your car currently have?
what gearing were you running?
how were you driving it when the fets fried?

the good news is if you know someone who is good with a soldering iron it would only cost about $4 to fix.

Qball
2007.07.08, 09:04 PM
my car has a mix of 3004s and 3010s. i will have to see what gearing i have on it. and will it matter if i have 98mm extension on it?

arch2b
2007.07.08, 09:06 PM
if you can ber very specific about the circumstances, it would help diagnose and possibly prevent future cases.

do you have access to someone capable of installing fets?

a possible reason could be the use of 3004 fets in an awd. the awd comes with 3010 for a reason :)

Qball
2007.07.08, 09:12 PM
if you can ber very specific about the circumstances, it would help diagnose and possibly prevent future cases.

do you have access to someone capable of installing fets?

a possible reason could be the use of 3004 fets in an awd. the awd comes with 3010 for a reason :)
gearing= 15 pinion and 29 spur
was bought from a friend of my dads and was the tuned kit not sure if the fet was replaced by anyone
was just showing my mom on the kitchen floor and turned it on and pulled the trigger and smoke

arch2b
2007.07.08, 09:14 PM
not to worry. if it is the fets, they are cheap to replace given access to someone with soldering skills. if you do not have this access, let us know as there are several members here that do these upgrades/repairs.

Qball
2007.07.08, 09:24 PM
not to worry. if it is the fets, they are cheap to replace given access to someone with soldering skills. if you do not have this access, let us know as there are several members here that do these upgrades/repairs.

Thank you for all the help
and I do have someone who is fet able!!!

arch2b
2007.07.08, 10:00 PM
cool, purchase the 3010 fets from the shop here, cheapest you'll find them in a shop.

i always suggest buying extra fets as they are easy to damage.

Albo
2007.07.08, 10:31 PM

which members do Stacked FET upgrades? I need my MA-010 done.

GrfxDan
2007.07.08, 11:30 PM
Pinwc4 blew the fets on his Firelap within a few minutes of running his new motor. I think the Firelap uses a different fet than the mr02, though. Maybe he'll chime in here with more details when he sees the post.

pinwc4
2007.07.09, 01:10 PM
Pinwc4 blew the fets on his Firelap within a few minutes of running his new motor. I think the Firelap uses a different fet than the mr02, though. Maybe he'll chime in here with more details when he sees the post.

I blew a FET but do not think it was because of the new motor. I think it was because of the abuse I did to my car just prior to installing the new motor. WOT repeatably while the car is stuck is just a dumb thing to do. I swapped the FET and have ran the new motor for quite a while without further incident.