PDA

View Full Version : what to do with my MR01?

ch0p5y1ckz
2007.07.24, 10:18 AM
hey guys,

I have a old MR-01 which i havent played with in some time, cos i damaged it and never got round to fixing it. stuffed it in a drawer, and pretty much forgot about it. Anyways, I found it again, and i want to see if i can get hold of some parts to get it running again.

Pretty much all i need is a h-plate and a motor mount (maybe a few screws aswell), but im having trouble finding these parts. Any help?

thanks for any help

ch0p5y1ckz
2007.07.24, 10:32 AM
oh, also is it worth converting my MR-01 into MR-015? can it even be done (easily)? I guess just fixing the MR-01 would be cheaper, but I see some nice MR-015 bodies available :)

anyway if anyone can tell me my options and your opinions on them, would be grateful. thanks

im8im8
2007.07.24, 04:17 PM
oh, also is it worth converting my MR-01 into MR-015? can it even be done (easily)? I guess just fixing the MR-01 would be cheaper, but I see some nice MR-015 bodies available :)

anyway if anyone can tell me my options and your opinions on them, would be grateful. thanks

When it comes to auto scale bodies, any body that fit the MR-015 will fit the MR-01.

I would go with the conversion to either the MR-015 or MR-02. Running the MR-01 might cost you more down the road due to the fact that it has no servo saver and the parts are getting more difficult to find.

The conversion to MR-015 or MR-02 will cost you a bit of money up front but you can build a chassis to your liking (alloy parts and all that good stuff...)

imxlr8ed
2007.07.24, 04:26 PM
There is no reason an MR01 can't compete with any other car. With the right tuning (and a little lowering) these cars can handle just as well.

Here's a solo run with a near stock MR01:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4445612684228583032

And to solve the breakage issue... just make sure you're using a body with good frontal protection (NSX, early AMG Benz, C5... etc), just to make sure the wheels are sticking out.

ch0p5y1ckz
2007.07.24, 07:28 PM
When it comes to auto scale bodies, any body that fit the MR-015 will fit the MR-01.

I would go with the conversion to either the MR-015 or MR-02. Running the MR-01 might cost you more down the road due to the fact that it has no servo saver and the parts are getting more difficult to find.

The conversion to MR-015 or MR-02 will cost you a bit of money up front but you can build a chassis to your liking (alloy parts and all that good stuff...)

ok, thanks. um, I dont suppose you could give me a list of the stuff I need? also an approximate cost? thanks.

HammerZ
2007.07.25, 02:40 AM
The original MR01 mount and diff, has got to be slim pickins. If I had those parts I would hang onto them. If you want a driver, an MR02 RM mount with an MR02 diff would be a good investment. You will still need an MR01 H plate to attach it to the chassis. The MR02 rear can make a world of difference in the handling of the MR01 chassis. Left and right turns are very much the same, as the motor is now more centered between the rear wheels.
Parts list;
Mount, plastic or alloy MR02, MR015 RM type, also look into the HM type if you have a short body (Vit's, or Mini Cooper type).
Diff, stock gear or ball diff for the MR02, MR015. MR01 diffs are still easy to find, problem is they don't fit the MR02 spec mounts.
MR01 H plates, this is the only link that allows the MR02 mount to fit the MR01 chassis.

Keeping the MR01 main chassis isn't a bad idea. With the MR01 chassis getting harder to find it's nice to hold onto something classic. Changing over to an MR02 or MR015 main chassis will require some soldering on the board. On the soldering subject if your board has a fet stack (four or more high) that would have to be reworked for the board to fit the newer tubs.
Parts list; added to the above list.
Main tub, MR015 or MR02
Small parts set, for MR015, MR02
Screw set, MR02
MR02 servo saver
MR02 front end parts set
And misc. parts to complete.

In the end, your car, your choice.

ch0p5y1ckz
2007.07.25, 03:06 AM
so let me see if i understand... I can either keep my MR01 chassis and add a MR02 mount and diff, or I can take out the board of my current MR01 and transfer it into a MR015 chassis?

how much work is involved in the 2nd option? i got a fair bit of time, so I guess i could give it a go. never done anything like it before though, is there a guide available?

also, if i want to use some of the newer MR015 bodies, then am i correct in thinking that i will have to change the main chassis?

again, pricewise, what am i looking at roughly? im in australia, so whatever option i take, i would want to buy and ship all the parts in one shipping.

HammerZ
2007.07.25, 03:54 AM
The list is a quick rundown of what is needed. Hard to figure the cost as there are the stock parts and upgrade parts, that is a big factor on the cost as well.

You will be suprised at how many bodies can fit the old MR01 chassis, The mounts are all the same.

The reason I am holding off the total rebuild option, is the cost is more than what a chassis set can cost, in this case you will be into everything anyway. The Chassis set No.30370 for the MR015 one that I bought over a year ago is around $99.99. That's with the board and both the RM and MM rear mounts in the kit. Just add a crystal, batteries and your body and go.

This third option you have another car. Shop around and compare prices. And it will not hurt to download some manuals from the Kyosho sites.

ch0p5y1ckz
2007.07.25, 04:03 AM
ahh, I see. So, just to confirm with what I need to get my Z running again (sorry, I just dont want to get this wrong).

- MR02 or MR015 motor mount (are the 02 and 015 mounts the same? also I currently have the Mitsu Evo body, so is RM the right one?)

- MR02 or MR015 diff (again are the 02 and 015 diffs the same?)

- MR01 H plate

I assume I can purchase all this from the shop here?

thanks again for all your help

HammerZ
2007.07.25, 07:03 AM
They may just be labled as MR02 parts, but are the same part numbers for both chassis. Here are some shop links.

MR01F mount, like the MR02 RM that uses the MR02 diff.
I think this one comes with the MR01 plastic H-plate and chassis standoff.
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16713

MR02 RM (Rear Motor) mount. Has the MR02, MR015 T style plate.
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16731

HM (High Motor) mount, for the Vit's and Cooper bodies. Also has the T style plate.
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17489

Plastic gear diff for MR02 spec mounts.
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16695

The MR02 style ball diff.
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17007

ch0p5y1ckz
2007.07.25, 07:51 AM
thanks. Do I need to get all of those items?

With the first 2 items, do I need to get both? or are they the same?

Also, what is the difference between the last 2 items? Do I need both, or just one or the other?

Again, sorry with the questions. I'm pretty lost with this stuff

HammerZ
2007.07.25, 10:22 AM
These are the parts that I know would work. From searching the shop I found the MR01F mount set. It's the same as the MR02 RM set, exept for the plate that mounts to the chassis. If you get the first one, I suggest the HM to go with it. This way you still have the high /low for the different bodies, like the original mount had with the A part and B part. These unlike that are solid without that extra piece.

The last two diffs, the top one is the stock gear diff, and the bottom one is the ball diff. Yes, the ball diff costs more. I listed it so you have the choice.