PDA

View Full Version : best battery option

rc_speed
2007.07.09, 11:27 PM
hello,
Is there a best NiMH AAA battery that is better for racing than the others? They do not allow lipo at our track.
Are there any good suggestions on where to buy them?

thanks,
tim

imxlr8ed
2007.07.10, 01:35 AM
I've been running Rayovac Hybrids for a little while now, good punch and very long run time (scary long run time actually). And very available... you'll find them at most big stores.

Tons of options out there... Some mah ratings go as high as 1000mah. I always look for a punchy battery though.

Flashsp-2
2007.07.10, 02:42 AM
I think a good majority of folks would agree that the intellects are a very good battery. The shop here carries them at a pretty good price. The Sanyo Eneloops are also very punchy, have a good run time, they are a little pricy though. Just run a search on this site, you will find a wealth of information regarding what people think of certain cells.

byebye
2007.07.10, 06:37 AM
I've moved this thread to the batteries forum. There is some good information here rc speed.

Also Ebay has lots of aaa batteries also and for cheap. They make good practice batteries and you can buy them in bulk.

Kris

SuperFly
2007.07.10, 12:02 PM
I think it depends on what you are looking for in a battery as to which is the best option. Some batteries are really punchy at the start, but fade noticably within 8-10 minutes. Some aren't as punchy at the start, but are more even and consistent throughout the charge. Then there's the convenience of the 15-minute variety (IC-3s, Rayovak, Energizer, Duracell, RS, etc. all make them).

Personally, I've been using Rayovak IC3 and Energizer 900mah and like them both. I just got a MaHa C9000 charger/conditioner, so I'm going to try some of the 1000mah MaHa batts soon.

bermbuster
2007.07.10, 06:25 PM
i think having a good charger is just as important as having the correct cells....I came to mini z racing from larger scales and i started off w the intellects and i get awesome performance with them. I use a duratrax ice charger but i am now looking at the Lacross charger for the aaa cells.
I also have some gp800s i got from the store here....they work pretty good as well. I believe a really good charger will squeeze the most from a cell....
Do some homework and get a good charger...... :cool:

herman
2007.07.10, 10:37 PM
hmm...

good line of thinking bermbuster.... get good batteries, and a better charger... :D

but basically it's all up to you (and your budget i guess)... if you're just bashing... a regular 1 hour charger would be more than enough...

but if you're into serious racing... invest in a good charger... (there have been some good reviews on battery chargers on the forums)

going back to batteries.... i also believe that some reviews on batteries have been posted as well... good luck with your search (forum "search" that is... pun intended)

hope this helps... :D

TALLGEESE
2007.07.11, 02:37 PM
For racing and running for fun, I'd go with the Duracell 1000MAH batteries.. They last a long time and are worth the price (around 10dollars a set).. The Duracells also discharge very evenly, meaning they don't run good for 8-10minutes and then suddenly drop-off like other batteries out there. Another great thing about the Duracells is that they almost always charge above their rated capacity.. I've seen sets of Duracells rated at 1000MAH charge up to1300MAH or more before on a Lacrosse BC-900 charger.. Another battery that a lot of people use is the Intellect batteries.. These batteries are popular because even though they're only rated at 750MAH, they have a lot of punch, especially in the first 8-10 Minutes.. This makes these batteries very popular for HFAY racing, since the HFAY races are only 8 minutes long each.. If you go with the Intellects, be careful when charging them.. The Intellects occassionnaly have a tendency to "vent", when charging them.. One of my friends just got 2 sets of them and 1 of the batteries out of each set "vented" on him and almost ruined his brand-new Lacrosse charger.. He could have gotten a bad batch though.. I would'nt leave those batteries on a charger unsupervised, at least for the first few charges..

herman
2007.07.11, 11:56 PM
hmm... pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by batteries tending to "vent"?

NikeSB
2007.07.12, 12:20 AM
I believe battery "venting" is when a battery will "vent" gasses that are generated within the battery such as oxygen and hydrogen. I could be wrong though. I'm not sure how this could ruin a charger though. Any insight from some battery gurus?

imxlr8ed
2007.07.12, 10:01 AM
That's not venting... that's controlled explosion.

Venting is the slight hissing noise I get once in a while from my 10th scale cells, if there's loud venting or discharge from a AAA cell, enough to ruin a charger... that cell is toast.

Gasses build up in the cell and will occasionally vent, this is also a sign of crystalization of chemical compounds in the cell (not a good thing, crystals are essentially inert "fuel" in the cell). Cell zapping helps break these crystals down and extend the life of the cell, but I can't say it's really necessary for AAA cell types, they're so cheap, it's probably best to just buy new ones.

Yes... intellects are great at first, then they all take a dump eventually.

bermbuster
2007.07.12, 11:07 AM
i have had some intellects "weep" or leak....acid and this is what mostly likely happened......
what I learned is to gently break in the intellects when I charge them.
.375 amp for a few charges then .75 1/2c to 1 c charge rate

the cells i had weep still work......

TALLGEESE
2007.07.12, 03:55 PM
Hey guys, bermbuster pretty much described exactly what happened.. My friend had 2 sets of brand-new Intellect batteries "weep", and leak acid in the battery trays of his new Lacrosse charger.. My friend and me were charging batteries and working on our Mini-Z's at the time, and I heard a slight "hissing" noise coming from his charger.. I got up to check his charger, and discovered the acid leaking.. Since this was the first time he was charging the Intellects. We decided to use the lowest charge setting (200MAH) just to be on the safe side.. But the cells still leaked.. Like I said before, be careful when using these cells.. I'm not saying all Intellects are bad, you just need to pay extra attention to them while charging them..

NikeSB
2007.07.12, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the explanation, imxlr8ed.

CristianTabush
2007.07.19, 09:14 PM
The venting on Intellects is caused by overheating. With the Lacrosse charger, I have had very good luck by adding a 5V fan on top of the cells, that way at max charge, they are at around 85 deg F. This also extends your battery life and allows you to keep your batteries in better shape.

The Lacrosse charger is great BTW, just WAY better with a fan on the batts. It has a built in thermometer that will make the charger stop charging when it gets to 127 F. Many times there will be a read-out on the screen displayin 000, this means its stopped charging, not that it is done charging. Install a Fan and you will never again have this problem.

TheRinger
2007.08.13, 09:22 PM
I just bought 2 sets of intellects and I believe they are responseable for taking out my la crosse charger. I was racing this weekend and after charging the intellects on it now bank three says full even when there is no battery in it and I put batteries in the other slots, I can't set the charge rate so it starts at 200mah for a couple of seconds than times out or reads 000mah in the displays and stays that way. Ofcoarse I charge them at 700mah so its my fault. As far as batteries go, I have been using the same duracells 900 and 1000mah aaa batteries for over a year and they still charge above there mah rating, have a good amount of power, and run along time. The GP700's I have won't charge to 600mah, have a good amount of punch but fall flat on there face after 5 to 10 minutes. energizers are decent but don't last but a few months. La crosse 800mah are decent and are still kicking. After my very short expreince with intellects they do have the most punch and power for 8 to 10 minutes then fall off, but after what they might have done to my charger I will not buy anymore intellects. And not to be surprised the radioshack 700mah I have are weak and one set vented. But batteries are like anything else a personal choice so buy a set of batteries and try them out. And someone already said a good charger is also a good investment. And read up on the forums, lots of good info from alot of people who been doing this for a long time, I'm pretty sure if I read this forum before I charged the intellects on my charger it would still be working.

TALLGEESE
2007.08.15, 03:09 PM
Ringer, try hitting the positive+ and negative- terminals on bank three of you're Lacrosse charger with some fine-grit sandpaper{800-1200}.. You could also try using a Brillo pad or some other light abrasive material to clean-off the acid/discharge left over from the Intellects.. My friend did this to his charger and now it works fine.. In the future you might try putting a fan on the Lacrosse charger like Cristian said, that's a really good idea.. Especially if it makes you're batteries last longer...

hpgod
2007.08.20, 07:37 PM
I tried the sakar 1000mah batteries at walmart on a whime. They are Junk , they had less power the the xmods radio shack 700 batteries. They are way slower then a set of intellects I had on the shelf for a couple days partially run down. They are the worst AAAs I have ever seen.

TheRinger
2007.08.20, 07:52 PM
Ringer, try hitting the positive+ and negative- terminals on bank three of you're Lacrosse charger with some fine-grit sandpaper{800-1200}.. You could also try using a Brillo pad or some other light abrasive material to clean-off the acid/discharge left over from the Intellects.. My friend did this to his charger and now it works fine.. In the future you might try putting a fan on the Lacrosse charger like Cristian said, that's a really good idea.. Especially if it makes you're batteries last longer...
I cleaned the terminals especially bank 3 and I notice a couple days later they were severely coroded on the positive terminals bank 3 and 4 again, look down in the charger with a flashlight and notice crusty build up on the board. I think its a safe bet that the charger is ruined. :(